What's the rarest item in the game?

It's hard to say. Most would consider the Backwards Cap the most rare but the Firewall was only out for a day so I'd consider that the most rare.
How? It's not about days, but volume.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I'd consider the gas mask even an item yet since it's not in circulation just yet. It's more exclusive just to staff and Tink for the time being.
Still has one in circulation. Which makes it rare.

Fiyero

There are only 170 something (somewhere around there) Flip hats in the game right now. There are much more firewalls. Flip Hat is the rarest item that isn't gas mask.

Between two host hunts and the spinner game, there's probably comparable numbers of clocks and flips in game. Flip still seems noticeably more valuable based on trade threads presently. Clothing, pins, and magic will almost always trump furniture as a function of being able to show case them without dragging people into your room. Also, It's quite likely many more clocks will come into circulation since we're only half way through the month.

Likewise, fireworks is quite rare, but the opportunity to get it is still ahead of us and reduces the value of those already in circulation.

Fire windows and bat magic are the closest thing we have to transferable currency, not rare, but hold the highest "non-rare" value in game.

Gas mask is an outlier and really doesn't factor into valuations at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

InaDaze

The Confused One.
I still think it's a little too early to really have a good discussion on this. There's still so much ahead and who knows what might happen that might make an item of a true rarity.

The only thing I consider rare and actually has value to me is the Green Flip Hat. There are numerous fire walls in the game and only rare due to their demand. This is just my humble opinion on the matter.

Gas Mask = untradable

If it isn't something we can trade, it has absolutely no value whatsoever. /Debunked

I'm skeptical as for whether it's the clock or flip. Unless Amy can give us a number I think it's speculation right now.

Flip is just more desirable so I think that gives it the illusion that it's more rare. Clock might actually be more rare in terms of items in circulation. I could be and am probably wrong, but who knows. I didn't forget about the FW magic, i'm factoring in that it'll be released in the future so I put no current value on it. People over-value things because they're impatient. Albeit does have CURRENT value TECHNICALLY, but in the future it'll depreciate.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
There are fewer clocks than Flip hats, obviously, so technically clocks are rarer than Flip Hats. Fireworks Magic, which only I think one person or a few have, is the most rare item in-game, I think.

I wouldn't even consider fireworks magic rare because it was already announced to have a soon release, so why give up past items that are gone for awhile for an item that has a guarantee release? meh...

- - - Updated - - -

and personally i see the clock as the most rare up to this point

Snaps

mischief managed
rarity is determined by two things: supply and demand.

while there are fewer grandfather clocks in the game than flip hats, flip hats are in higher demand. therefore, flip hats are considered more rare than grandfather clocks.

also, while flip hats were supplied in a greater amount, the grandfather clock still has an element of "i have another chance to try to get it".

it's basic economics. x]

(i've actually gotten offers for my flip hat to be a grandfather clock + other things. so that would make the flip hat more valuable than the clock)