All clothing available for both genders?

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I think this is all so sad. If you want to dress like a girl make a girl character. If you want to dress like a boy make a boy character. I believe we are allowed 2 characters or we should. I do think the transgender talk is not unifying. Now many of the youth today have no issues with this. This is a children's game. So I do think the 2 should stay separate. I see no problem with guys wearing girl hats or shoes. That is about as far as a go. I know of no public school that allows guys to wear girls clothing unless they want to dress like a girl all the time. So that is how I decide what works for me. If this was an adult game the lines are different.

Please try and keep the spirit of the game and not change it too much. Remember many players are not even on this forum. Yes there will be small children playing beta. The only thing that makes it beta is to get the kinks out.

The avatars are childlike not adult like. So please keep it this way. Thank you.

Okay, I didn't want to talk about society's gender roles nonsense, I wanted to keep my previous posts mostly about Disney, but seeing all these people talking about how inappropriate etc cross-dressing in this game is, I couldn't keep this post strictly Disney and had to rant a bit. I apologize, I know it's long. You don't have to read it, I don't care, I just needed to rant.

Honestly, I just don't understand how people can watch Up, Mulan, and The Incredibles with their kids/as kids, and see blood (when Carl hits the construction worker on the head with his cane, when Mulan is attacked by Shan-Yu before causing the avalanche and later is shown to be bleeding, and when Mr Incredible is fighting the first Omnidroid he fought his arm is cut) or when in The Incredibles the guy attempts suicide, and when Bomb-Voyage attempts to murder a child with a bomb, or parents take their kids to Disneyland and go on the Haunted Mansion which is filled with dead people (some of which are murderous) or watch Disney movies with an abundance of cross-dressing characters and inappropriate jokes, watch Disney movies where the villains die horrible, gruesome deaths, watch Hunchback of Notre Dame and Who Framed Roger Rabbit which are really not very kid-friendly Disney movies in general, or allow their kids to play violent Disney games like PotCO and ToonTown (which are only recently closed), and finally play VMK where you can sit on and teleport through coffins and have a room with a grave dug in it and hear gunshots in the background, and ALL of this is perfectly fine, no one bats an eye or sees any problem, but the moment a male character in an ex-Disney game wants to wear a skirt, that's just taking it way too far.

Violence and death are normal in our culture, no one sees any problem with them and our children are raised on them. Apparently kids are perfectly capable of understanding those, but we mustn't dare teach our delicate seedlings that a boy can wear a skirt, how terribly inappropriate! Even though it's much more difficult to explain to a child that it's okay for girls to wear dresses and makeup and have long hair and like pink, but not get dirty or be rough or play "manly" sports like football and wrestling (unless it's sexualized, of course, then it's a-okay) And then just the opposite for boys, to wear a dress or skirt is the worst thing you could ever do, don't you dare play with mommie's make-up, no you can't like pink that's a girl's color, you're not allowed to have long hair that's inappropriate! Go play rough with the other boys out in the mud, what, you got hurt? Well don't cry about it you sissy! It's happy family fun to watch wholesome Disney movies together and see Clayton from Tarzan be strangled by a vine and listen to his neck snap and see body dangle above the ground, but good heavens, get that nail polish off your fingers right now, Little Joey!

Maybe it would be easier to teach ALL kids that's it's fine to wear a dress if you want, but if you'd rather wear pants, go ahead. Is pink Little Brandon's favorite color? Great! Let's paint his whole room pink! Little Lily wants to sign up for the kid's football team? Of course she can! How about we stop trying to enforce these ridiculous gender roles, and realize that there are so many things in our society that are far more damaging to kids than whether or not a boy is wearing a skirt. No wonder violence and crime rates in the U.S. are so high, we glorify violence and raise our children on it, but people are more worried about if someone is cross-dressing or not to realize it. People say that it isn't normal for a man to wear women's clothes, but guess what else isn't natural? Clothes! Make-up, football, jewelry, none of this is natural. None of this is right or wrong for one sex but not the other. None of this has any effect on us apart from how we appear. If a guy wants to be pretty and sparkly, why not? If a woman wants to be muscly and not shave and play rough sports in the mud, let her!

No, VMK isn't the place to be learning how messed up our society is, but that doesn't mean we have to perpetuate harmful gender roles, we should just let people wear what they want. None of the clothes in VMK are revealing or inappropriate anyways, so who cares? It worked in OVMK, I don't know what some people are talking about how other people were abusing it, people enjoyed it and had fun. It added more customization and was no worse than the violence Disney has portrayed in it's other games. This shouldn't even be a discussion, we had it in OVMK, people loved it, it was taken away briefly and people were upset so it was brought back. People will be upset again if it isn't an option in MMK, but if you personally don't like it, then just don't participate in it!

I'm sorry this was so lengthy and had little to do with the game, but it's so frustrating when people aren't realizing that Disney isn't as pure and squeaky clean as they think it is and feel this game needs to maintain that false image, and how they feel that nonsense societal gender roles need to be enforced in this game too.

Littlebelle said:
The avatars are childlike not adult like. So please keep it this way. Thank you.
The avatars can have beards and breasts, neither of which are characteristics of children. Also their hairstyles, faces, and clothing in general are based more off adult styles. The avatars are probably based more off people in their late teens rather than children.

eevee said:
Okay, I didn't want to talk about society's gender roles nonsense, I wanted to keep my previous posts mostly about Disney, but seeing all these people talking about how inappropriate etc cross-dressing in this game is, I couldn't keep this post strictly Disney and had to rant a bit. I apologize, I know it's long. You don't have to read it, I don't care, I just needed to rant.

Honestly, I just don't understand how people can watch Up, Mulan, and The Incredibles with their kids/as kids, and see blood (when Carl hits the construction worker on the head with his cane, when Mulan is attacked by Shan-Yu before causing the avalanche and later is shown to be bleeding, and when Mr Incredible is fighting the first Omnidroid he fought his arm is cut) or when in The Incredibles the guy attempts suicide, and when Bomb-Voyage attempts to murder a child with a bomb, or parents take their kids to Disneyland and go on the Haunted Mansion which is filled with dead people (some of which are murderous) or watch Disney movies with an abundance of cross-dressing characters and inappropriate jokes, watch Disney movies where the villains die horrible, gruesome deaths, watch Hunchback of Notre Dame and Who Framed Roger Rabbit which are really not very kid-friendly Disney movies in general, or allow their kids to play violent Disney games like PotCO and ToonTown (which are only recently closed), and finally play VMK where you can sit on and teleport through coffins and have a room with a grave dug in it and hear gunshots in the background, and ALL of this is perfectly fine, no one bats an eye or sees any problem, but the moment a male character in an ex-Disney game wants to wear a skirt, that's just taking it way too far.

Violence and death are normal in our culture, no one sees any problem with them and our children are raised on them. Apparently kids are perfectly capable of understanding those, but we mustn't dare teach our delicate seedlings that a boy can wear a skirt, how terribly inappropriate! Even though it's much more difficult to explain to a child that it's okay for girls to wear dresses and makeup and have long hair and like pink, but not get dirty or be rough or play "manly" sports like football and wrestling (unless it's sexualized, of course, then it's a-okay) And then just the opposite for boys, to wear a dress or skirt is the worst thing you could ever do, don't you dare play with mommie's make-up, no you can't like pink that's a girl's color, you're not allowed to have long hair that's inappropriate! Go play rough with the other boys out in the mud, what, you got hurt? Well don't cry about it you sissy! It's happy family fun to watch wholesome Disney movies together and see Clayton from Tarzan be strangled by a vine and listen to his neck snap and see body dangle above the ground, but good heavens, get that nail polish off your fingers right now, Little Joey!

Maybe it would be easier to teach ALL kids that's it's fine to wear a dress if you want, but if you'd rather wear pants, go ahead. Is pink Little Brandon's favorite color? Great! Let's paint his whole room pink! Little Lily wants to sign up for the kid's football team? Of course she can! How about we stop trying to enforce these ridiculous gender roles, and realize that there are so many things in our society that are far more damaging to kids than whether or not a boy is wearing a skirt. No wonder violence and crime rates in the U.S. are so high, we glorify violence and raise our children on it, but people are more worried about if someone is cross-dressing or not to realize it. People say that it isn't normal for a man to wear women's clothes, but guess what else isn't natural? Clothes! Make-up, football, jewelry, none of this is natural. None of this is right or wrong for one sex but not the other. None of this has any effect on us apart from how we appear. If a guy wants to be pretty and sparkly, why not? If a woman wants to be muscly and not shave and play rough sports in the mud, let her!

No, VMK isn't the place to be learning how messed up our society is, but that doesn't mean we have to perpetuate harmful gender roles, we should just let people wear what they want. None of the clothes in VMK are revealing or inappropriate anyways, so who cares? It worked in OVMK, I don't know what some people are talking about how other people were abusing it, people enjoyed it and had fun. It added more customization and was no worse than the violence Disney has portrayed in it's other games. This shouldn't even be a discussion, we had it in OVMK, people loved it, it was taken away briefly and people were upset so it was brought back. People will be upset again if it isn't an option in MMK, but if you personally don't like it, then just don't participate in it!

I'm sorry this was so lengthy and had little to do with the game, but it's so frustrating when people aren't realizing that Disney isn't as pure and squeaky clean as they think it is and feel this game needs to maintain that false image, and how they feel that nonsense societal gender roles need to be enforced in this game too.

Littlebelle said:
The avatars can have beards and breasts, neither of which are characteristics of children. Also their hairstyles, faces, and clothing in general are based more off adult styles. The avatars are probably based more off people in their late teens rather than children.
Oh my gosh yes.
Clothes are just that CLOTHES

Jovey said:
I'd say let hats and shoes be co-ed but since most gendered shirt designs are drawn with that avatar's anatomy in mind, keep regular clothing restricted; it kind of ruins the immersion of the experience otherwise.
i agree, most hats and shoes should be available for guys and girls.
but the whole 'feminine' t-shirt should not be allowed lol.
it's a bit disturbing.
AND GIRLS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE MUSTACHES.
just saying. (:

Geggy

This would all be solved if Amy were kind enough to make the game opensource. -cough-

I appreciate the desire, and ability, of both sides to express their opinions on any and all matters as well!

For me, I loved VMK - faults and all - and want this version to be as similar to the original game as possible. I understand that it won't be an exact replica, and I understand that some things will necessarily be different. However, the fact remains that all opinions/desires will never be satisfied.

In my opinion, if an idea for change is so polarizing, as this one is, then it should be left how it was in the original game. :geek:

I think this is all so sad. If you want to dress like a girl make a girl character. If you want to dress like a boy make a boy character. I believe we are allowed 2 characters or we should. I do think the transgender talk is not unifying. Now many of the youth today have no issues with this. This is a children's game. So I do think the 2 should stay separate. I see no problem with guys wearing girl hats or shoes. That is about as far as a go. I know of no public school that allows guys to wear girls clothing unless they want to dress like a girl all the time. So that is how I decide what works for me. If this was an adult game the lines are different.

Please try and keep the spirit of the game and not change it too much. Remember many players are not even on this forum. Yes there will be small children playing beta. The only thing that makes it beta is to get the kinks out.

I tend to agree with this. Let's keep this the fun original game that was created and a place that is not a part of the real world instead of trying to force liberalism into not. What people choose to do in their real life is their real life; let's leave myVMK a place of "Fantasyland" and keep in mind small kids will play. Not all families agree with all lifestyles and a fun game like MyVMK should not be what prompts those questions at the dinner table.

I think this is all so sad.
"Stop belittling people."

hahah

Can you say 'biased opinion' ?

People can wear what they want. Fashion changes, and by that I mean a year from now men wearing booty shorts could be the new skinny jeans. It's all based on personal taste.

Not all families agree with all lifestyles and a fun game like MyVMK should not be what prompts those questions at the dinner table.
If why men shouldn't wear booty shorts becomes a family dinner-table discussion... just... lol

This so much. I disagree with the idea. This is supposed to be a recreation of the original VMK. Though changes are nice, the idea just seems bizarre

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely, I agree. Good point, the avatars are children and it would be so flipping weird to see a little boy in a dress or something.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
"Stop belittling people."

hahah

Can you say 'biased opinion' ?

People can wear what they want. Fashion changes, and by that I mean a year from now men wearing booty shorts could be the new skinny jeans. It's all based on personal taste.

If why men shouldn't wear booty shorts becomes a family dinner-table discussion... just... lol
You know you are right. I was not really saying this towards a person. I meant the whole talk is sad. For I saw it as divisive to the forum. Because not eveyone is opened minded to this as others. Not sad to a person. I am sorry that it may have come across that way. Though I wish you would have not crossed posted from another thread!!!! I am not sure why you felt you had to. But unlike you I am prepared to say I can see how how people might take offense to how I put it and and I am sorry. Your attitude has really upset me. Please do not cross post threads without context. thanks meaning you took something I said in another entirely different thread and posted it on this thread.

You know you are right. I was not really saying this towards a person. I meant the whole talk is sad. For I saw it as divisive to the forum. Because not eveyone is opened minded to this as others. Not sad to a person. I am sorry that it may have come across that way. Though I wish you would have not crossed posted from another thread!!!! I am not sure why you felt you had to. But unlike you I am prepared to say I can see how how people might take offense to how I put it and and I am sorry. Your attitude has really upset me. Please do not cross post threads without context. thanks
I won't lie, I am severely confused.

I'm just gonna say to the people saying that little kids shouldn't be exposed to this, the youngest I've seen is 14 so far. That's high school age. In High School you get exposed to more stuff (drugs alcohol peer pressure) than anywhere else. Cross dressing is not wrong. Neither is being transsexual. So I don't see why this is even an issue.

Also, unless a 'kid', someone younger than high school age, is specifically is looking for this game I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it will be found, and taken over by kids. This game is being made for the people who want to remember it. Not for little kids specifically. It is a REMAKE of an old disney game. It is no longer disney. No one would be abusing anything because it is perfectly normal to dress how ever you want, where ever, when ever. Clothes are a form of expression, don't take that away.

I'm just gonna say to the people saying that little kids shouldn't be exposed to this, the youngest I've seen is 14 so far. That's high school age. In High School you get exposed to more stuff (drugs alcohol peer pressure) than anywhere else. Cross dressing is not wrong. Neither is being transsexual. So I don't see why this is even an issue.

Also, unless a 'kid', someone younger than high school age, is specifically is looking for this game I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it will be found, and taken over by kids. This game is being made for the people who want to remember it. Not for little kids specifically. It is a REMAKE of an old disney game. It is no longer disney. No one would be abusing anything because it is perfectly normal to dress how ever you want, where ever, when ever. Clothes are a form of expression, don't take that away.
To correct you just a bit, it's a recreation, not a remake. A remake implies entirely new processes. It's a kid game that in it's prime mostly young children played. We're all older now, but I don't wanna limit the kids who DO want to play. We should just vote on it in the end....to make things fair! :D

Peaches

i have no gender & i must scream
I feel that quoting people might be taken as a form of attack, so instead I will just address all the points in general form.

Like I have stated before, it would be very easy to limit shirts that depict breasts to female avatars, and beards to male avatars. I find this to be an ample compromise. There will be no clashes of gender that way. Beards will not be compatible with breasts. It is a simple solution where genders are still separated as some of you want, and every other piece of clothing will be unrestricted for use by either avatar.

There are many great quotes, that I will paraphrase, such as one concerning gay marriage. "How will we explain that to our kids?" "If you cannot explain love to your children, it is not the problem of the government."

The way I see it, if you cannot explain that clothing is simply a way to cover your body to your children, it is not the concerns of anyone playing this game or the creators. I am really confused as to why people are so huffed up about pieces of material being arranged in a certain pattern on a body. A skirt is no different than shorts, except that it has not been fashioned in the same way. They are both clothing to cover the body and do not define a person.

Little boys and girls should not be judged for their choice in clothing, nor their choice in toys, nor their choice in a color. Gender is NOT black and white, it is a spectrum. Have you never met a little tomboy girl? Why can't little boys be like that? I have certainly never met a boy comfortable enough to express themselves as such. Is it because it's wrong? No. It is because there is no acceptance for him. Males are never properly allowed to explore themselves, while girls are welcome to dabble in sports, get dirty, eat a lot of food, all things associated with masculinity. But I just do not see any support for boys to go shopping, play dressup, take care of baby dolls, have tea parties.

I know that is not directly related, but if you truly sit down and ponder it, you will find that girls are encouraged to engage in sports and more, while boys are shunned for even asking to buy girly toys or do girly things or wear girly clothes.

Anatomical body parts that are related to the sex of the person, yes, I can agree to limit those to the gender they apply to. But to prohibit boys to wear skirts? It is wrong and unfair, unless girls are not allowed to wear pants or shorts or any shirt that is associated with boys. You find that ridiculous right? I hope so, because that is exactly how I think people on the other side feel too.

I do not think it will be "abused," for whatever definition of that is being used. If people are doing inappropriate adult things, it is irrelevant the clothes they are wearing, it is not to be in the game. It is not related to the clothing. If it is to be abused by people to bully others, then the bullying will be taken care of, as just that, bullying.

People are making problems for this feature. Beyond a few slight confusions of the addition, there is no reason to be upset about it. It is clothing. More importantly it is virtual, a game. This is not reality. No one is forcing you to play this. No one is forcing you to buy the clothes. No one is forcing you to change your lifestyle. It should NOT be this upsetting.

Gamecrazy

Sorry but I'm against this idea. I don't mean to offend anyone but seeing trans-gender clothing on both genders kinda made me feel a little weird inside, it's just not how the game is meant to be.

post-edit:

okay. the main thing argument here seems to, once again, be the child factor. the answer to this problem is that parents should learn to keep their children off the fracking internet if they're so worried about them seeing such MINIMALLY ideologically-sensitive things like this. let alone they can just search up crossdressing or VMK-sized breasts -- virtual or even human! godforbid! -- OR ANYTHING even if they're NOT looking for it. the internet is NOT A FAMILY-FRIENDLY PLACE. PERIOD. even IN SPITE of certain sites that you may consider safe. for instance VMK ages past. i've seen -- and once, participated -- in a few illicit activities on THE VERY GAME WE'RE DISCUSSING. it's PROBABLY going to happen REGARDLESS of how many restraints you want to put on it. i mean, that's stretching the subject a bit, but the fact still stands. social progress/excess and life itself is going to continue to thrive in ANY environment, no matter what ideologies your parents might've imposed on you growing up.

moreover, just a quick runthrough of opinions here seems to be leaning towards allowing all clothing to be unisex. even in a DEMOCRATIC manner those of you arguing against it are LOSING.

p.p.: i'm very sorry that you can practically hear me seething through my keyboard right now but this sort of thing REALLY grinds my gears.

Lost

This, basically.

I believe that when you inject any sort of medium with your ideologies or political/religious/cultural views, you're doing a misdeed to those who also enjoy that medium. I feel that something such as this game should be a zone where people aren't judged and filled with your beliefs, however, you should also look at the content of the game itself. If it was your own intellectual property, you can do with it whatever you please. However, with the inclusion of Disney related themes and characters, you're further fraying a rope that has divided so many people.

I'll be honest- when I was 3, I had a Barbie doll. My mom painted my nails and toenails. Despite this, I loved Hot Wheels, I was insanely addicted to Pokemon when Red and Blue came out, and I followed it until Ruby and Sapphire. I'm a totally straight guy. There's nothing 'gay' or 'transgendered' about me, even though I did these things. Do I feel disdain for those who do these things? Of course not. That would make me a hypocrite, because I participated in the very same activities that these people are doing now. Which I see no problem with, and have nothing for love for those who are bold enough to come out and say "Hey, your two set values aren't me! I'm different than from what you're telling me I should be!"

However, it's not as black and white as we'd like to think. Some hate it when religious people feel the need to dictate others lives. But if you look at it from their perspective, you're oppressing their religious beliefs. I believe it's one big cluster of issues that really boils down to what you believe. I believe that anyone can be whatever they wish to be, or what they truly feel they are, but on the other hand, there are people who believe that everything is a set thing. One or the other, nothing in between.

You cannot change other peoples beliefs, and that's fine. I don't feel that it's fair for one belief or view to have a prominent hold in a medium that was originally marketed towards children.

Regardless of the decision, I will support it either way.