Dont Support Blackfish

Do you support Blackfish or do you support SeaWorld?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Myth

We should support SeaWorld because they have been changing the lives of sea animals for years by rescuing them and trying to keep these beautiful creatures from going extinct from all the pollution and other harmful things that humans are doing to the ocean making it basically unsafe for most sea life in the ocean.
They are doing the exact opposite for Orcas. They are cutting the Orcas' lifespans significantly and are hurting the ocean ecosystem by not having them in their natural habitat.

VampireBoy

You can't "shake it off as lies" if you haven't even seen it to see the physical PROOF of what is the reality.
Well if you actually read what SeaWorld had to say they actually gave a few facts and statements proving some of the stuff in Blackfish actually was lies.

Hurricane

This will have no effect on their captivity. The fact that they're not with their entire families, cannot be free and happy is very obvious. There is so much proof about how sophisticated they are and how negative their captivity is to their lives. Normal orcas in the wild can live as long as humans, even longer; orcas in captivity usually die after 8-9 years. Wild males live around 29 years on average, with a maximum of 50–60 years and wild females live an average of 50 years, with a maximum of 80–90 years.

The facts are there. You can choose to follow them or not, but an enormous group of people are fighting day and night to free the orcas. They are vital to the ocean ecosystem and they do not belong in SeaWorld or any other aquarium.
Sounds neat :)

Myth

I don't doubt that SeaWord does a lot of research and takes care of their animals. They clearly feed them well and can afford big tanks.
Orcas have been scientifically proven to have shorter lifespans in captivity. They have been proven to be driven to boredom, and gone absolutely mad while at SeaWorld.

Explain to me why Tilikum's fin is collapsed. Orca whales in the wild do not have this.
Explain why there is physical, photographic, and videotaped proof of the Orcas biting, and fighting while in their tanks.
Explain why the whales float in a corner, doing absolutely nothing, for hours and hours, when in the wild they would be swimming freely for up to 100 miles a day and at SeaWorld they just swim in circles and lose their minds?

I know you support SeaWorld and they care about their animals. But if they cared about the Orcas, they'd free them. They do not belong in captivity and I will go on and on for hours until you realize this.

Do you care more about human wealth and entertainment than you do animals who deeply need freedom?
SeaWorld truly only wants them because they are beautiful, incredible creatures and they put on quite a show. Are they happy and love it? No. They are dying to get out.[DOUBLEPOST=1408681084][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well if you actually read what SeaWorld had to say they actually gave a few facts and statements proving some of the stuff in Blackfish actually was lies.
SeaWorld is only trying to keep some fans because their annual attendance rates and income have significantly dropped. They want money and they want people to come to their park for money. People refuse to go there after watching Blackfish.[DOUBLEPOST=1408681181][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't make a thread about a highly controversial topic when you can't support your thesis with any proof or evidence.
I am deeply attached to Cetaceans and I care a lot about their physical and mental health. And SeaWorld is not helping them there.

Last edited:

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I don't doubt that SeaWord does a lot of research and takes care of their animals. They clearly feed them well and can afford big tanks.
Orcas have been scientifically proven to have shorter lifespans in captivity. They have been proven to be driven to boredom, and gone absolutely mad while at SeaWorld.

Explain to me why Tillicum's fin is collapsed. Orca whales in the wild do not have this.
Explain why there is physical, photographic, and videotaped proof of the Orcas biting, and fighting while in their tanks.
Explain why the whales float in a corner, doing absolutely nothing, for hours and hours, when in the wild they would be swimming freely for up to 100 miles a day and at SeaWorld they just swim in circles and lose their minds?

I know you support SeaWorld and they care about their animals. But if they cared about the Orcas, they'd free them. They do not belong in captivity and I will go on and on for hours until you realize this.

Do you care more about human wealth and entertainment than you do animals who deeply need freedom?
SeaWorld truly only wants them because they are beautiful, incredible creatures and they put on quite a show. Are they happy and love it? No. They are dying to get out.[DOUBLEPOST=1408681084][/DOUBLEPOST]
SeaWorld is only trying to keep some fans because their annual attendance rates and income have significantly dropped. They want money and they want people to come to their park for money. People refuse to go there after watching Blackfish.

I'm neutral towards this argument, but I voted for Blackfish since I needed to vote. Corporations are gonna try and make money by any way, and Sea World uses orcas has their cash cow.

Last edited by a moderator:

VampireBoy

I'm neutral towards this argument, but I voted for Blackfish since I needed to vote. Corporations are gonna try and make money by any way, and Sea World uses orcas has their cash cow.
I really hate when people sit there and stereotype that SeaWorld only cares about keeping their orcas to make money seriously you people need to stop stereotyping this there are no facts towards that statement because for all you know the people of SeaWorld probably actually care a lot for these wonderful Orcas they have.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I really hate when people sit there and stereotype that SeaWorld only cares about keeping their orcas to make money seriously you people need to stop stereotyping this there are no facts towards that statement because for all you know the people of SeaWorld probably actually care a lot for these wonderful Orcas they have.

I looked up Seaworld. It was the second picture. Sure, Seaworld tries to help in the conservation aspect and does a good job at other things. However, it's kinda silly to say that Seaworld doesn't use orcas as their marketing image, when one quick Google search brought up page after page of Seaworld and orcas.

Last edited:

Myth

The Orcas are the primary moneymaker for them. Without the Orcas, they would lose a TON of their profits. This is why they are so defensive about Blackfish -- they don't want to go out of business for losing a huge portion of their profits.

It's all about money to them.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
lol this is the same argument circus people get all the time with the "animal and elephant abuse." As someone who is actively in the circus community with family and friends who are multi generation animal trainers, I can say that these movies like "blackflish" can be very very very very convincing to those who are easily misguided and unwilling to do research. I'm not siding with either Seaworld or the film as I haven't really researched the topic as much as I could. However, just be aware that just because the film is sad and seemingly convincing, doesn't mean it should be taken as a fact.

Again, I don't know the true story and can only hope that these beautiful animals are receiving the best care possible.

EDIT: For those interested to seeing my response a thread similar to this, see below. Hopefully this gives some guidance on how there's a massive misconception for how animals are treated and cared for in situations like this. Before you read, please remember that as stated before, this is just an example and does not specifically have to do with the topic of SeaWorld.

Because my family owns our own circus and have collectively been in the business for over 40+ years, I know the ins, outs, and secrets of most circuses around the world. In addition, my mom used to be a clown and rode an elephant with Ringling Bros. for 3 years, and 99% of our friends are still involved with internationally acclaimed circuses that use animals. One of my best friends is the head of promotion for Feld Entertainment (who manages Disney On Ice, Disney Live, Monster Jam, and more specifically Ringling Bros (who has been under fire for years in regards to animal abuse)).

I don't know how much I can say in regards to specific incidents but I will try and fill you in on as much as I possibly can.

In regards to animals being abused in circuses, truly and honestly, there's very very very little incidents of actual abuse. And furthermore, most of the "claims" major animal rights groups have made have been legally proved to be false. Such cases included:

• PETA sending a worker in disguise to work for Ringling for several years with the sole purpose of one day stage himself abusing a group of elephants (which ended up being the controversial video that was leaked several years ago).
  • PETA sending another worker several years later to work her way backstage. Upon coming to the elephant chambers, she tried to sneak grapefruits to some of the elephants but as that's against policy, the caretakers took the grapefruits away from her, later finding out that they were filled with razors. PETA felt it was better for the animals to die a tortuous death then be "forced to perform."

These are just some of the many cases. Of course, no organization is perfect and some circuses have their rotten eggs that they must eliminate. But truly and honestly, circus people are family and the only thing they value more than their own children are their animals. I guarantee you half the people that are against animals in circuses have never actually met a real circus family that performs with animals. The animals are given royal treatment and their trainers spend years of their life loving and caring for them. You will never see a more magical bond between human and animal than you will in circuses.

I find it utterly despicable when people do absolutely 0 research on animal acts in circuses and take what they read on the internet for granted. Animals in circuses are treated better than humans are and in the cases that they are not, the people who are mishandling them are fired and legally charged heavily. We value animals with the upmost respect and many circuses rescue animals that have been abused or are unable to fend for themselves in the wild. Feld itself (Ringling) spends millions and millions of dollars every year rescuing their elephants and housing them in a facility in South Africa where they can often times return to the wild. And, in the cases that they do perform in the circus, they are NOT forced to do anything they don't want to do. And anybody who has ever worked with an elephant or wild animal knows this. Many times, animal abusers don't even make it to the court house before they are caught because the elephant just sits on them. That usually ends in death for the abuser.

So please, for the sake of everything holy, do NOT say you're against animals in circuses unless you've experienced circuses first hand and have ACTUAL knowledge on the situation.

Hurricane

If you release a orca that was born at Seaworld into the wild the chances are they would stress out way more then at Seaworld. Not many can be fully converted to the seas. Some may be too physical scared to survive without human care, Some may stress out because they are physically attached to there trainers.. To release them they would have to teach them to feed/hunt for themselves and make sure there behavior is even suitable to go into the wild, it would be a long process.. You wouldn't be able to just dump them in the ocean. lol

VampireBoy

Well I watched the video and I am still sticking with the statement that SeaWorld made in the video so I still don't support Blackfish but thanks for sharing your opinion and also wild animals can never actually be fully tamed and can attack people in both the wild and in captivity and these trainers knew those risks when they signed up.

From what I've noticed from you @DufusBoy you refuse to listen to any opposition, yet you're trying to encourage others to support you and support anyone that sides with you. The point of this is for debate, yet you deny all opposition. You've convinced me to change sides.... and side with Blackfish. Present factual statements and come back.

VampireBoy

From what I've noticed from you @DufusBoy you refuse to listen to any opposition, yet you're trying to encourage others to support you and support anyone that sides with you. The point of this is for debate, yet you deny all opposition. You've convinced me to change sides.... and side with Blackfish. Present factual statements and come back.
Excuse me but no where did I actually say I was against any of your opinions and I actually am taking these opinions into account but I still support SeaWorld because I believe in them and have faith in what they do so maybe before you sit there and claim that I am against all these opinions you should try and get your facts straight.

Myth

Well I watched the video and I am still sticking with the statement that SeaWorld made in the video so I still don't support Blackfish but thanks for sharing your opinion and also wild animals can never actually be fully tamed and can attack people in both the wild and in captivity and these trainers knew those risks when they signed up.
You have to look at the full picture.
Would you want to be locked up in a bathtub for your entire life and forced to perform for people who don't speak your language or understand you and how depressed you feel being locked up?
That's what they're going through.
It's complicated with the newer Orcas who have been born at SeaWorld because they'd need to be closely monitored for a while if they were released into the ocean, but if they were with the rest of their families they would be okay.

Tilikum on the other hand, has shown his anger towards his captivity in many ways, and also by killing people.
The only reason why they won't free him is because they force him to produce sperm so they can use it to reproduce instead of having to capture more from the wild (which they did a lot of in the past).

Think of this from the Orca's viewpoint. They belong in the ocean. Humans are being incredibly selfish with this situation and made it very complicated with money and other things.

Excuse me but no where did I actually say I was against any of your opinions and I actually am taking these opinions into account but I still support SeaWorld because I believe in them and have faith in what they do so maybe before you sit there and claim that I am against all these opinions you should try and get your facts straight.
How can you take seaworld's side and be against blackfish when you admitted to never watching blackfish?

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
You have to look at the full picture.
Would you want to be locked up in a bathtub for your entire life and forced to perform for people who don't speak your language or understand you and how depressed you feel being locked up?
That's what they're going through.
It's complicated with the newer Orcas who have been born at SeaWorld because they'd need to be closely monitored for a while if they were released into the ocean, but if they were with the rest of their families they would be okay.
What about dogs then? Should they be locked in cages? Dogs need lots and lots of exercise and should be free to run for long periods of time everyday in large spaces. However, usually they're forced to spend 90% of their life in a house, with many parts of it blocked off to the animal, resulting in a very confined space for a dog. Additionally, many animal owners don't have more than 1 or 2 pets, which means the dog is alone when it comes to terms with interaction with other animals/dogs. The same goes for tricks. Is it far (as you say) to "force to perform for people who don't speak your language or understand you and how depressed [they] feel being locked up?" Is that fair to do an animal who is sweet and loving?

I'm not taking sides whatsoever and I do not support any forms of animal cruelty. I'm simply responding to your statement which felt like it was more of an attempt at pulling heart strings than it was an actual logical answer. I think that's why so many people are misguided about situations like this because they are lead on by illogical cries of sympathy rather than actual facts. People need to be brought to knowledge on ACTUAL facts, not just the human perception of how THEY think animal life should be (as if they were in the animal's shoes). The media does it all the time, labeling things left and right because unfortunately today, it's so easy to sway somebody's opinion on a matter just by switching up the facts. If you're going to post on such a serious issue like this, please make sure all your arguments, facts, and statements can be followed up with actual facts and qualifiable research. e4d495