What do you think about "rerouting" the Rivers of America for Star Wars Land?

ZachTWB

Disneyland obsessed
A while back I asked Disneyland Today (an official Disneyland twitter account) about the rumors that part of the Rivers of America will be rerouted to make way for Star Wars Land. They responded and said that the Rivers of America would have a new route when it reopens after it's temporary closure starting in January.

What do you guys think about this? Bad idea? Good idea? Do you have a better idea?

Daykota

I don't think there's another option available other than to scrap SWL. There's not enough space in California Adventure to house it, and regardless of where it is placed in Disneyland, the Railroad has to be rerouted as well. It sucks, but the Rivers and Tom Sawyer's Island need a facelift and I guess this is how Disney sees it.

I think putting Star Wars land in over there is a terrible idea to begin with. In fact, I've stated my stance so many times, that I'm just tired. Our complaints won't stop anything. It's like here, tbh.
Fruitless, futile complaints and suggestions.

I really thought that they would have simply revamped Tomorrowland (it needs it bad) to make it.
Or, I thought they'd FINALLY take out Bugs Land (it's a joke for DCA workers. They never get new uniforms, their break area is horrendous, and they get treated like the ugly stepsisters of the park when they mention to another cast member where they work,) and build back like they did with Cars Land. The only thing that's behind there is a Cast Office, and they've been planning on moving that job section to another area for years.

So, in short, No. I'm not happy about any of this at all, to the point of actively not wanting to renew my pass. Next year would be my 20th year with an Annual Pass, so that's saying something.

rlsmelly

i don't think it's a good idea at all.

the budget can go to revamping tomorrowland

+ i don't think it belongs in disneyland to begin with especially where it's going like making rivers of america smaller & getting rid of big thunder ranch just isn't worth it in my opinion.

WDW is for expansion
Disneyland is more of a place of nostalgia

Hollywood studios desperately needs star wars land while disneyland is better off without it but that's just me!!

i don't think it's a good idea at all.

the budget can go to revamping tomorrowland

+ i don't think it belongs in disneyland to begin with especially where it's going like making rivers of america smaller & getting rid of big thunder ranch just isn't worth it in my opinion.

WDW is for expansion
Disneyland is more of a place of nostalgia

Hollywood studios desperately needs star wars land while disneyland is better off without it but that's just me!!
Precisely!!

One of my main complaints about it being in Disneyland is that it is the original park. It has vague land names with lots of particular things inside. Not a particular land with particular things inside.
I can't help but feel like I'm being forced into a money grab situation, and it's going to be as quickly and haphazardly thrown together as Bugs Land was.

Star Wars land seems like it's going to be built up to be like the films, which just shows that it's Disney's response to Harry Potter Land/World at Universal Studios.

I agree that it's perfect for Hollywood/MGM Studios (I haven't been there in like 10 years, it's always MGM in my heart) because it's a movie themed park and from what I remember/know there is a lot of space to play with and revamp over there.

I just hate the people that are in charge of the parks division right now. They raise prices constantly, there's nothing for annual passholders anymore... like the quests and such in the late 90s/early 2000s, and they're making pretty poor decisions in an ever poorer attempt to bring in more cash.
It's disgusting, and I'm pretty much done.

I grew up in the parks. I had a bad home life and school life, and it was my safe place. It's still where I end up when I need to think about big decisions or have a serious discussion with a family member about something important. It's the home of my heart... but all of these negative changes that are being made because the higher ups think we're all blind and stupid is killing me.
I can't lose this too, you know?
Yet there's no choice.
We just have to accept it, and that's what is the most annoying. They don't listen, and they don't see logic.

aliceblue

Don't get me started. :(

I'd have an easier time with a complete conversion of Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land than I would with them taking this chunk out of Frontierland. (Tomorrowland hasn't been the same since the disastrous "faux retro" refurb in the 90s anyway. ) Not sure why Star Wars has to take over a quarter of the park. And sticking part of it between Fantasyland and Frontierland seems very strange.

I will miss Big Thunder Ranch, and I will miss seeing remnants from the past like Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer's Island and the tunnel from the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

I always associate Frontierland with Walt; he used to love to sit in front of the Golden Horseshoe and watch the river. I don't think he would be happy with this particular plan.

I don't like it at all and I especially don't like how an entire land is being devoted to it. I think Disney is feeling threatened by Universal's Double Coasting of Harry Potter and is trying to outdo them with Star Wars on both coasts. I think a Star Wars ride in Tomorrowland is fine, but an entire land in Disneyland doesn't feel like it aligns with what Disneyland. I think it fits better in California Adventure and it would be great there. I'm glad MGM is getting one though since it is desperately needed.

Daykota

Precisely!!

One of my main complaints about it being in Disneyland is that it is the original park. It has vague land names with lots of particular things inside. Not a particular land with particular things inside.
I can't help but feel like I'm being forced into a money grab situation, and it's going to be as quickly and haphazardly thrown together as Bugs Land was.

Star Wars land seems like it's going to be built up to be like the films, which just shows that it's Disney's response to Harry Potter Land/World at Universal Studios.

I agree that it's perfect for Hollywood/MGM Studios (I haven't been there in like 10 years, it's always MGM in my heart) because it's a movie themed park and from what I remember/know there is a lot of space to play with and revamp over there.

I just hate the people that are in charge of the parks division right now. They raise prices constantly, there's nothing for annual passholders anymore... like the quests and such in the late 90s/early 2000s, and they're making pretty poor decisions in an ever poorer attempt to bring in more cash.
It's disgusting, and I'm pretty much done.

I grew up in the parks. I had a bad home life and school life, and it was my safe place. It's still where I end up when I need to think about big decisions or have a serious discussion with a family member about something important. It's the home of my heart... but all of these negative changes that are being made because the higher ups think we're all blind and stupid is killing me.
I can't lose this too, you know?
Yet there's no choice.
We just have to accept it, and that's what is the most annoying. They don't listen, and they don't see logic.
My one problem with this is "nostalgia." Disneyland is a project that is never complete. When you tag the park as nostalgic, anything you do to the original components becomes blasphemous. For example, look at the backlash Disney got for rebuilding the western town of Rainbow Ridge. People were concerned removing one of the last original pieces from the park was absurd and going to destroy the "nostalgia" of Disneyland. To me, that's not the case. The nostalgia will always be there. In our memories, pictures, and hearts.

As for Star Wars Land, this is an obvious answer to Universal Studios amping up of franchised attractions. While it is specifically rumored to be in response to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it could also be an answer to Nintendo attractions coming to Universal Studios Japan (which, if proven successful, could launch stateside). Disney is not afraid to play a game to keep its standings until it can find the right moment to launch the next big thing; they have the resources and money to do so.

I find the placement of the land kinda of peculiar. Star Wars Land falls between Frontierland and Fantasyland. Obviously, the movie is sci-fi, which falls into the fantasy category, but it also explores the final frontier, which is space. It's a interesting tie into both lands. Granted, this park could have been worked into DCA, but I don't see the space nor theming necessary to fix this newcomer to its map. With that said, SWL is probably in the best spot it could be to help tie the project into the resort.

I first struggled with the idea that SWL was taking over a big chuck of the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island. These are part of the "nostalgia" of the park. However, it's that same nostalgia that people do not realize has already been lost in recent years. Tom Sawyer's Island has been lost to Pirates, which the interactive additions haven't been updated or upkept since its debut. The Fort has been closed since 2001(?) and sits as a weird obstacle for guests to walk around. The animatronics on the Rivers, especially the log cabin scene, have been on-again, off-again, leaving canoers and boatgoers to wonder why a moose is standing still or a cabin isn't livable during their visit. Big Thunder Ranch, to me, was always a throw away idea. Let's put some animals, BBQ, and a show that maybe will attract people, and call it an attraction.

I believe Disney knows they have spaces in the park they can better utilize and these were on the list of many. Just think, the Rivers will receive an update, the Island could receive a refresh, and finally a gateway to something new.

Finally, I'm not looking at SWL as a whole new land, but more of an annex like New Orleans Square, Critter Country, or Toon Town. These lay on the outskirts of Disneyland's map and aren't even new lands to themselves; they are extensions of other lands. We don't even know what Star Wars Land is actually called yet. SWL is merely a placeholder like in the case of Avatar Land was for Pandora - The World of Avatar. It will lie beyond the borders of the railroad. So where in the world does it become a whole new land at Disneyland? To me, it's not. It is an oversized attraction.

ToonyGirl

Cartoon Member
Honestly, I think they should have just made a new land for Star Wars like Animal Kingdom or Disney California Adventure, or added extra room for it at Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW. Being a fan of many things they have torn out or changed (Mickey's Toontown Fair, Country Bears Jamboree and the original Pirates of the Caribbean (before the movie) and more that I can't think of atm, it's upsetting:cry:. And it's not a franchise they made themselves, they bought out LucasFilm.

Last edited:
I agree with @Daykota on this one. While I feel Star Wars Land would have fit better in DCA, let's face it. Big Thunder Ranch wasn't drawing much of a crowd. I only walked through there on Halloween for their Trick or Treat trails and as a cut through from Fantasyland. And I'm not seeing Star Wars as like this massive land, but as was mentioned by others, as more of a themed area dedicated to Star Wars. I think it will look cool! I just hope the caves are still there on Tom Sawyer...I really loved those!