Long Distance Relationship

I have a cross-country relationship with [MENTION=668]BlackDawn[/MENTION]. We are both on opposite sides of the country - I'm on the east coast holla. But we FaceTime everyday and spend over an hour together usually. I feel like I spend more time in this relationship than I would have with someone else. The time zone difference really works out for me being in college. Thursday will be our 6 month anniversary & going strong :)

Kimi Lamperouge

Kimiana Jones, Captain!
Sometimes when I go home its almost like an LDR, mostly because of the fact it is sort of an unspoken rule that I can't talk about my boyfriend in front of people. Its a long story, but they are uncomfortable around him after a specific incident, and they are allowing me to still date him, though they're slowly coming around (thank goodness)

But it may soon be an LDR if circumstances arise. I'm trying to be strong for that, but its really hard. I'm just a really dependent person and he's always been someone I looked up to and trusted, its hard to find that connection in other people and if he has to leave, I'll be happy but at the same time really depressed.

Ah well....you're very strong for being in a LDR for that long. Kudos to you!

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
Sometimes when I go home its almost like an LDR, mostly because of the fact it is sort of an unspoken rule that I can't talk about my boyfriend in front of people. Its a long story, but they are uncomfortable around him after a specific incident, and they are allowing me to still date him, though they're slowly coming around (thank goodness)

But it may soon be an LDR if circumstances arise. I'm trying to be strong for that, but its really hard. I'm just a really dependent person and he's always been someone I looked up to and trusted, its hard to find that connection in other people and if he has to leave, I'll be happy but at the same time really depressed.

Ah well....you're very strong for being in a LDR for that long. Kudos to you!
i can't talk about my girlfriend in front of people either, because people don't know we are together. two people in real life do, but they really aren't my friends anymore. lots of my online friends know, too. but neither of us have told our family or close friends yet.

Kimi Lamperouge

Kimiana Jones, Captain!
i can't talk about my girlfriend in front of people either, because people don't know we are together. two people in real life do, but they really aren't my friends anymore. lots of my online friends know, too. but neither of us have told our family or close friends yet.
Your circumstance is a whole lot different than mine. My family and friends actually got to meet my boyfriend and approved of him immensely, but things took a dark turn however I continue to date him in secret until they found out; they hated him and even me for a few months. But they haven't seem him personally for like eight months, however they seem to be slowly accustoming to the fact I ain't leaving him anytime soon.

Is there a reason you haven't told your families yet?

I was in a LDR before there was Skype, cell phones, or even really widespread home internet use...

The year was 1994. My best friend in college and I began dating during Spring quarter at Ohio State. When Summer began, he moved back to our hometown to work at Kings Island and I stayed at school to finish my Education degree to graduate. It was ironic that we spent several years as friends and we were both from Cincinnati, but only months after officially dating, we would be apart.

Summer ended and I graduated, moving home to begin teaching at Drake Planetarium. The week before my graduation, my sweetheart moved into his off campus apartment for his final year of college. Again, a twist of fate would keep us apart. The distance was difficult and became more heart breaking the closer we became. We called daily and tried to visit on weekends when we could. Our schedules and Winter weather made driving to see each other difficult, but we tried to see each other as often as possible.

So, what happened in my LDR? Well, in November of 1994, he proposed. I married my LDR, KingQuackATac, in July 1995 and we will be married for 19 years this Summer and have 2 children. We all play MyVMK together!

The point of my story? Long distance relationships can work out. Starting any relationship as friends, getting to know one another is a great way to have success.

Princess:)

This is so sweet reading these posts!

I had one crush back in high school from someone who was 17 hours away from where I'm at. We talked a lot, had a lot in common, and flirted a little. But one day , on a website called formspring where you can ask questions in his or her question box. I said anonymously "Are you in to distance relationships?" He replied "No, those kind of relationships are not my thing..."
I kept it a secret until now. We both moved on, I've been with my current boyfriend for 2 years where I live, and he has his girlfriend where he lives.

We still are great friends and talk now and then, but I still don't know if he knew that question was from me or not...

I have these videos to share that relate to this thread and is super sweet to watch. :,)
[youtube]y_oIaWEKrx4[/youtube]
[youtube]tsvRuuy31Co[/youtube]

----------

I was in a LDR before there was Skype, cell phones, or even really widespread home internet use...

The year was 1994. My best friend in college and I began dating during Spring quarter at Ohio State. When Summer began, he moved back to our hometown to work at Kings Island and I stayed at school to finish my Education degree to graduate. It was ironic that we spent several years as friends and we were both from Cincinnati, but only months after officially dating, we would be apart.

Summer ended and I graduated, moving home to begin teaching at Drake Planetarium. The week before my graduation, my sweetheart moved into his off campus apartment for his final year of college. Again, a twist of fate would keep us apart. The distance was difficult and became more heart breaking the closer we became. We called daily and tried to visit on weekends when we could. Our schedules and Winter weather made driving to see each other difficult, but we tried to see each other as often as possible.

So, what happened in my LDR? Well, in November of 1994, he proposed. I married my LDR, KingQuackATac, in July 1995 and we will be married for 19 years this Summer and have 2 children. We all play MyVMK together!

The point of my story? Long distance relationships can work out. Starting any relationship as friends, getting to know one another is a great way to have success.

Princess:)
This was one of the most beautiful relationship stories I've ever read.

I've been in one the about a year ago
He and his best friend who wad a girl btw had gotten some athletic opportunity and had to move to Liverpool. We skyped every single day but after about 8 months or so we barely talked. One day I decided to hit him up and wellllll long story short, he confessed that he and his best friend had inevitably fallen for each other over the course they've spent in Liverpool. Im not gonna go into more details bu that literally broke my heart in half.

Now, I know your situation is very different than mine was but I guess it just depends on the people and what the situation is. If you trust each other that's all that matters. :)

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
Your circumstance is a whole lot different than mine. My family and friends actually got to meet my boyfriend and approved of him immensely, but things took a dark turn however I continue to date him in secret until they found out; they hated him and even me for a few months. But they haven't seem him personally for like eight months, however they seem to be slowly accustoming to the fact I ain't leaving him anytime soon.

Is there a reason you haven't told your families yet?
yeah, we haven't come out yet to people we know in real life
besides two of my friends IRL and lots of my internet friends, nobody knows about us :c which can be really hard when we say we NEED to meet and people are like nah you just WANT to.

not sure when the right moment will be for either of us, but when it happens it happens! it's different for each person and i want the time to be right when we tell our families and friends.

LooseSeal

I've never been in a LDR myself, but I knew several people who tried to make it work when they went to college. Everyone I know who was in a LDR upon starting school is no longer in it except for one of my friends who has an open relationship. I think LDRs can work, but they need an extraordinary amount of commitment. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to make a long-term LDR work out myself. Then again, I'm #foreveralone.

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
yes, it does need LOTS of commitment. i thought i would be meeting my gf this month, but turns out we can't... i've been crying all night tbh ;-; i'm really sad, i miss her more than anything

I was in a LDR for 4 years straight :) It was pretty amazing although I would get lonely at times, but it could also be very exciting and you get to appreciate being with the person a lot more. We broke up last year only because our lives had changed and he was a completely different person than he was when we first met. We are still good friends though! I wouldn't regret anything because I can't image having gone through everything I have in those 4 years without him. I'm just glad we can still be on good terms at least and we still talk every now and then to this day.

But never give up hope, LDR's really can work if you don't give up on them<3

[MENTION=2858]Best_Blonde[/MENTION] and I are in a LDR for 8 months this month. I have known here for 2years already and i can honestly say without a doubt that to me she is perfect and i wouldnt give her up for anything. The distance may be a pain sometimes but i know when i do see her again it will be that much sweater. I can not express how much she means to me and even if I could she wouldnt believe me when i said it. Shes my sunshine and she means the world to me. :P
That much sweater? LOL ♥

RyanJ

Story time yall, haha alright so I used to play this game called meez (it's still online) and at one point I was a catfish for I wanna say a good year or two because I wasn't confident or comfortable with how I looked at the time. When I started going by my real identity and what not I met a girl on there and well let's call her Bella. Bella and I would hangout all the time in game and then one day her and I tinychatted with another friend and I was in love. You know how you can see a photo of someone and be like oh wow they're really pretty? Well like seeing her on webcam was just insane because she looked even better than I could ever imagine. So some point down the road we started talking about how we felt about one another and from there we dated. I can't remember exactly how long it was but if I had to guess I would say around 4-6 months. We would skype and call each other all the time because just hearing her voice made everything in the world so worth it. Whenever I had a bad day just seeing her on skype would make it ten times better. But sadly enough towards the end of the relationship she started talking to me a lot less and it was clear she was putting in a lot less effort. Turns out she left me for some other dude who lived local and the irony was he ended up doing her dirty. Which was something I never woulda done to her cause she was the first girl I ever fell in love with and the first girl that ever truly loved me for me. Flash forward to a few years later I actually went out to California to see some friends and ending up seeing her the first day I was there. It was so surreal seeing the girl I loved for 5 years and knowing I could literally touch her cause it wasn't a dream it was reality. But she failed to mention she had a boyfriend and I didn't realize that till after I came back home from California and I felt really stupid for thinking there was any chance of us ever getting back together.
Currently I'm somewhat talking to a girl in hollywood since I'm moving out to California in the next 3 months but I have a feeling I care way more about her than she does about me.... I guess I'll never know what it's like to genuinely be loved by someone you adore with all your heart lol.

supernovagirl

Actually yeah.

I'm dating my best friend. We actually met about 7 years ago on our eighth grade band trip (we went to school together since he moved here from Venezuela when we were in fourth grade, I just didn't knooooow him). We were all sitting outside waiting for the bus to come pick us up after seeing the South Pacific at the Lincoln Center in NYC and I was freezing and he gave me his suit jacket. We basically became best friends (and were best friends all throughout high school and our first 2 years of college) and then back in November of last year (Thanksgiving break), he confessed his feelings for me and in December we started dating, so we've been together for about 5 months.
He still lives in our hometown about two hours away because he works and goes to school there while I'm up in Orlando going to school. He's transferring to my school next year though :) :)
This is us from this past weekend:

Last edited:

sabby

Is anyone here in a LDR?
I have been in a LDR with my girlfriend for a year and almost 4 months. We met online, actually.
Some days are easier than others. I have been really missing her lately. I haven't seen her in 9 months and it's really wearing me down. I miss her like crazy and would give anything to be able to simply hold her hand or hug her.

That being said, I think long distance relationships have a great amount of trust and are some of the strongest relationships. They are definitely hard, but worth it in the end.
You just have to stay positive!
Which is really hard to do sometimes... wah I miss her :-(
I have been in one for 7+ years with my boyfriend, we met on vmk (orginal). We have met once in person for our 7 year aniversary. It can be hard sometimes but when you really care about someone it is worth it :] goodluck to you.

xLeahmarie

Hungry photographer
I think it's just important to just stay calm, and let her know
how much you appreciate her strength in being able to hold it down
for you. Subtle reminders like that can really help a long distance
relationship. Skype and virtual dates, like if you were to get her to
play VMK, are usually pretty helpful.

And if she calls you if she ever gets a free few minutes, even if it's
only for three minutes, appreciate it! c: Which, hopefully she does
that!

'Best of luck to the both of you!