What are we doing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we doing here guys? I know we're here to experience the magic again, but why do we spend all this time complaining about the smallest things on here?
Why do we fuss over cyber-drama? Why aren't we out there, in the real world making real friends? I'm sure some of you come on here in moderation, but for those who spend too much time on here (like me, when i'm not working), we deserve BETTER than this. We should be out there meeting people!

Human interaction is healthy guys. Online friendships just aren't the same as they are in person. You don't REALLY actually know people online.
You can't see their reaction to anything. You can't see the worry, happiness, or excitement in their face. You can't wrap your arms around them to reassure them that everything will be okay. You can't watch the way their lips move when they talk, you can't see the way their eyes look when they zoning out--or looking directly into your eyes caught up in the conversation. You can't notice their nervous habits, like biting their lips, or tapping their fingers on a nearby surface. You can't watch them laugh at something funny, that you two may only understand.

You can't experience the world around you together.

I took a 2 year break from the internet, and social networking sites. It was amazing, honestly. I actually had a life, haha. It had unfortunately changed not too long ago, and I crawled back into the cave that is my home. I crawled underneath a rock, and dedicated much of my free time to THIS. Lately I've been feeling as if it's time I stop wallowing in self-pity, and get out there to experience how life SHOULD be experienced. I need to meet new people.

I encourage everyone to do the same. You don't have to quit playing the game, or going on the forums. I do, however, encourage you to moderate the amount of time you spend coming online a day. You should be out there experiencing life! Life is short, so don't miss out on an amazing opportunity to meet some amazing people.

maybe you should take 2 more years and stop trying to regulate peoples life

It's a genuine suggestion, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. :/
I didn't have any negative intentions with this. I just want to help people out.

WHO

I didn't have any negative intentions with this. I just want to help people out.
nobody really asked for your help :/
People can make decisions on their own with what to do with their lives.
Telling people to get off the internet and go make friends outside of it is pointless.
people can do what they want with their lives :)

nobody really asked for your help :/
People can make decisions on their own with what to do with their lives.
Telling people to get off the internet and go make friends outside of it is pointless.
people can do what they want with their lives :)
Please don't turn this into something negative.
You don't have to accept my help, I'm not forcing it on anyone. It's a suggestion, and imo it's a rather healthy one.
If you don't like it, then just ignore it. You are free to do whatever you want. I just think humans can better understand each other when they experience life with each other. When they walk together, and talk together.

you can't make baseless assumptions that people aren't living their life to their full potential because people argue on an internet forum

like congrats on taking a two year break do you want an award for it

you can't make baseless assumptions that people aren't living their life to their full potential because people argue on an internet forum

Why is everyone being so bitter? I said that I'm sure some people moderate their time online. Don't you agree that it'd be healthier to be around people in person, rather than argue on an internet forum?

WHO

Why is everyone being so bitter? I said that I'm sure some people moderate their time online. Don't you agree that it'd be healthier to be around people in person, rather than argue on an internet forum?

Stop telling people what to do. It's their life. Not yours. Nobody asked you for advice on how long they should be online.

Stop telling people what to do. It's their life. Not yours. Nobody asked you for advice on how long they should be online.
Okay, thank you for your input.

Is there anything wrong with doing both?

Chances are you don't know what most of the people on this forum do in their spare time.

WHO

Okay, thank you for your input.
You're welcome. :)

Yurgle

Zeppelin,

First of all, sorry about the people who are currently trolling your thread...

Second of all, thanks for the suggestion. I know that most people spend an unhealthy amount of time online, even if they're unwilling to admit it. It'd be healthy for people to cut back, no matter how little they play. Sure, people can say that it isn't hurting their lives at all, but in reality surfing the internet isn't as intellectually or socially stimulating as real-life situations.

Thanks for sharing you personal experiences, and hopefully we can all learn something from this!

WHO

Zeppelin,

Second of all, thanks for the suggestion. I know that most people spend an unhealthy amount of time online, even if they're unwilling to admit it. It'd be healthy for people to cut back, no matter how little they play. Sure, people can say that it isn't hurting their lives at all, but in reality surfing the internet isn't as intellectually or socially stimulating as real-life situations.

Thanks for sharing you personal experiences, and hopefully we can all learn something from this!

Except I'm not trolling and I'm dead serious. You tried though, I guess.

Zeppelin,

Just because I disagree with what Zepplin is saying doesn't mean I am "trolling". Like, do you even know what trolling is?

This section is for rants and complaints, if you post something, you shouldn't expect everyone to agree whole-heartedly. Get over it.

Zeppelin,

Thank you, I really appreciate it! :)
I've just come to terms with my unhealthy time spent on here, and I feel that we all should spend more time offline.
I know for a fact there are plenty of people who don't come on here very often, so I'm not talking about them. Again, sorry if anyone found this thread offensive, I'm just trying to help.

Yurgle

Zeppelin,

Just because I disagree with what Zepplin is saying doesn't mean I am "trolling". Like, do you even know what trolling is?

This section is for rants and complaints, if you post something, you shouldn't expect everyone to agree whole-heartedly. Get over it.
Yeah, trolling is posting on somebody else's topic, trying to ignite a negative response from said person.

Just because its about ranting, doesn't mean you can hijack someone else's thread and rant about their rant. The title of "rant" doesn't imply that you can be rude or disrespectful to the OP.

Zeppelin,

Yeah, trolling is posting on somebody else's topic, trying to ignite a negative response from said person.

Just because its about ranting, doesn't mean you can hijack someone else's thread and rant about their rant. The title of "rant" doesn't imply that you can be rude or disrespectful to the OP.
Except I voiced my opinion towards the OP.

Seriously, what do you expect to accomplish out of derailing this thread by accusing people of trolling? 'Cause you're not going to get anywhere.

Except I voiced my opinion towards the OP.

Seriously, what do you expect to accomplish out of derailing this thread by accusing people of trolling? 'Cause you're not going to get anywhere.
I'd rather this thread not get shut down, so if we could all restrain ourselves from arguing that'd really help.

Jasmine

That's not the definition of trolling. Trolling is a form of spamming.

Anyway, I see what they're saying. In fact, I'm assuming many people are agreeing with them, and that's probably why there haven't been a lot of different posters on this thread. I especially think the part about online friendships is what's going to make many people mad.

So thanks for the suggestion, but yeah, it's kind of rude. I don't think you meant it to be that way, but I know that's how it's coming across to most of us.

Andrew

You realize that most online communities/games have people who spend all (or most) of their time playing/on forums. Look at games like World of Warcraft and Runescape, there are people who sit all day and just play those games non-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.