Down with the Shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use the shoutbox so I don't have a particularly strong opinion, but I agree with warning/banning problem users. And adding the filter will do less about stopping the hate (as people will find a way around it just as they did in the original) and more to just annoy those of us who don't use our words in a harsh way and who appreciate the lack of restriction in myvmk.

I was never a fan of the "punish the whole class because one student is being disruptive" strategy and I feel the same here. Why punish everyone over the actions of a few? Take care of the people causing the problem and figure it out from there.

No. It shouldn't be closed down just because some staff members fail to ban/silence some of the people who are being insulted. The REAL thing that should be stopped are the people who are clearly unable to be kind and respectful in shoutbox. Just like you don't ban everybody on the forums just because some people break the rules, you don't do the same for shoutbox.
Agreed

Pretty much if people just act more mature in the shoutbox there would be no problem. Most of you guys are 15+ you should be able to know how to say something without being rude.I personally don't use it so I can't side, but don't say something in a shoutbox you wouldn't say in real life.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Why do people think that the shoutbox is the problem... It isn't... As many people have said it's due to problem users that have been causing issues and as they don't seem to be punished for their actions as it appears they enjoy causing drama.

If you don't like being around drama you simply can do these things. 1. Ignore the people causing the drama if you want to use the shoutbox. 2. Ignore the shoutbox if you have no immediate use for it. No one is forcing anyone to take part in any discussions that take place int he shoutbox.

And honestly as a whole I think staff are doing the best they can but blame can't solely lie on them as it's how the community interacts as well that plays significant role in these things. If you don't like something said by someone and you know they have a history of arguing then don't bother arguing with them. If you see someone getting flamed in the shoutbox for something let the flames die down and don't get involved in where the argument is happening. There's simply some people that can be hard to reason with or they just enjoy arguing....

To be perfectly honest, the shoutbox is the only reason I semi-regularly check the forums. I can quickly and easily ask questions about things I've missed, and get out if I so wish to. I hate spending too much time doing something as boring as reading page upon page of news.
Also, I like the fact that the shoutbox has allowed me to connect with some of the fellow users and form friendships with them. I like the fact that you can converse with others instantly instead of waiting for a post response. Also, the shoutbox allows for communication that isn't allowed via posts/threads. You can't just make a thread where you go 'hey' 'hey' 'sup' 'not much you'. That would be stupid and pointless.
I don't understand why everyone is making such a fuss. It's a message box on an online forum. Oh. Soooo scary. Such a big deal.

Goodness gracious. People need to grow up. Okay, if there's drama going on in the shoutbox, don't whine about it. Do something about it. Screencap it if you or someone you know is being targeted, and send it to a staff member. Especially if one is not on at the current time.

Agreeing with those who have commented before me, it's not solely the staff's fault (however they do hold some blame, to be honest). It's also those who like causing trouble. Gawd guys. Didn't we all learn that special little rule in grade school? If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. There's a difference between having good fun and being a total jerk. If you're joking and someone thinks you're not, let them know. If you're genuinely being a ************, knock it off. We're here to have fun in a kind, respectful environment. Take your nonsense somewhere else.

I have seen some members attempt to start drama quite a lot in the last week. It's that behavior that's causing this ********. Just stop, okay? You're not funny and you're not cool. Just chill dude. I get that you think it's fun and all. I think we all had that moment where we liked trolling, but dude. Seriously, stop. You may be amused but others are not. Have respect for your fellow users.

Also, like I said, the staff are to blame as well. I get that with the game and such they're doing the best they can, but seriously, it's like the staff are never on when things happen. I think maybe they should pick up a couple more staff members for the forum because one logging on maybe six hours after the last staff member logged off isn't acceptable if people can't be trusted to not cause trouble without mommy and daddy holding their hands. If people acted their age we wouldn't need staff 24/7 but it is looking like that's what we're in need of, because, obviously, some people haven't reached maturity.

I think if you just had one moderator at a time online that would be absolutely fine. Maybe these people would stop whining. It's frustrating that it's come to this, to be perfectly honest. I don't understand why people can't just leave each other alone, but whatever.
The staff just needs to buckle down. Don't bring down the ban hammer and bring on the great purge, just try and stop this ******** before it blows out of proportion.

lol sorry if this rambles on and on I'm running on like 4 hours of sleep k bye

what is this shoutbox you speak of? I'm new to the forums, and have no idea what you are talking about!
Hi, welcome to the forums btw! :D They're talking about the shoutbox (chat box) at the top of the "Forum" page. (Click the Forum button)

Also.. I never use the shoutbox...this wouldn't make much of a difference to me... Although I can see how many people find it useful

no thanks. it's not our issue that the weak people can't handle a bit of criticism. i've never seen actually bullying going on... i think people have their definition butched. the moderators also put an end to it in most cases and i think that's good enough. if you have a problem with the shoutbox, nobody said you have to use it. i think people are acting like babies lately; we've grown up and now we have to face reality... people voice their opinions, they have issues with each other. it's natural, especially in this day and age where half of the population is negative in one way or another and their is so much hate spewed everywhere. i've been considered a "bully" recently and it's sickening. most of us who have been dubbed bullies are either standing up to people who are rude to us or saying our opinion.

no thanks. it's not our issue that the weak people can't handle a bit of criticism. i've never seen actually bullying going on... i think people have their definition butched. the moderators also put an end to it in most cases and i think that's good enough. if you have a problem with the shoutbox, nobody said you have to use it. i think people are acting like babies lately; we've grown up and now we have to face reality... people voice their opinions, they have issues with each other. it's natural, especially in this day and age where half of the population is negative in one way or another and their is so much hate spewed everywhere. i've been considered a "bully" recently and it's sickening. most of us who have been dubbed bullies are either standing up to people who are rude to us or saying our opinion.
I get that and all, but you can stand up to people and voice your opinion without being rude. I personally have not seen you in the shoutbox as I'm on at odd intervals, so if you're dubbed a bully, I don't know the parameters of it. But I mostly agree with you.

What I've noticed is that people will purposely try to start some bs by saying ******** like "Ergergerger SOME PEOPLE are just SO rude *hinthint* herpderpderp" or "Hmm... I've started this problem with a certain group of users who don't want anything to do with me and I feel the need to start a fight so let me try, *cough cough* I've not seen 'this person' lately..." This isn't bullying, however, this is them opening a door for something to further progress. Believe me, I've seen some people get bullied in the shoutbox and it is freaking ridiculous. The plus side to the people that were the victims, they avoided/ignored it. *Claps*

There's a difference between voicing an opinion and starting something.

And as for being considered a bully to people who have been rude to you, if you're being rude right back (which I wouldn't know because I couldn't care less tbh) ever heard the saying "Two wrongs don't make a right" or, and I'm an atheist, but this is a good one right here: treat others the way you want to be treated???
If you don't like how someone treats you, change it. "Kill them with kindness." I know it sounds ridiculous, but to be perfectly honest, nothing grinds their gears more than someone who doesn't let what they say get to you.

Alyce

Younger than Dirt..Older than Disneyland
If you don't like how someone treats you, change it. "Kill them with kindness." I know it sounds ridiculous, but to be perfectly honest, nothing grinds their gears more than someone who doesn't let what they say get to you.
Tis true. Well maybe not "kill" them as such :).

If you think of it as a game (however sad it may be on the bully's part), if you do not let them get to you.....you won!

The bonus to winning this way is you feel good because you are the better person. Your smile will remain and theirs will not.

I realize it is easier said than done....but try it a few times....it will become easier each time you do. :hug:

Elle

"and everyone was so happy about that"

Please don't say everyone was happy about it, because obviously that isn't true. Jeez.
Anyway, I rarely use the shoutbox, but I like it. When I have a question that needs answering ASAP, instead of creating a thread for it I just ask it in the shoutbox and someone kind always answers it.

Honestly, along with the shout out, I think staff should put the original vmk filter on everyone. At least for a week, maybe a month. Give people a chance to realize that the freedom allowed by the staff should NOT be taken for granted.
Tapatalk
So basically, punish everyone else for things others have said to you, or to others? That hardly seems fair. I know kids play this game, but many are over 16+ already. If you get bullied, or don't like what someone is saying, let them know. I've let people know before and half of the time they stop. If they don't, I let them know again before I report them and just leave the room. Or, I ignore them. But to put the filter on absolutely EVERYONE because a few people don't want to follow the rules..really? This isn't some classroom where if one does something the rest get punished for it.

So basically, punish everyone else for things others have said to you, or to others? That hardly seems fair. I know kids play this game, but many are over 16+ already. If you get bullied, or don't like what someone is saying, let them know. I've let people know before and half of the time they stop. If they don't, I let them know again before I report them and just leave the room. Or, I ignore them. But to put the filter on absolutely EVERYONE because a few people don't want to follow the rules..really? This isn't some classroom where if one does something the rest get punished for it.

I couldn't agree more with you. If someone is harassing you on Skype, you block them. It'd not intelligent to let them keep on berating you and bullying you and doing nothing about it. You can't expect the whole community to fight your battles for you. That's the mods job. It's your job to report it. If mods don't listen, then take screenshots, send them to Amy or Grizzly.

sabby

People really get harassed by others on here? Lol Iv'e never heard anything bad said about me LOL I guess not knowing is bliss :]
Never use the shoutbox much anyway. It would be better if people could just be nice though :C
In addition people being bothered can just avoid those kinds of situations.
If someone is mean ignore them! who cares what they say about you.

Thank you all for voicing your concerns. I will close this thread for the time being.

For the moment the shoutbox is staying as it is. If you see anything inappropriate there, please report it to the moderators. We are always here to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.