Pirate Display Dresser [UPDATED 9/10/15]

PirateStewy

Resident Pirate
(Not completely sure that this is the correct forum)

So, I am absolutely obsessed with pirates and love authentic-looking pirate memorabilia and décor.

It would be quite expensive to do up my room (expensive because I have VERY limited funds) and I am living in a rented house, so I am very limited in what I can do.
When considering what to do with my previously acquired pirate items, I realized that my dresser (formerly the side of a bunk bed my dad built) was only a head shorter than me. This meant that to put anything on there that I plan on constantly moving would be unwise and if something was moved in front, I wouldn't be able to see anything behind it that I may need.

So, I have dedicated the top of my dresser to be my Pirate Display with different items I have collected over the years.

Standing guard atop a small treasure chest is the infamous Barker Bird from the front of the pre-2006 Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Disney World.
The backdrop of the display is the Jolly Roger said to be used by pirate Edward England. It most closely resembles the flag used in the original POTC attraction.

Click the spoilers for close-ups and descriptions of each section!
The first section of the display has been dubbed my "Treasure Cove", where I host all of my valuable-looking loot. This is my favorite part of it because it is my favorite aspect of the classic pirates: the quest for fortune on their own terms.

This section features a total of 144 Spanish gold doubloons as well as a few smaller pieces of Spanish gold and silver opposite of the pile.

Frankly, it was hard to find more shiny golden goodies to add to this section, because that gets pricey, especially coins of that description. Or so I thought...

After years of being stuck with only having the Roman or Greek plastic gold coins with figures like Caesar on them available (which I refuse to use for anything "pirate"), I hoped that some day, it would click with toy producers that there was a lack of authentic-looking pirate-era toy coins.
Finally, that day has come.
For just over $5, one can purchase a package of 72 plastic gold doubloons. I have bought a pack of them from U.S. Toy and they really added to the scene.

Above the Treasure Cove is my "tip of the hat" Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, using the attraction's original poster.

This is special to me because it is for the attraction that sparked (or at least revealed to my parents) my interest in pirates when I was only 18 months old. The attraction had so much of an impact on me, that any time we visited MK, we HAD to go through the left tunnel under the train station as we entered the park because that is where its poster could be found, then the first ride we went on had to be POTC (or I would cry). The poster art was from the pre-2006 WDW version when the attraction was centered around treasure and fortune (in the words of Imagineers), rather than Jack Sparrow.

The old finale scene featured the drunken pirates celebrating in the piles of treasure while the Treasury's guards were tied to chairs on a large pile of loot. There was treasure EVERYWHERE. The entire area glowed with gold.

The centerpiece of my Pirate Display is a treasure map, but it is not just any treasure map...

For those West Coast Disney-goers, this map should be familiar. It is the map of Isla del Tesoro, the island through which you sail on the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. A large version of the map is displayed on a beach once you enter the attraction building through the queue at Disneyland's (CA) version of the attraction.
This year, the Pirates of the Caribbean attractions received a new wave of merchandise after the success of the "Haunted Mansion Authentic" line of merchandise. This map is one of the new items, and is by far my favorite. It is available at the POTC attraction gift shops for just over $4.

Fun Fact in the spoiler below!
The sword at the base of the map was given to me by a friend of my family who works on movie props, makeup, and practical effects.
When one of the Lord of the Rings films was being made, they had live actors standing in as Goblins/Orcs during a battle scene. They needed a bunch of weapons to put in their belts and sashes for effect, but needed a cheap way to do it. What they ended up doing was purchasing a bunch of toy swords, spray painting them, aging them, and decorating them with cloth, moss, fake mold, and fake blood.
Our friend was able to keep one of the ones that survived the filming and eventually gave it to me saying he thought I might like to use it for a Cursed Pirate costume.
Due to poor storage by my parents, the moss got scraped off, but it still looks awesome.

The far left side hosts ship supplies, mugs, jugs, a couple flags, a book covering The Lore of Ships, various weapons (including a real cutlass purchased in Historic St. Augustine, Florida.), and one very special piece of my collection...

The lantern is an anchor lantern from the late 1800s. It is attached to a wooden board and wrapped with ship's rope to prevent the base from crumbling and making a rusty mess.

The following are progression images that show the 3 main changes in how the display and its treasure section evolved.

Display:

Treasure:

What you see now is subject to change as new items are acquired (such as coins, boxes, chests, and ship supplies).

So, what do you think of my pirate display so far? Feel free to respond below!

Last edited:
SHE BE REFURBISHED!
The length of the display has finally pushed back into what used to be unused space in the corner of the room, allowing for a larger area to build on.
New additions:
- 3'x5' Jolly Roger (Edward England)
-Captain's Hat
-Skull
-72 additional gold doubloons
-19th Century anchor lantern

I was going to purchase a small (12" x 18") Spanish Cross of Burgundy, as the POTC attraction is centered around the raiding of a Spanish treasury and it is the flag flown by Spanish Treasure ships. There is even one hung near the WDW POTC. Alas, because the only ones available are shipped via UPS and have high shipping + handling cost, the flag is completely out of my budget.

I just put together a couple progression photos starting from when I first put the display together to how it looks today. The second one is of the official "start" of the treasure section all the way up to how it is now.

Display

Treasure

This looks great! I have so much pirate stuff lying around from when I was a kid...I just have to put it all together.