Why Shells Were A Bad Idea

I agree with you 100 percent. Thank you for posting this.

- - - Updated - - -

when flip retired they didnt have the shells. so yes they did start the economy early with no way to really earn a lot of credits
oh okay. that i didn't know. i take back what i said about the green flips, then.

also, those two rooms aren't all that great. i was in the bazaar and i could only get three shells in like ten minutes. i don't know if i'm just not fast enough, but i prefer the smaller rooms.

relizabeth

oh okay. that i didn't know. i take back what i said about the green flips, then.

also, those two rooms aren't all that great. i was in the bazaar and i could only get three shells in like ten minutes. i don't know if i'm just not fast enough, but i prefer the smaller rooms.
i think they should have made it a quest. its just to laggy in those rooms with everyone. It should be like you get a clue like go to where you can watch a movie and then you go to the scify dine in and get the shell there that only you see while on the quest. That would be the best way to do it.

Shrimp

I agree wholeheartedly with you... on some aspects.
Roughly 41 (aint gonna count again) x 750 = 30,000+ creds

Let's not forget the other expensive rooms.

You expect me to believe he earned 30k from collecting shells? Did he start collecting them before MVMK opened to the public? I see no other logic here...

relizabeth

Roughly 41 (aint gonna count again) x 750 = 30,000+ creds

Let's not forget the other expensive rooms.

You expect me to believe he earned 30k from collecting shells? Did he start collecting them before MVMK opened to the public? I see no other logic here...
Tons of people on today were bragging about how many thousands of dollars they made but collecting shells. Most of them were making 10k an hour if they just stayed in one of the two rooms the whole time.

Jasmine

highly doubt he got 30k credits just from shells especially when i've only seen him in guest rooms today.
I saw him in one public room this morning... He wasn't collecting any shells though. He was warning us about stuff being retired.. (If that's who I think it is.)

I completely agree. The shells are a good idea, but cause too much trouble, and they're honestly not worth it. Plus, the lag has been absolutely terrible at times today! =/

I freaking hate the shells with a passion. Why? Because for some reason, most of the time my character won't move when I click on a shell, even if it's right next to me. It's a really cool idea (I guess) but it doesn't work.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I thought the shell system was fun. Then I went to the Bazaar, and realized that people are taking it too seriously. Crazy.

booglie

I agree with a lot of what foamy is saying, but at the same time, i have force myself to go into a "i just have to deal with it" mindset in order to enjoy the game.

I freaking hate the shells with a passion. Why? Because for some reason, most of the time my character won't move when I click on a shell, even if it's right next to me. It's a really cool idea (I guess) but it doesn't work.
^you have to be the first one to click it for your character to move to it

S

Spivey

Like I don't see why, if there are people with 30,000 credits, why you can't just do the same? The more money people have the higher the prices will eventually go and the less money people will have.

Plus the shell game is probably temporary.

I agree with some of the stuff you said about the economy but I feel like the staff are pushing for one this early because the players are being just as pushy to get items that are rare.

On the other hand I think the Shells Game was a great idea. So what if people want to spend all day in a room collecting shells? That being said, I don't think there should be rooms where more shells appear because that gives certain people a really big advantage. If there was a queue system in place then it would be a little better... or even a way to ciculate the people in there but there isn't so...

Overall I think the shells were an excellent solution to the credit problem and I praise the staff for thinking it up.

I do agree with some of this, but not all of it.

I was one of the people who constantly said I was annoyed at the amount of credits per hat when it took us an entire day to get 2000 credits with NPCs. That being said, having ICON run around saying "THE SHELLS ARE COMING, THE SHELLS ARE COMING" took me by surprise and when it happened - I was like a little girl in a candy shop. However, my interest very quickly fell when it became a fight. People went into rooms telling people to sc**w off because someone took two in a room. People were calling others names for not moving when one went under a character and people just became flat out obnoxious and greedy.

A little more planned out would've been great, such as a 50-100 shell limit for the day. The fact that people are walking around with 30,000 credits now doesn't make me happy, because now when something comes out, there's no longer the economy. There's people who can afford to spend 4 hours in "Super Shell" room (Quest Quarters, Bazaar) and those who work or were constantly trapped in a room that fell from five people to three, cause nobody really played alone. So a new item comes out, the 30,000 credited people can go buying multiple items while the others have to run around and hope it doesn't leave the catalogue before it's too late.

The fun part about BETA was that although people didn't have credits, the economy was created in an amazing way. People saw their credits at 2,500 and instantly thought, "Okay, I have to get Mickey Ears and... I think I want the tiara first!" and that's TOTALLY fair. Sure, nobody expected the flip hat to retire so soon, but people made their choice when they purchased their hat - In the end, they got the hat they truly wanted and you should never stock up on something that you assume will have value - I'm telling you now, the Mickey Ears will not.

I'm guilty of keeping a few extra Mickey Ears, firewalls and ice cream carts in my inventory just because I wanted to be prepared but I do not think anybody deserves to the right to call it unfair just because they didn't want the flip hat in the first place. One thing I said to a friend of mine when the flip hat retired was, when noticing how many people put it on after that, "HAH everyone's wearing a flip hat now... What show off's" because it's true. The flip hat now is a call for attention and the only reason I haven't taken mine off is because I wore it the second I bought it, while everyone else was prancing around with Mickey Ears.

I, too, asked Kevin directly, in the shoutbox, whether things would leave without our knowledge and he said they wouldn't. Tons of people saw this and the next day, it happened anyway. I'll tell you I was slightly disappointed in him for going back on his word but in the end, the economy has to start somewhere and so it did.

It's not forcing an economy, it's just pushing unnecessary amounts of credits into the game. Which in my opinion is a very bad thing for any game... Amy really really needs to create a money sink later on... that or create items that cost a fortune, because having a stupid amount of credits flood the game won't be good in the long haul.

relizabeth

I do agree with some of this, but not all of it.

I was one of the people who constantly said I was annoyed at the amount of credits per hat when it took us an entire day to get 2000 credits with NPCs. That being said, having ICON run around saying "THE SHELLS ARE COMING, THE SHELLS ARE COMING" took me by surprise and when it happened - I was like a little girl in a candy shop. However, my interest very quickly fell when it became a fight. People went into rooms telling people to sc**w off because someone took two in a room. People were calling others names for not moving when one went under a character and people just became flat out obnoxious and greedy.

A little more planned out would've been great, such as a 50-100 shell limit for the day. The fact that people are walking around with 30,000 credits now doesn't make me happy, because now when something comes out, there's no longer the economy. There's people who can afford to spend 4 hours in "Super Shell" room (Quest Quarters, Bazaar) and those who work or were constantly trapped in a room that fell from five people to three, cause nobody really played alone. So a new item comes out, the 30,000 credited people can go buying multiple items while the others have to run around and hope it doesn't leave the catalogue before it's too late.

The fun part about BETA was that although people didn't have credits, the economy was created in an amazing way. People saw their credits at 2,500 and instantly thought, "Okay, I have to get Mickey Ears and... I think I want the tiara first!" and that's TOTALLY fair. Sure, nobody expected the flip hat to retire so soon, but people made their choice when they purchased their hat - In the end, they got the hat they truly wanted and you should never stock up on something that you assume will have value - I'm telling you now, the Mickey Ears will not.

I'm guilty of keeping a few extra Mickey Ears, firewalls and ice cream carts in my inventory just because I wanted to be prepared but I do not think anybody deserves to the right to call it unfair just because they didn't want the flip hat in the first place. One thing I said to a friend of mine when the flip hat retired was, when noticing how many people put it on after that, "HAH everyone's wearing a flip hat now... What show off's" because it's true. The flip hat now is a call for attention and the only reason I haven't taken mine off is because I wore it the second I bought it, while everyone else was prancing around with Mickey Ears.

I, too, asked Kevin directly, in the shoutbox, whether things would leave without our knowledge and he said they wouldn't. Tons of people saw this and the next day, it happened anyway. I'll tell you I was slightly disappointed in him for going back on his word but in the end, the economy has to start somewhere and so it did.
yes the hat going away wasnt what upset me the most. which by the way kevin has no say in when things come and go only amy does. its the fact that people are stocking up on things because they have a million credits. some people were telling me this morning they played all night and had almost 100k. that is whats going to kill the economy. and the mickey ears will be rare eventually but it takes time. amy is trying to push an economy the first few days of the game. its not about what you put in and out of the shops and for how long but its about giving it time. There were items that were sold the entire beta on vmk and were super rare within 6 months.

Noir

Pumpkin Queen
To be honest, I think the shells are pretty neat! And I actually never found it hard to get into either of the rooms yesterday, maybe 5 minutes at the most was my wait time from clicking back and forth constantly

I earned just over 21k from the shells yesterday so i'm quite happy about it :)