language!!

hey guys since vmk was like kinda long ago, i think i can assume we are all of age to be using regular words.. like how we couldnt say pink? and age? can we just refrain from swears and thats it.. i liked having the freedom of actually talking about college and stuff :0

much love homies .... caroline

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Yes I was much confused about why we couldn't say certain words. Ages I understood for our safety.
I would like to see most of the system to be the same though as we do not know what age groups will find the game. Yes a lot of us are older but some of us would like to keep the VMK atmosphere from the original. This also needs to be around so that parents of any of the younger age groups find this game know that it is a safe place for their kids to play.
I think this might be a good thing to see what Amy, Kevin, Grizzly and others might have in mind.

I think basically the only stuff that should be blocked is curse words/inappropriate stuff, such as names of genitalias, etc, etc you get the point. Other than that, I at least hope we can say "dwell" haha! :p I remember I was trying to make a signature and I couldn't even put dwell in it >:( >:(

caroline said:
hey guys since vmk was like kinda long ago, i think i can assume we are all of age to be using regular words.. like how we couldnt say pink? and age? can we just refrain from swears and thats it.. i liked having the freedom of actually talking about college and stuff :0

I would love this too caroline, however you must remember just because we have grown up with VMK and may be older now, there will be new players who are younger (as we were when VMK was live) and we must respect that age difference and maturity gap. This is why language barriers and whatnot are in place.

Halcyon said:
caroline said:

I would love this too caroline, however you must remember just because we have grown up with VMK and may be older now, there will be new players who are younger (as we were when VMK was live) and we must respect that age difference and maturity gap. This is why language barriers and whatnot are in place.
This is exactly how I feel. I know a lot of people are pushing for a black list instead of a white list and I'd be okay with this as long as we have excellent mods to enforce the vmk values they set in place.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I think that there should just be a block for swears/slurs. More freedom on words that aren't offensive.

They said that there will be a blacklist for specific words. It won't be a dictionary like VMK.
I'm not sure where the post is, but either Kevin or Amy posted this.

Halcyon said:
I would like to add....
I really hope we can say each others game names while in game! It's rather annoying when we couldn't haha :)

Hah for the longest time I couldn't figure out why we couldn't say certain words..
Now that I'm 18, I fully understand why we can't say some of them @_@

aceastrofan said:
I think that there should just be a block for swears/slurs. More freedom on words that aren't offensive.
yeah i guess since they wanna appeal to kids, lets get real though how many kids haven't heard or seen a swear word

Yeah... I agree. Not being able to say "time" gets pretty annoying.

I'd like to be able to say whatever I please. With the limitation of swear words, I can just work around those with a multitude of substitutes only I can understand. lelele inside jokes with myself.

This is a game geared for children between the ages of 8-14. It does not matter that a child may have been exposed to curse words before. Just because a child has experienced something most parents consider negative, does not mean they want their children being exposed to that same thing again and again. It is one thing to hear a word once, it is entirely another thing to be constantly bombarded with foul language. Also, because the game is geared for the children between 8-14, there is an express understanding, whether spoken, written or just implied that admin of the game will make every possible effort to provide protections for the children they are catering to. That is a huge responsibility and trust between admin and the parents of the children who will be playing the game. That means filters.

Man i dislike the conservative types.

Especially since this game is geared towards pre teens i hardly think using the "d" word or the "s" word will corrupt a child more than he or she is, get real. Now cybering is a whole different story LOL.

however i'm not advocating for them to not put a filter because this is "disney based" and the fan base is so overwhelmingly sheltered it isn't funny.
All i'm saying is i'd like the game only filter out swear words since we're in "desperate need" to keep it PG.

Chicknoodle said:
Man i dislike the conservative types.
Thanks. Getting a bit personal and judge-y? My job is not to always be liked but to protect and provide a safe environment for my children. You are welcome to expose your children to whatever words you deem appropriate for them. And eight years old is hardly a pre-teen.

Why go to a site and try to turn it into something it never was intended to be? That would be like me going to let's say NeoPets or some adult site and expecting them to be appropriate for little kids.

Sending you some :cake: as a peace offering to help you maybe to be more open-minded to those with viewpoints that don't align with your own. It can be frustrating for conservative types too.

Okay, sorry if i came off rudely. I shall keep more of my opinions to myself, but i really don't agree with you at all. Small steps though, i am fine with just covering up cuss words, but that's it.

Chicknoodle said:
i had to edit that like 5 times since im ********* (am i allowed to say that?)
(I don't know so I censored the quote)

Ah, then probably not the best of times to articulate one's point of view.