I got two people to play this with an outside perspective..

So I got two people that I know IRL to play this game recently.
One person is a sibling of mine that is a male, the other is a friend of mine that is a female.
I didn't tell them really ANYTHING about the community. I mainly told them that it's primarily a social game, and it's supposed to be a virtual take on the Disney theme parks. I told them it was fun, and just really funny to mess around on blah blah blah.

I asked them today about it, and they both had very similar experiences.

Both of them said that they felt that a lot of people were 'snobby'.
Both them said that the game was quiet, and that people mainly just stood around afk majority of the time. This made it kind of boring for them, and kind of turned them off. I think the main appeal for us, is that we played the previous game. And that's kind of about it. It's nostalgia for us, but from an outsiders perspective the game(or the community I should say) is discouraging for newcomers.

They both felt the game would have more potential if the community was more lively.

I just found that interesting is all.

AlsCabals

i see exactly where those two people are coming from.
i tried to get my boyfriend to play it, made him an account and everything and he thought it was really boring.
he didn't think the games were very fun or anything, which kind of bummed me out because it could be fun to play it with him haha.

hopefully when pirates comes out, he'll think its a little bit different... but i still doubt he will give it a chance.

Blackstock

don't you fret, my dear
From someone who never played the original game, yeah, it can be a bit boring a lot of the time. I honestly come back just because of the friends I've made and because I have no life otherwise.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
My hubby is the same way. He will get on the odd time to play and will do building contests. He is not a social guy. He hates small talk. Only plays because it makes me happy :) His laptop is not very good so the games frustrate him. So he will use my desk top to play but does not like to stay long because I stare at him while playing haha

However, he has not been happy lately with how he sees some people being bullied in this community. Which has turned him off even further. Some of the nasty comments he has read has turned him off this game even more. So I basically get him stuff. The only thing I can not trade for is his inferno. He said it is the only good thing he has. I said well if you played more you would have nicer stuff. His comment was. Well who works all day so you can play all day. So I will continue to play his character off and on in hopes that one day he will get enthusiastic again.

This is not the vmk we remember. There is nothing Amy can do about this. It is the attitude of the players that has change. There was trading in vmk but it was not so high profile since the game had thousands and thousands of players. With in park quests even the poor had a chance at good stuff because they could trade with a player who could not get to the park. The prices did not seem so outrageous because there were so many ways to earn credits. The balance was much easier had. The teenagers of the old vmk are different than the teenagers of this vmk. There was less personal drama. Maybe because it was really hard to make outside friends unless you were on a Disney forum board that had a sub board for VMK. There was competitiveness in vmk but not as intense as it is here. I think because it is such a small community.

Being such a small community all its flaws and goodness seem to be magnified. Again staff can really influence the feel of the game. Some of the hosts really go beyond the call of duty and really get to know the players. This is really important to creating a nice atmosphere in the game.

Also some see this as a real game and play it as such. Others just play to remember the good old days and meet up with old friends.

I do think once all games are back, and quests the game has a really good chance to expand a lot more. Especially for younger players.

Blackstock

don't you fret, my dear
However, he has not been happy lately with how he sees some people being bullied in this community. Which has turned him off even further. Some of the nasty comments he has read has turned him off this game even more. So I basically get him stuff. The only thing I can not trade for is his inferno. He said it is the only good thing he has. I said well if you played more you would have nicer stuff. His comment was. Well who works all day so you can play all day. So I will continue to play his character off and on in hopes that one day he will get enthusiastic again.

This is not the vmk we remember. There is nothing Amy can do about this. It is the attitude of the players that has change. There was trading in vmk but it was not so high profile since the game had thousands and thousands of players. With in park quests even the poor had a chance at good stuff because they could trade with a player who could not get to the park. The prices did not seem so outrageous because there were so many ways to earn credits. The balance was much easier had. The teenagers of the old vmk are different than the teenagers of this vmk. There was less personal drama. Maybe because it was really hard to make outside friends unless you were on a Disney forum board that had a sub board for VMK. There was competitiveness in vmk but not as intense as it is here. I think because it is such a small community.
I cannot agree more with this, Littlebelle. The bullying and drama in this community is infectious in its constant negativity. It drove me away from MyVMK once; I refuse to allow the more hateful members of this community to push me away again. I have a lot of people on my side. But...it still gnaws at me, some of the things I've received. I hate that bullying is more rampant in this game because it is easier to get outside contact information. The attitude of a lot of players appalls me. I can only hope that I keep on thinking the positive side of this community will keep bringing me back. Otherwise, I will not be staying, for my own personal safety.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
No true. If we can get younger players in yes it can be. When VMK was being played half of the people playing were 25 and above. You never really knew this because of the chat restrictions. Those adults never had an issue with the chats rules they had fun playing the game. Though to be honest those who did got a permanent ban. As I said the teenagers of today and the young adults grew up playing video games. Not so when vmk first opened up. So the mentality of gaming is so much different today. I think that really plays a big difference. :)

Megara

no sleep club
No true. If we can get younger players in yes it can be. When VMK was being played half of the people playing were 25 and above. You never really knew this because of the chat restrictions. Those adults never had an issue with the chats rules they had fun playing the game. Though to be honest those who did got a permanent ban. As I said the teenagers of today and the young adults grew up playing video games. Not so when vmk first opened up. So the mentality of gaming is so much different today. I think that really plays a big difference. :)
Exactly. There were many adults playing the original VMK, but none complained about the chat because those were the rules, and being adults, I could see them wanting to keep it friendly for everyone, especially the younger children (many played with their own kids). But now, since the majority of players are older now, I've seen the excuse "we're older, so we should be able to say anything we like since we're all mature" being thrown around a lot. If the older players on the original VMK could do it, I don't see why we need to make exceptions for this time around. It's just respectful, especially if we want to attract more players to the game. Even though the game isn't run by Disney, it's still a Disney game, and I wouldn't be surprised if little kids came across it wanting to play. I can see why the game could be a turn off for people who've never played before.

AlsCabals

I know I already posted, but I wanted to say a few more things...
there are some players who are playing vmk now that aren't even old enough to join the forums.
and it stinks because you can totally tell who the young and old players are of this vmk.
although it would be nice to have all sorts of generations playing, the super younger crowd (like below high school) can be annoying >.<

I know of course when I started playing the original VMK, I was super young and probably annoying myself! haha.

I think the main problem with MyVmk not being like the original game is that we are all much older and it's very easy to tell the age of someone...

most of the immature people in this game are in high school (in my opinion) and college players can be somewhat, as well. and then most of the adults playing are here to get back in touch with old friends, for the nostalgia of the game, and of course to have fun playing.

and as littlebelle stated above, times are a lot different now and social media has changed the way we use the internet.

Exuberance

the super younger crowd (like below high school) can be annoying. most of the immature people in this game are in high school (in my opinion) and college players can be somewhat, as well.
I know somebody who is 11, and he is definitely more mature than the college aged players. "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS."

I think we should just put filter back like it was in the original.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
The community has been like this since the beginning. If it hasn't changed since then I have my doubts it ever will. When I hear of things of bullying and such it comes as news to me but does not shock me. I choose to ignore the bullying because if you give it attention you're just letting them win as they are just trying to gain attention for their actions.

The people being snobby part has always been there, even in the original VMK. It was just not as rampant in that game as this one as there is such a smaller community here with the people who found the game early on having most of the rares. It's another thing that will never go away because someone will always think someone with a lot of rare is acting snobby. This will happen, either, 1) because the person is actually being snobbish or 2) because the person without the rare is jealous and thinks a person wearing all of their rare is flaunting off and being snobby in that manner.

And again the people standing around afk... Another thing that was done a lot in the original but is seen much more here because we are a much smaller community...

My overall point here is that these issues will never disappear and it's unlikely this community will change in a heartbeat or even possibly a year. The only thing people can do whether new or old is make the experience what you want to experience. I'm completely open to talking people if I'm out and about and talking with friends or just standing around somewhere. It just depends whether I see what someone says. I have been trying to include others in conversations if they are asking questions or just looking for someone to talk to because they make the effort to have a conversation.

ZachTWB

Disneyland obsessed
I've had my two step brothers both comment on how VMK looks boring mostly due to the fact that it seems so empty. The reason I get on everyday (or at least try to.) is because that game was my childhood. I had no life when I was younger so some pretty great memories were made on this game. Although I have no doubt that once all the mini games are up and running again this game will slowly but surely return to it's former glory it once was back in 2005-2008

I love that there's no filter and players should just be responsible for what they do or say. No group is specifically to blame. People are who they are regardless of age. It would be irrational to just assume someone is a certain way because of one instance or how they or their peers appear to be online. People come from different places, are raised with different morals and values, and react differently. Adults should already know this, and usually aren't the problem. People I've encountered are pretty nice on here or at least keep to themselves which is fine. Some teens or young adults are more sensitive than others, some are not and are able to take the heat and move on. That's why I try to keep an open mind about other people and be honest and straightforward in the kindest way possible. I'm a nice person, but I'm not soft. I don't base my judgement on someone on simply one instance or what they may seem to be at face value.

Anyway, personally I'm going to chill and just enjoy this game while I can, but I understand what you all mean. And back to the topic specifically, I do understand that the younger generation may find it a turn off encountering a few rude players whether they outright make an unwarranted comment or ignore you in spite, but overall the community is not too bad as it is claimed to be. I even noticed this on my clone, many people were willing to help in different rooms! Just lighten up and maybe others will, too. If not, try again because at least you tried and you can move on.

ZachTWB

Disneyland obsessed
I see where a filter could be useful....
I want it but I don't want it, ya know?
I think the chat is completely abused in MyVMK, so that's the problem.
If anything we should just filter the swear words. Because in the old VMK they had everything filtered. You couldn't say the simplest things like "love" or just simple numbers. I completely understand why they filtered a lot of things but it's 2014. A lot of people on MyVMK are adults and should know not to say some things.