Disneyland is doing tests for MagicBand technology

CoocooIcjscal

WDW already does this. I just used it this weekend. It's easier, and makes it so you don't have to hold on to/ grab your fast pass every time you try to use your fast pass. It's also good because you can attach your credit card to it to pay for items at any park, or at any disney world shops in Orlando.

Last edited:

Bindingkey

For now, apparently this test will only be done at Space Mountain and they're only implementing FastPasses with barcodes. To blatantly state this: Disneyland is only implementing the technology, and no one has officially stated whether or not MyMagic+ or MagicBands are the end result of this test.

"nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is my initial response, mainly because of all the negative comments I've heard about the magic bands (having to plan out your day weeks ahead of time? Only a few fastpasses a day?) Also, I hate wearing anything on my wrists, so I'd probably just shove it in a bag. To me, that's far easier to lose than a bit of paper than can slip down next to my pass in my little Fastpass/ticket holder that's a keychain on my Disney bag.

However, they seem to have already been testing/implementing the concept of the system through the disability pass. For the past eight months or so, they've been validating passes for 30-60 days for disability assistance, and then scanning them for rides. You simply tell a guest services what ride you want, they check the wait time, then scan your party's tickets. You wait half (to 3/4ths) of the wait time, then you go through the exit or through the Fastpass line, whichever is easier for the one that requires the assistance.
Before that it was a paper card, but people kept falsifying them and abusing the system. It's worked quite well, so perhaps Disneyland's might be a modification of that same system?

Bindingkey

"nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is my initial response, mainly because of all the negative comments I've heard about the magic bands (having to plan out your day weeks ahead of time? Only a few fastpasses a day?) Also, I hate wearing anything on my wrists, so I'd probably just shove it in a bag. To me, that's far easier to lose than a bit of paper than can slip down next to my pass in my little Fastpass/ticket holder that's a keychain on my Disney bag.

However, they seem to have already been testing/implementing the concept of the system through the disability pass. For the past eight months or so, they've been validating passes for 30-60 days for disability assistance, and then scanning them for rides. You simply tell a guest services what ride you want, they check the wait time, then scan your party's tickets. You wait half (to 3/4ths) of the wait time, then you go through the exit or through the Fastpass line, whichever is easier for the one that requires the assistance.
Before that it was a paper card, but people kept falsifying them and abusing the system. It's worked quite well, so perhaps Disneyland's might be a modification of that same system?
Objectively speaking as someone who has used the MyMagic+ system numerous times (because I'm doomed to live in Florida forever), it's actually not a terrible system and people who value spontaneity when they go to Disney World are more the types of people that severely do not like the system. It does hinder your ability to be spontaneous somewhat, but imo no more than average wait times did before??? Like, yes you do have to plan reservations months in advance in order to acquire FastPasses with relative ease but I always found it to make my own ability for spontaneity and free enjoyment of the parks the moment I'm there to be enjoyable and I hardly ever complain until my FastPass time has come (and I'm running halfway across the park because I got cocky and figured, sure I'll be on time). But like, the parks have always needed proper planning to begin with and if anything the MyMagic+ and MagicBands just require a little more effort, but again nothing more than was already necessary. It's just reservations and FastPasses that now requiring planning instead of just hiking all around the park to ride rides.

Also, instead of just tossing your band into your bag, you could just like, attach it to the strap. which is what I do when my wrist gets too sweaty. I don't need to rummage through my bag for it and I can just lift it to the scanner. #MagicBand101 #TheMoreYouKnow

Objectively speaking as someone who has used the MyMagic+ system numerous times (because I'm doomed to live in Florida forever), it's actually not a terrible system and people who value spontaneity when they go to Disney World are more the types of people that severely do not like the system. It does hinder your ability to be spontaneous somewhat, but imo no more than average wait times did before??? Like, yes you do have to plan reservations months in advance in order to acquire FastPasses with relative ease but I always found it to make my own ability for spontaneity and free enjoyment of the parks the moment I'm there to be enjoyable and I hardly ever complain until my FastPass time has come (and I'm running halfway across the park because I got cocky and figured, sure I'll be on time). But like, the parks have always needed proper planning to begin with and if anything the MyMagic+ and MagicBands just require a little more effort, but again nothing more than was already necessary. It's just reservations and FastPasses that now requiring planning instead of just hiking all around the park to ride rides.

Also, instead of just tossing your band into your bag, you could just like, attach it to the strap. which is what I do when my wrist gets too sweaty. I don't need to rummage through my bag for it and I can just lift it to the scanner. #MagicBand101 #TheMoreYouKnow
Good to know!
Thank you for your insight!

I guess I'm just worried because, well, I more or less grew up in the parks as I went there at least once or twice a week before college, then I started going every other week. I've had my annual pass for almost 20 years now (it's so surreal saying that, but I've had it since I was wee,) and the idea of having to plan ahead is a change that I'm just not keen on after having so many years of unbridled freedom. Esp. when my family just decide(d/s) to go at the spur of the moment.

TOO MUCH CHANGE! -Crawls under a sofa to live with the dust bunnies.-

Bindingkey

Good to know!
Thank you for your insight!

I guess I'm just worried because, well, I more or less grew up in the parks as I went there at least once or twice a week before college, then I started going every other week. I've had my annual pass for almost 20 years now (it's so surreal saying that, but I've had it since I was wee,) and the idea of having to plan ahead is a change that I'm just not keen on after having so many years of unbridled freedom. Esp. when my family just decide(d/s) to go at the spur of the moment.

TOO MUCH CHANGE! -Crawls under a sofa to live with the dust bunnies.-
lol it's okay. it's a system that works for some and is a burden on others. technically, using the FastPass+ system can just give you a general idea of what you want to do and when you want to do it instead of using it as a planning tool, which is more or less my approach. if you get FasPasses for the three longest wait times (Magic Kingdom for example: Peter Pan, Seven Dwarfs, and Space Mountain) you don't really need to do any other types of planning other than what you want to do for food. If you want to be more spontaneous, space out your fastpasses. If you want more fastpasses, try to get times earlier in the day and get more from fastpass kiosks (again also do this as early as you can, since fastpasses can get taken up and the kiosk lines get long in the afternoon). It seems stressful, but it's very simple and very easy to get the hang of once you know what the motions are and how to sort of mold them to your own preferences. It's just very daunting at first glance because people have mixed reactions to the notion of pre-planning, but really it can be used to highlight the things about the parks you do love. I have plenty of friends that talked to me about their issues, and trust me, I completely understand your doubts lol.

rlsmelly

i'm not a fan of fastpass+ because it's very inconvenient to me at least & because they took away the option to pick what queue you want to go through at haunted mansion which isn't a problem at DL but still! that interactive queue is a disaster! but aside from FP+, i find it very convenient when i stay out there & when i pay for things! I find the band itself uncomfortable but you get used to it BUT anyways it makes sense at WDW & I think it should stay only at WDW because I don't think it would work at DL because it's dominated by AP holders who aren't going to be planning out their trips in advance! Some aspects of the technology should definitely make it over but i think FP+ should just stay where it is.

Bindingkey

wait wait wait wait wait im confsued. are they replacing magicbands with fastpasses with barcodes?

cause like...i had a magicband back in june for wdw and i love it honestly (dont criticize because i never had the luxury or experience with paper fastpass).

edit: OH OK THEYRE DOING IT IN DISNEYLAND? THE MAGIC BANDS?
No, just the technology (barcode readers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk