"Black" vs "African American"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Personally I don't understand why we even class them as "black" since they're really any shade of brown from light to dark. My family calls our friend milk chocolate.

So it really depends on the person you're talking to sometimes in how you reference their skin color.
I've called my friend caramel cream before haha. She was a lighter tone of brown and a lot of people thought she was hispanic. She had no problem with it, in fact she liked it.

----------

I'm stating my own person opinion so I'm well within my own rights to express what I personally think is or isn't racist. You don't have to agree but you have no right to dictate what I can and can't think thank you.
Just because you don't think something is racist doesn't mean it's not. lol
And just because you think it is, doesn't mean it is either. Unless there's a handbook outlining what terms are racist, it's entirely all based on perspective and personal experience.
If the person it's about finds it offensive, it's racist. lol
But not everyone finds the same thing racist or offensive? Racism is subjective.
Exactly, like I said it's all personal perspective and interpretation.
Yeah, but it's not your personal perspective. You can't say something like "I don't think calling someone the N-word is racist" because it's not about you. So you can't decide if it's racist or not. lol
So because I'm white I can't have a personal opinion? That in itself could be considered racist depending on how that person takes it. I'm entitled to a personal opinion regardless of the color of my skin, just like anyone else. My personal opinion doesn't dictate that it's okay to call anyone a derogatory term like the "N-word", but even if it did I'd still have the right to my opinion regardless of whether I'm white, purple, blue, black, yellow, or orange.
Yes you're white so you can't decide what's racist to African Americans. If you want to decide if calling you the c-word is racist, that's different because it's about you.
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

karkat

Personally I don't understand why we even class them as "black" since they're really any shade of brown from light to dark. My family calls our friend milk chocolate.

So it really depends on the person you're talking to sometimes in how you reference their skin color.
I've called my friend caramel cream before haha. She was a lighter tone of brown and a lot of people thought she was hispanic. She had no problem with it, in fact she liked it.

----------

I'm stating my own person opinion so I'm well within my own rights to express what I personally think is or isn't racist. You don't have to agree but you have no right to dictate what I can and can't think thank you.
And just because you think it is, doesn't mean it is either. Unless there's a handbook outlining what terms are racist, it's entirely all based on perspective and personal experience.
But not everyone finds the same thing racist or offensive? Racism is subjective.
Yeah, but it's not your personal perspective. You can't say something like "I don't think calling someone the N-word is racist" because it's not about you. So you can't decide if it's racist or not. lol
So because I'm white I can't have a personal opinion? That in itself could be considered racist depending on how that person takes it. I'm entitled to a personal opinion regardless of the color of my skin, just like anyone else. My personal opinion doesn't dictate that it's okay to call anyone a derogatory term like the "N-word", but even if it did I'd still have the right to my opinion regardless of whether I'm white, purple, blue, black, yellow, or orange.
yeah ur allowed to have an opinion, but an opinion can be wrong
and u need 2 be ready to defend it or change it
opinions dont exist in a state of stasis

WHO

----------

Yes you're white so you can't decide what's racist to African Americans. If you want to decide if calling you the c-word is racist, that's different because it's about you.
How can you even defend that concept? Like who are you to decide whats racist or best for someone who isn't you?

Exodus

----------

How can you even defend that concept? Like who are you to decide whats racist or best for someone who isn't you?
The court of law has to judge what is racist and what isn't when dealing with crimes based on racism. So in a way... the outcomes of those cases give the public a "standard" of what something could be borderline racist or not.

WHO

----------

The court of law has to judge what is racist and what isn't when dealing with crimes based on racism. So in a way... the outcomes of those cases give the public a "standard" of what something could be borderline racist or not.
Are we talking about racism with law or moral racism?

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

----------

I don't have anything more to say to you on this subject. Like I said we're going to have to agree to disagree because we don't see eye to eye and going on for another 5 pages of discussing this isn't going to change that. So I respectfully accept your opinion even though I don't agree with it. But that's all I have to say on the matter at this point :).

LooseSeal

Once again I'm too lazy to actually go through all of the replies in this thread, but to address the main question being posed: I actually think that "black" is the more P.C. thing now since "African American" does not really apply to everyone who might identify as black. In my classes, I constantly see studies/graphs which identify participants as "black" rather than African American. Of course, race is only a social construct but there are many disparities in terms of things like health, income, etc. once you take race into account.

Exodus

----------

Are we talking about racism with law or moral racism?
I'm pretty sure what the court of law defines as racism can be an influence on what we subjectively find racist.

WHO

----------

I don't have anything more to say to you on this subject. Like I said we're going to have to agree to disagree because we don't see eye to eye and going on for another 5 pages of discussing this isn't going to change that. So I respectfully accept your opinion even though I don't agree with it. But that's all I have to say on the matter at this point :).
So you lost the debate. If you're not going to debate your side then you have no reason to be debating in the first place. This is the debate forum. Not "share your opinions and agree to disagree thread" if you can prove me wrong, try.

Exodus

----------

So you lost the debate. If you're not going to debate your side then you have no reason to be debating in the first time. This is the debate forum. Not "share your opinions and agree to disagree thread" if you can prove me wrong, try.
That is so childish. Yuna has made her point very clear. You simply don't see her point of view or try to understand and are just simply firm on your argument therefore it's just repeating the same thing between the both of you. So it's just best to agree to disagree.

karkat

----------

there u go trying to get the last word again and seemingly come out on top when you're in the wrong

WHO

----------

So you lost the debate. If you're not going to debate your side then you have no reason to be debating in the first time. This is the debate forum. Not "share your opinions and agree to disagree thread" if you can prove me wrong, try.
That is so childish. Yuna has made her point very clear. You simply don't see her point of view or try to understand and are just simply firm on your argument therefore it's just repeating the same thing between the both of you. So it's just best to agree to disagree.
Are you Yuna's spokesperson? She can defend herself.

I asked questions. This is the debate forum. This isn't a forum to come share your opinions and not debate them. lol

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

----------

Thank you for understanding :cloud: I'm glad someone is mature and respectful enough to see that.

allison

I don't think that this forum is meant for "winning" or "losing" debates, as we don't have an impartial mediator. It's not fair for someone to proclaim themselves the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHO

I don't think that this forum is meant for "winning" or "losing" debates, as we don't have an impartial mediator. It's not fair for someone to proclaim themselves the winner.

You're right it's not. It's to debate. Most of these topics are never ending. But if you don't debate your side or opinion, you ultimately lose. Speak up or don't.

allison

You're right it's not. It's to debate. Most of these topics are never ending. But if you don't debate your side or opinion, you ultimately lose. Speak up or don't.

No, not at all actually. There are some people who keep beating around the bush, and will not stop doing so. The other person in the debate may get tired of it, so instead of wasting their time trying to get a direct answer they will never get, they will just stop.

WHO

No, not at all actually. There are some people who keep beating around the bush, and will not stop doing so. The other person in the debate may get tired of it, so instead of wasting their time trying to get a direct answer they will never get, they will just stop.

aka. they lose the debate. People don't go to town hall and just stop debating whenever they feel like it and say "agree to disagree". That's not how you debate.

allison

aka. they lose the debate. People don't go to town hall and just stop debating whenever they feel like it and say "agree to disagree". That's not how you debate.

I think you're taking this "winning" and "losing" thing way too seriously. You can have your own opinion, but these forums are not set up so that someone wins or loses. Now on the openvmk forums, I believe the debate section was mediated, but this isn't the case.

Noir

Pumpkin Queen
I think that people can be called whatever they wish to be called themselves. It shouldn't be about what society thinks is acceptable or not, it should only be about what each person on their own wishes to be addressed as.

Also, why are you people turning this debate into a debate about debating? Are we really that sad?

Status
Not open for further replies.