Please report all spam posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

Tigeraceray said:
The google bots are Google's Web Crawlers. They aren't making spam accounts, they simply index your web site so that when you search for something on google/yahoo etc you can find that most up to date information.

And forum filtering not working? You do get what you pay for. vBulletin has none of these problems and it's very affordable and cheaper than Xenforo. How many times do people have to say that?
No one is discrediting vBulletin and just saying it's a terrible idea... The staff are looking into other forum possibilites right now, as Kevin stated above.

It is affordable and we have proven that many times. A new license is more than Xenforo but that is for vBulletin 5, which no one with any forum experience is using because it plain sucks. vBulletin 4.X is the one that everyone has moved to or is planning to move to because it has great support, few bugs, and it's easy to work with. A vBuletin 4 license can be bought used for about $90 which includes the full suite of addons that Jelsoft sold with vB4 (blogs, mobile, and CMS).

Here let's compare the costs of vB4 (used because you can't buy a new one) , vB5 (new) and Xenforo (new):

vB4: $90
vB5: $250
Xenforo: $140

Which would you chose? More money on vB5 for something that is a poor product, or $90 bucks on a proven and easy to work with software in vB4? Or pay $140 for something that no one likes and lacks basic forum features like multi-quoting and that is built to be more of a social network than a forum?

Answer is easy. vB4 at $90.

To Fiyero: I just got home from my classes and I was told they weren't considering vB anymore because they said it was too expensive which as my example shows, it is for a new license. A used is very affordable and cheaper than the forum they want to move to.

Jasmine

Tigeraceray said:
The google bots are Google's Web Crawlers. They aren't making spam accounts, they simply index your web site so that when you search for something on google/yahoo etc you can find that most up to date information.

And forum filtering not working? You do get what you pay for. vBulletin has none of these problems and it's very affordable and cheaper than Xenforo. How many times do people have to say that?
I'm not sure...*rolls eyes*

Oswald said:
Well, I don't think they are the richest people in the world that can just dish out money when they want. They're working with what they got, and we should all appreciate that they're even doing this. vBulletin is a LOT of money, it's not "affordable" lol
It's very affordable if you know what you're doing. It's not "a lot" of money...quality over quantity, people. I'd pay $250 over $140 any day, as long as I know my product works the way it I've seen some of the spam, but only one person can report a post...lol

@Fiyero, the point of the post is, you can't complain -- yeah, you get what you pay for. I've contacted Amy twice about getting a used vB license and even sent her the person's contact information. I also talked about finding her a used XF license, since she said she was interested in running XF. Honestly, it doesn't take that long to decide on a software. I don't think the forum should've been up until the software was bought.

@Kevin: I've seen some of the spam, but only one person can report a post...lol
P.S: All spammers aren't bots... many of them are actually human ;)

Oswald

Well they might not have that money at the moment. Remember, she's paying for this on her own. We have no room to talk, because we're not paying for it. In the end, they're going to choose which forum they want, and we'll just form into it. I don't see the big deal about changing forums, this is a good forum to start out with, including they're more focused on the game right now.

Btw, if it's already reported, you can always PM a staff online. Or, just wait, because it's already reported, so they've gotten it.

booglie

I think I'd prefer any money that is going into MMK to be put towards the game servers, I'd rather have a smooth game and deal with a few bots than to have no bots and always getting DC or lag on the game

Oswald

booglie said:
I think I'd prefer any money that is going into MMK to be put towards the game servers, I'd rather have a smooth game and deal with a few bots than to have no bots and always getting DC or lag on the game
I agree

Fiyero

Jess said:
@Fiyero, the point of the post is, you can't complain -- yeah, you get what you pay for. I've contacted Amy twice about getting a used vB license and even sent her the person's contact information. I also talked about finding her a used XF license, since she said she was interested in running XF. Honestly, it doesn't take that long to decide on a software. I don't think the forum should've been up until the software was bought.
To be honest, many of us don't give a flying flip about the type of forum software we have right now and changing it this very second. I'm personally just glad that Amy got up a place to discuss the new project she had because otherwise, I would still probably be in the dark on this project an what happened with oVMK.

Yes, I would like better forum software at some point, but for right now, I'm not too concerned. Just let me discuss the game.

Actually I'm pretty sure she can afford $90 to spend on the game's online presence. Your web presence is everything these days. And a few of us have offered to help her get the license at a cheaper price by pitching in some money. Give her a certain percentage of the cost, and then she covers the rest and owns the license and we'd be done with it.

As for this being a "fine" forum to start with, a dry erase board would be a better starting forum with everyone passing their replies around. You can't multi-quote effectively, theres no user filtering, bbcode doesn't work for everything. PHP BB is a nightmare to deal with. Along with any other free or basically rock bottom price forum softwares. This is why you need a quality software but at an affordable price. And we have found that in a license of vB 4 that someone is selling for $90.

Let's just sum this up, do any of you all have prior extensive experience in managing and running forums? If you don't then you don't know as much as you think you do. I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth.

Jasmine

Oswald said:
Well they might not have that money at the moment. Remember, she's paying for this on her own. We have no room to talk, because we're not paying for it. In the end, they're going to choose which forum they want, and we'll just form into it. I don't see the big deal about changing forums, this is a good forum to start out with, including they're more focused on the game right now.

Btw, if it's already reported, you can always PM a staff online. Or, just wait, because it's already reported, so they've gotten it.
No one was online, and why would you PM a staff member? That's always annoying, that's what the report button is for.

I'm done with the whole vBulletin thing anyway. I just keep seeing posts about how they're unhappy with PHPBB and want to change, but I've reached out many times, and so has Tiger, so why complain? That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to go with vBulletin, fine, but just say so. I wouldn't be contacting people about used XF and VB licenses if someone would just update me. That's not too much to ask for.

By the way, a forum license is a one-time cost. If you can't afford that, how are you supposed to afford a game? I think the issue is that they're still deciding...

And yes, I agree that money should go to the game, but some of you don't realize that forum software will decide just how popular this game is. If they go with something like XF, which most people haven't used, let alone heard of, or stick with PHPBB or another free forum software, I doubt too many people will play. Everyone left VMKMagic as soon as they abandoned vBulletin. We're simply trying to help them make the game popular.

@Fiyero: That's not true. You must not be reading people's posts... I keep seeing people complaining about it... Yet again, you guys may not realize it, but forum software is important. People aren't used to PHPBB, so they won't join. We know what we're talking about when it comes to forums, okay? I don't care if people believe what we're saying, I just want an update.

Oswald

Tigeraceray said:
Actually I'm pretty sure she can afford $90 to spend on the game's online presence. Your web presence is everything these days. And a few of us have offered to help her get the license at a cheaper price by pitching in some money. Give her a certain percentage of the cost, and then she covers the rest and owns the license and we'd be done with it.

As for this being a "fine" forum to start with, a dry erase board would be a better starting forum with everyone passing their replies around. You can't multi-quote effectively, theres no user filtering, bbcode doesn't work for everything. PHP BB is a nightmare to deal with. Along with any other free or basically rock bottom price forum softwares. This is why you need a quality software but at an affordable price. And we have found that in a license of vB 4 that someone is selling for $90.

Let's just sum this up, do any of you all have prior extensive experience in managing and running forums? If you don't then you don't know as much as you think you do. I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth.
Maybe she's just showing manners to say no to letting people give her money. I know I wouldn't want people giving me money. and it is a FINE forum to start out with. its STARTING out. It's not going to be like this forever. Just be patient, and deal with what you got. Beggers can't be Choosers.

and Yes, i have manage a forum, and even if people don't, you have NO right to tell them they don't know anything about it, because 1) You don't know what knowledge that have of forums and 2) that's pretty much saying that the opinions we have are wrong because it's not the exact forum you want. The forum isn't even IMPORTANT right now, the game is. Let's just focus about the game. At least we HAVE a forum.

and no one was online when I sent a report and i sent the link to Kevin. Kevin gets on multiple times. Just be patient. I think we're all grown up enough to not be stupid and click links that we're suspicious of.

Also, I love how your just all Might Power of forum knowledge...

EDIT:
In the end, it's not our decision. Be thankful for what you have, and don't be greedy. I'm sure she'll change it in time. Be Patient.

And, please, don't think I'm going against your opinion. I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from, and I'd love to have vB, but honestly, I just want the game up and going right now. I know the forum can make the game popular, but I'm more worried about the game, then i'll worry about the forum.

booglie said:
Most of my funding is actually being placed on servers. :)

Please know, we have it under control. and we will be switching software soon.

Also please keep this discussion a bit civil, i dont want to have to take any action...

Fiyero

Jess said:
@Fiyero: That's not true. You must not be reading people's posts... I keep seeing people complaining about it... Yet again, you guys may not realize it, but forum software is important. People aren't used to PHPBB, so they won't join. We know what we're talking about when it comes to forums, okay? I don't care if people believe what we're saying, I just want an update.
I have read a few posts show distaste toward the topic, but I know many of them would rather have some kind of forum than none at all. As Oswald said, I would love to have a better forum too. I am all for a paid forum software if that is what the moderating team is looking for, which I believe is, as they have stated multiple times they are looking into new solutions.

I promise you, however, that no one is seeing the forum and is like "Oh no phpBB! I can't handle this software, I refuse to sign up!!" People are glad to have a way to get updates and discuss, which you can see through the 629 members and counting we currently have.

And about your comment that you know what you're talking about. I know what I'm talking about to. I've Administrated and Moderated on forums before, as well as run my own forums for a Minecraft server I worked on, which had about 300 members at it's peak. Trust me, I realize forum software and our online presence is very important, especially as we look to attract newer players to the site. However, as Oswald and others have stated time and time again, the game is what people want right now more than anything.

But like Kevin said, they're switching forum software soon, so there's not much to worry about :)

KMystikroots

A demon who vaguely sauntered downwards
this is just getting immature of ovmk

Already reported quite a few. :3 Will keep an extra eye out. (:

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.