"Black" vs "African American"

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

First off, I would like to state that I am NOT a racist in any way, shape, or form.
I would like to hear everyone's stance on the issue of it being acceptable to call dark skin toned people "black", or it not being socially acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHO

I'm white and don't see a problem. You're black and I'm white. I don't see anyone complaining about African Americans not calling white people "Caucasian".

Monorail

Not sure how much this will add to the topic, or my stance, but when I hear people call others "African-American," I usually hear it in a connotation to the likes of, "I'd call you black, but I feel like that'd offend you."

Just a thought of mine.

Whispered

My stance (don't hate) is that if they call each other something then they shouldn't get mad when others call them it. I very rarely hear a person of any color refer to themselves as a long name - mostly I hear Black (or another bad word).

What gets me is (just as another example) when gay men call each other f--s or the long form and then get mad when others do???? like, if it's disrespectful for me to call you it, it's disrespectful for you to call your friend it...

allison

I agree. Plus, a lot of black people do come from places like Haiti and Jamaica, and I feel like they would be insulted if they were referred to as African American.

It just depends on how the term is used. I can tell negative connotation from a mile away.

----------

Not every black person is African American. Not every African American is black.

That's really all I have to say :)
but isn't everyone who was born in America, "African American" ;)

----------

My stance (don't hate) is that if they call each other something then they shouldn't get mad when others call them it. I very rarely hear a person of any color refer to themselves as a long name - mostly I hear Black (or another bad word).

What gets me is (just as another example) when gay men call each other f--s or the long form and then get mad when others do???? like, if it's disrespectful for me to call you it, it's disrespectful for you to call your friend it...
So it's ok to call me the n word because other black people call each other the n word?

It all has to do with tone of voice I guess.
I'm Caribbean-American so I'm not really offended by being called African-American; it's just an incorrect statement.
I do have to agree as well that not all African-Americans are Black being that Africa is pretty diverse.

allison

It just depends on how the term is used. I can tell negative connotation from a mile away.

----------

Not every black person is African American. Not every African American is black.

----------

So it's ok to call me the n word because other black people call each other the n word?

I think what whispered is trying to say is, the double standard is wrong. Of course I could be wrong.

Then that was worded badly and just by the (don't get offended), i got offended.

It's kind of like "no offense but im about to say something really racist but i warned you beforehand"

----------

As far as the "N-word" goes, I seldom here someone who isn't "Black" use the n-word in a way that isn't derogatory.
I've got plenty of white friends who only use it in song (e.g. popular rap).

----------

It all has to do with tone of voice I guess.
I'm Caribbean-American so I'm not really offended by being called African-American; it's just an incorrect statement.
I do have to agree as well that not all African-Americans are Black being that Africa is pretty diverse.
eh i feel like thats semantics. my mother was born in england, my dad in trinidad. What do i go by on paper? African-American (or black tbh). We originated there.

Well I usually just check off other or Caribbean American since some forms do have that now. And if we went by where we originated, all Americans would have have to refer to themselves as African American.
Besides that, I know nothing of the African Culture of my ancestors. But if you drop me off in Trinidad I could be your tour guide show you all the sites tell you where to get a nice roti.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I don't think it's bad to call them any of the two. I'm white (despite my avatar, I just like Nyjer Morgan OK) and I don't mind if you call me white or Caucasian, it's just what I am.

Well I usually just check off other or Caribbean American since some forms do have that now. And if we went by where we originated, all Americans would have have to refer to themselves as African American.
Besides that, I know nothing of the African Culture of my ancestors. But if you drop me off in Trinidad I could be your tour guide show you all the sites tell you where to get a nice roti.
we might need to hook up then because i love roti <3

----------

anyway, a good question is why can't we just all refer to ourselves as American? why does there need to be any other separation?

EXACTLY!
I'm biracial, but not from Africa at all. I'm from the Bahamas/Jamaica/Haiti (unknown bc adopted)

Not Africa.

[/COLOR]

this is just a tad offensive. lolllllllllllllllllll.

Whispered

No, but if you call others the n word, then you cannot take offense when someone directs it back at you. That's a case-by-case issue, not a "one black person called another the n word, I can call all of you it". For the record I don't call people that - I disagree with a black person calling their friends black then taking offense when a white person calls them it.

allison

we might need to hook up then because i love roti <3

----------

anyway, a good question is why can't we just all refer to ourselves as American? why does there need to be any other separation?

I agree. We should all be equal in that sense. Unfortunately, though, affirmative action exists, which sucks, but what are you gonna do about it.

No, but if you call others the n word, then you cannot take offense when someone directs it back at you. That's a case-by-case issue, not a "one black person called another the n word, I can call all of you it". For the record I don't call people that - I disagree with a black person calling their friends black then taking offense when a white person calls them it.
which has a lot to do with taking back a derogatory term, but i don't agree with anyone using it. It just shows ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.