The Future of Crates

What do you want to happen with crates?

• Keep them the same

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • Sell the keys in the catalogue

Votes: 95 44.4%
  • Get rid of them entirely

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Other (reply with what you want, if this wins a new poll will be created with the suggested options)

Votes: 19 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to see the old crates removed and have new crates, maybe holiday themed, for the month of December with different items.

mark

10 mins late to everything
Other: if bought from catalogue u have a less chance of getting the rare item, if won from games or npc u get a slightly higher chance of winning :)

Shrimp

Those of you favoring selling the keys out on the catalog... I don't understand? Would you want them to be only obtainable that way? If so, that is beyond silly and will lead to more loss and frustration. When you shell, play Fireworks, or Jungle Cruise, your credit savings increase as well as getting a shot at earning keys simultaneously. However, when you're only able to purchase keys, you'll be wasting away your time playing those very same games only to spend them on keys afterwards... Some people have already earned around 100 keys. Imagine how much credits they've accumulated to buy new items as well... I doubt you'd want to spend 100,000 credits simply on keys if they're sold for 1k each (a total gamble) AND hope to have credits remaining for newly released items.

I personally haven't been lucky with this key & crate system, but it does work for the long term. New members joining the game have the opportunity to win rare and get a decent start in trading and jumping into the game's economy without it being ridiculously impossible.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the current system as well as having the keys out for sale. The more variety ways of getting keys, the better. Although the super rare chances would have to decrease with the increase of keys coming into the game. At this rate, we'll have over 250 of both princess minnies and stitch within another month. The super rares should get a change when they reach a certain amount in release or the term "super rare" is void.

We have actually enjoyed the crate/key system so far. Getting the super rare items isn't supposed to be easy, that's why they are super rare. For people to get the blue stitch hat in the original VMK, you had to book a DLR vacation. That's why they were super rare there. Honestly, playing fireworks and jungle cruise for keys has kept us motivated to play and really helped us build up credits.

I like your plan, Amy, of changing crates over time, but the old crates still giving out their original prizes. People can plan accordingly to save their crates and keys will continually be available. Our family still has lots of "crate #1" and we are excited knowing that over time as we get the keys to open them, we still might have a chance for those items. I was actually looking forward to what you had in store for us with Holiday Crates. :)

If you do decide to make keys a buy able item, it would be great if some keys still dropped in games. Heck, no matter what you decide to change, I'd like to suggest that crates also randomly drop in Fireworks and JC.

Either way, thank you Amy for all of your hard work. I think the crates have been a really creative way to offer rare items to all of us. It's given our family a chance at items we could have never dreamed of having in the original VMK.

I like putting the keys for sale, but changing the odds for rares is extremely needed. Someone can get 5 stitch hats and 5 minnie's, but i've opened close to 150 now and only gotten chairs basically.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
keep it the same.. buying keys to gamble is LAME.. people buying them and losing won't make happy time when their bank roll is gone.. it will just bring about more quitter threads.

I'm fine with gambling my time rather than my credits.
This will happen, I'm 100 certain. And I agree with you so much xD

Those of you favoring selling the keys out on the catalog... I don't understand? Would you want them to be only obtainable that way? If so, that is beyond silly and will lead to more loss and frustration. When you shell, play Fireworks, or Jungle Cruise, your credit savings increase as well as getting a shot at earning keys simultaneously. However, when you're only able to purchase keys, you'll be wasting away your time playing those very same games only to spend them on keys afterwards... Some people have already earned around 100 keys. Imagine how much credits they've accumulated to buy new items as well... I doubt you'd want to spend 100,000 credits simply on keys if they're sold for 1k each (a total gamble) AND hope to have credits remaining for newly released items.

I personally haven't been lucky with this key & crate system, but it does work for the long term. New members joining the game have the opportunity to win rare and get a decent start in trading and jumping into the game's economy without it being ridiculously impossible.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the current system as well as having the keys out for sale. The more variety ways of getting keys, the better. Although the super rare chances would have to decrease with the increase of keys coming into the game. At this rate, we'll have over 250 of both princess minnies and stitch within another month. The super rares should get a change when they reach a certain amount in release or the term "super rare" is void.
Well said and completely agreed. I think keys and crates should be viewed as rewards for spending time and earning credits in the games. I'm not understanding why people only play to get keys when they were placed there to get people to play games more and earn credits. I understand that the prizes might be causing this but this is no reason to change the system....

I will agree with others though that I do not like how I see some players getting many super rares while others haven't even got one. I'm sorry but even if that is luck it still looks very fishy to me. It's something I'm trying to understand with very little success to understand. I've opened maybe around 80 crates with only getting 7 gold items. The super rares are very hard to trade for no matter what as there is no way to possibly get a feasible trade without giving much of what someone owns.

ClarityG

When you shell, play Fireworks, or Jungle Cruise, your credit savings increase as well as getting a shot at earning keys simultaneously.
Getting the super rare items isn't supposed to be easy, that's why they are super rare.
I agree with these two quotes, and voted to keep the key/crate system the way it is. Not everyone is going to get a super rare item. I never got a super rare item in the original VMK, and I have yet to get any in MyVMK either despite opening over 50 crates so far. And yet, I'm still having a blast playing the mini games, buying stuff with the credits I've earned, and buying and giving away prizes in my game room. And it's fun to open crates even if I never get a super rare. People should not make the game a quest for the most rare items, there are lots of other fun things to focus on.

However, I wouldn't object to selling keys in the store, as long as they were expensive to buy and also still given out in the games. I'd actually like to see crates become buyable more than keys, as I don't like picking up shells and only get a couple crates a day from NPC's.

John

Keep it the same, I've gotten rich just from people buying keys from me.
You can't get rares from not playing.

People complain that they have school, work, lives, etc. -- you think no one has any of that and they just play all day every day? Everyone has stuff to do, people to see.
People will complain if the keys are in the catalog or not, so I say keep it how it is.

HOWEVER- I would be very interested to see crates sold, but only special ones. Like crates with ultra rare items only (sold for like 100,000 credits) or some other special types of crates sold in stores with certain types of items, but they can all be opened with gold keys.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I realize selling keys in the catalogue could potentially damage the trader's market and the economy because they could become more common, but I vote for selling them. Personally, I don't rather care for a trader's market since I'm not an avid trader, and I don't care for an economy either. I wouldn't be upset if everyone in the game had everything they wanted because it was available for sale. But that's just me, and that's my perspective, I really only see these items as pixels I don't hold very much value to them. I think it would be great to have them be sold rather than the system they're in right now. :) I'm glad there's a poll for this! Thank you Amy!

I think either have the keys the way they are or not at all. I dont want to spend 10k for a key and get a hong kong lamp!
How about both, give people the option to buy also.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I think either have the keys the way they are or not at all. I dont want to spend 10k for a key and get a hong kong lamp!
How about both, give people the option to buy also.
This is a great suggestion. Or maybe have classes of keys to sell? 10k gets you a key that gives you a super rare item? Cheaper keys get you the more common items? Just a thought :)

milklady

original vmk player
I would like the keys for sale, we would still have to play mini games to get coins to buy them, but i agree, have only gotten one super rare from crate and nothing else., so ya my luck sucks

So here's where we should go:
-Once super rares hit a saturation point (to be determined) change the crate. Crate #(last+1) launches will all new rares and super rares.
-Keys don't change. Gold keys will open all crates and will always be given out.
-If someone wants a Stitch hat, they can use their keys on crate #1 (assuming they can trade for a crate #1 or have crate #1 leftover). However, that's one fewer crate #2 opened. That's 1/100 fewer Crate #2 super rares. The more crate #1 super rares get introduced into the game, the fewer crate #2 super rares get introduced into the game. Thus, crate #2 rares increase in value, and people stop opening crate #1. See, this solution self-regulates.

Problem: I thought about it, and all of the above collapses if keys are sold in-store. Why? Because at a low credit value (let's say 1k), Gold Keys inflate. The trade market values a key at ~10,000 credits (I don't know for sure; I haven't seen firewalls valued in credits or magic lately). At a high credit value (10k), credits deflate.

EDIT: Rethinking, and graduated keys are a slightly better possibility.

Gold (12.5k credits or given out):
~1 Super Rare
~9 Rare
~90 Common

Silver (6k credits):
~.5 Super Rare
~4.5 Rare
~95 Common

Bronze (2.75k credits):
~.25 Super Rare
~2.25 Rare
~97.5 Common

Something like that. This maintains key values while giving slightly less credit deflation. Note that credit values aren't exactly halved -- this accounts for the crate that gets burned up in the process. For a 1 chance of super rare, you need either A) 12.5k and 1 crate, B) 6k credits and 2 crates, or C) 11k and 4 crates.

Maltoo

I like the crates in the sense they can be fun when the keys and crates drop but that is happening less and less. Personally I would like the ability to be able to buy rares also, or as some have suggested sell the keys, with graduated chances, the more expensive the key the better the prize. Keep the keys and crates in the game for new peeps and people who are credit poor. I would also like to see the items in the crates added to the shops even for one day or for only several hours with advanced notice that item will be available for X amount of time only and with purchase limits, ie 1 per avatar for the super rares. This gives everyone the opportunity to acquire rare items even those who are not so lucky! or can't trade for super rares because they have nothing of value. It makes the game more enjoyable for the masses and if your players are happy the less chance they will jump ship.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I would do both, have random keys from characters and games. But also put keys in the catalogue. That way if you re not winning any you can choose to buy one or wait to win keys. I would not have different keys just one key one price. I think this will balance out the game of people not needing to play games and games to try and get keys.

I've had the worst luck both getting anything rare from any of the crates I've opened. I just don't understand how this randomizer works. For instance, if there's a 1/9 of getting Leroy, why I have I opened 40+ crates with nothing good & there's people out here with 3 Leroys? I obviously don't have luck (both in crates and finding decent trades), and I'd hate for more of the super rares from the original being released this way.

Once quests are released, I think that would be the best way to earn keys and/or super rares (like bird hat/inferno, etc.). They could still be "super-rare" if the quest is only open for a day, or three days. If anyone remembers the search for Blackheart's treasure in 2008, you could win a Minnie hat, tons of credit, and treasure detector magic. It was open for less than a week, and it was a huge success because it was attainable for everyone, not just people who happen to be really lucky.

If keys and crates are in the game to stay, I think that keys should still be given randomly through playing mini-games and random events (i.e. "find Amy!"). However, I think different crates should go on sale. There could be standard crates (which are the items being released in Crate #1, not including "super rare"), holiday crates (which guarantee a type of holiday item), pin crates (guarantee regular pins and/or magic pins), and clothing crates (that guarantee anything from hats to shirts and shoes). Depending on the type of crate, the higher the price. The gold key could be used to access any of them, and you could buy the crates of the type of items that cater to your wants. Each crate-type will have their own set of average, rare, and super rares. For instance, in the pin crates, the super rare could be a magic like Fireworks magic, a rare would be Haunted Mansion pin, and an average could be one that was already released in the past or a catalog pin.

Again, this is only a suggestion. It would be something that would still make other people happy. (Especially since people have tried so hard to collect keys, it would be a shame to see them be out for sale.)
I honestly think this idea would work. It sounds much more organized than the current system.
But what also could MAYBE work: keys could be sold but these different crates could be obtained from games, events, or just walking around (and quests, when they get released).

10k per key in the catalogue would be nice.
10k is not easily obtainable at the moment... I think that would be fair if we had more ways to get credits. People are good at different games, and they aren't all released yet. 1k-2k each would be considered fair, in my opinion.

Personally, I think that Minnie, Stitch, and Green Flips need to stopped being gave out. They are losing there "super rare" value. Take them out for good and put in new super rares. But I feel that the reason why a lot of people have been quitting is because they feel that the key system has taken over the game and it has.
I agree. There should be a balance... I don't think Minnie, Stitch, and Green Flips should stop being given out completely, but they should be taken out for a little while, maybe during a certain time of each month, other things can then be put in, so people can want other things? These 3 things specifically are what makes this key & crate event unbearable for some. In my opinion, I don't think the key & crate event is even necessary at the moment. Not all games and features are released... this event is forcing us to be savages (I couldn't find another word, sorry if it sounds too harsh) unintentionally.

But we should all remember that myVMK is still in beta, and Amy, whatever you do, it's okay - we understand. You are trying to satisfy everyone's needs and we think you are doing a great job. Keep brainstorming with your team and testing things out to gain further knowledge of how you want to go about this.

Sharks

It all depends on how much you plan on selling keys for. The game's economy will rely heavily on them being expensive I think (5000+ credits each, at least). Putting them up for sale will cause rarities to go down and probably cause a ton of controversy. I think if keys go on sale, the current rares and super rares should be retired and replaced. This will avoid widespread commotion and add a lot of variety to the economy. Anything can be super rare if you make it so I don't think adding items to the game and replacing them would be a huge deal (but then again, what do I know about coding.) In essence, expensive keys + new rares or the extinction of the system would be the only viable options. You'd be creating a bigger problem than you're trying to fix otherwise.

JessieMel

I like the crates in the sense they can be fun when the keys and crates drop but that is happening less and less. Personally I would like the ability to be able to buy rares also, or as some have suggested sell the keys, with graduated chances, the more expensive the key the better the prize. Keep the keys and crates in the game for new peeps and people who are credit poor. I would also like to see the items in the crates added to the shops even for one day or for only several hours with advanced notice that item will be available for X amount of time only and with purchase limits, ie 1 per avatar for the super rares. This gives everyone the opportunity to acquire rare items even those who are not so lucky! or can't trade for super rares because they have nothing of value. It makes the game more enjoyable for the masses and if your players are happy the less chance they will jump ship.

I agree. I would like the chance to be able to buy the rares. I may be in the minority here. I don't understand the trader's market and why people have to trade away their life for a chance to own a rare. Yet it seems some people have 2/3/4 or maybe all the rares already and some of us have nothing. I don't even have anything good to trade because what the people ask for is a crazy amount of things and all the stuff if the catalogue is very high priced and hard to afford especially when you don't have time to sit on the game all day and earn credits. I don't own firewalls and green flip hats, I am not sure how people afforded that in the beginning unless they were using clones. I feel this game has turned people very greedy and it has caused me to become very tense and uptight because I feel like I will never get any of the rares. I don't understand why things have to be rare. It makes me very upset to see people with a stitch hat and green flips. All I get is furniture that I don't really need. I would rather have Princess Minnie, Stitch, Leroy and Green and Pink flips. I am sorry I feel this way, but I do. However in ways I agree with this quote.....see below......

I would do both, have random keys from characters and games. But also put keys in the catalogue. That way if you re not winning any you can choose to buy one or wait to win keys. I would not have different keys just one key one price. I think this will balance out the game of people not needing to play games and games to try and get keys.
Keep the keys how they are (from games, characters and shells) but also put them in the catalogue. If you place them in the catalogue alone and don't keep them also the way they are I am sure they will be crazy expensive and then how can we afford to also buy the holiday stuff? I don't have ALL day to dedicate to earning credits, but some stuff is so outrageously priced (ex: full cali couch for 12,000) how can I save up for holiday stuff now?

This is supposed to be a fan revival of a game we all loved. I know trading and rare was a part of it all, but why can't everyone just enjoy everything? I never liked rare in the original game and feel it brings out greed in people.

I am just stating my opinion and I am sure a lot of people won't like what I wrote, but it's how I feel. I am uptight from the current way things are and feel like I want to walk away from the game. I am sure you will decide whatever, but I wanted to let you know how I feel.

Thanks.

ps - you all did a great job re-creating the game and I appreciate it, I just would like to be able to own everything.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I think to keep them the same is the best thing to do, IMO. Because I like the keys dropping randomly, but I can see the appeal to selling them in the catalogue, so I'm fine with both of those. Just don't get rid of them, whatever you do.