Down with the Shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasmine

I completely agree. I think the real problem... and what really causes most of the game's drama is the forum itself, though. The fact that they're trying to run both is the real issue.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
No. It shouldn't be closed down just because some staff members fail to ban/silence some of the people who are being insulted. The REAL thing that should be stopped are the people who are clearly unable to be kind and respectful in shoutbox. Just like you don't ban everybody on the forums just because some people break the rules, you don't do the same for shoutbox.

No. It shouldn't be closed down just because some staff members fail to ban/silence some of the people who are being insulted. The REAL thing that should be stopped are the people who are clearly unable to be kind and respectful in shoutbox. Just like you don't ban everybody on the forums just because some people break the rules, you don't do the same for shoutbox.
Completely agree. The staff, themselves, are not dealing properly with people who break the rules. If you don't in force the rules, no one is gonna obey them. The staff need to step up and take control of the community & in force the laws or else this game is gonna get even more out of control than it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I completely agree. I think the real problem... and what really causes most of the game's drama is the forum itself, though. The fact that they're trying to run both is the real issue.
I agree with this partially. I don't believe the shoutbox should be closed, but I've stated before on another forum that administrative hand shouldn't extend beyond the confines of the game itself.

This belief goes for the forums, the facebook groups, twitter, and any other social networks where your actions seem to impact your in game experience with the staff. I really don't think the staff should have any administrative pull over the forums. It's a place to voice your opinion, and the staff having rule over that in game is natural, on the forums it's too much.

I agree with this. I feel the real problem isn't the shoutbox, it's the lack of discipline being utilized when necessary. I've seen the same people repeatedly be disrespectful and out of hand on the shoutbox and forums, yet they never seem to stop. If they do get banned, somehow they get out of it or they return as quickly as they were gone.

If the staff are going to have a hand in the way the forums are run, then things need to be changed with how these kind of situations are dealt with. I know things get way out of hand in the shoutbox, like with the example Myth posted above regarding Kevin, and going that far is completely unnecessary.

There's a line, and when that line is crossed the appropriate action should be taken, be it a warning, a ban, what have you. I just wouldn't be quick to punish the entire community by taking the shoutbox away, because the few lack the ability to keep certain things to themselves.

Ranch

I'd like to see it go due to it being one of the main sources that we get info and hints about the game from officials. A lot of times, players would report anything mentioned in the chat box to things like FB groups, and often, it was skewed info.

I could care less about the drama or anything else typed up in there.. it's not my thing.

I'd like to see it go due to it being one of the main sources that we get info and hints about the game from officials. A lot of times, players would report anything mentioned in the chat box to things like FB groups, and often, it was skewed info.

I could care less about the drama or anything else typed up in there.. it's not my thing.
I completely agree. I couldn't care less about the drama but, unfortunately, I've been targeted by other players who get away with bullying/harassing other players so I must sympathize with anyone else who was bullied.
The fact is: The shout out box gives great opportunity for players to harass/cyber-bully/talk bad about staff and other players BECAUSE staff does NOT properly deal with players who do such a thing.
And it also gives great opportunity for miss-interpreted info to come across; being yours and one of my reasons for closing the shout out box.

Honestly, along with the shout out, I think staff should put the original vmk filter on everyone. At least for a week, maybe a month. Give people a chance to realize that the freedom allowed by the staff should NOT be taken for granted.

Myth

I completely agree. I couldn't care less about the drama but, unfortunately, I've been targeted by other players who get away with bullying/harassing other players so I must sympathize with anyone else who was bullied.
The fact is: The shout out box gives great opportunity for players to harass/cyber-bully/talk bad about staff and other players BECAUSE staff does NOT properly deal with players who do such a thing.
And it also gives great opportunity for miss-interpreted info to come across; being yours and one of my reasons for closing the shout out box.

Honestly, along with the shout out, I think staff should put the original vmk filter on everyone. At least for a week, maybe a month. Give people a chance to realize that the freedom allowed by the staff should NOT be taken for granted.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree.

kalyee

If you think bullying and inappropriate behavior didn't happen on VMK with the filter, you're mistaken. The filter will change nothing, except maybe a few older players leaving because it's unnecessarily restrictive. The bullying both in-game and in the shout box has nothing to do with what we can and can't say, but everything to do with individuals choosing to act out and receiving no consequences.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
If you think bullying and inappropriate behavior didn't happen on VMK with the filter, you're mistaken. The filter will change nothing, except maybe a few older players leaving because it's unnecessarily restrictive. The bullying both in-game and in the shout box has nothing to do with what we can and can't say, but everything to do with individuals choosing to act out and receiving no consequences.

There were older players in VMK as well, they didn't stop playing because the filter restricted their speech a little. I don't see why that would be a contributing factor at all.

I agree with Kash, applying the filter would be beneficial in my opinion.

But I also agree that the lack of consequence for the actions of these players abusing the rules, has everything to do with the problem.

kalyee

There were older players in VMK as well, they didn't stop playing because the filter restricted their speech a little. I don't see why that would be a contributing factor at all.

I agree with Kash, applying the filter would be beneficial in my opinion.

But I also agree that the lack of consequence for the actions of these players abusing the rules, has everything to do with the problem.
The filter did nothing in VMK, why now - with older players who are more apt to get around it - would it be any different?
What needs to happen is clear, staff need to crack down/players need to police their own behavior and adjust accordingly. A filter will cause more issues, as people already scoffed at the idea many times, and we'll lose a great deal of the community - not all unpleasant players - if not see more disrespect come from trying to trick the filter.

Whispered

You don't put out a fire by aiming at the top of the flames - you aim the extinguisher at the base.

That's the problem - this solves the shoutbox, but not the underlying problems. Warn/ban problem users who start rumors/are rude to others.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
You know what was great about OVMK for like a week? Chat mods. But really, chat mods would help, and if you aren't going to get any then why have the shoutbox?

Cyber Toon

They already give the old filter to players that abuse their rights. So that's that. ^_^

The shoutbox is the main source of live information that isn't in-game. It is a vital way to know stuff such as when the game comes back online, and a great place to talk, too. If you don't like the Shoutbox, you don't have to use it, you know. No one is forcing you, and they couldn't, either. This would never happen, by the way, anyways. ^_^

Myth

They already give the old filter to players that abuse their rights. So that's that. ^_^

The shoutbox is the main source of live information that isn't in-game. It is a vital way to know stuff such as when the game comes back online, and a great place to talk, too. If you don't like the Shoutbox, you don't have to use it, you know. No one is forcing you, and they couldn't, either. This would never happen, by the way, anyways. ^_^
It happened before, when the drama got out of hand.
I honestly dont see a problem with taking it out altogether.
It has more negatives than positives

Status
Not open for further replies.