The Future of Crates

What do you want to happen with crates?

• Keep them the same

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • Sell the keys in the catalogue

Votes: 95 44.4%
  • Get rid of them entirely

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Other (reply with what you want, if this wins a new poll will be created with the suggested options)

Votes: 19 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cat

I don't agree at all with the randomized system.
It's not fair for players to work so hard to obtain mass amounts of keys, as I know myself and a few others have worked really hard to earn keys and have still won NOTHING.
But then, explain to me how, some players get super rares, consecutively, crate after opened crate? How, a brand new player used ONE key and gets a super rare. It seems more and more players are spared from the turmoil that IS earning tons of keys and receiving nothing for all your hard work.
I cannot explain how devastating it is to spend weeks, earning enough keys, and the utter disappointment you feel when you get nothing out of your hard work. Owning a rare should be an ACCOMPLISHMENT for your hard work.. not something you 'got lucky' with.

So, this being said. I believe that the rares should NOT be given out on a randomized system. Players who work hard should be rewarded for their efforts. Making keys buy-able will NOT help this situation. However, I don't know what the correct answer to this is to solve this problem. Maybe for every so many keys you earn, you can redeem them for stuff? Say you can redeem 1 key for a regular common item in the crate, 5-10 for a gold item, 25-50 for a super rare. I'm unsure of what the appropriate rates would be for this though.

This would give people who work hard a reward for their efforts.
Like I said, the randomized system is completely unfair, and to hand out desirable rare items based on this system, frankly sucks.
But of course, if you've ever won anything worthwhile from a crate you will not agree, because you don't know what it feels like to not.
My 2 cents.

EDIT:
Also receiving the keys from NPCs, games is ALSO based on a randomized system. Again, how is it fair that one person plays an upwards of 15 rounds of JC and not receive anything, while others get one every other round?
Why not for every ___ games of ____ you play (qualifying for a key every time) you earn a key?

Last edited:

Maltoo

The sad thing is that keys or trading is the only way to acquire rare items. With VMK you had options and the economy was always good, so it worked. I am talking about the codes. You could go to WDW or DL and do quests or buy pins and get codes. If you could not go you could buy codes off eBay or a friend could gift you. I am afraid with not having other options to acquire the rare items then a lot of players will just feel they can not keep up and feel defeated before they even begin and QUIT. It would be awesome if Amy could reactivate the old codes( not all at once)because I know most players kept their cards and it would get more of these rare items in the game. They are even still for sale on eBay. If that can not happen then I do not know what the answer is but making these items "super rare" is not going to work in the long run in my opinion.

It's not fair for players to work so hard to obtain mass amounts of keys, as I know myself and a few others have worked really hard to earn keys and have still won NOTHING.
But then, explain to me how, some players get super rares, consecutively, crate after opened crate? How, a brand new player used ONE key and gets a super rare. It seems more and more players are spared from the turmoil that IS earning tons of keys and receiving nothing for all your hard work.
I cannot explain how devastating it is to spend weeks, earning enough keys, and the utter disappointment you feel when you get nothing out of your hard work. Owning a rare should be an ACCOMPLISHMENT for your hard work.. not something you 'got lucky' with.

So, this being said. I believe that the rares should NOT be given out on a randomized system. Players who work hard should be rewarded for their efforts. Making keys buy-able will NOT help this situation. However, I don't know what the correct answer to this is to solve this problem. Maybe for every so many keys you earn, you can redeem them for stuff? Say you can redeem 1 key for a regular common item in the crate, 5-10 for a gold item, 25-50 for a super rare. I'm unsure of what the appropriate rates would be for this though.

Like I said, the randomized system is completely unfair, and to hand out desirable rare items based on this system, frankly sucks.
But of course, if you've ever won anything worthwhile from a crate you will not agree, because you don't know what it feels like to not.
My 2 cents.

EDIT:
Also receiving the keys from NCPs, games is ALSO based on a randomized system. Again, how is it fair that one person plays an upwards of 15 rounds of JC and not receive anything, while others get one every other round?
Why not for every ___ games of ____ you play (qualifying for a key every time) you earn a key?
yep every bit of this

Keep things as is.

Reason NOT to sell keys or crates:

1) Players who play games better/more will have more credits then players who play casually. They will be able to buy more keys and take more chances at rares. In this way, they will end up with more rares just based on statistical likelihood. They can trade the rares for more rares and take even greater control of the economy.(the random noob winning a minnie hat is the great equalizer, you can't buy your way around that now)

2) Players who do not play much, kids who are not well informed on statistical likelihood of winning and gamblers will buy keys at the expense of other items, clothing, magic and room items. They are unlikely to make guest rooms, games and may become less interactive/social. This leads to more antisocial players. The casual player is the most social ATM.

3) Players will just grind for credits to win keys to take chances at winning rares. They are already antisocial and this will not help them interact. They grind for keys as it is. Trading the struggle to win credits for the struggle to win keys isn't an upgrade. Totally lateral motion.

The solution is clear, leave the crates and keys as is. Add rares but don't remove them. Change base items to seasonals. Make that 30K monstrosity gold snowman a rare win. With the current cost of holiday items, no one wants to split their money between room items and keys. Room items mean guest rooms. Guest rooms mean having guests over and socializing. Isn't that what we are trying to increase here? More games to make credits are fine but player retention is based on interpersonal relationships. This game is not as "sticky" as it could be, new players are easily bored. Casual players find themselves marginalized by the "rich" and the "collectors".
Honestly, I don't see how your solution can solve the problem of players being antisocial. Wouldn't adding more rares, not selling keys/crates, make players go even crazier to get them? Anyways, everyone has their own niche. If someone likes to play games all the time, so be it. If someone likes to trade and talk with others, so be it. You are generalizing such a diverse population of gamers. For me, for example, I like to hang out at other peoples' rooms. My niche is not decorating a room, collecting rooms, or anything like that.
Sorry, it's not my intention to attack your point of view.

My 2 cents.

EDIT:
Also receiving the keys from NCPs, games is ALSO based on a randomized system. Again, how is it fair that one person plays an upwards of 15 rounds of JC and not receive anything, while others get one every other round?
This is true. Or even add more ways to get keys so it can be more enjoyable.

also something else i forgot to include, but i think lots of people don't really care about item value, but more about having their favorite items and items they've never gotten the chance to have before.

My 2 cents.

EDIT:
Yes! I really do agree 100..I like the key/crate idea, but I think that it's a bit TOO random.
I also hope that the keys open ALL crates, and that different crates are added. I have tons of crates, and I'd like to believe that no matter what happens, I'll still have the chance to get my beloved Minnie someday as long as I still have crates.

20 keys is too easy to retrieve, so "redeeming" items would only cause further conflicts.

It's not the system's fault, it's how players interact with it. If you're going to be really dedicated, you should be fully aware and prepare yourself for the worst. Certain games use this kind of method, and they're exceedingly successful. My advice is stop getting stressed over virtual items. Not everything will be fair, that's how games work. You won't always get the rare items you want; they're scarce for a reason.

You will most certainly get more opportunities in the future, so don't feel overwhelmed.

Selling keys in the catalog would defeat the purpose of having this kind of system. If the option weren't vague and it specified how much the cost of the keys would be, then it could be considered. The only reason people voted for that is because they think they can buy heaps of keys, thus increasing their chances of getting a rare. You thought wrong.... the drop rates are low, so don't expect to be given a rare item even if you open a crate 400 times. If you are sick of wasting your time on crates, then stop using your time on them. This system is based on luck after all!

The world ain't fair; don't get worked up over it. I can understand the people who worked extremely hard at attempting to retrieve a rare. I have too. But I don't complain about it because the system is based on luck, so I don't expect high standards. I underestimate so I'm never disappointed.

I say leave as is.

Sharks

It all depends on how much you plan on selling keys for. The game's economy will rely heavily on them being expensive I think (5000+ credits each, at least). Putting them up for sale will cause rarities to go down and probably cause a ton of controversy. I think if keys go on sale, the current rares and super rares should be retired and replaced. This will avoid widespread commotion and add a lot of variety to the economy. Anything can be super rare if you make it so I don't think adding items to the game and replacing them would be a huge deal (but then again, what do I know about coding.) In essence, expensive keys + new rares or the extinction of the system would be the only viable options. You'd be creating a bigger problem than you're trying to fix otherwise.
I'm gonna add to this, because Cat got me thinking. It's not a fair system to continue due to the game's mechanics. What's a Stitch hat worth in Golden Snowmen? For this example let's say 20. Someone slaves over their computer for a month (realistically it would probably take a lot longer) earning those 600,000 credits to buy those snowmen, only to go and trade them to someone who managed to get a Stitch on their 6th key in their first day of playing (me) due to pure luck. I realize super rares are not the only valuable items in this game, but this game's economy makes them the endgame of valuable items. In essence, 95 percent of people who keep up with the economy essentially strive to become rich enough to own a super rare. Someone spending a huge amount of time and credits on earning this one item that was obtained by Jonny Foundakey on his first day is almost a slap in the face due to the game's current state. You might say that it's someone's choice to do such an exchange, which is entirely true, but in anyone's hindsight, you just wasted a months of your time and credits to wear Stitch's decapitated cranium on your head.

If this continues, the rich are only get richer, as they already are. Someone with a Stitch hat can get someone to undervalue their goods because the brain's argument is "you can have Stitch now, or go find 100 keys and take a chance". So now, after using all that time to get those credits, they have 2 grueling options: over-offer on this person's Stitch hat that took 45 minutes for them to obtain, or go waste another month looking for keys for the slim chance that you'll get a Stitch hat.

The luck system has too much control over the game. Let's look at the statistics and how people misunderstand them. It's very common to think with a 1/100 chance of finding a Stitch hat (assuming the game uses a simple RNG like everyone says), using 100 keys should yield one. Before committing to something like finding 100 keys, do yourself a favor and go to random.org and click the generate button on the right side. Assign a number to your Stitch hat (1, 48, 85, doesn't matter, you have an equal chance of rolling all of them.) Keep track of how many rolls it takes to get your Stitch hat. Some people may get it within 5 rolls, for others it may take 200-300+. Do this multiple times, because if you get it within your first 10 rolls or so, you've most likely just convinced yourself to waste your time collecting keys to have those same chances. It doesn't work like that.

Here's a simple way to change your perception on that 1/100 chance. Ignore the 100 as the amount of keys you have; it's irrelevant. Think of it simply as an RNG, just prettied up with animated keys and crates. You have a 1/100 of getting that Stitch hat with each key, that does not mean you have a 100 percent chance of getting one with 100 keys. What most people don't realize is that that statistic applies to every key you use. Do not think of the 100 as the amount of keys it would take, you will trick yourself. You could use 1000 keys and not get a Stitch hat because that RNG didn't roll your number, and it would be completely fair, because 1/100 does not mean what you think it means. You could get Stitch on your first key and it would be completely fair. You could get all four super rares in a row, as slim a chance as that is, and it'd be completely fair because statistics are deceiving.

So here's what I think has happened and what should happen. I don't know what the staff's intentions were/are on the game's economy, but despite all I've said, they're doing a good job of regulating it. They know it's probably the biggest reason people play the game, and recreating this economy can't be an easy job for any of them (and personally I think that the problem at hand is minuscule compared to what this game could've been in other people's hands.) Point is, the economy needed to be started somehow. The game is relatively new. It needed to include items of all different rarities to capture the essence of what everyone wanted back: the original VMK. The fact of it is is that this system of sheer luck was/is almost a necessity, but it didn't/doesn't have to be the only method of obtaining what we all hold on a pedestal. Credits are a huge part of the game, they tie into mini games and NPC interaction, and of course you use them to buy and sell things. While there are things that have become rare after being on sale, it currently doesn't have a reliable or predictable effect on the economy (which a crate + key system with an RNG does excellently), but it can. Hard work should pay off in this game.

There are a few important things both the luck system and the work system do: they directly affect a player's lifespan. As I said before, I uncrated my Stitch hat with my 6th key on my first day of playing. I'm not saying all players are like me, but the hard truth is that I wouldn't have continued to play if I had no reason to. My intentions were to revisit VMK for a day or two for my memory's sake, but all of the sudden, I meant something to the economy of the game. I could do anything I wanted with this hat because people wanted it. I had the single most demanded item in the game (at the time at least, there were 20-something in the game.) I wasn't just going to quit with all that power. So I played more, and made friends. Two days later I gave my Stitch hat to Shrimp, because she's awesome, and now Stitch wasn't the only thing keeping me playing. The key and crate system hooked me and the Stitch hat reeled me in. Humans like taking chances and gambling; it's one of our basic human natures.

While my example of me giving away my super rare isn't great, what does this mean for someone who never got one and really wants one? They have the same chances as me so why can't they get it on their 6th key? Because statistics deceive you. We are curious, but we also learn. After 30, 40, or 50 keys, clamming and Fireworks doesn't seem so desirable anymore. Keys and crates are worthless to you. For persistent people who made it to 100+ keys, they're story is much more sad.

But, while collecting those keys, you also collected credits, right? So you can go off and buy... a Gold Snowman... with credits that took you two weeks to earn. Oh, and it's worth just a small sliver of my Stitch hat that Lady Luck gave me. So do that for a little (read: lot) longer, and MAYBE you'll find someone who wants to trade their Stitch hat for your Snowmen. That's what credits are worth to the game.

Unless we give credits a more important purpose.

Put super rares on sale. For the sake of avoiding controversy and complete outrage, retire the current ones and don't put them in the catalog. Let the lucky have their cake and eat it just this once, but change the way this stuff happens from now on. Crates are still very important to a lot of people though, so maybe I don't think we should get rid of them. People like gambling and that's fine. But maybe this time, add some Gold Ears to the game, put them in the shop for 300k (or whatever it would take to make them super rare material), slap them in crates as well, who cares. Give them 1/200 chance of being found maybe. This way, people can work for their wealth or gamble for it. This is a game after all, we shouldn't condemn people's choices or take away their ability to choose. It's a trivial factor in the grand scheme of things, as long as every player with a different preference has an equal chance at success. You could spend a month of credits on some Gold Ears, or uncrate them after collecting a month's worth of keys. Everyone who wants to work wins. If you don't want to work hard for your success, you should learn to be content with your crate chances because you have no room to complain. There will, of course, be people with great luck uncrating them on their 6th key, but that's the luck of the draw. Choose whether you want to work towards your goal with a guaranteed outcome (credits), or whether you want to try your luck at cutting the time and effort in half (uncrating). Luck applies to so many things in life and there's no reason we should take that excitement out of the game. In the event of that, we'll continue the same controversy, in contrary fashion.

This is one of those situations that can be solved in everyone's favor. Give us variety and choices, and the game and the people will flourish.

(Sorry for the huge post, they upped my ADHD medicine today :v)

Cat

20 keys is too easy to retrieve, so "redeeming" items would only cause further conflicts.
'tis why I said that I was unsure of the rates. I would personally be okay with redeeming 100 keys for a super rare, as it's a guaranteed chance of winning.
Some could say that one could trade 100 keys for a super, but few people would actually do this, and even then, they're difficult to find.

However, I do agree with the point you made in that selling keys will not increase anyone's chances, just empty their pockets.

I'm gonna add to this, because Cat got me thinking. It's not a fair system to continue due to the game's mechanics. What's a Stitch hat worth in Golden Snowmen? For this example let's say 20. Someone slaves over their computer for a month (realistically it would probably take a lot longer) earning those 600,000 credits to buy those snowmen, only to go and trade them to someone who managed to get a Stitch on their 6th key in their first day of playing (me) due to pure luck. I realize super rares are not the only valuable items in this game, but this game's economy makes them the endgame of valuable items. In essence, 95 of people who keep up with the economy essentially strive to become rich enough to own a super rare. Someone spending a huge amount of time and credits on earning this one item that was obtained by Jonny Foundakey on his first day is almost a slap in the face due to the game's current state. You might say that it's someone's choice to do such an exchange, which is entirely true, but in anyone's hindsight, you just wasted a months of your time and credits to wear Stitch's decapitated cranium on your head.

Put super rares on sale. For the sake of avoiding controversy and complete outrage, retire the current ones and don't put them in the catalog. Let the lucky have their cake and eat it just this once, but change the way this stuff happens from now on. Crates are still very important to a lot of people though, so maybe I don't think we should get rid of them. People like gambling and that's fine. But maybe this time, add some Gold Ears to the game, put them in the shop for 300k (or whatever it would take to make them super rare material), slap them in crates as well, who cares. Give them 1/200 chance of being found maybe. This way, people can work for their wealth or gamble for it. This is a game after all, we shouldn't condemn people's choices or take away their ability to choose. You could spend a month of credits on some Gold Ears, or uncrate them after collecting a month's worth of keys. Everyone wins. There will people with great luck uncrating them on their 6th key, but that's the luck of the draw. Luck applies to so many things in life and theirs no reason we should take that excitement out of the game. In the even of that, we'll continue the same controversy, in contrary fashion.

This is one of those situations that can be solved in everyone's favor. Give us variety and choices, and the game and the people will flourish.

(Sorry for the huge post, they upped my ADHD medicine today :v)

You beautiful person, you.
Agree 120 percent

sabby

:( I don't really like the whole key crate thing since it is all based on luck and not hard work, It can be a bit disheartening. You could work so hard and get 500 keys and still not get a super-rare item . Maybe to keep things rare just put them on sale but for a high price, that way only hardworking and dedicated players who really want the items get them. For example how the gold snowman is now 30,000 credits. Why not make Stitch or Minnie hats 100,000 - 200,000 credits or something.. then they would still be ''super-rare'', but people could still get the old items they had on vmk back if they really worked hard. Maybe keep the keys and crate too but only to give out credits randomly, that way they would still be helpful towards getting super-rares but it wouldn't be impossible to get them without keys.

I think making keys buy-able is a bad idea because it would give a monetary value to the keys. So far in this game, keys have served as a secondary currency, with a floating price-tag depending on supply and demand. If it were a buy-able, that price would stay pretty much stagnant. The only solution to this would be having the key price-tag exceeding its current floating price-tag. For instance, if a key is worth 6000 credits right now trade-wise, I would suggest selling it in the store for 12000. That way, the key is available to those who want to buy it, and the trade value of the key is not damaged by it. Also, it would promote trading for the keys because it would be cheaper to trade than to buy them.

No matter what, I think the current ways to receive keys should stay intact.

On another note, I don't think Crate #1 should be retired. Instead, if a new crate is released, both can be prizes. So, sometimes you get Crate #1, and sometimes you get Crate #2 (or whatever it'll be called). Or, Crate #1 could be sold in stores. And it wouldn't hurt the rarity of the current super rares because most people will be trying to get the super rares from Crate #2. But, Crate #1 prizes would still be available to people that really want Stitch or Minnie and such.

Just my 2 cents, and it's just suggestions. I'm sure whatever the staff decides to do will be great.

FYI, make sure you aren't thinking selfishly when making suggestions. (Not talking to anyone in particular). On the original VMK, we didn't have the ability to make suggestions like this on a forum and get feedback. These staff members are going out of their way to make the game as great as they can, tailored to our wants, and I think we should be thankful for everything they've done for us.

Poptarrts

J e n i s e e ;*xo
If they sell keys, people with 100k+ will be able to buy vast amounts of keys.
I think it should just stay the same, honestly.

JessieMel

Keep things as is.

Reason NOT to sell keys or crates:

1) Players who play games better/more will have more credits then players who play casually. They will be able to buy more keys and take more chances at rares. In this way, they will end up with more rares just based on statistical likelihood. They can trade the rares for more rares and take even greater control of the economy.(the random noob winning a minnie hat is the great equalizer, you can't buy your way around that now)

2) Players who do not play much, kids who are not well informed on statistical likelihood of winning and gamblers will buy keys at the expense of other items, clothing, magic and room items. They are unlikely to make guest rooms, games and may become less interactive/social. This leads to more antisocial players. The casual player is the most social ATM.

3) Players will just grind for credits to win keys to take chances at winning rares. They are already antisocial and this will not help them interact. They grind for keys as it is. Trading the struggle to win credits for the struggle to win keys isn't an upgrade. Totally lateral motion.

The solution is clear, leave the crates and keys as is. Add rares but don't remove them. Change base items to seasonals. Make that 30K monstrosity gold snowman a rare win. With the current cost of holiday items, no one wants to split their money between room items and keys. Room items mean guest rooms. Guest rooms mean having guests over and socializing. Isn't that what we are trying to increase here? More games to make credits are fine but player retention is based on interpersonal relationships. This game is not as "sticky" as it could be, new players are easily bored. Casual players find themselves marginalized by the "rich" and the "collectors".

Great post!!

My 2 cents.

EDIT:

I totally agree with this. I feel if you guys retire the current rares (Minnie, Stitch, Leroy, Pink/Green Flips) you are going to upset a lot of people. If you put them in the catalog at crazy prices, how can we ever save up for Christmas items like the gold snowman. I vote keep the current system but maybe make it more easy to obtain these rares. I think whatever you decide someone will be upset but like I said please don't retire these current rares. Thanx.

I just...I just...I just want to decorate my rooms with something other than ORANGE HEART CHAIRS!!!

I don't want to ride through JC 200 times a day like a real JC Skipper, either. Ain't nobody got time for this. :thumbsdown:

These "chance" crates have become the center of the economy and it's disheartening and extremely stressful. The hard work goes into gambling. I just want to have fun and have time to hang out with my friends. Get to make awesome rooms...frolic in a Minnie...own a 5* magic...and all without having to sell my soul for the keys/credits. That's it. All I want. *shrug*

Sterek

Overly Obsessive Fan
I just...I just...I just want to decorate my rooms with something other than ORANGE HEART CHAIRS!!!

I don't want to ride through JC 200 times a day like a real JC Skipper, either. Ain't nobody got time for this. :thumbsdown:

These "chance" crates have become the center of the economy and it's disheartening and extremely stressful. The hard work goes into gambling. I just want to have fun and have time to hang out with my friends. Get to make awesome rooms...frolic in a Minnie...own a 5* magic...and all without having to sell my soul for the keys/credits. That's it. All I want. *shrug*