MyVMK Community Demographic

What Age Group Do You Currently Fall Under?

• 12 and under

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 13-17

Votes: 96 24.9%
  • 18-21

Votes: 190 49.2%
  • 22-30

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • 31-35

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 36-45

Votes: 21 5.4%
  • 46 and up

Votes: 41 10.6%

• Total voters

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
Sorry to budge in, but why are you concerned about people sharing their ages?

It's impossible to look someone up just by a specified number. There are billions of people in this world, and a number won't make anyone more vulnerable.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Am I the only person who thinks a lot of people just voted 46+ for fun? lol.

Well I believe it to be fairly accurate. Though I know of about 100 people who are in that age group that play who will not post on the forum. I think the game is pretty evenly split on ages. Remember many parents and grand parents played with the kids as a family. I belong to a group that is another my Myvmk player group with about 300 members. Most of them do not post here. Because of the way they are treated on this forum.

Though I must say that compared to the posts on OVMK this is a much nicer place :)

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I am not saying it is wrong just look at how a predator can work. They are very skilled at getting information out. On this forum many of you have posted pics or facebook so we already know how old you may be. This is for the young person that may not have thought it all out. The chances of this happening ar slim. But I would never want anyone I know to be that 1 in a million. There is always a one.

Age 14. Not big deal there are billions of 14 year olds

Then people are talking in game and you say I live in Florida.

Another day well I am going to WDW because I live really close to the the mouse house.

2 weeks later you say oh our foot ball team just lost a really close game and give the score. ( check local school sport scores)

Another week later you say oh I got this really cool back pack and describe it. ( someone starts to whatch students enter school with certain back packs)

My avatar has the same hair colour wish we had glasses.

Have to go to the store brb it is just 5 minutes away.

Do you see where I am going. There is just so many things that can be said since I am not a predator I have no idea what real question they may ask in game to glean information. I am not posting this for a well I totally disagree. I am posting it for anyone who may have not thought about this. I am not posting this to be a rule person. I care to much. To not say anything. I do not know most of you but if anything happened my heart would be broken especially if I did not say anything.

I could go on. Your age is the starting point to many predators. Now they watch you. They get the facts from the odd information you give. You are a target and do not even know it. You have made really good friends with someone in the game. They are really cool like the same songs, movies and talk the way you talk. Little do you know you could be talking to a 50 year old man.

Oh I am not that gullible. I saw more than one post from people who were shocked to find out who their friends were after the game. They felt used and totally misled. They thought they had a best friend on line who was a girl. Found out they were always a guy. So please please if you are going to share be safe.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I think what this poll is showing is really how large the over 21 group is. I think many thought the large majority was played by teens. I know at least 50 other people personally in the over 30 that are very active players. I think this is important to show the diversity of the group.

What I do want to know is sharing you age in the game allowed?. Does say in the rules( that no personal information should be shared even though not specifically said age is still personal information) the messaged boards are set up with the ability to share age. If they took this away a lot of people would create a hassle as we are seeing on this thread. You were asked not to share ages by host in the game. If this is the case then to actively do this is showing disrespect.

However, many may not know hosts have request no ages be said in game.

This need clarification. Would a member of the game staff please respond to this. Are we allowed to say our ages in the game?
This is becoming far too much of an issue in my opinion. If it's against the rules, they should change it to state clearly, and outright "Do not share your age." Otherwise, I don't see the problem or why it's becoming such an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not arguing which way. I have just stated we need clarification. It may not be a breach of privacy to many it is personal and that has been requested we do not share. So to stop this back and forth we need staff to answer the question.
It is a personal thing to some. So those it's personal to haven't shared it. Those that it doesn't make a difference to, chose to publicize their age. My only question is why is that such an issue? And why was it turned in to such an issue?

Ranch

Sharing personal information such as ages.. addresses.. phone numbers.. etc.. is VERY dangerous here for one underlying reason. We all have a meeting place, the parks. This isn't some chat room where pedophiles prey on victims thousands of miles away.. this is a community that organizes park meets and many plan trips around other members' trips. God forbid some crazy tries to meet you and snatches you up and makes you do horrible things like cleaning and getting a job.. all because you shared your age.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
Sharing personal information such as ages.. addresses.. phone numbers.. etc.. is VERY dangerous here for one underlying reason. We all have a meeting place, the parks. This isn't some chat room where pedophiles prey on victims thousands of miles away.. this is a community that organizes park meets and many plan trips around other members' trips. God forbid some crazy tries to meet you and snatches you up and makes you do horrible things like cleaning and getting a job.. all because you shared your age.
It's impossible to look someone up just by a specified number. There are billions of people in this world, and a number won't make anyone more vulnerable.

Horse

Those that it doesn't make a difference to, chose to publicize their age. My only question is why is that such an issue? And why was it turned in to such an issue?
The problem is that you could be targeted because of the age you post. That's what we're trying to get at here.

Some creep is attracted to how young you are, searches your posts on the forum and gets more personal info and maybe pics, joins the fb group and gets your real name since there's a list of who you are on fb and your avatar's name, they friend you in game, and it goes from there.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
The problem is that you could be targeted because of the age you post. That's what we're trying to get at here.

Some creep is attracted to how young you are, searches your posts on the forum and gets more personal info and maybe pics, joins the fb group and gets your real name since there's a list of who you are on fb and your avatar's name, they friend you in game, and it goes from there.
If posting your age on a forum makes you such an easy target, I'd hate to see what danger having a facebook profile puts you in.

Again it comes down to personal choice. Feel it's too personal to post your age? Don't post it. Some don't care, so there shouldn't be an issue with those who are inclined to share their age publicly. I think majority of those that posted their age publicly on here are old enough to do so, so I don't understand where this whole thing came from.

Ages people have posted so far: 14, 16, 17 almost 18, 19, 19, and 20 (myself). In my opinion, none too young to be forthcoming with their age.

Graham

オミッド

To stop something like this from happening is to play safe. That's all there really is to it. You guys are being way too paranoid and sure being precautious is good but this is overly protective type of stuff. If you have a bad feeling about someone, ignore them and avoid them or hell, just report them. I've been on tons of forums and have had a bunch of creeps poking at me, it's so easy to ignore and shrug off. If someone makes you uncomfortable, then just frickin ignore them.

Ranch

You guys are being way too paranoid and sure being precautious is good but this is overly protective
Paranoid.. maybe. Cautious.. probably. Protective? YOU GOT IT.

We're not gonna sit and watch someone risk the entire community and game over being obnoxious and spiteful. All it takes is one case to where a judge hears, "I met my attacker/kidnapper in MyVMK.com". From there, the happy place would be in complete jeopardy of facing a closure.. all because of one little child rebelling against what's common knowledge when using the internet.

what I'm saying is I could care less who ends up all bloated in the river.. but when it puts my happy place at risk.. that ain't cool. Night night!

Graham

オミッド

We're not gonna sit and watch someone risk the entire community and game over being obnoxious and spiteful. All it takes is one case to where a judge hears, "I met my attacker/kidnapper in MyVMK.com". From there, the happy place would be in complete jeopardy of facing a closure.. all because of one little child rebelling against what's common knowledge when using the internet.

what I'm saying is I could care less who ends up all bloated in the river.. but when it puts my happy place at risk.. that ain't cool. Night night!
If someone wants to say their age aloud, they should be able to state their age. The only way to prevent someone from being bloated in a river or being attacked/kidnapped is for everyone to play safe and be worried themselves. The rules as an entirety shouldn't change because a few people are scared of something that can easily be prevented with a little bit of knowledge. Stop being so headstrong.

Lettie

lol... you do know people can lie about their age?

in that case i'm 78...
does that all of a sudden make me an attacker/kidnapper?

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

So you don't care if someone ends up a corpse, you only care that it risks a game being shut down...

And there's a reason there's an age limit to sign up for a site, doesn't mean people won't lie about their age but that's not the communities problem, that's the parent's problem.

John

Why is this community so dramatic
It's literally a poll for age for reference- not about soliciting minors.

Ranch

So you don't care if someone ends up a corpse, you only care that it risks a game being shut down...
Ain't nobody got time for no corpses... I got plenty of time for VMK though, yep.
Can we not confirm my posts though? This could be a lot of work if I gotta reiterate a post with a post every time I post. Gotta pay attention, like an adult.