Disney Channel Introduces Gay's

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravebound

not actually a grave
I agree with this 100%.

I feel like, although it isn't bad for somebody to be anything other then heterosexual, ideas regarding sexuality shouldn't be broadcasted on a network geared towards children. The stereotypical, welcomed-by-society image of a couple is a man and a woman, which is what should be put on television shows that are geared towards entertainment.

I think children should definitely be introduced to the ideas of homosexuality and heterosexuality, but Disney is not necessarily the place for this.

I have nothing against people who are homosexual, it's just that Disney channel isn't the place to introduce ideas other then the commonly thought of idea that is a man and a woman.
yes but that brings us back to all the kids who grow up not feeling straight and having no idea what to do about it and even fall into self-hate because they don't know what they're feeling is acceptable or is even a thing to begin with because they never saw anyone like themselves growing up, or they have a parent like OP.

Yurgle

yes but that brings us back to all the kids who grow up not feeling straight and having no idea what to do about it and even fall into self-hate because they don't know what they're feeling is acceptable or is even a thing to begin with because they never saw anyone like themselves growing up, or they have a parent like OP.
Yeah, I definitely see your point here. It's just a complicated subject, I guess? We're in a weird point in history when different ideas are being integrated into our society, and it's kind of a bumpy transition.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
Sounds like Disney is (rightfully) introducing itself into a culture that is accepting of everyone, no matter what their preferences are. This entire post sounds extremely judgmental of L/G's, and it's Disney's decision whether or not it wants to break societal norms. I think Disney did a good job of actually putting a same-sex couple on a show, and it shows kids that everyone can be accepting.

VampireBoy

I agree with this 100%.

I feel like, although it isn't bad for somebody to be anything other then heterosexual, ideas regarding sexuality shouldn't be broadcasted on a network geared towards children. The stereotypical, welcomed-by-society image of a couple is a man and a woman, which is what should be put on television shows that are geared towards entertainment.

I think children should definitely be introduced to the ideas of homosexuality and heterosexuality, but Disney is not necessarily the place for this.

I have nothing against people who are homosexual, it's just that Disney channel isn't the place to introduce ideas other then the commonly thought of idea that is a man and a woman.
See that is basically all I am saying I am not going to judge but Disney Channel is definitely not the place for that it is the place for Mickey Mouse.

gravebound

not actually a grave
Yeah, I definitely see your point here. It's just a complicated subject, I guess? We're in a weird point in history when different ideas are being integrated into our society, and it's kind of a bumpy transition.
yes, but just because the transition is bumpy doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

the ideas have always been there, it's just now there's more and more people accepting of them instead of trying to stifle them.

Noir

Pumpkin Queen
To add, Disney also has loosely organized "Gay Days" among the kingdoms, and the employees in the parks know very well about it but have not stopped it, its been going on since the 90's or something. So, if they dont care about that, why should they care about their tv channel?

VampireBoy

If straight couples can be shown on disney channel, gay couples should be as well. Equality should be taught to people of all ages.
Yes but that is never want Disney Channel was meant to be in the first place and I am pretty sure Mr. Disney is rolling around in his grave right now.

Yes but that is never want Disney Channel was meant to be in the first place and I am pretty sure Mr. Disney is rolling around in his grave right now.
So Disney Channel isn't meant to be a positive influence on peoples lives? If Disney Channel can make jokes about eating disorders, I think it's okay to show gay couples.

gravebound

not actually a grave
i'm pretty sure mr. disney started rolling when we introduced a black princess.

regardless, there's no reason for dc not to be a place of acceptance. every place should be a place of acceptance, for anything, not just lgbtq+, but races, genders, and religions(and lack thereof).

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I have to admit there are some great points made here but still because of Disney doing this a whole bunch of chaos and drama is about to rain on them.
The same thing happened to Cheerios when they made a commercial where the mother was white, and the father was black, and the child was mixed. It was an adorable commercial about how the daughter wanted to help her father's heart stay healthy so she poured cheerios over his chest while he napped.

People blew up over that because anything they don't agree with, they latch on to it like parasites and suck all the purity out of it until there's nothing left. People can't just live and let live. :/

gravebound

not actually a grave
The same thing happened to Cheerios when they made a commercial where the mother was white, and the father was black, and the child was mixed. It was an adorable commercial about how the daughter wanted to help her father's heart stay healthy so she poured cheerios over his chest while he napped.

People blew up over that because anything they don't agree with, they latch on to it like parasites and suck all the purity out of it until there's nothing left. People can't just live and let live. :/
i wish i could like or thumbs up posts, bc you people are lovely.

VampireBoy

You all have some very good opinions on this and I see that some of us agree it should be on Disney Channel and some don't but either way it just really all depends on what you want your children to know and what you don't want them to know and when you want to tell them.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
I'm straight and a Christian and I support gay rights, but I think it was a very good idea. It's not anything different from straight couples on those shows kissing, really. Parents need to loosen up and not get butthurt over this. Their kids hear and see it in school and when surfing the internet, there really shouldn't be a controversy over this. Parents need to suck it up. Disney Channel's dead as it gets anyway. It's gone way downhill.

VampireBoy

I'm straight and a Christian and I support gay rights, but I think it was a very good idea. It's not anything different from straight couples on those shows kissing, really. Parents need to loosen up and not get butthurt over this. Their kids hear and see it in school and when surfing the internet, there really shouldn't be a controversy over this. Parents need to suck it up. Disney Channel's dead as it gets anyway. It's gone way downhill.
Well I have to admit that is the truth and I should know because I learned about Gays and about Sex from kids at school although my parents were very angry about that because they wanted to tell me all this when I was 13.

They don't teach children about straight couples so why teach them about gay couples, love is love eventually they will know that it's perfectly normal :)

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Disney Channel was meant to be a way to entertain children and teach them values and morals in a way they will understand as they grow. Disney Channel has evolved quite a bit over the years. When I was a kid it was majorly cartoons that were wholesome and entertaining. Now a days it's just prefabricated recycled shows for teenagers that are mindnumbingly dreadful. (IMO). That has everything to do with the route the network has taken in terms of upgrading their entertainment, and nothing at all to do with the KIND of people they are incorporating.

If back in the day Goofy had a boyfriend, I can definitely tell you people would have been up in arms then too. But the kids today would have grown up with more exposure to it and would have learned that it does exist, people are this way, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Mr. Disney frequently used racial slurs and smoked like a chimney. I really don't think he would care that the network his company created incorporated a lesbian couple in to a TV show, I think the bigger picture of how awful the network has become with it's content is the problem.

gravebound

not actually a grave
They don't teach children about straight couples so why teach them about gay couples, love is love eventually they will know that it's perfectly normal :)
they don't explicitly teach about them, no. but straight is presented as the default, the normal. if it weren't, then yes that would be lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.