Suggestions About Making Threads Private

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

We have received many suggestions on making your threads private so only certain members can see it, or ways to prevent certain members from being able to see/participate in your thread.

Currently, there is no modification/add-on that is supported by this version of vBulletin to allow for private threads.

We understand how irritating it can be to have your thread closed because it has 'gotten out of hand' and become inappropriate; oftentimes due to one inappropriate remark.

We want to tackle this issue so that threads can remain open for discussions and not for argument sake.

Therefore we have decided to try the following;
If someone in particular has posted something that is inappropriate/is out of order/has the potential to fuel an argument in your own thread, then the Original Poster [OP] can PM any member of staff on the forums OR report the post in question explaining the issue to have the post in question completely deleted from their thread (as well as any posts that quote the said post).

Only the OP can request a post be deleted completely in their thread. If nothing is requested and a thread does become malicious or out of hand, we will close it as we have done previously.

Remember that you do not have to respond to any inappropriate comments; this will only fuel the argument.

Finally, please continue to report any comments/behaviour that may be deemed inappropriate/against the forum rules and they will be taken care of.

Thank you,
MyVMK Staff :)

Jasmine

Why not just use the report button?
Gonna have to agree with this.
~~

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. So if the OP finds the post rude, it's going to be deleted? Everyone gets offended by different things... words like "rude" and "inappropriate" are subjective. All I can see this doing is making people stop posting.

Basically, it sounds like the post would be deleted simply if the OP is offended. Surely other people's opinions would be factored in as well, though? Like if only the OP reports the post, then I'd say there's no reason for it to be deleted.

Or the OP can just ignore them and not throw a hissy fit and try to delete comments that disagree with you/you don't like what it has to say.

If it's really argument-worthy, then it can be reported. Otherwise, I just see this as an excuse for users to annoy one another by randomly shutting them out of their threads because they don't like them.

Or the OP can just ignore them and not throw a hissy fit and try to delete comments that disagree with you/you don't like what it has to say.

If it's really argument-worthy, then it can be reported. Otherwise, I just see this as an excuse for users to annoy one another by randomly shutting them out of their threads because they don't like them.
:thumbsup:

kalyee

For real. I don't know many forums/forum-type sites that let OPs request single responses to be deleted simply over their inability to handle a differing opinion/view. Isn't it the mods "job" to go through posts and take care of the ones that are inappropriate/against the rules? And now, with the implementation of a "no backseat modding" rule, doesn't this go against that completely? By letting an OP decide who is and who isn't posting up to their standards within their thread? This is a really silly thing to implement, honestly...

Ok this needs to be clarified.

When an OP reports something inappropriate/out of order/that has the potential to start an argument in their thread, a staff member will look at the report and the post in question. If it is not actually offensive on a general basis and the OP may just not like/agree with what the person has said, or may have a personal issue with the other member, then we will not delete the post.

This is the same for general reports we receive; we look at all reports, but sometimes there is the odd one that does not contravene the rules.

We may miss certain posts on the forums. This new option will allow us to prevent the potential argument before it even happens, rather than just shutting down a complete thread (as we have previously done).

Ok this needs to be clarified.

When an OP reports something inappropriate/out of order/that has the potential to start an argument in their thread, a staff member will look at the report and the post in question. If it is not actually offensive on a general basis and the OP may just not like/agree with what the person has said, or may have a personal issue with the other member, then we will not delete the post.

This is the same for general reports we receive; we look at all reports, but sometimes there is the odd one that does not contravene the rules.

We may miss certain posts on the forums. This new option will allow us to prevent the potential argument before it even happens, rather than just shutting down a complete thread (as we have previously done).
And I'm assuming posts that fit in well with the 'spam' category may or may not get deleted by request as well?
Those have a habit of starting arguments too.
People look for fights, and yea..

And I'm assuming posts that fit in well with the 'spam' category may or may not get deleted by request as well?
Those have a habit of starting arguments too.
People look for fights, and yea..
Any spam will be deleted when reported, as with any spammy post :)

Spamming
"Spam" refers to posting identical and/or irrelevant messages to one thread or many different threads that has nothing to do with the intended subject that disrupts a thread or fills the message board with clutter. Mass PMing people you don't know or who haven't invited you to PM them, boosting post count, excessive bumping of threads, one or two letter replies (i.e. ok, LOL, Yes, agreed, nods) and the excessive use of smileys as a response are all considered "spam".
Also, double posting (posting one post right after another) is considered spam and will be merged/removed.

WHO

But why do we have to PM you? Why can't we use the report button? The last time I took a mod to reply it took them 5+ hours to reply.

ICON, as I said in the original post of this thread you can choose to PM us OR use the report button to explain why you would like it deleted.

It is very like reporting any post on the forums, however it comes down to one's own personal threads and preventing problems in them.

Mods have always responded to me immediately.

Anyway, this is good. Makes me happy!

i dont understand why its a bad idea to have some hidden threads. I wouldnt be offended if you kicked me from your thread.

Whispered

This thread went from "new rule to allow OP to censor opinions from their own thread" to members disagreeing, and now backpedaling from the staff..

Really goes to show you how hastily new rules are implemented, it appears without thinking about them.

I'd like some further clarification on how a rule specifying an OP can request a post be deleted is any more necessary than just saying "all members can report posts". Will the OPs opinion about "their" thread be taken into account when a borderline deletable post arises? As in, if the OP reports it, will their report be given more weight/be the straw that broke the camel's back?

Furthermore, the staff seems to consider all arguments bad. (since they apparently need a dictionary lesson): a discussion involving differing points of view

As with the definition provided, this means we are no longer allowed to have differing points of view, or our post may get deleted as "potential arguement".

There really needs to be some serious thought from the administrative team (Amy and Grizzly) about how they are telling their moderators/administrator to operate the site - if the instructions to do these things are, in fact, coming from the higher-ups. If the instructions aren't... (interpret that how you may).

This thread went from "new rule to allow OP to censor opinions from their own thread" to members disagreeing, and now backpedaling from the staff..

Really goes to show you how hastily new rules are implemented, it appears without thinking about them.

I'd like some further clarification on how a rule specifying an OP can request a post be deleted is any more necessary than just saying "all members can report posts". Will the OPs opinion about "their" thread be taken into account when a borderline deletable post arises? As in, if the OP reports it, will their report be given more weight/be the straw that broke the camel's back?

Furthermore, the staff seems to consider all arguments bad. (since they apparently need a dictionary lesson): a discussion involving differing points of view

As with the definition provided, this means we are no longer allowed to have differing points of view, or our post may get deleted as "potential arguement".

There really needs to be some serious thought from the administrative team (Amy and Grizzly) about how they are telling their moderators/administrator to operate the site - if the instructions to do these things are, in fact, coming from the higher-ups. If the instructions aren't... (interpret that how you may).

No, Whispered it's not because we're not ALLOWED to argue on the forums.
It's just that PEOPLE on these forums cannot HANDLE arguments on the forums. Time and time again the mods have allowed arguments to go on, only for the arguments to get out of hand and escalate to personal insults.
People apparently aren't mature enough.

Whispered

No, Whispered it's not because we're not ALLOWED to argue on the forums.
It's just that PEOPLE on these forums cannot HANDLE arguments on the forums. Time and time again the mods have allowed arguments to go on, only for the arguments to get out of hand and escalate to personal insults.
People apparently aren't mature enough.
Clearly you didn't read the definition of argue, which gives the staff overreaching power to censor something they don't like.

The moderators should, if they can do their job as a moderator, be able to moderate discussions. From the dictionary: moderate = kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits.

As such, the moderator should not censor discussion, nor shut down discussion, but should keep it within reasonable limits. If the moderator is unable to do this, then do they really have the qualifications to be a moderator? It's certainly possible to let discussion go on, no matter what topic (excluding highly controversial ones such as abortion and the likes), and keep it within a civil, respectful manner. Yet, one of the staff here (and potentially the others) seem to think the only way to calm a discussion is by shutting it down when it gets nasty towards them. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.