Barack Obama

Andrew

This is a thread to debate about Barack Obama, who is the current President of the United States.

I personally think Obama is not doing that bad. Sure, he's made some mistakes like the issues with Obamacare when it was first released. He's also done some good things like have Osama bin Laden assassinated, something President Bush could not do in all his years as president.

I recently read an article from CNN about how (and why) Obama is losing the Millennials, which I thought was really interesting: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/24/opinion/zelizer-youth-obama/

When replying please try not to just fully bash the president. Also, if you're going to say he sucks as president at least back up your statement with some logical reasons.

He fights for equality of all people. That's why he's the best!
That's right. Everyone's data is saved by the NSA, whether or not there are warrants against them!

I can't support a politician who campaigned on repealing the PATRIOT Act, and then not only turned around and signed a renewal of said act, but actually pursued even worse privacy-destroying measures.

Last edited:

WHO

That's right. Everyone's data is saved by the NSA, whether or not there are warrants against them!

I can't support a politician who campaigned on repealing the PATRIOT Act, and then not only turned around and signed a renewal of said act, but actually pursued even worse privacy-destroying measures.
I don't even care I have nothing to hide!!

Exactly. You have nothing to hide, so the government shouldn't be searching you.

The Fourth Amendment was put in place for a reason: to protect innocent Americans from a potentially tyrannical government.

If it's that pressing, get a warrant. Not that difficult.

WHO

Exactly. You have nothing to hide, so the government shouldn't be searching you.

The Fourth Amendment was put in place for a reason: to protect innocent Americans from a potentially tyrannical government.

but some people do have stuff to hide. lol.

also the constitution is outdated tbh

Miranda Rights said:
Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law.
Simply put, a catch-all spying program against American citizens is giving the government leverage over its people that it simply should not have. It's incredibly dangerous, and something needs to be done about it before it gets even worse than it is.

Parts of the Constitution may be outdated, but the concepts of basic human rights in it are absolutely up-to-date. People have a right to privacy.

WHO

Miranda Rights said:
Simply put, a catch-all spying program against American citizens is giving the government leverage over its people that it simply should not have. It's incredibly dangerous, and something needs to be done about it before it gets even worse than it is.

Parts of the Constitution may be outdated, but the concepts of basic human rights in it are absolutely up-to-date. People have a right to privacy.
okay I really dont care tbh!

He's basically a black George Bush. On the plus side, he has some semblance of an actual ideology, so I guess he's better in some sense, but really his policy is just better marketed Bush politics + health care.
This is a vast over simplification of things, and internationally so. To properly get into the details or provide a legitimate explanation I'd have to go point by point, and I doubt anyone really will read it or care for the billionth small government guy thought on the NSA, Patriot Act, Gun Control, Health Care, Regulation, Minimum Wage, bailouts, etc. Just asking why you don't like a president is kind of silly. Few reasonable people actually hate the man, but many will find his policies flawed.

Last edited:

Andrew

Miranda Rights said:

okay I really dont care tbh!
If you don't care then why did you reply??

Fiyero

I doubt anyone really will read it or care for the billionth small government guy thought on the NSA, Patriot Act, Gun Control, Health Care, Regulation, Minimum Wage, bailouts, etc.
Many days I long for the smaller government/executive system before the days of FDR, even though I know that would be impossible to have now.

I doubt anyone really will read it or care for the billionth small government guy thought on the NSA, Patriot Act, Gun Control, Health Care, Regulation, Minimum Wage, bailouts, etc.
Many days I long for the smaller government/executive system before the days of FDR, even though I know that would be impossible to have now.
Man, we've been going down hill since the very start of the 20th century.

Fiyero

Man, we've been going down hill since the very start of the 20th century.
Agreed. But personally, I think the New Deal was the worse thing to ever happen to small government. It set a huge precedence for executive (and just federal government) power that will never be able to be undone.

Andrew

If you don't care then why did you reply??
because i gave my opinion on obama and how i think he's doing! :)
I was referring to your last reply. All you said was you don't care about what someone else wrote.
Because I really don't care to debate about what he said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then just don't reply. If you aren't going to debate and just say you don't care about what someone else says there's no point to replying.

Personally, I don't think he's doing as bad as Bush did, nor as well as Clinton did.
He's sorta being more personal with people, legalizing gay marriage for example,
but lacking in the money side of the issues. He ended the war, and that's a big
point for him in many peoples books.

Personally, I don't think he's doing as bad as Bush did, nor as well as Clinton did.
He's sorta being more personal with people, legalizing gay marriage for example,
but lacking in the money side of the issues. He ended the war, and that's a big
point for him in many peoples books.
I can say his foreign policy is a bit of an improvement. We have a shrinking military budget and he did mostly end the wars.

Nitpick though: I don't think Clinton was that great. His success was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. We could have had a can of beans as the President and the economy would have boomed regardless. (Thank you, Internet.) I've seen arguments that he set the housing collapse into motion. Admittedly, Bush exacerbated the oncoming disaster and ignored some warning signs, but the financial sector was deregulated during the Clinton administration.