Marijuana

This is a huge debate in America today. As other states are slowly grounding laws to recreationally legalize it, people across the country are either throwing a fit about it, or they're for it.

What is YOUR opinion on this drug, or herb (since some people don't classify it as a drug).

Please be mature about this.

Tay

Cigarettes and alcohol are significantly more harmful/dangerous and they're legal, so I'm for legalizing it.

WHO

Personally, I've never used it. I believe it's something that should be sold and treated like alcohol. I believe you can get addicted to it, just as anything else and could have lasting effects, just as anything else can.

EDIT: I don't think it's as damaging as other drugs as taylorexia said.

StephaniePea

Tru Pea, Real Pea.
I think it's way too overrated criminally. I strive to be a law abiding person and to be involved in my community, and I think that just because I choose or someone like me chooses to use marijuana instead of cigarettes or other stress relieving mechanisms, it shouldn't be regarded as "criminal" activity. I also suffer from extreme anxiety, and it does help with that. I live in california, and I have a legal card, and I think that should be made available to other states that want it as well.

Tay

I'd like to add on to what Stephanie said; the legal factor plays a role in things other than just health. Tons of people are taking up space in jails/prisons wasting tax dollars just because marijuana is illegal. Their lives have been potentially ruined over getting caught with a plant that does less damage than alcohol. Overcrowding in those jails could be solved with making it legal, even if its regulated.

allison

I realize it's not that harmful of a drug, but if it is legalized, then where is the limit?? Are we then going to want to legalize cocaine ?? That's my issue but idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I think it should be legalized, but with restrictions. The amount of THC should be higher for specific illnesses, while weaker versions should be for the public. I have never smoked, and smelling marijuana made me feel sick (Thanks U2 concert). However, it's 2014, and Four Loko is still allowed to exist, so I think marijuana should be legal.

Monorail

I realize it's not that harmful of a drug, but if it is legalized, then where is the limit?? Are we then going to want to legalize cocaine ?? That's my issue but idk

It has been legalized for the same reason prohibition was repealed; it has become so commonplace among people that it is easier and more profitable to regulate than to prohibit. Plus they make profit through taxes.

I don't see this happening with cocaine any time soon, but even if it does, we can see examples of countries decriminalizing drugs, and how it's worked out.

Portugal and their recent drug decriminalization:

Cocaine and marijuana are on completely different spectrums.

Cocaine and marijuana are on completely different spectrums.
Meh. Legalize it all. It's a victimless crime.

allison

The slippery slope argument does not work here.

That's like saying if you allow alcohol then next will be heroin.

LooseSeal

A lot of the arguments against the legalization of marijuana are completely false and exaggerated.
Totally relevant (and hilarious): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Bqob-weFk

I'm all for legalization. We pour millions of dollars into prosecuting pot users when we can be making millions by taxing it. If we legalize alcohol and cigarettes (both of which are arguably more of a public health risk than pot), then why not weed as well? The "slippery slope" argument is complete sensationalism - as others have said, pot is on a completely different spectrum than coke, heroin, etc. In the words of Dr. Sanjay Gupta, we have been "systematically misled" about marijuana - pot is not an inherently dangerous drug... unless someone ends up with a heart attack from too much Taco Bell or something.

The only thing criminal going on is government officials thinking they know deserve to control what other people put in their bodies.
here in Massachusetts they decided that Vicodin is no longer something they should give to people. they took out most of the acetaminophen (which is the pain killer) and made this new "super strength" Vicodin. my grandmother has diabetes, has had 2 heart attacks, and has other issues such as glaucoma. she has been having terrible pain now but refuses to go on something such as oxys or percs because they make her feel drugged up. it really p'd me off that the government decided, "hey, let's just take this away from you!" just because they could. it's like the government telling us we can't have soft drinks in our school cafeteria, because that's "unhealthy," but there's a McDonalds literally anywhere you go now. which reminds me of the marijuana situation.

alcohol is legal but marijuana isn't? how the heck does that make any sense? how easy is it to die from alcohol compared to dying from marijuana? unless it's laced with something dangerous, there's no real risk of death. the usual type that kills people are synthetics, and people mainly use it to avoid their drug tests coming up positive. see the vicious cycle here?

as soon as i turn 18 i'm going to get my medical marijuana license. it helps me so much with my anxiety and when i'm depressed, it puts a smile on my face within minutes. i've tried so many different medications and it has been the only one that works 100%. i've been smoking it since i was 11 and it hasn't failed me once for the past 7 years.

i'm kind of just ranting here but yeah i'd LOVE to see it legalized

Whispered

Personally, I've never used it. I believe it's something that should be sold and treated like alcohol. I believe you can get addicted to it, just as anything else and could have lasting effects, just as anything else can.

EDIT: I don't think it's as damaging as other drugs as taylorexia said.
^^^^^^^ i agree. but i also agree that alcohol and other impairing drugs with little to no medical value should be much less available.

C

Celluloid

^^^^^^^ i agree. but i also agree that alcohol and other impairing drugs with little to no medical value should be much less available.
That's just the thing. It doesn't matter if it's of medical value or not. People have the right to choose what they want to put in their bodies, and live with the consequences. Doesn't matter if it's weed or meth, it's not our place to take it away from people. The nitty gritty of things like the dangers of making things like meth is best dealt with by other laws protecting property rights, things to do with child safety, and local statutes to protect the value of the neighborhood. If you wanna get really messed up, that's up to you, and I have absolutely say, no matter what it is.
Sure, I understand that a lot of this is entangled in other issues, like ObamaCare, and maybe there could be reductions in benefits for more hardcore drugs (I'm trying to be a bit realistic here on policy implementation).

Last edited by a moderator:

Whispered

That's just the thing. It doesn't matter if it's of medial value or not. People have the right to choose what they want to put in their bodies, and live with the consequences. Doesn't matter if it's weed or meth, it's not our place to take it away from people. The nitty gritty of things like the dangers of making things like meth is best dealt with by other laws protecting property rights, things to do with child safety, and local statutes to protect the value of the neighborhood. If you wanna get really messed up, that's up to you, and I have absolutely say, no matter what it is.
Sure, I understand that a lot of this is entangled in other issues, like ObamaCare, and maybe there could be reductions in benefits for more hardcore drugs (I'm trying to be a bit realistic here on policy implementation).
but when those consequences start affecting other people, then there's an issue. You can't give someone their kids and husband back who were killed by a drunk driver, even by throwing the person in jail for the rest of their life. And a drunk person isn't going to listen to a law that says don't drive drunk - it impairs your thoughts. If people were more responsible, sure. But America? Nah. Not right now at least.