Minimum Wage

allison

about the costco thing, they run on a completely different business model than other stores. Other stores like WalMart simply can't afford to pay Costco wages. CostCo runs on a membership ordeal where people pay a certain amount per month just to shop there. Also, they sell in bulk, which makes people spend a lot more than they would at WalMart. CostCo doesn't have nearly the amount of employees as WalMart. That's why CostCo can pay more to its employees.

----------

No, that's not what I mean. I'm personally finding interesting and valid points on both sides.

What I'm saying is, on both sides of the argument, people are tending to be more aggressive and closed-minded towards the opposite view than people usually are in these debates. It's just an observation. :p(not directed at anyone in particular) This debate is an interesting read, as long as it stays civil. I can't take any argument seriously when people are calling others stupid for having a differing opinion. I'll stay on the sidelines, though.
I certainly would not call others stupid for believing a stupid way. I don't think that's productive at all. Just because I won't believe what others say doesn't make me close minded. I just don't see eye to eye with those people.

I certainly would not call others stupid for believing a stupid way. I don't think that's productive at all. Just because I won't believe what others say doesn't make me close minded. I just don't see eye to eye with those people.
Like I said, it wasn't directed at anyone particular. (:

allison

Like I said, it wasn't directed at anyone particular. (:
I know. I guess I was trying to make the point that it really is counterproductive when people call each other dumb. One time I was asked if I was insane. To have a proper debate, I think we should all refrain from the name calling.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Well your situation is different. You paid for schooling that you ended up not liking. That is no one's fault but your own, that you did not end up enjoying your field and wasted your money. Did you do enough research about the career field?
Let's take, for example, a person who was completely satisfied with their schooling and wanted to pursue a career in that field. Sure, it will take a few years to pay back all the loans, but once you are finished, you are earning more than you would if you were working in, say, a fast food restaurant. So that's why I think going to college and taking out a loan is worth it in the long run.
I don't blame anyone for my not ending up happy with my field of choice, or for my having to take out a loan. When you're 18 and just graduated High School and are pressured to go to school because the belief is college = $$$, you can end up hating the field you chose out of haste. My situation is really not so different from many, many other struggling students. But I digress, so back to the topic.

For one, taking out a loan for school and eventually obtaining a position of employment in your field of study would make that loan worthwhile in the long run, yes but that's only if you are able to obtain a position of employment.

Going to college and getting a degree this day and age does not guarantee you employment. In fact, as I stated above before, there is a vast majority of people finishing college with degrees that end up at minimum wage jobs to pay for those loans, because employment in their field of choice isn't available. This has been an ongoing problem for some time.

However, if you have to take out a loan to improve your living status because the wages you earn aren't enough, you're essentially putting yourself in to more debt because you can't make the payments and eventually ruin your credit score further, this is one way people end up bankrupt.

Thus, loans are not always a solution. They're only helpful (in my experience) in times when someone is financially able to support themselves, and pay back a loan to boost their credit, without going bankrupt in the process. This is financial responsibility, and it is learned. Loans are not something to be used as a hasty solution to poor wages. It will end up making your situation worse if you can't afford the loan payments.

about the costco thing, they run on a completely different business model than other stores. Other stores like WalMart simply can't afford to pay Costco wages. CostCo runs on a membership ordeal where people pay a certain amount per month just to shop there. Also, they sell in bulk, which makes people spend a lot more than they would at WalMart. CostCo doesn't have nearly the amount of employees as WalMart. That's why CostCo can pay more to its employees.
Actually, based on the video breakdown posted earlier in this thread of the raise of Walmart employee wages, the company and consumers could definitely afford to raise the wages of Walmart employees. And if anything it would save people more money in their taxes to do so, and help the overall condition of the economy.

Last edited:

allison

I don't blame anyone for my not ending up happy with my field of choice, or for my having to take out a loan. When you're 18 and just graduated High School and are pressured to go to school because the belief is college = $$$, you can end up hating the field you chose out of haste. But I digress, so back to the topic.

For one, taking out a loan for school and eventually obtaining a position of employment in your field of study would make that loan worthwhile in the long run, yes but that's only if you are able to obtain a position of employment.

Going to college and getting a degree this day and age does not guarantee you employment. In fact, as I stated above before, there is a vast majority of people finishing college with degrees that end up at minimum wage jobs to pay for those loans, because employment in their field of choice isn't available. This has been an ongoing problem for some time.

However, if you have to take out a loan to improve your living status because the wages you earn aren't enough, you're essentially putting yourself in to more debt because you can't make the payments and eventually ruin your credit score further, this is one way people end up bankrupt.

Thus, loans are not always a solution. They're only helpful (in my experience) in times when someone is financially able to support themselves, and pay back a loan to boost their credit, without going bankrupt in the process. This is financial responsibility, and it is learned. Loans are not something to be used as a hasty solution to poor wages. It will end up making your situation worse if you can't afford the loan payments.
It is true that college is not for everyone, but I think that if people really want to go to college and have trouble paying for it, taking out a loan would be in their best interest. That way, they have something to fall back on.
Trades are becoming ever popular in the US. In my area, you can spend the last two years of high school learning a trade. Then, you are certified to work in that trade, and jobs are almost guaranteed. They also pay nicely. Maybe this could be an option for people who cannot afford college.

----------

I don't blame anyone for my not ending up happy with my field of choice, or for my having to take out a loan. When you're 18 and just graduated High School and are pressured to go to school because the belief is college = $$$, you can end up hating the field you chose out of haste. My situation is really not so different from many, many other struggling students. But I digress, so back to the topic.

Actually, based on the video breakdown posted earlier in this thread of the raise of Walmart employee wages, the company and consumers could definitely afford to raise the wages of Walmart employees. And if anything it would save people more money in their taxes to do so, and help the overall condition of the economy.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/talking-numbers/peter-schiff-why-wal-mart-t-pay-15-110803125.html

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It is true that college is not for everyone, but I think that if people really want to go to college and have trouble paying for it, taking out a loan would be in their best interest. That way, they have something to fall back on.
Trades are becoming ever popular in the US. In my area, you can spend the last two years of high school learning a trade. Then, you are certified to work in that trade, and jobs are almost guaranteed. They also pay nicely. Maybe this could be an option for people who cannot afford college.
Their High School would have to offer such a program, and they would have to be eligible for it. Where I live this is called Vocational School, I myself was not eligible for it when I was in school.

I get your point that there are some options available, but keep in mind they may not be available to everyone.

But do you see where I'm coming from on the topic of loans?

allison

Their High School would have to offer such a program, and they would have to be eligible for it. Where I live this is called Vocational School, I myself was not eligible for it when I was in school.

I get your point that there are some options available, but keep in mind they may not be available to everyone.

But do you see where I'm coming from on the topic of loans?
Sure, everyone cannot afford loans, but for the people really dedicated and who really want college, I think it would be best for those people.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Sure, everyone cannot afford loans, but for the people really dedicated and who really want college, I think it would be best for those people.
It doesn't have to do with dedication with loans, it has to do with affordability.

My question to you, have you ever had a job or do you have one right now, if so: Do you make hourly wages or salary? And how much? (If you don't mind me asking).

Then think about what you pay for rent/utilities/and extras (such as cable, internet, and phone)- whether you drive a used car (insurance, basic liability policy), or have a car payment (whatever insurance is necessary for the kind of car you're paying on, plus the payment) - then add on gas as well as how often you have to fill the gas tank, then include groceries/toiletries.

With how much it costs you to live, based on your wages, how much extra money would you be able to save on the side for emergencies, and also be able to pay your bills and add on a loan payment for college?

Monorail

Even if you took out a loan to go to college, you'd still be stuck trying to pay it back with an entry level job while attending college.

Trying to pay back school loans and support yourself making 7.25 an hour is a lot harder than it sounds. No offense to you personally, but I feel as if you aren't aware of the cost of living in the US.

------------------------------------------
Let's be realistic for a minute.

1. Inflation will not stop
2. Minimum wage will need to increase sometime

when should this be? If you don't think it should be when a family can not sustain themselves without the need of food stamps or living assistance while making an honest living, I'd like to know when you think it should.

Last edited:
Well your situation is different. You paid for schooling that you ended up not liking. That is no one's fault but your own, that you did not end up enjoying your field and wasted your money. Did you do enough research about the career field?
Let's take, for example, a person who was completely satisfied with their schooling and wanted to pursue a career in that field. Sure, it will take a few years to pay back all the loans, but once you are finished, you are earning more than you would if you were working in, say, a fast food restaurant. So that's why I think going to college and taking out a loan is worth it in the long run.
The problem is that reading about college is one thing, and actually going is something different. Inevitably, some people are going to think college is the right choice, take out a five-figure loan to go to college for a semester, and then re-think their decision. College is too risky to be as expensive as it is, and so I believe that we need an education system more in line with what European countries have (i.e. really, really cheap).

They still find ways to profit on small margins. WIth Wal-Mart's profit figures, they can take a hit. (Not to mention the fact that Wal-Mart's small wages cost the federal government money.)

Trades are admittedly a good other option. I'm not sure how trade schools are structured elsewhere in the country, though.

The CEO of an investment firm wants other companies to have high profits. As such, it is in his best interest to manipulate data to the media, so that policy actions maintain high profits. If he were to come out and say, "Yeah, a $15 minimum wage is okay," then people would start pushing for one, and Wal-Mart's profits could drop off, and the stock market could take a hit. (And the minimum wage increases on the table are much closer to $10 than $15.)

While they're an option, and even beneficial for the people who can afford college, are they necessary at all? Tertiary education in, say, Finland costs almost nothing compared to the cost of college in the United States. We can address that, I think.

I don't think you're giving people with minimum wage jobs enough credit. Although most minimum wage jobs don't require very much skill, often times they require a lot more time and hard work. Anyone can be a waiter or a waitress, but not everyone can deal with the work, effort, tolerance, service, etc required to do the job right. It seems like it would be an easy job, but it can get exhausting fairly quickly and because of low pay rates, waiters and waitresses have to pick up many hours just to be able to afford to live somewhat comfortably which further increases the amount of work and effort that goes into these kinds of jobs. Also, not everyone can afford to go to college and work towards a higher paying job like doctor/lawyer. I don't know of many people who would choose to pay the fortune of schooling to be a doctor/lawyer if they didn't have an interest in that career path so I doubt raising minimum wage would significantly reduce the amount of doctors/lawyers in the population. Not everyone is as lazy as you seem to be making them out to be
Well said Emelye.

Allison I'm starting to think you've never had to lift you finger to earn money.
I get payed $8.00 an hour while working my butt off at a pet store. I attempted college, but had to drop out due to a medical issue. I'm having to pay off my student loans, earn enough for a car of my own, and save for getting back to college. I know without a doubt I would be homeless if my parents didn't let me live with them.

btw the fact that you can buy an island in Nova Scotia or Maine for $30,000 dollars is sad. Why is college $40,000 when we can just go buy an island?

So I think minimum wages should be raised to a livable wage. Everyone deserves to be able to pay all their bills, have a home, and food.

Last edited:
I'm a college student, so I can only work part time, and I live in Oregon, which has the second highest minimum wage ($9.10), and even working every free hour I have I still can't make enough money in a month to pay rent, let alone pay for food, loans, and tuition. I can't imagine what it's like in other states with the federal minimum wage.
I agree with what Emelye and Coral said. Minimum wage should be raised to an amount where it's possible to live off the money.
And I have also worked at Costco during the summers, and I can say that the fact that Costco pays workers generously affects how much people enjoy their job, therefore how much effort they put into it.
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I think this really hits the nail on the head. It's not only teenagers who work minimum wage jobs. People of all ages work minimum wage, and everyone should have the opportunity to be able to live off the money they make at work.
http://www.upworthy.com/25-really-engaging-images-about-minimum-wage-5?c=to1

Last edited:
I'm a college student, so I can only work part time, and I live in Oregon, which has the second highest minimum wage ($9.10), and even working every free hour I have I still can't make enough money in a month to pay rent, let alone pay for food, loans, and tuition. I can't imagine what it's like in other states with the federal minimum wage.
I agree with what Emelye and Coral said. Minimum wage should be raised to an amount where it's possible to live off the money.
And I have also worked at Costco during the summers, and I can say that the fact that Costco pays workers generously affects how much people enjoy their job, therefore how much effort they put into it.
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I think this really hits the nail on the head. It's not only teenagers who work minimum wage jobs. People of all ages work minimum wage, and everyone should have the opportunity to be able to live off the money they make at work.
http://www.upworthy.com/25-really-engaging-images-about-minimum-wage-5?c=to1
I agree it's not just young people. I had a sweet elderly lady come to the store today, and she said she may need another job to pay for her cat and dog supplies. That one statement alone broke my heart, but I know exactly how she feels.

Emelon

My orthodontist took out a large student loan to pay for schooling and although he loves his job and is very passionate about his work, he has told me that he wishes he had chosen a different profession that didn't put him in so much debt. He makes quite a bit of money as an orthodontist, but he also has to provide for his family and pay the costs of running a business. Even with all the money that he's making, paying off the student loan as well as other living/business costs each month is still extremely difficult for him and money is tight. He will have to continue to keep paying off his student loans for many, many years. Very rarely can anyone pay off their student loans in a mere few years.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
The minimum wage in Utah is $7.25. I think it needs to be raised, it's too low. Some people need to make a living, and $7.25 isn't enough.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
My orthodontist took out a large student loan to pay for schooling and although he loves his job and is very passionate about his work, he has told me that he wishes he had chosen a different profession that didn't put him in so much debt. He makes quite a bit of money as an orthodontist, but he also has to provide for his family and pay the costs of running a business. Even with all the money that he's making, paying off the student loan as well as other living/business costs each month is still extremely difficult for him and money is tight. He will have to continue to keep paying off his student loans for many, many years. Very rarely can anyone pay off their student loans in a mere few years.
Personally I feel like the source of that statement [MENTION=357]allison[/MENTION] made was based on speculation and not actual research. As I tried to explain, simply taking out a loan isn't a solution to your financial struggles or a solution to going to college because you end up in debt which further ruins your financial stability.

As I've said, college this day and age does not guarantee you a career that will make you enough money to survive comfortably, or even a career in your field at all. The loans needed for college tuition's are monumental, and when you think in theory of things it's easy to believe your speculations are so simple to make a reality, but life isn't simple even in the slightest.

If you are smart enough in school, you can get scholarships. Anybody can get scholarships if they work hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is 100% untrue. I got $20,000 in scholarships to my school, which is a "full ride", but scholarships do not include housing, food, or fees. I'm still taking out loans just to make ends meet. Also, not everyone can get scholarships. The majority of scholarships offered are for minorities/low class. As a white, middle class student it's hard for me to get scholarships. Please do your research and provide actual sources. All of your arguments are just unsubstantiated assumptions and you're making yourself look dumb.

Just a reminder:

People posting on this thread are doing a pretty good job being nice to each other while arguing their side of the question. Try to keep it up and avoid name calling. Remember: just because you don't agree with someone's opinion does not mean they are wrong.