Open Sourcing?

Kirllan

Forever Noob!
Here's one good reason. 1: If Amy open-sources it then everyone and their dog will be able to create their own VMK remake. If/when that happens all that does is opens the door to dividing the community. I'd rather have the majority of people on a server under good management than 20 other private servers run by who knows. Whether they be good or bad developers it doesn't matter, we don't NEED a bunch of other servers going. If that happens what's the point of putting in time and effort on this specific remake, we're all already here, there's no point.

"It's only fair." Everyone can shut their mouth about something being fair. Don't divide the community, Amy is doing a fine job.

The ONLY justifiable reason I see for Amy open-sourcing it is when she moves on from this project. However, that's also contingent upon her deciding to entrust the continuation of this project with another developer. By the time that happens i'm pretty sure she'll have found someone.

@"What if Disney shuts this down, the source code will be lost 5ever." Really, if anyone uses that argument... listen, if Disney wanted to shut this down they would have done it with OVMK. If you (not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, this is just how most people think) really believe that Disney is blind to the fact that over the last several MONTHS two remakes have occurred, you're pretty naive. The fact alone that OVMK is indexed higher than VMK itself SPEAKS for itself. Disney isn't stupid, they're well aware of the fact that this is happening and as long as Amy doesn't attempt to make big buck$ off this we're fine.

The above can apply to even a larger game, RuneScape. Tons and tons of private servers exist and the only ones that have ever been shut down were those that plastered "Donate" all over their site. I play on RSPS's for Castle Wars and they have tons of people on them, the makers accept donations but they never ask for it. Point is, Jagex doesn't give a ******** about all the RSPS's that exist.

Disney doesn't care that oVMK or MyVMK exists. If anything they're pleased to see a successful remake is sustaining itself and pleasing those who play it.
Well, I would agree except for the fact that there have been many many attempts at making another VMK of which this has been the most successful yet to date. I personally would make a server of my own and use it as a game server to have it only operate on my home network. I have a brother who is an expert at all of the programming languages so I am sure we will have our own family version of VMK in no time. I would never open this server to the internet thus saving me money and Me and my family would be the only players on it. If others wish to take a shot at making another VMK, then more power to them but I would never play it because I would have my own personal VMK world at home. I am full in favor of open sourcing especially since it has been some years since I had the pleasure of making a game server.

I see players treating the staff like they're gods, maybe that's why they don't want to open source at this time. :skull:

Otherwise there is no sufficient reason not to release the source code (no monetization). If anything, any developer in their right minds will not work off of it as a 'base', but instead extract the files necessary to make the game on a modern and overall better platform than Flash.

That's my take on the scenario. We all have our opinions. Don't come hitting me up throwing a counter to my opinion, it really won't do anything.

Yeah, I honestly think open-sourcing as of now would be a bad idea. Most of the community isn't deserving enough and I feel like they'd abuse it.

Ace_Moon

I really want them to open-source the game just so I can get better at game design. I can kinda reverse-engineer the game and it would be a great learning experience. I also just was a game only I can play so I can give myself everything I always wanted haha

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I think, albeit it's a great idea to opensource, right now there's no need for it. Perhaps in the future it might come about again but for now it doesn't look to be the case, and understandably so, these are Amy's codes from hard work. I think for a while she should get to see her masterpiece brimming with life.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one good reason. 1: If Amy open-sources it then everyone and their dog will be able to create their own VMK remake. If/when that happens all that does is opens the door to dividing the community. I'd rather have the majority of people on a server under good management than 20 other private servers run by who knows. Whether they be good or bad developers it doesn't matter, we don't NEED a bunch of other servers going. If that happens what's the point of putting in time and effort on this specific remake, we're all already here, there's no point.

"It's only fair." Everyone can shut their mouth about something being fair. Don't divide the community, Amy is doing a fine job.

The ONLY justifiable reason I see for Amy open-sourcing it is when she moves on from this project. However, that's also contingent upon her deciding to entrust the continuation of this project with another developer. By the time that happens i'm pretty sure she'll have found someone.

@"What if Disney shuts this down, the source code will be lost 5ever." Really, if anyone uses that argument... listen, if Disney wanted to shut this down they would have done it with OVMK. If you (not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, this is just how most people think) really believe that Disney is blind to the fact that over the last several MONTHS two remakes have occurred, you're pretty naive. The fact alone that OVMK is indexed higher than VMK itself SPEAKS for itself. Disney isn't stupid, they're well aware of the fact that this is happening and as long as Amy doesn't attempt to make big buck$ off this we're fine.

The above can apply to even a larger game, RuneScape. Tons and tons of private servers exist and the only ones that have ever been shut down were those that plastered "Donate" all over their site. I play on RSPS's for Castle Wars and they have tons of people on them, the makers accept donations but they never ask for it. Point is, Jagex doesn't give a ******** about all the RSPS's that exist.

Disney doesn't care that oVMK or MyVMK exists. If anything they're pleased to see a successful remake is sustaining itself and pleasing those who play it.
Well done sir, well done.

Well, I would agree except for the fact that there have been many many attempts at making another VMK of which this has been the most successful yet to date. I personally would make a server of my own and use it as a game server to have it only operate on my home network. I have a brother who is an expert at all of the programming languages so I am sure we will have our own family version of VMK in no time. I would never open this server to the internet thus saving me money and Me and my family would be the only players on it. If others wish to take a shot at making another VMK, then more power to them but I would never play it because I would have my own personal VMK world at home. I am full in favor of open sourcing especially since it has been some years since I had the pleasure of making a game server.
So then that really just falls under the category of "why don't you do it yourself." Or does this also fall under the category of you just want someone to do all the hard work for you and then you and 20 other people run off and create their own servers?

Amy open-sourcing it will do absolutely nothing but divide the community. If you really want your own version that bad, do what Amy and Nick did.

So then that really just falls under the category of "why don't you do it yourself." Or does this also fall under the category of you just want someone to do all the hard work for you and then you and 20 other people run off and create their own servers?
That's the thing with free software.

The collection of software that goes into Debian GNU/Linux would cost somewhere in the realm of $8 billion to develop from scratch. With nothing more than a few gigabytes of bandwidth, I (legally) have that system.

Software developers give away their time and programs because they want to share with people.

That's the thing with free software.

The collection of software that goes into Debian GNU/Linux would cost somewhere in the realm of $8 billion to develop from scratch. With nothing more than a few gigabytes of bandwidth, I (legally) have that system.

Software developers give away their time and programs because they want to share with people.
You're comparing operating systems to a 5 year old video game...

Case and point. We don't need multiple other people running a copy of this game because it will split everyone up. A full blown game isn't any fun when there are multiple copies of it, especially if it occurs at such an early stage when the game is still growing.

To be honest, though, open sourcing it won't spawn too many remakes. It's not like open source = a fully functional game. It'll still take some talented people and some money to keep the game up and running.

To be honest, though, open sourcing it won't spawn too many remakes. It's not like open source = a fully functional game. It'll still take some talented people and some money to keep the game up and running.
Right... open sourcing what Amy has already completed won't open the door to everyone and their dog with a job that can pay for a server. Not like there's a shortage of people in 2013 that wouldn't know what they're doing.

That makes total sense?

Right... open sourcing what Amy has already completed won't open the door to everyone and their dog with a job that can pay for a server. Not like there's a shortage of people in 2013 that wouldn't know what they're doing.

That makes total sense?
Hey now...I was just stating an opinion, that's all. :D.

And, I'm not denying there are people who could pull off making their own version of the game (if it was open sourced), but, it's not like the game would just magically run itself. Problems arise constantly on games like these as they are unstable, so whoever were to recreate the game off of myVMK's open source would have to have a pretty talented developer to keep the game going. I only stated this because it seems as if people kept thinking every single person in the world would be recreating the game if it was open sourced.

And, I'm not denying there are people who could pull off making their own version of the game (if it was open sourced), but, it's not like the game would just magically run itself. Problems arise constantly on games like these as they are unstable, so whoever were to recreate the game off of myVMK's open source would have to have a pretty talented developer to keep the game going. I only stated this because it seems as if people kept thinking every single person in the world would be recreating the game if it was open sourced.
This.

Plenty of games manage to function with multiple open servers. Granted, there might be a larger following for Habbo or Runescape, which certainly means more people on servers, but it also means more servers. 250,000 people will create more servers than 1,000 people would.

I vote for open-source only because I think it would accelerate the development pace of an HTML5 remake by making the files available. This is one part of the reason why the Habbo community has already made progress on such a retro.

This.

Plenty of games manage to function with multiple open servers. Granted, there might be a larger following for Habbo or Runescape, which certainly means more people on servers, but it also means more servers. 250,000 people will create more servers than 1,000 people would.

I vote for open-source only because I think it would accelerate the development pace of an HTML5 remake by making the files available. This is one part of the reason why the Habbo community has already made progress on such a retro.
Who doesn't want the development to accelerate, but open-sourcing it won't do MVMK itself any good since your hypothetical scenario is contingent upon many others cooperating with Amy. The fact alone that it would indeed divide the community is why i'm against it. You and the Habbo community have had five years to do something. If you really were as concerned about VMK you would have been doing the same as she and Nick have since then, ah, but you haven't.

And you can't really compare RS + RSPS with VMK. RS has been around since '01 and the player base is massive compared to MVMK. RSPS don't affect the main game. Even though this is a remake of VMK, it's the only successful/standing remake; multiple others would affect MVMK and we don't need that ******** interfering.

Who doesn't want the development to accelerate, but open-sourcing it won't do MVMK itself any good since your hypothetical scenario is contingent upon many others cooperating with Amy. The fact alone that it would indeed divide the community is why i'm against it. You and the Habbo community have had five years to do something. If you really were as concerned about VMK you would have been doing the same as she and Nick have since then, ah, but you haven't.
Most people couldn't act on account of not having the necessarily files to move along. Given the .cct files, there's a good chance that people would start moving. Without them, life is difficult.

And I'm not part of the Habbo community. I just know where they are from a technological standpoint.

And you can't really compare RS + RSPS with VMK. RS has been around since '01 and the player base is massive compared to MVMK. RSPS don't affect the main game. Even though this is a remake of VMK, it's the only successful/standing remake; multiple others would affect MVMK and we don't need that ******** interfering.
The number of servers is an economic equilibrium based on supply and demand. VMK retros have much smaller demand than RSPS, but also have a much smaller supply. If the VMK retro market were to get flooded in the days after open-sourcing begins, the vast majority of those servers would fail, and a more desirable number would be reached.

Most people couldn't act on account of not having the necessarily files to move along. Given the .cct files, there's a good chance that people would start moving. Without them, life is difficult.

And I'm not part of the Habbo community. I just know where they are from a technological standpoint.
There's a good chance Nick didn't pull them out of thin air either.

The number of servers is an economic equilibrium based on supply and demand.
The way you applied 'economic equilibrium' makes this sentence make absolutely no sense. See next.

VMK retros have much smaller demand than RSPS, but also have a much smaller supply. If the VMK retro market were to get flooded in the days after open-sourcing begins, the vast majority of those servers would fail, and a more desirable number would be reached.
How do you gauge the economic equilibrium when before OVMK there were zero VMK replicas/remakes(successful)- you can't graph that and say the supply and demand for VMK servers is at equilibrium.

You can't use a hypothetical scenario such as "most would fail" or "a desirable number would be reached." The whole point of being against multiple remakes is keeping the community together. Who cares if they're "successful" or whether or not development would be sped up, that opens the door to dividing the community throughout other remakes. Some would find multiple remakes a good thing, when really, what makes a game FUN is the community- a community that is growing in one location, MVMK, and not in multiple other potential remakes of the SAME exact game.. A game where there are multiple replicas thins out the active player base, no game is fun with a smaller number of players.

The reason there hasn't been a remake until now is because there were no resources programmers could use. I could bet that if all the pictures and sounds were readily available there would be at least 5 versions of VMK.

I have started work on a reproduction using JavaScript and all I'm needing is more resources. I have a couple but no where near the usable amount to make a good looking remake. There are bonuses to not using a movie maker to make an online game.

There's a good chance Nick didn't pull them out of thin air either.
Nothing I can do about that. I actively clear caches because Windows is trash otherwise.

The way you applied 'economic equilibrium' makes this sentence make absolutely no sense. See next.
How do you gauge the economic equilibrium when before OVMK there were zero VMK replicas/remakes(successful)- you can't graph that and say the supply and demand for VMK servers is at equilibrium.

You can't use a hypothetical scenario such as "most would fail" or "a desirable number would be reached." The whole point of being against multiple remakes is keeping the community together. Who cares if they're "successful" or whether or not development would be sped up, that opens the door to dividing the community throughout other remakes. Some would find multiple remakes a good thing, when really, what makes a game FUN is the community- a community that is growing in one location, MVMK, and not in multiple other potential remakes of the SAME exact game.. A game where there are multiple replicas thins out the active player base, no game is fun with a smaller number of players.
Things take time -- sometimes, a really long time. Supply at the time was impossibly low, because resources weren't where they needed to be.

As for thinning the player base, this is the exact thing that I'm talking about. If a metric ton of remakes open, almost all of them would have few players. They would shut down. As a result, we wind up with only a handful of remakes. There's a chance that they each carve out their own unique niche (economy, freebuild, whatever). Because VMK is so community-centered, the number of active remakes should stay low, because that's the only way they can survive.

Wait so you're saying that there should be no other remakes because we have myVMK and you don't want the community to allegedly "split up"? I don't quite agree and I don't exactly consider that to be a valid point for the game not to be open sourced.

Wait so you're saying that there should be no other remakes because we have myVMK and you don't want the community to allegedly "split up"? I don't quite agree and I don't exactly consider that to be a valid point for the game not to be open sourced.
I'd disagree that it isn't a valid point. It should certainly be considered, but I think after all is said and done, the issue would solve itself in the long run. The long term loss should be minimal, and the long term gains would be huge.

Maybe instead of open sourcing what Amy has completed, Amy should make the complete files accessible (in terms of avatars, clothing, rooms, etc.). That way, the game is really only doable if the proper programmers are assembled. Just a thought o: