Improvements to Competition Judging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy

Head Administrator
This year we’ve revamped how we do voting in competitions, and we thought we’d explain those changes to you so you could get a bit of insight in how we do it now!

The voting is divided up into a few different stages. The first stage involves going through the different rooms that have been submitted, taking pictures of all of them, copying the room descriptions, and placing a flag in the room. The person who placed the flag in your room did not necessarily vote on your room.

The second stage is the initial voting stage, each room gets voted on twice by two different staff in this stage, if they get a yes by either staff, they move onto the next stage, otherwise this is where the room will drop out. A good thing to note is that if any staff members may know the person who made a certain room, they wouldn’t vote on it and would leave it to another staff member.

The third stage involved a third staff going in and voting on any rooms that had both a yes and a no, if they got a yes in this stage, they would be put forward to the final stage.

The final stage is where all of the remaining rooms are put into a document (without the room owners, but with the picture and description visible) and they are all voted on with a scale of 1 to 10 for the three categories (creativity, theme and overall). All staff are asked to vote here, and if they know the person who made the room by sight of the room, they are asked to abstain from the vote for that particular room.

At the end of this, all of the votes from the final stage are tallied up and that’s where we get our winners.

The reason for the changes is because in previous years, it was one judge who decided if your room went onto the later stages or not, and we thought this way would be more fair and we would be more likely to get all of the best rooms through, without letting any of them fall through the cracks. Also, in older competitions, only HOSTs would be able to vote on rooms and each room would be assigned to a single HOST, who would decide if the room went through or not.

Magnumopus

Let the Light shine within me!
Thank you Amy and all of the staff for putting so much time and effort into making the event as fair as possible and making MYVMK such a darn blast!

I don't think the judging could be any fairer with the new system. Looks like a lot of time was spent trying to figure out how to make it as fair as possible.

I do have one question though, what happens if a room gets all the way to the final round and all the staff know who's room it is? Wouldn't it then mean that nobody can vote for it or is that a special circumstance? (I know it would be extremely rare for everyone to know exactly who built a room, but it could happen.)

princessindy

Sounds like a very well-thought plan of voting. My question is, one of my favorite aspects of my room is an object that moves in the room I don't think you would be able to realize what it is by seeing a still. Will what the judges see be just a still or will the picture move a little to show any movement in the room?

Amy

Head Administrator
Sounds like a very well-thought plan of voting. My question is, one of my favorite aspects of my room is an object that moves in the room I don't think you would be able to realize what it is by seeing a still. Will what the judges see be just a still or will the picture move a little to show any movement in the room?
They could ask to go and see the room.

I don't think the judging could be any fairer with the new system. Looks like a lot of time was spent trying to figure out how to make it as fair as possible.

I do have one question though, what happens if a room gets all the way to the final round and all the staff know who's room it is? Wouldn't it then mean that nobody can vote for it or is that a special circumstance? (I know it would be extremely rare for everyone to know exactly who built a room, but it could happen.)
I should have been clearer, it's not that they know who it is as much as it's if they know who it is and think they know them a little too well to judge their room purely on its merits. That's not to say I don't think our staff can vote fairly regardless of that, it's more of a precaution.

Not to beat around the bush or nothing, but Amy... I think many of your players are very suspicious as to how these rooms were judged and how winners were chosen. I really just wanted to put that out there... :huh:

aliceblue

IMO that room deserved the win, it was amazing. Forget about whose room it was and just look at the design of it
I agree; it's an amazing room.

But it's understandable if folks are upset by staff being allowed to enter their own rooms (albeit on player accounts) in this competition. Whether or not there is a stringent judging system in place, and whether or not it is being followed, the very fact that staff is voting on staff can't help but leave them open to accusations of partiality. And perception is everything when it comes to a leadership role.

I have to agree with others who have suggested separate competitions, with players voting on staff rooms and vice versa. There's a lot of building talent among staff and that would be a more appropriate way to showcase it.

Honestly, wouldn't it be a LOT more fun if we did have separate competitions? I would love to vote on staff rooms (anonymously; we don't need to know which staff built it) and have them able to win the prizes on their player accounts. I don't care if there are less staff and the same amount of prizes for both player/staff comps, because I do think staff put in a lot of hard work so that would be fair.

I don't know, I can just imagine Amy making a room full of pink things...obviously we might know it was her, but what if another staff secretly has a love of pink?! It would be fun!

Separate comps would be a very fun way to have players and staff get more involved on much friendlier terms, and I think help strengthen the community. Not every competition needs to be this way, but I think it would be tons of fun to have maybe a brand new competition of players vs staff :)

VMKfan

Honestly, wouldn't it be a LOT more fun if we did have separate competitions? I would love to vote on staff rooms (anonymously; we don't need to know which staff built it) and have them able to win the prizes on their player accounts. I don't care if there are less staff and the same amount of prizes for both player/staff comps, because I do think staff put in a lot of hard work so that would be fair.

I don't know, I can just imagine Amy making a room full of pink things...obviously we might know it was her, but what if another staff secretly has a love of pink?! It would be fun!

Separate comps would be a very fun way to have players and staff get more involved on much friendlier terms, and I think help strengthen the community. Not every competition needs to be this way, but I think it would be tons of fun to have maybe a brand new competition of players vs staff :)
@Amy

Kirllan

Forever Noob!
Ok, now for a rational spin on what I am observing. I can do this objectively because I did not want to enter in the first place, I did this because a friend bugged me to enter. I went into this contest KNOWING I would lose. I have no bitterness or mob mentality whatsoever. Take a moment, get away from your computer, go to a quiet place and think about this. A player on MyVMK takes time out from hanging with family and friends in their free time when they could be outside getting oxygen, giving to the poor, helping old ladies across the street. Nope, they are selfishly inside on their computer trading, playing games, saving credits and ultimately taking as much time as it takes to make the room for the room contest. They probably sacrificed time away from MyVMK friends to get this one big task done on time. NOW, just think of that thought process for a moment and understand ya it is just pixels, but pixels is not what this person is probably upset about. In virtual contest you do not win anything you can take into your home for life and use. You know very well that the prize you win will go away if MyVMK ever goes away. Winning is not about the pixels overall, but it is the principle behind winning. The satisfaction that a MyVMK Staff took time away from their friends, their family and many other obligations just to look at your room for only a moment and find satisfaction in it. It gives people a lot of perspective and faith in humanity to know that someone actually thought long and hard about your contest room and what it actually says, what story it is telling. That is what this really comes down to. How much do the Staff of any given online game consider about them as a player and their efforts. Now, if you are not a bit bitter about losing, then you obviously are not a human. :2cents:

Pirateboi

Competitions are for us to enjoy building win or lose. I personally think it takes a lot for a staff member to compete on their main instead of behind a clone account because of the drama it creates. That doesn't mean they should not be able to compete just because they are staff. At least they didn't hide the fact that they won. The room actually deserved to win in my opinion.

Keep this up there will be no competitions...
If you are always gonna complain about it just dont enter win or lose....

This isnt the only game that staff are allowed to win it happens in other games as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.