Open Sourcing?

Jasmine

I would love for it to be open sourced. I think we've all pretty much assumed now that it won't be. That was before she started MyVMK.

Its not happening anytime in the future.
That's disappointing
So what's with the change of heart?
I always thought it would be a great way to preserve the game, like Amy had originally said, especially if the game were to ever shut down.
Sort of keep it going forever in the form of replications, you know?

That's disappointing
So what's with the change of heart?
I always thought it would be a great way to preserve the game, like Amy had originally said, especially if the game were to ever shut down.
Sort of keep it going forever in the form of replications, you know?
This is my belief as well.

I'd personally love to experiment with an HTML5 port as my anti-Shockwave sentiment continues to grow with time. (I want my CrunchBang back; this Windows thing isn't working out for me.)

Jasmine

This is my belief as well.

I'd personally love to experiment with an HTML5 port as my anti-Shockwave sentiment continues to grow with time. (I want my CrunchBang back; this Windows thing isn't working out for me.)
Same here. Nick said he had it working in JavaScript, HTML5, and something else...PHP, maybe? Sounds like an interesting task to me.

I really do hope she changes her mind... and maybe she will eventually? Who knows?

Same here. Nick said he had it working in JavaScript, HTML5, and something else...PHP, maybe? Sounds like an interesting task to me.
I think you're right about PHP.

If I were to embark on this journey (assuming I can learn to program well), I'd go with more or less the same HTML5 (with JavaScript) front-end, and either a Python or Node.js back-end, only because I have heard awful things about PHP, and I'd rather code in a language I might want to use again.

I just love HTML5, because Shockwave is crash-happy and despises Linux. (The game itself is stable as anything, but the plugin freezes my computer like you can't believe.)

Jasmine

I think you're right about PHP.

If I were to embark on this journey (assuming I can learn to program well), I'd go with more or less the same HTML5 (with JavaScript) front-end, and either a Python or Node.js back-end, only because I have heard awful things about PHP, and I'd rather code in a language I might want to use again.

I just love HTML5, because Shockwave is crash-happy and despises Linux. (The game itself is stable as anything, but the plugin freezes my computer like you can't believe.)
Hmm...Python? That's an interesting choice! I love HTML as well, and Shockwave also freezes my computer pretty badly at times. Plus, I can't even log in most of the time without getting disconnected.

This discussion is actually making me excited... I don't know why, but it is... Can you imagine being able to play Fireworks on your iPad or another touch screen device? I can imagine it'd be difficult, but it's exciting to even think about :D...

Hmm...Python? That's an interesting choice! I love HTML as well, and Shockwave also freezes my computer pretty badly at times. Plus, I can't even log in most of the time without getting disconnected.

This discussion is actually making me excited... I don't know why, but it is... Can you imagine being able to play Fireworks on your iPad or another touch screen device? I can imagine it'd be difficult, but it's exciting to even think about :D...
I barely know how to program at this point (nor do I think I'll have time in the near future to port VMK), so picking a language for the server end is way premature, but I like what I see in Python. (Mind you, I'm talking about servers as in the kind of server that most Habbo retros code in Visual Basic. Python is surely a better choice for this.) (And if it isn't yet clear, I'm really not the guy for this job, because I'd look at it as little more than a side project and an experiment.)

But yeah, this is an exciting thought. Not overly unrealistic, either; Nick did manage to do a lot of what was necessary. It had most of the needed functionality, as far as I know, even if it was buggy. MyVMK happened, and that looked impossible a year or so ago. It will take time, but it's possible that someone comes around and makes it happen.

MyVMK is an incredible achievement, but I don't think it's the endgame for VMK retros.

Jasmine

I barely know how to program at this point (nor do I think I'll have time in the near future to port VMK), so picking a language for the server end is way premature, but I like what I see in Python. (Mind you, I'm talking about servers as in the kind of server that most Habbo retros code in Visual Basic. Python is surely a better choice for this.) (And if it isn't yet clear, I'm really not the guy for this job, because I'd look at it as little more than a side project and an experiment.)

But yeah, this is an exciting thought. Not overly unrealistic, either; Nick did manage to do a lot of what was necessary. It had most of the needed functionality, as far as I know, even if it was buggy. MyVMK happened, and that looked impossible a year or so ago. It will take time, but it's possible that someone comes around and makes it happen.

MyVMK is an incredible achievement, but I don't think it's the endgame for VMK retros.
I don't think it'll be the last VMK retro either... I really do hope she changes her mind. Somewhere someone mentioned that if she did, VMK retros would become rampant, but I don't think that's true. Not many people enough knowledge of programming to take on a project like that.

John

If it were coded in HTML5 it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Nick abandoned the HTML5 version for this very reason- it was much easier (relatively speaking) completely reverse engineering the original engine than recoding it.

Jasmine

If it were coded in HTML5 it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Nick abandoned the HTML5 version for this very reason- it was much easier (relatively speaking) completely reverse engineering the original engine than recoding it.
Yep, we know that. But re-coding it in HTML5 has more pros compared than reverse engineering it. Shockwave is pretty much considered "dead". It doesn't always work properly on some computers, and it's really not worth the trouble.

Amy

Head Administrator
It will probably happen eventually, but not right now. There are a lot of reasons for this which I'd rather not go into.

Jasmine

It will probably happen eventually, but not right now. There are a lot of reasons for this which I'd rather not go into.
Eventually is good enough for me :D.

Here's one good reason. 1: If Amy open-sources it then everyone and their dog will be able to create their own VMK remake. If/when that happens all that does is opens the door to dividing the community. I'd rather have the majority of people on a server under good management than 20 other private servers run by who knows. Whether they be good or bad developers it doesn't matter, we don't NEED a bunch of other servers going. If that happens what's the point of putting in time and effort on this specific remake, we're all already here, there's no point.

"It's only fair." Everyone can shut their mouth about something being fair. Don't divide the community, Amy is doing a fine job.

The ONLY justifiable reason I see for Amy open-sourcing it is when she moves on from this project. However, that's also contingent upon her deciding to entrust the continuation of this project with another developer. By the time that happens i'm pretty sure she'll have found someone.

@"What if Disney shuts this down, the source code will be lost 5ever." Really, if anyone uses that argument... listen, if Disney wanted to shut this down they would have done it with OVMK. If you (not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, this is just how most people think) really believe that Disney is blind to the fact that over the last several MONTHS two remakes have occurred, you're pretty naive. The fact alone that OVMK is indexed higher than VMK itself SPEAKS for itself. Disney isn't stupid, they're well aware of the fact that this is happening and as long as Amy doesn't attempt to make big buck$ off this we're fine.

The above can apply to even a larger game, RuneScape. Tons and tons of private servers exist and the only ones that have ever been shut down were those that plastered "Donate" all over their site. I play on RSPS's for Castle Wars and they have tons of people on them, the makers accept donations but they never ask for it. Point is, Jagex doesn't give a ******** about all the RSPS's that exist.

Disney doesn't care that oVMK or MyVMK exists. If anything they're pleased to see a successful remake is sustaining itself and pleasing those who play it.

Rynosauric

Mr. Cinderella
I feel as if an open-source of MyVMK would bring a community together; knowing that Amy is the original developer of the reversed-engineered server, the only thing releasing it could possibly do is make a community larger, and in a way... divided. Open-sourcing the server would ensure a long-lasting lifetime of Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom which we've all missed. If, for some reason, MyVMK was indefinitely shut down, where would we go? No where... which is why I believe it's rather important that it is open-sourced.

I feel as if an open-source of MyVMK would bring a community together; knowing that Amy is the original developer of the reversed-engineered server, the only thing releasing it could possibly do is make a community larger, and in a way... divided. Open-sourcing the server would ensure a long-lasting lifetime of Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom which we've all missed. If, for some reason, MyVMK was indefinitely shut down, where would we go? No where... which is why I believe it's rather important that it is open-sourced.
This is basically how I feel.

It would stink to have fragmented servers, but at the same time, I think differentiation would be nice. (Just imagine a freebuild server.) Beyond that, I just like open source in general -- I use GNU/Linux for everything other than MyVMK (because Adobe is evil). Having the server-side code would enable people to step forward and maybe take the first steps towards a fully-realized HTML5 client (which is 100 percent attainable).