Forum Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule Update 03/04/14

Backseat moderating occurs when a user who is not a moderator attempts to reprimand another user. Backseat moderators publicly point out that a user is breaking a rule or quote the MyVMK Rules in a post to warn other users. Instead of backseat moderating, please use the Report Post button located at the bottom of every post. Members are not allowed to "act" as moderators (backseat moderate).

Whispered

Rule Update 03/04/14

Backseat moderating occurs when a user who is not a moderator attempts to reprimand another user. Backseat moderators publicly point out that a user is breaking a rule or quote the MyVMK Rules in a post to warn other users. Instead of backseat moderating, please use the Report Post button located at the bottom of every post. Members are not allowed to "act" as moderators (backseat moderate).
I'm sorry but the second sentence is completely against the spirit of any "backseat moderating" rule.

If someone points out a rule, they are doing a favor. People may not know the rules. They may not know the exact wording of the rules. I'm sure they'd be grateful that the rule is being pointed out to them so they can follow it (the majority of well-meant people).

The rule needs clarification so that it states something along the lines of "attempting to act as higher than another user is not allowed. This includes quoting rules in an attempt to reprimand someone - however an exception is (and is limited to explicitly) someone pointing out a rule in a good-faith attempt to remind a fellow (good-faith) user of a rule they may have forgotten, one time, in a strictly quoting manner."

Jasmine

I'm sorry but the second sentence is completely against the spirit of any "backseat moderating" rule.

If someone points out a rule, they are doing a favor. People may not know the rules. They may not know the exact wording of the rules. I'm sure they'd be grateful that the rule is being pointed out to them so they can follow it (the majority of well-meant people).

The rule needs clarification so that it states something along the lines of "attempting to act as higher than another user is not allowed. This includes quoting rules in an attempt to reprimand someone - however an exception is (and is limited to explicitly) someone pointing out a rule in a good-faith attempt to remind a fellow (good-faith) user of a rule they may have forgotten, one time, in a strictly quoting manner."
If you simply want to help someone learn the rules so that they don't get in trouble, why can't you contact them privately? Doing it publicly could embarrass a new member. Plus, it's often seen as being rude.

I think the new rule is fine.

Whispered

If you simply want to help someone learn the rules so that they don't get in trouble, why can't you contact them privately? Doing it publicly could embarrass a new member. Plus, it's often seen as being rude.

I think the new rule is fine.
I would never feel embarrassed having an obscure rule (like some on this forum) pointed out to me, nor is it rude to do so. Contacting them privately often is not read in a timely manner, and thus the point is lost.

Publicly quoting the rules is not backseat moderating, period.

Jasmine

I would never feel embarrassed having an obscure rule (like some on this forum) pointed out to me, nor is it rude to do so. Contacting them privately often is not read in a timely manner, and thus the point is lost.

You may not see it that way, but I've found that just about everyone else does. I don't see why time is an issue though? Isn't the point to make sure they know not to break the rule again? In that case, why does it matter how long it takes for them to learn this?

Honestly, reporting is better anyway. If time's an issue to you, then reporting is the best solution. A moderator will see the report thread (assuming that's how they've set them up) or email and hopefully they'll let the member know what they did wrong.

You may not see it as backseat moderating, but a lot of people do. I'll agree that some people actually quote the rules to help people, but most don't. The person's intentions don't really matter anyway, though. Like I said, it's often perceived as being rude. Why does a member need to remind another member about the rules? It's none of our business; we report and then go on. We do the same thing in game, so why not do it on the forum too? I'd compare backseat moderating to having a sibling that you're close to in age try to discipline you. No one ever likes it.

Whispered

You may not see it that way, but I've found that just about everyone else does. I don't see why time is an issue though? Isn't the point to make sure they know not to break the rule again? In that case, why does it matter how long it takes for them to learn this?

Honestly, reporting is better anyway. If time's an issue to you, then reporting is the best solution. A moderator will see the report thread (assuming that's how they've set them up) or email and hopefully they'll let the member know what they did wrong.

You may not see it as backseat moderating, but a lot of people do. I'll agree that some people actually quote the rules to help people, but most don't. The person's intentions don't really matter anyway, though. Like I said, it's often perceived as being rude. Why does a member need to remind another member about the rules? It's none of our business; we report and then go on. We do the same thing in game, so why not do it on the forum too? I'd compare backseat moderating to having a sibling that you're close to in age try to discipline you. No one ever likes it.
You do not deport everyone to solve the problem of a few.

You do not outlaw all rule-quoting to solve the problem of a little bit of bad.

Jasmine

I totally agree, but who says only a few people consider backseat moderating an annoyance? Just because only a couple members replied to the thread about this suggestion doesn't mean it wasn't on their minds. I've seen others complain about it happening... they just won't say it on here, lol. Most of us come from other VMK forums that have had a backseat moderating rule, anyway. We're used to it. I guess that's why a lot of people are annoyed by it.

Whispered

I totally agree, but who says only a few people consider backseat moderating an annoyance? Just because only a couple members replied to the thread about this suggestion doesn't mean it wasn't on their minds. I've seen others complain about it happening... they just won't say it on here, lol. Most of us come from other VMK forums that have had a backseat moderating rule, anyway. We're used to it. I guess that's why a lot of people are annoyed by it.
I was referring to people who quote rules in a rude/moderatey way.

Jasmine

That's the sad part of the internet... Most people come off with that type of tone, even if they're not trying to. :(
I can't think of anyway how they could prevent someone from accidentally giving off that tone.

Whispered

That's the sad part of the internet... Most people come off with that type of tone, even if they're not trying to. :(
I can't think of anyway how they could prevent someone from accidentally giving off that tone.
"come off with" is not the person's fault, it's the reciever's fault. Don't punish the victim (another analogy).

Jasmine

"come off with" is not the person's fault, it's the reciever's fault. Don't punish the victim (another analogy).
Not really. Everyone offends people at one point or another; sometimes it's unintentional, but just because it's unintentional doesn't mean you're not offending someone.

I still think the rule is okay, though it's a bit vague. It sounds like technically speaking, you could link someone to the rules in an effort to get them to see that they're breaking one. That's just a technicality, though. ;)

WHO

Rule Update 03/04/14

When you sign up to the forums, you agree to abide by the given rules. If you don't read them, that's your own fault.

Rule Update 03/04/14

Actually that's exactly what a backseat moderator does.

Whispered

Rule Update 03/04/14

quoting a rule is not acting as a moderator, nor trying to act as one. quoting a rule is just that - quoting a rule. moderating include things like reprimanding, warning, excessive "stop breaking the rules". but a one time, friendly, good faith reminder of a rule is not backseat moderating.

this really looks like an attempt by the staff to just forbid any and all public discussion about them, the rules, etc. by disallowing any mention of the rules at all. -slow clap- because that's worked so well in history (both real life and online).

quoting a rule is not acting as a moderator, nor trying to act as one. quoting a rule is just that - quoting a rule. moderating include things like reprimanding, warning, excessive "stop breaking the rules". but a one time, friendly, good faith reminder of a rule is not backseat moderating.

this really looks like an attempt by the staff to just forbid any and all public discussion about them, the rules, etc. by disallowing any mention of the rules at all. -slow clap- because that's worked so well in history (both real life and online).

I completely agree.
Trying to help others do the right thing should not be considered bad.
If you're being a completely rude mess about it, that's different.
Everyone needs a reminder of the rules sometimes.

Quoting the rules to try to put down what a person is trying to say just appears rude and makes you sound obnoxious. Like, you can't tell someone they're breaking the rules, when you have no position of power to do so, without looking like a smart aleck.

And actually it was a suggestion i made that a fair amount of people agreed on so like you can stop with the assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.