Why Shells Were A Bad Idea

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I'm sorry that you feel this way, but I recall a game where THE only way to get money was to click on NPCs. People were upset and they wanted a game. Well, here is your game, and I'm still seeing complaint after complaint.
Honestly, people, the shell game isn't doing harm. If anything, it's helping things - items are circulating through the shops at an alarming rate.
So, the people of the forums will never be happy. There will be those people that want a game and there will be those people that are sore because a game exists. The amount of people that are against the game are fewer than those that want the game. Unfortunately, I don't see Amy changing things until a permanent way to receive credits is released.
I agree Acey, I just wish people wouldn't try to keep other players from partaking in the shells on occasion. It's not every day, but it's happened to me once, and others have said so as well. Blocking exits so no one can get in, is a tad much.

- - - Updated - - -

Collecting shells at Matterhorn and the Emporium HAS GOT TO GO.
That's true Shrimp! Never thought of it before. I just went in to collect NPC creds and got caught up in collecting the shells. Definitely shouldn't be allowed in NPC rooms, clogs things too much.

To be honest, I'm extremely grateful this shell game was put in. Everyone should be grateful for this because we don't have any other games yet. This game is just a placeholder until the other ones are released. I haven't ever had a problem getting into Adventureland Bazaar or Captains Quest Quarters either, okay maybe clicking a few times every few seconds, but, to me, that was painless. Also, most people I've talked to like this way of getting credits until we have something better.

pluto-pluto

So Mod! AKA Moderate Moderator
Just some questions I have - no right or worng answers - just some ?'s I have after reading this thread...

If someone wants lots of money - and they work hard long hours to get it.... is that greed?

If another person does not have as much time to play a game.... does that mean others should be limited as to what they should be allowed to do or how long they should be able to play..... so as not to get anything more then the people who can not play as much?

When a group of people team up and work together to achieve a higher goal then they could alone.... is this not fair to those who have less friends?... so should it not be allowed for friends (old & new) to teamwork to a higher goal..... or should we all be required to work alone because some people do not have a social group?

Blocking the door of a public room is no good.... but if the groups are in a private room they really can have who ever they like in there and do anything with in the "laws".... unless there will be a rule saying you have to allow everyoe in your room. So that said when you go to a room and you don't like what you see, people being mean for example, do you feel it should be mandatory for you to be able to stay in that room.... on the flip side of that, when you open a room, if someone came in and was not enjoyable (but not breaking any rules) should you have to keep them in your room?

Just some things to think about - interested in what folks have to say.

I have really enjoyed the clams - I only do it when I am bored but it was a crazy party. I was able to get into pop clam rooms after trying a bunch a times, but if people teamed up more other rooms would have just as many clams (I am quite sure it i sbased on the number of poeple in the room).

OK :) Have a good day everyone ((hugs)) - Pluto

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Just some questions I have - no right or worng answers - just some ?'s I have after reading this thread...

If someone wants lots of money - and they work hard long hours to get it.... is that greed?

If another person does not have as much time to play a game.... does that mean others should be limited as to what they should be allowed to do or how long they should be able to play..... so as not to get anything more then the people who can not play as much?

When a group of people team up and work together to achieve a higher goal then they could alone.... is this not fair to those who have less friends?... so should it not be allowed for friends (old & new) to teamwork to a higher goal..... or should we all be required to work alone because some people do not have a social group?

Blocking the door of a public room is no good.... but if the groups are in a private room they really can have who ever they like in there and do anything with in the "laws".... unless there will be a rule saying you have to allow everyoe in your room. So that said when you go to a room and you don't like what you see, people being mean for example, do you feel it should be mandatory for you to be able to stay in that room.... on the flip side of that, when you open a room, if someone came in and was not enjoyable (but not breaking any rules) should you have to keep them in your room?

I have really enjoyed the clams - I only do it when I am bored but it was a crazy party. I was able to get into pop clam rooms after trying a bunch a times, but if people teamed up more other rooms would have just as many clams (I am quite sure it i sbased on the number of poeple in the room).

In my opinion, it's only greed if you try to stop other players from partaking as well. If you're working your hardest to earn something fairly, it's not greed at all. If you try to purposely diminish another's chances for personal gain, that's where the greed lies.

As for the issue people seem to keep bringing up that "I couldn't get on to play, it's not fair." The issue there is, it's no ones fault you didn't have a chance to play. Should that diminish others chances? Absolutely not. It's all circumstantial, it's unfortunate, but true. Like Jedi said in another thread regarding the shells, Communism isn't good in theory, or practice. We can't please everyone.

Everyone is entitled to do what they wish, as long as within the rules, in their own private rooms of course. But given that the shell game is only available in public rooms, that's where that issue lies, blocking exits/entrances to keep your chances of getting the shells higher, and purposely diminishing another's when it's not your right to do so, is greed. Keeping someone out of a public room their entitled to, is an issue.

As for the teamwork aspect, it's not anyone's responsibility to worry about a player that might have less friends in their network to work with. It's everyone's personal preference though, on whether they want to include others or not.

These are of course just my opinions. :)

Shrimp

Collecting shells at Matterhorn and the Emporium HAS GOT TO GO.
I agree
Awww, poor Shane. You have issues collecting your daily doses of credits too? And sometimes during the process you can't help being caught up on collecting a shell right in front of your foot... and then it begins...

I'm sure the spawn of shells could be set to zero for those two rooms if Captain's Quarter and the Bazaar can have herds of them.

relizabeth

it is greed when other players are blocking the way so you cant get any shells. and the reason most people are upset about it is because people spend all day in there. I have all day to play too but after spending 10 minutes of constantly clicking to get in i finally do. Once in because i have a slower internet connection the lag is horrible. I try to get the shells but by the time they show up on my screen someone else is already pretty much on top of it collecting it. Its not that i dont have the time to collect thousands of credits its that my internet just cant keep up with full rooms. And yes those that have 50k plus and are still in there hogging the room is being greedy. I dont mind the shells i just dont think there should be two rooms that you make more in then other rooms. And no more people in any room doesnt make more shells i have tried. You have to have 5 people and then they only show up one at a time and only so often. While the other two rooms have five showing up constantly.

Question

Very Questionable
I've found the shell game to be pretty interesting. I've made 50k but I decided to stop after that so I can let other people get some shells.

We often complain about not having many opportunities to get credits because we only had Esmeralda and The Yeti, so I think the shell mini game was a great idea

Laff

I've found the shell game to be pretty interesting. I've made 50k but I decided to stop after that so I can let other people get some shells.
That's why I like the shell game. You can make a lot of money if you invest the time, and I think that's fair. I'd agree that they should be taken out of Emporium and Matterhorn, though, at least until instances are set up.

Daniella

I personally think you're overreacting. An economy is the basis for a game. OVMK had virtually no economy, and I found myself getting bored of it on day 3. Some people actually like the evolution of an economy, don't try to ruin it for them. Do you remember inferno in VMK? Extremely rare and hard to obtain, but whose to say that's a bad thing? I disagree with you, I believe there are tiers. Like you were saying, people stocked up on firewalls. Both the firewalls and flip hats were retired, but the flip hats are clearly on a much higher tier than firewalls. Why would an early start to an economy be a bad thing? It's going to happen eventually, and allowing a free-for-all for more than 2 days is upright boring. As for the shells, you really need to clam down. Heh. It's a replacement for our mini-games, seeing as they are in the works. It's not a difficult game requiring skill because it was most likely created in a number of hours, maybe even less. It's a way to gain quick credits, making the players who are dedicated and spend time collecting shells able to afford what they wish to own. You are also making a such a big deal out of having two rooms as clam headquarters. It is just a game, and with that, if everyone were to have such a huge advantage in every single guest room, credits would be ultimately worthless. Prices would have to rise. It may not take skill to play the game, but it sure takes a lot of patience, and clearly you have none. Maybe in this case, patience is key. Maybe patience is the "skill" that you say shell collecters seem to "lack".

relizabeth

I personally think you're overreacting. An economy is the basis for a game. OVMK had virtually no economy, and I found myself getting bored of it on day 3. Some people actually like the evolution of an economy, don't try to ruin it for them. Do you remember inferno in VMK? Extremely rare and hard to obtain, but whose to say that's a bad thing? I disagree with you, I believe there are tiers. Like you were saying, people stocked up on firewalls. Both the firewalls and flip hats were retired, but the flip hats are clearly on a much higher tier than firewalls. Why would an early start to an economy be a bad thing? It's going to happen eventually, and allowing a free-for-all for more than 2 days is upright boring. As for the shells, you really need to clam down. Heh. It's a replacement for our mini-games, seeing as they are in the works. It's not a difficult game requiring skill because it was most likely created in a number of hours, maybe even less. It's a way to gain quick credits, making the players who are dedicated and spend time collecting shells able to afford what they wish to own. You are also making a such a big deal out of having two rooms as clam headquarters. It is just a game, and with that, if everyone were to have such a huge advantage in every single guest room, credits would be ultimately worthless. Prices would have to rise. It may not take skill to play the game, but it sure takes a lot of patience, and clearly you have none. Maybe in this case, patience is key. Maybe patience is the "skill" that you say shell collecters seem to "lack".
except for those that cant go in the rooms because the game freezes because of the amount of lag. I have the patience to play but not the patience to get one shell every 10 minutes because by the time i see them on my screen someone else is already on top of it collecting it.

I personally thought the shells were a good idea. It was a way to get credits since there aren't any games and only two NPCs. If someone wants to spend their time clicking on the shells to get 30k that's their choice. It's just a game after all.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly content with how the economy has formed. It would be quite boring it we all walked around, getting NPC's daily (if shell game didn't exist) and getting the same things.....In fact, I sort of wish they took something (something little maybe) away from the catalog each day. It's actually a thrill.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally thought the shells were a good idea. It was a way to get credits since there aren't any games and only two NPCs. If someone wants to spend their time clicking on the shells to get 30k that's their choice. It's just a game after all.
This too....shells were a great idea. It helped us all get our feet wet a little. Some might play more than others, that's why apparently they have 30k? But they're just working for it and I think that's fine...go them :)

- - - Updated - - -

This too!

I'll say it again until it sinks into everyone's thick skulls...

There is TECHNICALLY no economy in this game. Why? Because you can't trade credits, there's no in-game currency, and even if there was the word economy would be contingent upon us being able to affect the shop prices of items. However, I will use the word economy because the closest thing we have to one is the rare item trade. Items which have no shop value, it's all street value, those are the items that technically create their own economy. The main reason everyone should be AGAINST clams is because of the stupid amount of credits that just flood the game because of them, and then because of that, ITEMS.

"Oh, but Disney, mini-games will flood the game with credits also." True, but not at the same rate as shells and it is heavily dependent upon player SKILL- EFFORT, to work toward the same amount as you're obtaining from shells.

I look at it this way. In the future I would possibly trade a rare for MULTIPLE "regular" shop items that equal a certain amount of credits. Now that this has happened, where virtually anyone can with such ridiculous ease, make tens of thousands of credits in only a matter of few hours, I will look at every single shop item as if value of it has depreciated. Why? Because everyone and their dog made a boat load off clams in a time-frame that doesn't fit what "normal" wealth gain should reflect. So in reality, i'll look at any item from this point on with much less value. That's just me personally, but most people won't because they probably don't believe that there's now HUNDREDS more of shop items in-game than there was merely 24+ hours ago.

At the very least there should have been a limit on the amount of shells you can obtain in 24 hours.

But hey, it's all just my opinion, BRO.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I just want to post a quick idea I've mentioned in the game today that some players were receptive to and thought would be a good addition to the Shell Mini Game:

The players that like to spend hours on end farming for shells in the Adventureland Bazaar and the Captain's Quest Quarters might not be too receptive to this idea, or they might, I don't know. But I thought it would be a nice addition to the game if there was something like a reset for those rooms perhaps every hour to 2 hrs or so, that way it gives a good chunk of time rather than every 30 minutes.
But basically the reset would entail booting every player in those rooms, so that the clams that glitch can be fixed, and there can be a rotation of players. New people get a chance to go in too and collect some credits.
I only name those two rooms because they're the two that generate the most shells, and give the most chances of claiming credits. They're also the rooms that are full for most of the time.
It's just a suggestion :). I thought that way we could spread the wealth, and people wouldn't have reason to complain that they aren't getting a fair chance at the shells.
Let me know what you guys think!