MyVMK Community Demographic

What Age Group Do You Currently Fall Under?

• 12 and under

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 13-17

Votes: 96 24.9%
  • 18-21

Votes: 190 49.2%
  • 22-30

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • 31-35

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 36-45

Votes: 21 5.4%
  • 46 and up

Votes: 41 10.6%

• Total voters

Emelon

I don't see why sharing our age in the poll is a problem, it's completely anonymous and can in no way be linked back to any particular person

- - - Updated - - -

edit: oh nvm people are posting ages. Also don't see why that is a problem lol.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Perhaps that omission can be amended in the official rules if people are going to quibble over details they could probably determine for themselves. I still don't think any minors should make themselves a target for predators. It's still common sense to keep that info to ourselves.
The poll is anonymous so how are minors becoming targets?

And if someone decides to post their age that's their personal choice, if they truly are young enough where there is reasonable predatory concern, they shouldn't be online and that's up to their parents to decide, it's not up to the community to decide.

In addition to that, I was responding to a post stating that sharing your age is against the rules of the forums/game by restating the rules to show that no where in the implied list of information not allowed to be shared, is age among them. You have the option to display your full birth date on your profile here on the forums, which showcases your age, so I don't agree that it's "common sense" that simply your age can't be shared if you choose to do so, nor that it's "implied" without being state in the rules.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why sharing our age in the poll is a problem, it's completely anonymous and can in no way be linked back to any particular person

- - - Updated - - -

edit: oh nvm people are posting ages. Also don't see why that is a problem lol.
I don't either Em.

In my opinion if a player truly doesn't see a problem sharing age, or any other personal information, then they are much too young / innocent / gullible to share their age.

karkat

are we really arguing about people telling other people how old they are???
you're age isnt really personal information, and you cant really track down someone based on their age alone can u
:\
also there is no rule on the books about it right now so can u old ppl calm down or

Ranch

how about we just respect the fact that I don't want you to post your age on this thread.

you little children may feel that rules don't apply to you, but this is what is requested.

Emelon

In my opinion if a player truly doesn't see a problem sharing age, or any other personal information, then they are much too young / innocent / gullible to share their age.
I have no problem sharing my age, but I don't see how that makes me gullible and I am far from innocent. Grouping age into the personal information category is going a bit too far. In my opinion, that's almost the same as saying it'd be naive to share with the public the color of my hair, eyes, skin color, etc. These are all physical characteristics and cannot be traced back to me or used to hunt me down and find me.

Not surprised by the results at all, but I do feel there are definitely even more 46+ ...just not on the forums.

As for telling age...It's not necessarily that someone will track us down with our age, but saftey for the younger players.

I don't really have a problem with telling my age personally... My friends here know my age, mostly told outside of the game. HOWEVER, we do have some younger players. Some are even younger than 12. There are too many creeps and bully's that will see that someone is a young player and take advantage and manipulate them. It's not as difficult or as rare for this to happen as you think it might be. Sure we might like to think we have a responsible community and parents monitor their young children when online, but that's not the case.

I've played quite a few online game and age has always been considered personal info.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I have no problem sharing my age, but I don't see how that makes me gullible and I am far from innocent. Grouping age into the personal information category is going a bit too far. In my opinion, that's almost the same as saying it'd be naive to share with the public the color of my hair, eyes, skin color, etc. These are all physical characteristics and cannot be traced back to me or used to hunt me down and find me.
Precisely my point. If sharing our age is so unsafe and against the rules on here, why is sharing our birth date an option on our profile? We can post our age on our profile but can't post it in a thread for suddenly it's so unsafe? It's unsafe to give out your social security number, your address, your phone number, your workplace, your city. Your age is just a physical attribute, nothing more than a mere number in my opinion.

Precisely my point. If sharing our age is so unsafe and against the rules on here, why is sharing our birth date an option on our profile? We can post our age on our profile but can't post it in a thread for suddenly it's so unsafe? It's unsafe to give out your social security number, your address, your phone number, your workplace, your city. Your age is just a physical attribute, nothing more than a mere number in my opinion.
Our profiles also have a place for location and occupation....I was actually just wondering why they would include that, but really it's just part of all forums...they don't set it up. Anyways, I'm not saying anyone with right or wrong about the rule about telling age. I personally feel myVMK Staff needs to go through their rules and be more specific. It is up to them how they want to run the game, and it should be clear. There shouldn't be a question of if age is allowed or not.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Our profiles also have a place for location and occupation....I was actually just wondering why they would include that, but really it's just part of all forums...they don't set it up. Anyways, I'm not saying anyone with right or wrong about the rule about telling age. I personally feel myVMK Staff needs to go through their rules and be more specific. It is up to them how they want to run the game, and it should be clear. There shouldn't be a question of if age is allowed or not.
There shouldn't, but there is. So when there is question, you're correct it is up to them as to make the rules more clearly then. There may be a place to share your work, and location but as someone made a comment earlier on what is "common sense" and as I have stated, it is my honest opinion that not stating your workplace and location is common sense, but however I feel your age shouldn't be an issue, and while it is outlined in the rules that location is not allowed, age however is not in those official statements.

Well Said Clever.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I think what this poll is showing is really how large the over 21 group is. I think many thought the large majority was played by teens. I know at least 50 other people personally in the over 30 that are very active players. I think this is important to show the diversity of the group.

What I do want to know is sharing you age in the game allowed?. Does say in the rules( that no personal information should be shared even though not specifically said age is still personal information) the messaged boards are set up with the ability to share age. If they took this away a lot of people would create a hassle as we are seeing on this thread. You were asked not to share ages by host in the game. If this is the case then to actively do this is showing disrespect.

However, many may not know hosts have request no ages be said in game.

This need clarification. Would a member of the game staff please respond to this. Are we allowed to say our ages in the game?

S

Spivey

Are you guys really arguing over whether or not we should be allowed to share our ages?

It's hardly a privacy breach if you share it, it's not like you can find somebodies address and cell phone number from a post saying "I'm 14". There's nothing you can lose or gain from saying "Oh, I'm 18" or "Oh, I'm 14". Age is just a number on the internet, nobody really cares.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I am not arguing which way. I have just stated we need clarification. It may not be a breach of privacy to many it is personal and that has been requested we do not share. So to stop this back and forth we need staff to answer the question.

Graham

オミッド
i'm 15.

I don't care if someone knows my age because it has nothing to do with my personal location or any of that sort that can easily be tracked down. If people want to share information like that, they should be able to. It's understandable to be frantic about someone flaunting about their state, city, school, etc.