obamacare/national healthcare

allison

Are you for or against obamacare, and why?

Bq: why do you think that the government is not releasing the numbers of how many people actually paid? Also how many people are young people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a nice thought in all, to have everyone covered so if something bad happens to them, they don't need to pay much. But my dad could barely afford health insurance, but he was forced to. I'm against it.

allison

It's a nice thought in all, to have everyone covered so if something bad happens to them, they don't need to pay much. But my dad could barely afford health insurance, but he was forced to. I'm against it.

Me too. My uncle got a cancellation notice. I think that is completely unfair. He had a plan that he liked. Didn't obama say if you like your plan, you can keep it?

Klamath

wants to go to france
I think the Affordable Care Act (I don't call it Obamacare) has done okay so far. Although its execution has been rather poor, the intentions of the act is a good step towards improving health quality for many people. My parents got better insurance through Covered California (my state's insurance "marketplace" as introduced by the ACA) and saved a lot of money as well. The only downside was that they had to go through some complicated steps to get a brand new plan (which is also a downside), but they got better benefits and didn't have to pay as much. I totally understand that some people aren't really happy in getting a new plan because they liked their old one.

The biggest thing I don't like about the ACA is the penalty for not having insurance, but everything else seems not that bad (for me).

Me too. My uncle got a cancellation notice. I think that is completely unfair. He had a plan that he liked. Didn't obama say if you like your plan, you can keep it?

You can keep your plan until 2015, which then you must choose a new plan if the plan does not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and is not protected by a grandfathered status.

allison

I think the Affordable Care Act (I don't call it Obamacare) has done okay so far. Although its execution has been rather poor, the intentions of the act is a good step towards improving health quality for many people. My parents got better insurance through Covered California (my state's insurance "marketplace" as introduced by the ACA) and saved a lot of money as well. The only downside was that they had to go through some complicated steps to get a brand new plan (which is also a downside), but they got better benefits and didn't have to pay as much. I totally understand that some people aren't really happy in getting a new plan because they liked their old one.

The biggest thing I don't like about the ACA is the penalty for not having insurance, but everything else seems not that bad (for me).

You can keep your plan until 2015, which then you must choose a new plan if the plan does not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and is not protected by a grandfathered status.

But obama said you can keep your plan if you like it. Period. He didn't say "o u can keep ur plan until 2015 lol sry"

Jerimiah

I'm from Canada and its obvious that our healthcare system is much more efficient and accessible than in America and its good that people are trying to change the system in America but obamacare really isn't the answer. It was all talk and no pay-out. With all the difficulties they had it ended up making it a lot harder for people to get healthcare and it just wasn't what people expected it to be.

Klamath

wants to go to france

But obama said you can keep your plan if you like it. Period. He didn't say "o u can keep ur plan until 2015 lol sry"

Yeah, what he said was a bit overly simplified. The ACA says you can keep your plan if it became effective before March 10, 2010 (the day the ACA was passed). If you got your insurance activated after that date (like for many people), then you will need a new plan before 2015.

Monorail

All politicians "say" a lot of things. We all know from past experience that many times a statement doesn't follow through or is a stretched truth. I feel like a lot of people seem to forget this every time someone new comes into office.

The ACA seems to be helping some, and screwing others over. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

allison

All politicians "say" a lot of things. We all know from past experience that many times a statement doesn't follow through or is a stretched truth. I feel like a lot of people seem to forget this every time someone new comes into office.

The ACA seems to be doing alright. Like what was stated previously, it seems that execution has been a bit shaky. Will be interesting to see where it goes, and what it does for the US as a nation, seeing as socialized (pardon the expression) healthcare has been successful for the most part in other countries.

but why won't the government release the percentages of how many people actually paid and how many young people (the most important to sign up)

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Personally I think it's great that they're finally trying to make leaps in the healthcare system, but forcing citizens to have healthcare or they pay a penalty isn't the way.

My father has federal health insurance so our coverage is pretty good, our co-pays are a lot, lot less than what others pay, and I'm grateful for that. But another issue is that certain health clinics and hospitals aren't accepting certain insurances now because of ObamaCare. We had to jump through hoops just to find out if our insurance isn't going to cover certain procedures that they used to, or at certain health establishments that they used to.

It's important for good coverage to be more affordable for American citizens, but forcing them to choose either ObamaCare or some other insurance company when they can't afford it isn't the way to make things better.

There's also that nasty business of RFID Chips potentially being implanted in people by law from the ObamaCare bill and having our health information, bank account, and personal identifiable information linked to it. This plan just needs to be completely reworked, and to be quite frank I think it was built to fail from the beginning. There are better ways to improve our healthcare system than this.

(http://nationalreport.net/rfid-chip-now-being-issued-in-hanna-wyoming-as-part-of-new-obamacare-plan/)

And what Allison was saying about being able to keep the health plan you like, he talks about it during one of his speeches:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73aU0-zZZg)

Last edited:

Monorail

but why won't the government release the percentages of how many people actually paid and how many young people (the most important to sign up)

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "actually paid" and "how many young people"?

My friend had her monthly payments sky rocket once it went into action. It's not good for those of us who barely scrape by on meager paychecks.

It's a good thing for people with existing medical issues, but the prices just don't seem logical when most people without insurance don't have the money to afford it.

----------

apparently the application process is difficult and some have given up before actually signing up and paying for insurance.
Obamacare was originally geared to get young people to buy health insurance

Monorail

My friend had her monthly payments sky rocket once it went into action. It's not good for those of us who barely scrape by on meager paychecks.

It's a good thing for people with existing medical issues, but the prices just don't seem logical when most people without insurance don't have the money to afford it.

----------

apparently the application process is difficult and some have given up before actually signing up and paying for insurance.

Right but I wanna know about these unreleased numbers.

Last edited:

Whispered

Only if the insurance company still offers it - a very very large number of plans that were cancelled are not being reinstated.

Katharine

I personally do not think that it is the government's duty to make sure that citizens have insurance... most jobs these days include benefits that have insurance and at the end of the day a majority of citizens have insurance plans that they like and are used to. It bothers me that the government has stepped in and forced citizens to change their plans/ use different facilities/doctors. I think that insurance is a very personal thing and that the government has absolutely no business in requiring citizens to purchase a certain plan. In all honesty, this act was built to fail... I don't see it lasting too long.

Whispered

I'm from Canada and its obvious that our healthcare system is much more efficient and accessible than in America and its good that people are trying to change the system in America but obamacare really isn't the answer. It was all talk and no pay-out. With all the difficulties they had it ended up making it a lot harder for people to get healthcare and it just wasn't what people expected it to be.
i mean its not like some towns in canada have doctors with 25k (plus rent) a year salaries and they only take on 4 new patients every 6 months (via a lottery)...

and its not like cancer patients, etc come to the US for medical care and pay for it because it's better and/or faster...

Klamath

wants to go to france

----------

Unreleased numbers? Maybe they're just waiting until the deadline? People are still rushing to get enrolled in the program before the deadline (which is today, at 11:59PM--don't know which time zone).

Last edited:

Whispered

I personally do not think that it is the government's duty to make sure that citizens have insurance... most jobs these days include benefits that have insurance and at the end of the day a majority of citizens have insurance plans that they like and are used to. It bothers me that the government has stepped in and forced citizens to change their plans/ use different facilities/doctors. I think that insurance is a very personal thing and that the government has absolutely no business in requiring citizens to purchase a certain plan. In all honesty, this act was built to fail... I don't see it lasting too long.
i mean it's not really the government's duty to make any decisions for people - being insured is a personal decision, so you're right there.

however it's too late to just repeal it now, you can't give the 6+ million cancellations their policies back just like that -snap-. It's done it's damage irreversibly, and there's not much that can easily be done to undo it.

Whispered

----------

Unreleased numbers? It's kind of hard to know exactly how many people have signed up and paid for an insurance plan from the insurance marketplace until the deadline has passed (which is today). Maybe they're just waiting until the deadline?
No, they've repeatedly stated they aren't going to release exact numbers.

Of the states that have chosen (on their own) to release exact numbers, they're by far less than the number of cancellations in such states. Overall, I'll be surprised if the ACA creates even 1 million "net" insurance policies (new insured - cancelled policies). As of the latest numbers, it's not even breaking even (i.e. more policies have been cancelled than have been created/signed up for).

Monorail

i mean its not like some towns in canada have doctors with 25k (plus rent) a year salaries and they only take on 4 new patients every 6 months (via a lottery)...

and its not like cancer patients, etc come to the US for medical care and pay for it because it's better and/or faster...

Then again it would cost more to get a hip replacement here paying full price than travel to Spain, participate in the Running of the Bull, throw out your hip, get it replaced there, and fly back.