Privacy?

Not sure if this was posted somewhere... is it possible to only have Member List, Profiles, chat box, and certain forums, available only to those who are logged in? Whatcha think?

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Pretty sure you have to be logged in to view profiles. I know I can look at forums without logging in as I've done it on my phone. Not sure about Members list...

I do agree thought that certain things should require you to log-in to see.

I think Once a bridge blocker, always a bridge blocker! lol *back OT*
Yes, that would be nice.
You betcha!!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure you have to be logged in to view profiles. I know I can look at forums without logging in as I've done it on my phone. Not sure about Members list...

I do agree thought that certain things should require you to log-in to see.

I viewed the forum in another browser where I was not logged in, and I was able to view everything mentioned above. :/

Jasmine

Yep, they're called access masks (and usergroup permissions).

I don't really care though. I don't mind guests being able to see my profile. I don't believe it's possible to hide the memberlist from guests... I've never tried. It might be. That's not smart, though. What if they're looking for a specific person from the game or from VMK? I know I've joined forums and gone back years later but I can't remember my username. I use the memberlist to find it.

I don't really think forums should be hidden either. Maybe 1 or 2, and only the ones related to the game. Hiding forums is a great way to scare off members.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Yeah theres nothing i hate more than being forced to make an account to a site i don't want to join just to see one simple piece of information i googled. Not talking about this site though.

Jasmine

You can set certain profile privacy settings, but that's it. People would still technically be able to see your profile unless their usergroup permissions don't allow it. When the usergroup doesn't have permission, the guest will receive a message telling them to log in.

tiggerholic

Not sure if this was posted somewhere... is it possible to only have Member List, Profiles, and certain forums, available only to those who are logged in? Whatcha think?
I like your idea Daze ;) Not entirely sure I'm thrilled about "guests" being able to access member information :thumbsdown:

Yep, they're called access masks (and usergroup permissions).

I don't really care though. I don't mind guests being able to see my profile. I don't believe it's possible to hide the memberlist from guests... I've never tried. It might be. That's not smart, though. What if they're looking for a specific person from the game or from VMK? I know I've joined forums and gone back years later but I can't remember my username. I use the memberlist to find it.

I don't really think forums should be hidden either. Maybe 1 or 2, and only the ones related to the game. Hiding forums is a great way to scare off members.
Some of the most popular forums I've seen, have a private section for members only. :) I'm not saying to hide everything. For example, Member List OK, but profiles you'd have to login for. And I don't know if this is how it should be -- just wanted to get other opinions. :)

You can set that individually in your settings, Days. :)
I looked in settings but didn't see anything. Care to share? :)

NVM -- found it! TY

Jasmine

Some of the most popular forums I've seen, have a private section for members only. :) I'm not saying to hide everything. For example, Member List OK, but profiles you'd have to login for. And I don't know if this is how it should be -- just wanted to get other opinions. :)

I get what you're saying. I'm just saying hiding forums in general isn't good unless it's absolutely necessary. I agree that any forum containing personal information (such as photos) should be hidden from guests' view.

I get what you're saying. I'm just saying hiding forums in general isn't good unless it's absolutely necessary. I agree that any forum containing personal information (such as photos) should be hidden from guests' view.
So I changed my profile settings to mostly only registered members allowed to view, and anyone who is not logged in could still see my profile, but just stats -- the About Me personal section was hidden, but you could still see any webpage that you included and all your activity (which I think should just be for registered members... JMO). I don't have any photos uploaded, so this section was blank for me. I guess as long as I could hide somethings...

Not sure if this was posted somewhere... is it possible to only have Member List, Profiles, and certain forums, available only to those who are logged in? Whatcha think?
In 'Settings', you will see 'My Profile' on the left and under it is 'Profile Privacy'.
You can manually choose who sees what on your profile :)

Hope that helps!

In 'Settings', you will see 'My Profile' on the left and under it is 'Profile Privacy'.
You can manually choose who sees what on your profile :)

Hope that helps!
Thanks! I had already found my profile settings. What isn't hidden when I choose to hide stuff, are any homepage (in the sidebar) and all of my forum activity. So I removed my homepage from the sidebar and included it in the 'About Me' section (which can be made private), but I do honestly think it would be a good idea to hide your activity from ppl if you choose. I wonder if this gets hidden if I go invisible... and if it does, I would hate to have to always be invisible... I guess I can try it and see.

Update: Nope, invisible does not hide anything.