the "rare item" trap

Geggy

Well.. As CL_'s they would facilitate Stitch hat trades and leave before giving the the items to the players keeping the stitch hat and items traded. I remember a few Cl_'s that did that.

BUT another way is giving false promises or lying about the value of a rare just to take it from them.
I had never heard of a CL_ taking someone's items, not even rumored. Of course, anything is possible, but that person would not be a CL_ for long with that track record.

There are always people trying to lie about the value of items. I don't fault the person who offers the bad information, though. When I'm trying to determine the perceived value of an item, I certainly don't ask the person with whom I'm trading. That's just unintelligent trading.

I'm certainly not saying that there is no shady business with trades sometimes. I remember that I had one or two bad trading experiences, but those dealt with room codes, I believe. Ultimately, I moved on and learned from my mistakes as a novice trader.

The point of MMO's is to progress, just as games like VMK are to progress. Instead of lvling your character, you gain progress in the economy and social standing.

Instead of lvling your character, you gain progress in the economy and social standing.
True, but unlike other MMOs we now we have another problem to deal with. Not everyone plays by the same rules. Staff pretty much need access to unlimited resources to run their events and test and stuff, but there's still an issue of trust and of bias. If progress equals your net worth and social standing then who determines whether you win?

Again, we'll just have to see how bad it is when the game opens. Maybe everyone will be more respectful than what I saw from OVMK. That was quite frankly a disaster and I wouldn't want to see it again.

I love the challenge of trading - it gives me goals and reasons to play. But not everyone loves to trade. I also tend to be very giving helping players out with gifts of rare items. Rare can make people act poorly but it also allows people to act wonderfully! I love making people's day!!!!
:) agreed with pluto

Trading was always a fun aspect of the game. You only got ripped off if you weren't careful or if you didn't know what you were doing. Rarity should evolve as they game progresses, how can anything be rare on day 1?????

Buyer beware is the rule of thumb, dont trade if you don't know what you are doing, don't let people "just see how it looks", and don't count on fly by night traders thats all. I ran kiosk trading rooms everyday, and lines of people waiting to get in, because I was honest, and had no intention of scamming anyone or putting up with any "scammy" people. If they were afraid to trade me and then enter the kiosk, then "thanks anyway, and goodbye" was my answer. It will take time for an economy to develop anyways because where is everyone going to get credits to buy all these things with at best 1 minigame when the servers are opened? People are sure spending a lot of time on future "what if's".

Donlee

well from my point of view, trading and rares was what vmk was. i know alot of people don't understand the fun of it, or think EVERYONE should have EVERYTHING, but that's not how the game works. i myself used CL's alot on VMK for trades and never once had a bad experience. but it's not ONLY about trading either, on VMK i spent most of my time in my trade room, not trading, but making friends. i had some people that sat in there almost the whole time i was on, so you have to see that some people use their trade rooms as social rooms as well for friends and it gives them a different atmosphere besides the actual game rooms or other meeting places in game.

Myth

I actually really agree with the creator of this thread.

A great deal of people spend a lot of time trying to get an item, and when they do, all they do is show it off to make other people feel "less than" them for not having it. I know this is impossible to overcome, but the attitude towards other players needs to change if MVMK wants to thrive as a good economy and a well made recreation of VMK.

When you get a rare which other people want (you will, its almost inevitable to happen at some point in time), then be happy you got it. Don't crush other people down and make other people feel like they aren't "cool" enough for you or exclude others. This happened to me quite a few times on VMK when i didnt have a blue stitch hat and all my "friends" who did have it would exclude me from their group. Then when i got one they all acted like they were my best friend.

Just enjoy the game for what it is: and don't ridicule others over items. Play the game, make friends, and don't let your mind be over-saturated with rare values. Nuff said

It comes down to the individual. We all think and behave differently in certain scenarios. This isn't only an online thing, it happens in real life. The great thing about MyVMK is that you don't have to partake in things you don't want to. So enjoy what you want and don't let other people's behavior affect your good time in the game and community. :)

My thoughts exactly. That is well said :) But, some players in various games do like to rub it in other's faces though.

Donlee

i want to "chime in" on this issue....people keep saying..."rub it in people's faces"...'"showing off"...."acting like their better"....you guys are going off what a very few people on VMK did. the actual "traders" didn't walk room to room or around the kingdom of VMK showing off or acting like they were better than anyone. they sat in their rooms and traded,of course they had to have their items out because if they didn't then no one would know what they had for trade. and i can guarantee you that if anyone ever came in my trade room or the rest of the 99 percent of us that didn't act like that, they didn't get treated any different than anyone else. people really shouldn't judge a part of a game off a couple bad seeds, as people stated earlier...if you don't like trading or rares then do something else in the game, but just don't bring it down for the people that do like it.

As much as I understand what is being said here, I also need to emphasize how important it is for a community to have a stock of items. It gives the game more excitement, more need to play as well as all other aspects of the game. Yes, I know what you're talking about and I guarantee you that I can name every single person you're referring to. They do get bothery, but since VFK, people have gotten into a habit of creating multiple accounts and giving themselves credits, completing multiple quests and trading it to themselves, etc. If anything, give a limit as to how many accounts per IP you can have. Don't ruin the community's economy.

Without rares, there is no economy. If everybody has access to everything all of the time, there is no trading. Not everybody who has rares are greedy.

Back when I played VMK, I was considered "rich" because I had princess Minnie, Sparrow, a dream room, dream ears, magic pins, etc. I did have a lot, but I also shared a lot. I would trade firewalls for something like a sorcerer Mickey hat or single Kali chair. (not a good trade for me, but it helped others) I was generous with others and gave a lot away for nothing. I had mules that would have nicer stuff and I went around and gave stuff away just because. There were a lot of things I didn't have as well. I didn't mind sharing because I knew that they were just pixels, I couldnt take them anywhere in real life and that one day the game would probably close (and it did). I just wanted to enjoy the game and enjoy friends.....but I liked having different things, too. ;)

Ness

I think we should have a functioning economy. If there's no incentive to trade, or get cool items, it might hurt the game, because some people might stop logging on because there isn't a goal to work towards.

There's one big misconception with rares- that they're unobtainable, and that's what creates a negative connotation when you hear of a rare item or individual who has one. It's all based on personal preference. You dislike the idea of rares, personally I love it because it adds flare and a competitive scene to the game. If we all abide by your mentality we'd all be complaining about mini-games also that involve competition. ie: Fireworks and those who brag that they got first place. You're living in an idealistic world.

Rares help make this game interesting. I've played enough games where rares are a big part of it to know that the greater majority of those hate on rares are those who don't have them. The misconception that rares are unobtainable or near it, is so far from the truth. I know this, because it's how I used to think on RS until I actually ground out the hours to obtain things only the "elitists" had. The thing is, all it takes is time, and ANYONE can obtain ANY rare they want if you really put in the time and effort. And another thing... when you do obtain them, after the first 24 hours you're going to realize it really doesn't mean anything. That i'll give you, OP, in the end you'll get bored and... yeah. All there's really left to do is just horde items and increase in-game wealth. And once you've obtained all that you can, do what I do, make another account and start from scratch. =P

Rares add a level of excitement and mysticism to the game. For example, how many exist? How many does so-and-so have? Rumors start and spread about people "I heard ____ has 10 of such-and-such item and 1 million credits." The whole mysticism of rares and the community it spawns is quite fun if you're in the midst of it.

Want to know the best part of it all? You're here on MyVMK at the best possible time- the very beginning. The beginning of any game is where the foundation for rares and the regulating of in-game trade "economy" (economy doesn't really exist in MyVMK, but i'll use it for this level of understanding for everyone) is begun. You'll be here with me and everyone else to help kick-start, watch and help grow the rare item trade. It's the time to make a name for yourself, to establish yourself in the community the way you'd like to be known among US, the community of those who will have been here from the beginning.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity. Rares can be fun as long as the foundation of the rare's community isn't tainted with flamboyant children who think they're cool because they have an item that's considered exclusive. You and I, and anyone else who does care about rares, will be among the first to obtain them. So venture outside your comfort zone!

Donlee

There's one big misconception with rares- that they're unobtainable, and that's what creates a negative connotation when you hear of a rare item or individual who has one. It's all based on personal preference. You dislike the idea of rares, personally I love it because it adds flare and a competitive scene to the game. If we all abide by your mentality we'd all be complaining about mini-games also that involve competition. ie: Fireworks and those who brag that they got first place. You're living in an idealistic world.

Rares help make this game interesting. I've played enough games where rares are a big part of it to know that the greater majority of those hate on rares are those who don't have them. The misconception that rares are unobtainable or near it, is so far from the truth. I know this, because it's how I used to think on RS until I actually ground out the hours to obtain things only the "elitists" had. The thing is, all it takes is time, and ANYONE can obtain ANY rare they want if you really put in the time and effort. And another thing... when you do obtain them, after the first 24 hours you're going to realize it really doesn't mean anything. That i'll give you, OP, in the end you'll get bored and... yeah. All there's really left to do is just horde items and increase in-game wealth. And once you've obtained all that you can, do what I do, make another account and start from scratch. =P

Rares add a level of excitement and mysticism to the game. For example, how many exist? How many does so-and-so have? Rumors start and spread about people "I heard ____ has 10 of such-and-such item and 1 million credits." The whole mysticism of rares and the community it spawns is quite fun if you're in the midst of it.

Want to know the best part of it all? You're here on MyVMK at the best possible time- the very beginning. The beginning of any game is where the foundation for rares and the regulating of in-game trade "economy" (economy doesn't really exist in MyVMK, but i'll use it for this level of understanding for everyone) is begun. You'll be here with me and everyone else to help kick-start, watch and help grow the rare item trade. It's the time to make a name for yourself, to establish yourself in the community the way you'd like to be known among US, the community of those who will have been here from the beginning.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity. Rares can be fun as long as the foundation of the rare's community isn't tainted with flamboyant children who think they're cool because they have an item that's considered exclusive. You and I, and anyone else who does care about rares, will be among the first to obtain them. So venture outside your comfort zone!
agree 100 percent, very well said!

I think any game out there that has items, and has the trading option, has rare items. I strongly believe its the truth so I can say that VMK would be extremely boring for many people if there was no kind of rare trading involved. It may feel crappy not having rare items that others have, but virtual items won't make someone act stuck up or rude, its something already inside that person that makes them act that way.

Maybe someone will clarify how things got rare in VMK, I was not playing the first year it came out. As I understand there were Beta items ( never again released), rare items released once and never again, items won or given by hosts, and items gotten through Disney purchases. My point is there won't be "purchased items", so most likely initially there is really nothing rare. Later on, items released early on and not released again, will be rare, and as new players come in there will be tings they never got the chance to get etc. Trading and rares is certainly a fun part of the game for many and of no interest to others. You get to play a game the way you want to.

Someone commented that they were excluded by their friends when they didn't have a stitch hat, then when they got one they were included...... These were not friends, friends don't care what you have or don't, I have to assume these were young people involved there.

People starting now will have the opportunity to obtain things as they come out and become available, later some things will be rare, and others will want to trade for them, so let the fun begin!

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Items simply either: 1. became rare over time as they were never re-released after their initial release. 2. The demand for the item was so high that they were so forth called as "rare" when in reality they were not very rare at all but in great desire.

I would say that calling the rare item a trap would pertain to Number 2. Right now many people are trying to get a schedule set to release items for a certain time so that they are immediately rare. I find this wrong and exclusively against what VMK did. We didn't demand them to take thing off the shelves, they told us when they would and I believe that is what the staff of MyVMK should do when they are ready to do so.

Nothing is going to be that rare for the first couple months unless something like the above happens. People need to be patient for this process of an item becoming rare. You do not force an item to become valuable unless it's in high demand such as the stitch hats in VMK. Everything will happen with time and as more people come to play. Let's not force things as I don't want their to be set statuses in the game in like a week as we all jump off into Day 1 here of MVMK.

Daniella

My favorite part of the game is trading. It's not about a "Hey look, I'm better than you!" it's a token showing how hard you worked to attain an item. Rare items make the game go round, if you don't like trading, don't trade!

Maybe someone will clarify how things got rare in VMK, I was not playing the first year it came out. As I understand there were Beta items ( never again released), rare items released once and never again, items won or given by hosts, and items gotten through Disney purchases. My point is there won't be "purchased items", so most likely initially there is really nothing rare. Later on, items released early on and not released again, will be rare, and as new players come in there will be tings they never got the chance to get etc. Trading and rares is certainly a fun part of the game for many and of no interest to others. You get to play a game the way you want to.

Someone commented that they were excluded by their friends when they didn't have a stitch hat, then when they got one they were included...... These were not friends, friends don't care what you have or don't, I have to assume these were young people involved there.

People starting now will have the opportunity to obtain things as they come out and become available, later some things will be rare, and others will want to trade for them, so let the fun begin!
It can be multiple different things. The main reasons being... items are released for a period of time then discontinued [Discontinued items automatically become rare by the simple fact that they will never be released again, HOW rare is dependent upon how many are in the game]. Items are "lost" due to people quitting [People don't believe that can affect rarity, but it does. The rare trade community will always always be aware of who the "richest" people are, who has the most items... WHERE rare items are, who has them, etc etc. It will always be a factor when accounting for the known/suspected supply of ____ rare item].

However, none of the above matters in the beginning of any game involving rare trade, just like Daze said. People will claim "such-and-such item is rare," when in actuality it isn't. Technically yes, but technically no. If people are trading items as considered rares, they're stupid, hate to put it that way but they are. Only months or even a year+ down the road will we really be able to label anything rare or worthy of a "price tag."

There's one really really important thing you need to realize. MyVMK, VMK, isn't a new game. We've all played it, we all knew what items were rare and what items to horde. That's the problem, expectancy. If everyone expects an item to be rare it most likely won't. Why? Because everyone will be hording that item. It'll be very difficult for rares to be established in this game because that's the widespread mindset, "acquire items to be considered rares, horde them." And because of that, value will depreciate before the item even releases. lol -

I've already used RS3/ 07 as my parallel before but i'll say it again. In RS Partyhats became rare because they were discontinued and no one really knew that years later they would be worth BILLIONS. 07 servers came along and everyone voted for "rares" to be re-introduced somehow into the 07 servers, because of prior knowledge of what happened, the price of Partyhats and other rares were literally 500K~ when I gave 07 a shot (probably even less now). Why did that happen? Because everyone EXPECTED it, they knew what had happened before, but because of that the price wasn't even in the same galaxy as RS3 prices.

The same can apply to VMK, we all know what was rare and everyone's expecting the same to happen, but because of everyone's up and coming actions everyone will actually cause the opposite to happen... However, that's contingent upon the manner Amy chooses to reintroduce the items, so I can actually be wrong if she does it the "right" way when introducing items into this game.