MyVMK Community Demographic

What Age Group Do You Currently Fall Under?

• 12 and under

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 13-17

Votes: 96 24.9%
  • 18-21

Votes: 190 49.2%
  • 22-30

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • 31-35

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 36-45

Votes: 21 5.4%
  • 46 and up

Votes: 41 10.6%

• Total voters
S

Spivey

I asked this question yesterday but no one responded. Supporting reasons, and some documentation, have been submitted for the "do not share ages" point of view. I really would like to try to understand the other pov.

"I'm curious as to why anyone wants to publish their age? Why is it so important for other players to know?"
It's the internet, age is just a number, you can't stalk someone based on it, ect. ect.

Seriously, VMK closed about five years ago. Most of the people who played then have matured to an age to where they should no better when it comes to what they publish on the internet. If they don't, then it's their own fault.

The majority of this game is 16+, with an exception of a handful of users, most 16 year olds who know a thing or two about internet forums know the risks they take putting bits of personal information up. Typically, it's just not a problem.

It would be a stupid thing to try and limit, especially when we're allowed to use real names and have a thread dedicated to pictures of ourselves.

Emelon

I asked this question yesterday but no one responded. Supporting reasons, and some documentation, have been submitted for the "do not share ages" point of view. I really would like to try to understand the other pov.

"I'm curious as to why anyone wants to publish their age? Why is it so important for other players to know?"
Freedom of speech? Contributing to the discussion?
I don't think the reasoning for posting ages is because there's an overwhelming need for other players to know how old you are. When strangers first meet, it's only normal to share little bits of information about yourself, in hopes that common points of interest between the two of you can be found. Often times, people of around the same age are able to relate to each other a lot easier than those with larger age gaps. From personal experience, I know that I'm able to speak to people around my age and form friendships with them a lot easier than with people who are much older than me.

It's not "so important" for other players to know your age. But it's also not "so important" to keep your age a secret. In the world that we live in now, it would be just as dangerous to tell a stranger you meet at the grocery store your age, as it is to share your age on an online forum. In both situations, from the number you tell him that stranger would in no way be able to track you down. It's what happens after that, and the information shared after that (or what the stranger decides to do), that causes problems and can create a dangerous situation. Also, in both situations, there is little you can do to prevent something bad from happening anyway. Unless you plan on avoiding all people in general because all people are potentially dangerous and a risk to our health and safety. Which is just ridiculous.

Like I've said before, age is only a physical characteristic. It can be categorized as personal information, but so can anything else you share with someone. If it's not okay to share your age, why is it okay to post a picture of yourself? Tell someone your favorite song? Talk about your favorite hobby?

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It's the internet, age is just a number, you can't stalk someone based on it, ect. ect.

Seriously, VMK closed about five years ago. Most of the people who played then have matured to an age to where they should no better when it comes to what they publish on the internet. If they don't, then it's their own fault.

The majority of this game is 16+, with an exception of a handful of users, most 16 year olds who know a thing or two about internet forums know the risks they take putting bits of personal information up. Typically, it's just not a problem.

It would be a stupid thing to try and limit, especially when we're allowed to use real names and have a thread dedicated to pictures of ourselves.
My thoughts precisely.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It's probably because we just don't care, or we don't have the desire to ruin threads, no matter how absurd they are. We could hit every thread in conflict with the topic if we wanted to.. but we're a little bit more mature than that.

Good job spotting/outting another risk though.. glad to see we're getting through to you.
It's a shame nothing has gotten through to you.

How come every Disney related board/forum I belong to never allows threads to get this divisive. I am sad because the OP originally requested that ages be not share.
It is because most Disney forums are ran by adults with some business and life in the real world behind them. They are also adults with families and understand how to take authority and enforce rules. This forum is ran by kids/very young adults and the kids/very young adults have also placed those in their age group in staff/tester positions.

There is no other forum I have been a part of that allows so many arguments, hateful/sarcastic remarks being said to other forum members nor do they allow unfriendly debates to continue.

It's actually a pretty rational argument.

No one has jurisdiction over the Internet as a whole. Internet "censorship" in the West is based on being able to physically seize servers which traffic criminal activities, or arresting the people involved with such operations. This is why major piracy hubs haven't been taken out: they're hiding out in countries where laws against piracy are almost non-existent. The US government doesn't run the Internet, and they legally aren't allowed to censor the Internet, so nothing can be done. (Bonus: IP address is becoming insufficient evidence to prove guilt. Thus, minimal repercussions.)

The Internet as an entity is pretty much anarchy.

That said, Amy still has control over what goes through her own server. If the staff here decide that telling age is not allowed, that's their decision, and members will abide by it or be punished.

Stefa

English&Literature Major
How Old Are You?

So I was thinking about this the other day...Because presumably most of us were in elementary/middle school when the original VMK was up...So I'm curious what this age group is largely made of?

:) It's fun to see the magic still around even though we're older!

I am 21 myself! wbu??