Beware of the internet......

Exodus

For all of you saying how could you not video chat and stuff.. it seemed to me like she KNEW who he was.. the fact that she lied about her age and stuff was kinda sketchy.
The article was just updated less than an hour ago to include those details. If they were planning a "honeymoon-style trip across the country" and were actually travelling together for a little bit, then yeah, she was aware of how who he was and instilled trust in him. I guess she didn't realize how sour it would end up >.> He was obviously emotionally taking advantage of her.

The article was just updated less than an hour ago to include those details. If they were planning a "honeymoon-style trip across the country" and were actually travelling together for a little bit, then yeah, she was aware of how who he was and instilled trust in him. I guess she didn't realize how sour it would end up >.> He was obviously emotionally taking advantage of her.
Ohh ok I didn't realize it was edited.

But in all honesty, I guess it doesn't matter. It's sick either way.

Jasmine

For all of you saying how could you not video chat and stuff.. it seemed to me like she KNEW who he was.. the fact that she lied about her age and stuff was kinda sketchy.
Yeah, I got the same impression. The article basically says she stayed with him willingly. And agreed... it's just plain sick. I don't know what they were thinking.

Yeah, I got the same impression. The article basically says she stayed with him willingly. And agreed... it's just plain sick. I don't know what they were thinking.
And therein lies another problem. Younger teens are so impressionable, she probably wasn't thinking, especially if they'd been talking for two years like I think the article says. He was pretty much thinking for her in the situation, and she went with it.

Jasmine

And therein lies another problem. Younger teens are so impressionable, she probably wasn't thinking, especially if they'd been talking for two years like I think the article says. He was pretty much thinking for her in the situation, and she went with it.
I agree about younger teens being impressionable, but most kids are warned about this stuff from a very young age. I think she knew exactly what she was doing, so I'm not really sure if she was manipulated by him or not... The whole article just gives off vibes that she's less of a victim and more of a perpetrator in my opinion. (Like how she ran away to be with him... it's just odd.) But who knows? I don't think the girl will talk about it much (the article mentioned something about her denying certain "relations") and if so, I assume she'll end up blaming him, even if he isn't fully to blame. Don't get me wrong though - he's an adult, she's not, so he's definitely at fault here. I just don't think this girl is as innocent as she may be thought to be.

aliceblue

He gained her trust over a long period, by spending time with her in a children's game. What he did was deliberate and criminal.

The fact that she agreed to his plans only confirms how much influence he had over her. It doesn't change the fact that she was an underage victim of an adult predator.

Jasmine

He gained her trust over a long period, by spending time with her in a children's game. What he did was deliberate and criminal.

The fact that she agreed to his plans only confirms how much influence he had over her. It doesn't change the fact that she was an underage victim of an adult predator.
See, that's what I'm not sure about. Thinking from a psychological perspective (and thinking about child development and how an average 14 year old's brain works), I just really don't think she was manipulated in anyway. People assume that kids are super impressionable and will just agree to anything like that, but that's not true at all. I was her age 5 years ago and I never would've done anything like this. The whole thing seems really fishy to me.

You could be right; she could really have just been that impressionable (why she would've been, I have no idea... I've known kids that age that wouldn't have been that impressionable). I just feel like the article is written in a way that shows she really wasn't a victim. Just my opinion though. Regardless, I agree; what he did was criminal and he's at fault. I'm just not sure about the girl's innocence, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see as the story unfolds. :shrug:

See, that's what I'm not sure about. Thinking from a psychological perspective (and thinking about child development and how an average 14 year old's brain works), I just really don't think she was manipulated in anyway. People assume that kids are super impressionable and will just agree to anything like that, but that's not true at all. I was her age 5 years ago and I never would've done anything like this. The whole thing seems really fishy to me.

You could be right; she could really have just been that impressionable (why she would've been, I have no idea... I've known kids that age that wouldn't have been that impressionable). I just feel like the article is written in a way that shows she really wasn't a victim. Just my opinion though. Regardless, I agree; what he did was criminal and he's at fault. I'm just not sure about the girl's innocence, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see as the story unfolds. :shrug:
That's a great point, and the only thing I can think of to put up against what you said is that, assuming they met when she was 12, that could be a part of the impresiion he had on her.

Exodus

I agree. I believe she was aware of what she was getting into. Who lies about their age behind a computer screen if they didn't have the intention of pleasing the other person in specific? Especially on a children's game... it's not as if this was Facebook. This girl was surrounded by many people her age yet she chose to get close to him.

Regardless, as an adult, he shouldn't have taken advantage of her and shouldn't have been seeking romantic relationships on a heavily children based game to begin with.

Jasmine

That's a great point, and the only thing I can think of to put up against what you said is that, assuming they met when she was 12, that could be a part of the impresiion he had on her.
Good point. I thought about that as well, but then also thought about the average 12 year old... Sure, they're children so they can be immature, but I'm still not convinced that the average 12 year old would be involved in something like this.

Maybe she met him when she was 12 and thought he was her age? But eventually she found the truth out (that he was much older) is my point. You have to admit that the average 12-14 year old would've stopped communicating with the person at that point, because they'd likely be creeped out. I've known kids that had situations like this and they were certainly creeped out.

The article mentioned her laptop had some inappropriate pictures and a love poem, so I assume she probably thought she fell in love with him and that's why she continued the relationship. If that's the case, it's more of her immaturity (and this guy being a pedophile) than her being manipulated into something, though.

I agree. I believe she was aware of what she was getting into. Who lies about their age behind a computer screen if they didn't have the intention of pleasing the other person in specific? Especially on a children's game... it's not as if this was Facebook. This girl was surrounded by many people her age yet she chose to get close to him.

Regardless, as an adult, he shouldn't have taken advantage of her and shouldn't have been seeking romantic relationships on a heavily children based game to begin with.
Oh most definitely. This guy is a pedophile and needs to be behind bars, even if she chose to be with him willingly.

i could be totally wrong but maybe she liked the attention he was obviously giving her?
one thing ive learned from the news is usually you dont know 100% of the whole story lol
she probably has self esteem issues from being overweight or even a bad relationship with her dad? where she would like any male attention at all and feel loved/accepted. this could be wrong, im just guessing why she would talk to a 50 year old man for 2 years lol

ZachTWB

Disneyland obsessed
The abduction must have been a long time ago because Pixie Hollow has been closed for almost a year now. (Only reason I know that is POTCO and ToonTown closed along with it.)

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev

But seriously.. Never meet anyone you know from online unless it's in a super public place with a group with you, like disney, or have seen them in skype or whatnot.

I have yet to encounter any catfish creepers on this site yet, but i have found plenty of them on Habbo.

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
ridiculous.
recently two 13 year old girls that around my area were kidnapped by a dude they
were talking to on omegle cause they met up with him. everyone was looking for them for days.
like why?? are teens really being this dumb? like, we all should know by now what happens
when you talk and meet up with strangers...

Okay dudes, and duette I'm bagging everyone of you guys :P