Non-restrictive chat!

OVMK stated that they planned on implementing a restricted chat. I think we are all old enough to know how to handle ourselves in the way that we speak. Those who prove that they cannot control themselves should be restricted or whatever you think the consequences should be. I know that we are trying to recreate VMK as accurately as possible, but I'm pretty sure that nobody liked having to reword their entire thought just to communicate a simple sentence. I understand not swearing or being vulgar, and I completely agree with that, but this is not Disney anymore and I feel that we shouldn't be restricted to the same way of speaking that we were back when we were kids on VMK.

I agree. A dictionary isn't what we should be going for. A free chat, with some censored/restricted words that are obviously inappropriate. But to be once again unable to say silly things like, "Year" or "One" or "Dad" would be silly.

cyre

Based on the age range, there would have to be some COPPA compliance, which is why VMK was so restrictive. Maybe down the road it could be like how Club Penguin(I think) was- if you were under a certain age, you only had pre-selected phrases. but then to add those older only filtered profanity, and then that profanity showed up as ### or something.

cyre said:
Based on the age range, there would have to be some COPPA compliance, which is why VMK was so restrictive. Maybe down the road it could be like how Club Penguin(I think) was- if you were under a certain age, you only had pre-selected phrases. but then to add those older only filtered profanity, and then that profanity showed up as ### or something.
Yeah, something like Club Penguin's chat would be for the best.

greeniemimi

Just call me Mims. :)
There are many online games that have restricted chat for those players under 18 and open chat for players 18 or older. It can be done, however with this being a completely "free" game, I don't think there is any way of players to PROVE they are adults. I know myself, I am not going to give anyone my credit card info as proof, would you? This would mean restricted words for every player, no open chat whatsoever, and I think this would be the best way to go.

booglie

cyre said:
This sounds like a reasonable compromise I think

Dudet I also have said so before that were mature adults now there no need for any of us to like even needed to be filtered in anyway! But rather we of the adults should teach the younger generations to become great people for us to be like role models for the future generation, and make it a great game for young children, and people of all ages!

Jude said:
Dudet I also have said so before that were mature adults now there no need for any of us to like even needed to be filtered in anyway! But rather we of the adults should teach the younger generations to become great people for us to be like role models for the future generation, and make it a great game for young children, and people of all ages!
Isn't that a bit of a generalization? Not everyone playing is and adult and not everyone is mature as seen from all this ovmk drama lol. We can't assume these things. If we don't have filters to block out swearing with spaces and stuff, I'd like to at least see more in-game moderators whose sole purpose is to keep the kingdom a safe and supportive environment and warn/ban those who choose not to comply with the MMK values.

Meanestpianist said:
Jude said:
Isn't that a bit of a generalization? Not everyone playing is and adult and not everyone is mature as seen from all this ovmk drama lol. We can't assume these things. If we don't have filters to block out swearing with spaces and stuff, I'd like to at least see more in-game moderators whose sole purpose is to keep the kingdom a safe and supportive environment and warn/ban those who choose not to comply with the MMK values.
ITA There are families that play and not all adults that do play this game are mature. Some of the things I've seen written in-game, on the ovmk forum and other networking sites over the last week+ were nasty. Some form of filter definitely should be in place. I don't think there is a way to "prove" your age besides a credit card, so there is no stopping kids from claiming they are 18+

I think there should be 2 servers I know for a fact club penguin private servers have 2 servers.. One for cussing and a non restrictive chat and another for filtered chat. I feel as though eventually Amy or someone could implant this into the game so that the people who want filter chat can go on that server and the people that want nonrestrictive chat can go on that server. (Just my opinion about it.)

I'd like a system like on Toontown, where if you know the person IRL or just outside the game, you could exchange a code and have non-restricted chat with that person. I don't know how that'd be implemented, but just an idea.

Vici said:
I'd like a system like on Toontown, where if you know the person IRL or just outside the game, you could exchange a code and have non-restricted chat with that person. I don't know how that'd be implemented, but just an idea.
i like this idea! i actually didn't know toontown even worked like that.

regardless, i think all curse words and slurs should be blocked no matter what. there is simply no use for them in the game tbh.