The Blackfish Debate

Do You Support Blackfish OR SeaWorld?

• Total voters

VampireBoy

There has been a lot of talk for a while now about Blackfish and how it claims SeaWorld is basically torturing their killer whales and I would honestly like to say that they are not because honestly those killer whales are treated very good. Yes captivity honestly for any animal is not an easy process and yes it will never be able to compare 100% to their actual environment but the sad truth about it is that the environment these animals are currently living in is being destroyed by humans. Animals including killer whales are dieing because humans are killing them through pollution of the ocean and also through killing them on purpose because sadly that is how things are today. Now when SeaWorld takes these killer whales end they are taking them into a safe place for them to be happy and enjoy life without all the harmful things that go on in their oceans that is caused by humans. It is proven that killer whales can actually live just as long if not longer in captivity just like they do out in their natural habitat known as the ocean and SeaWorld does everything they can to provide a safe loving home for these animals. SeaWorld doesn't just do this though they also provide great education about killer whales to help us be able to understand them better and at the same time they provide excellent fun entertainment with the whales. SeaWorld has been warming and exciting the hearts of children and families for many years now so I honestly wish Blackfish would leave them alone but this is just my opinion and what I believe in so I want you to feel free to share your own opinion on this and who you support and why you support them.
VS

Last edited:

VampireBoy

you created this thread before and it got closed due to arguments, seaworld shouldnt hold whales in captivity and keep them trapped in whats pretty much a bathtub to a whale. that commercial is such lies i laugh when it comes on tv i do not support that theme park in anyway and they need to free tilly that is all
I know but still I just wonder sometimes what is worse being in captivity or being in the ocean that humans are constantly polluting and killing these animals in.

Exist

based goddess
Interesting post, I rarely see anyone defending SeaWorld since Blackfish blew up. Personally, I support SeaWorld. Forget the theme park and strip the attractions and shows away. SeaWorld has some of the most incredible ocean life preservation and conservation programs in the world. The things they do behind the scenes like animal rehabilitation is something they should be getting credit for. They really do some incredible stuff.

As far as holding a large animal like a killer whale in a small tank, I don't agree with it. Similar to how I don't agree with zoos.

Blackfish as a documentary disappointed me, especially as a filmmaker myself. I really wish it hadn't bashed on SeaWorld so much. A good documentary would have presented both sides, but it was really just an hour and a half SeaWorld hate fest. Poor documentary filmmaking in my opinion.

Has SeaWorld made mistakes? Definitely. Should they keep healthy killer whales in small tanks? Probably not. Did they lose my support? No. I hope they continue to receive funding so they can keep their conservation and rehabilitation centers going, because those are things that they are doing to make a positive difference in the marine world.

britboy

Interesting post, I rarely see anyone defending SeaWorld since Blackfish blew up. Personally, I support SeaWorld. Forget the theme park and strip the attractions and shows away. SeaWorld has some of the most incredible ocean life preservation and conservation programs in the world. The things they do behind the scenes like animal rehabilitation is something they should be getting credit for. They really do some incredible stuff.

As far as holding a large animal like a killer whale in a small tank, I don't agree with it. Similar to how I don't agree with zoos.

Blackfish as a documentary disappointed me, especially as a filmmaker myself. I really wish it hadn't bashed on SeaWorld so much. A good documentary would have presented both sides, but it was really just an hour and a half SeaWorld hate fest. Poor documentary filmmaking in my opinion.

Has SeaWorld made mistakes? Definitely. Should they keep healthy killer whales in small tanks? Probably not. Did they lose my support? No. I hope they continue to receive funding so they can keep their conservation and rehabilitation centers going, because those are things that they are doing to make a positive difference in the marine world.
I agree, the best documentaries portray both sides of the argument and let you decide for yourself. I don't trust anything that tries to force a viewpoint onto people through their biases. I agree with the rest of your post as well :)

Whispered

I think you all need to step back from the propaganda and look at the fact that there is over a 95% chance that these orcas would be dead if they were released, in the wild, or born wild.

Sea World does a great service for animals. In all reality, only a small part of their business is the theme parks. The majority of their business (not profit, but business) ventures involve rescue and rehabilitation, as well as conservation and continument of endangered species.

Instead of watching Blackfish, I'd suggest you read actual expert opinions on Sea World and similar parks. Don't listen to those who are clearly biased - it'd be like your doctor getting paid $10,000 for each prescription he writes for a certain brand name, and then writing you that prescription even though you don't have the disease. Would you listen to him? No. He's obviously biased. The same with the experts Blackfish and similar propaganda use to try and convince people Sea World is bad.

Cat

I don't believe in animals in captivity, period.
I HATE going to zoos. They honestly make me so depressed. If you actually want to experience animals and wildlife, take a trip and go on a safari. I've had the fortunate opportunity to go on many safaris while staying in South Africa. When you stay in a huge wildlife park, at the end of the day, you're the one sleeping in a closed off section (AS IT SHOULD BE, YOU'RE A GUEST IN THEIR ENVIRONMENT). And even then, it's not completely closed off idk we woke up to like giraffes and monkeys outside so. But yeah. Zoos suck unless they're helping to save endangered animals or rehabilitating animals. Even then, if you really care about animals, go show your support at a rehabilitory center; donate money instead of paying to get into a zoo. Most rehability centers are stocked with volunteers or people who do it for little to no pay, the money goes directly to the animal.
I just hate making a sport/pass time out of observing animals in cages. They're meant to be free. And imo, training them to do tricks for our amusement and entertainment is just sick.
If you truly wanted your kids to learn about animals and the earth, taking them to watch whales and dolphins swim around in a small cage/water grave and do tricks is not the way. It's not natural.

Humans suck.

Last edited:
K

kittenmittens

I don't believe in animals in captivity period.
I HATE going to zoos. They honestly make me so depressed. If you actually want to experience animals and wildlife, take a trip and go on a safari. I've had the fortunate opportunity to go on many safaris while staying in South Africa. When you stay in a huge wildlife park, at the end of the day, you're the one sleeping in a closed off section (AS IT SHOULD BE, YOU'RE A GUEST IN THEIR ENVIRONMENT). And even then, it's not completely closed off idk we woke up to like giraffes and monkeys outside so. But yeah. Zoos suck unless they're helping to save endangered animals or rehabilitating animals. Even then, if you really care about animals, go show your support at a rehabilitory center; donate money instead of paying to get into a zoo. Most rehability centers are stocked with volunteers or people who do it for little to no pay, the money goes directly to the animal.
I just hate making a sport/pass time out of observing animals in cages. They're meant to be free. And imo, training them to do tricks for our amusement and entertainment is just sick.
If you truly wanted your kids to learn about animals and the earth, taking them to watch whales and dolphins swim around in a small cage/water grave and do tricks is not the way. It's not natural.

Humans suck.
This.

Orcas, regardless of gender, swim an average of about 100 miles a day- more for females when it's time for them to have babies.

In order for an orca at seaworld to get its daily exercise, it would need to swim around the tank, touching the edge, over 1,200 times. That's basically swimming in circles all day, without sleeping, a lap per minute.

I've taken enough classes in Marine Biology to hate SeaWorld till the day it's shut down.

Cat

So you'd rather an animal be brutally murdered or never be born or go extinct than have it in captivity? Ok.
u wot m8...
My post said that all the support for zoos and places like seaworld should be directed more towards rehabilitory centers. They focus on rescuing animals, nurturing them back to health, and releasing them back into the wild. And if needed, they keep them if they have no chance what so ever in the wild. I've personally been a sponsor for a lot of lil penguins out there who would not have survived if a rescue organization didn't intervene (they were trapped on a small, polluted island) And sure, a lot of zoos do keep the animals that have no chance in the wild because of extenuating circumstances, but the proceeds are still going towards the zoos, rather than the people who actually make a difference. Again, it feels wrong to make watching animals run around in small enclosures a pass-time.
And where did I say that the animal would be brutally murdered? Wildlife parks do everything they can to protect the animals from poachers. And if the zoos are keeping endangered animals in captivity and not making any efforts for their race in the long run then what's the point? They're going to go extinct anyways-- they may as well live out their lives as naturally and free as possible.

Whispered

u wot m8...
My post said that all the support for zoos and places like seaworld should be directed more towards rehabilitory centers. They focus on rescuing animals, nurturing them back to health, and releasing them back into the wild. And if needed, they keep them if they have no chance what so ever in the wild. I've personally been a sponsor for a lot of lil penguins out there who would not have survived if a rescue organization didn't intervene (they were trapped on a small, polluted island) And sure, a lot of zoos do keep the animals that have no chance in the wild because of extenuating circumstances, but the proceeds are still going towards the zoos, rather than the people who actually make a difference. Again, it feels wrong to make watching animals run around in small enclosures a pass-time.
And where did I say that the animal would be brutally murdered? Wildlife parks do everything they can to protect the animals from poachers. And if the zoos are keeping endangered animals in captivity and not making any efforts for their race in the long run then what's the point? They're going to go extinct anyways-- they may as well live out their lives as naturally and free as possible.
I'm sorry but I do think you should compare the effectiveness of Sea World and reputable zoos with that of "rehabilitory centers". I think you'll find that Sea World/zoos are much more effective than non-profits.

Name one instance where a rehabilitory center has kept an animal from going extinct?

Also, "they keep them if..." That's exactly what Sea World/zoos do? Many, if not all of the animals they keep would have no chance in the wild, either due to injuries or behavioral patterns, or just because they have too many predators and are endangered now.

Furthermore, yes, the money for a zoo/seaworld ticket goes to the organization.. just like the money you direct to rehabilitory centers goes there. The only difference is Sea World, through their use of parks as basically advertising and a money magnet has been able to attract a lot more money and use it better. Sure, a slightly smaller percentage of money goes directly to helping animals, but overall it's a drastically higher total amount of money.

Furthermore, again, talking about reputable zoos, they aren't just keeping animals in captivity and not making efforts to re-energize the race. They're building up the gene pool over time so that they can slowly release animals, and they won't all suddenly die again due to an unforseen genetic defect. They're building up numbers so that the animals don't die due to natural disasters soon after release. Etc.

And no, they aren't necessarily going to go extinct anyways. Wikipedia has some good articles on what the whole process of reintroduction entails - which by the way can be done after an animal is already "extinct in the wild".

Once again, we're only talking about the reputable, certified, accredited zoos. Not like the Austin "zoo". It's like the difference between "get your degree online through one of our degree farms" and going to an actual college/university.

britboy

I don't believe in animals in captivity, period.

Humans suck.
Most people on this planet cannot afford to go on safaris, and zoos act as education to young people who are interested in learning and seeing exotic animals as well as keeping certain species alive. Without some zoos we would never see some species again and I think that's more sad than them living in a zoo.

Myth

Orcas, regardless of gender, swim an average of about 100 miles a day- more for females when it's time for them to have babies.

In order for an orca at seaworld to get its daily exercise, it would need to swim around the tank, touching the edge, over 1,200 times. That's basically swimming in circles all day, without sleeping, a lap per minute.

I've taken enough classes in Marine Biology to hate SeaWorld till the day it's shut down.
Yes, but the ones that have been bred within SeaWorld cannot be released into the open ocean because they have never been exposed to it and wouldn't know how to survive on their own.

They need to release Tilly because he's the one who's suffered the longest and they need to stop breeding them. But the ones that are there now that have been born there pretty much have to live the rest of their days there because they simply wouldn't be able to adapt to the open ocean.

Although it would be nice for a whale sanctuary for them in the ocean.. probably netted but give them a few miles instead of those tanks. Then they'd at least be in peace.

I don't blame seaworld for their curiosity of the orcas. They just don't belong in tanks and they have to do something besides making the tanks larger. But it's not a simple solution and many people think they can just simply put them in the ocean and everything will be fine and dandy but it's not that easy.