Dont Support Blackfish

Do you support Blackfish or do you support SeaWorld?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
I don't doubt that SeaWord does a lot of research and takes care of their animals. They clearly feed them well and can afford big tanks.
Orcas have been scientifically proven to have shorter lifespans in captivity. They have been proven to be driven to boredom, and gone absolutely mad while at SeaWorld.

Explain to me why Tilikum's fin is collapsed. Orca whales in the wild do not have this.
Explain why there is physical, photographic, and videotaped proof of the Orcas biting, and fighting while in their tanks.
Explain why the whales float in a corner, doing absolutely nothing, for hours and hours, when in the wild they would be swimming freely for up to 100 miles a day and at SeaWorld they just swim in circles and lose their minds?

I know you support SeaWorld and they care about their animals. But if they cared about the Orcas, they'd free them. They do not belong in captivity and I will go on and on for hours until you realize this.

Do you care more about human wealth and entertainment than you do animals who deeply need freedom?
SeaWorld truly only wants them because they are beautiful, incredible creatures and they put on quite a show. Are they happy and love it? No. They are dying to get out.[DOUBLEPOST=1408681084][/DOUBLEPOST]
SeaWorld is only trying to keep some fans because their annual attendance rates and income have significantly dropped. They want money and they want people to come to their park for money. People refuse to go there after watching Blackfish.[DOUBLEPOST=1408681181][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't make a thread about a highly controversial topic when you can't support your thesis with any proof or evidence.
I am deeply attached to Cetaceans and I care a lot about their physical and mental health. And SeaWorld is not helping them there.

I agree with this, and it's impossible to argue against something when you haven't watched it because you need to form your own opinions and form your own statements for the argument.

Hurricane

How can you take seaworld's side and be against blackfish when you admitted to never watching blackfish?
Because its kinda a problem when one of the pass Seaworld trainers that was on Blackfish feels deceived and said "Blackfish was a complete ‘180’ from what was originally presented to me and how things were sensationalize and exploited when they knew for a fact that it was not true."

VampireBoy

How can you take seaworld's side and be against blackfish when you admitted to never watching blackfish?
That would be because I have been watching everything they have been doing on their Twitter page and also Screamscape who by the way supports SeaWorld has been telling people exactly all the horrible things that Blackfish is actually putting SeaWorld through and about the lies Blackfish told.

The only "bad things" happening to Sea World is the fact that it's losing money and getting negative publicity over the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
If you release a orca that was born at Seaworld into the wild the chances are they would stress out way more then at Seaworld. Not many can be fully converted to the seas. Some may be too physical scared to survive without human care, Some may stress out because they are physically attached to there trainers.. To release them they would have to teach them to feed/hunt for themselves and make sure there behavior is even suitable to go into the wild, it would be a long process.. You wouldn't be able to just dump them in the ocean. lol
This is true. But some of the orcas, like Tilikum was taken from the wild as a baby. Over the past 30 years he most likely forgot everything he was taught in the wild, and got used to having everything handed to him. A possible solution to setting them back in their habitat would to train them to hunt for themselves and act like a normal orca in the wild, and this could be done in large pens (about the size of a football field) off the coast of Florida. But this would require a lot of funding and SeaWorld isn't doing too well in that field.

Navii

I have great news for you guys who support SeaWorld now this has not been confirmed but it has been said that Universal Studios is interested in buying out the SeaWorld parks so if that happens it should really help SeaWorld out in their fight against Blackfish because Universal Studios definitely has a huge advantage against Blackfish.
It would not matter who owns it, at the end of the day animals are being held captive. Captivity makes an animals lifespan very short, and Blackfish just made a movie to get everyone's attention. When you watch the show, you tend to overlook how small the pools are behind the stage. They can make the tank as big as they want, but it will never be as big as the ocean they deserve to be in.

Just my two fins.

BriarRose

☉ taurus ☽ aquarius ↑ leo
They are focused on SeaWorld because it is one of the more popular and larger places that keep giant sea creatures captive. The film was mostly focused on Tilikum the whale, a whale who has spent most of his life captive in SeaWorld so of course their focus is mostly there.
What do you mean they're saving them and keeping them safe? They are confining them to tiny tanks (taking into consideration the killer whales size and the size of the ocean), separating them from their families and forcing them to do unnatural tricks for human enjoyment.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Anyway, Orcas are SeaWorld's primary image/logo, or what they use to promote their parks, and when people catch them on video mistreating their primary cash cow it draws them away and people become disgusted. They don't want to attend a park that mistreats their animals. As what @Myth had stated, there are actual video proof of them being mistreated. Now, Blackfish may have twisted and exaggerated some things, but those videos say enough.

And the life-spans differ a lot. An orca in the wild can live as long as a human, so around 60+ years. That's a very long time. The life-span in captivity are much shorter because they're meant to swim thousands and thousands of miles a day in the ocean, but they're stuck in a cramped tank with three other orcas, and stress shortens the life too. Orcas and humans are very similar in brain functions. They yearn for their loved ones, they cry when being separated. How would you feel if you were separated from your mother when you were very young? You would be upset, right? You would yearn for your mother and it would take you a long time to get over it. Just like orcas. The mother cries for her baby when it's being separated and being sent across the country, or even world. They get angry too. Those videos of them getting feisty show that they can get fed up and stressed out from being worked too hard.

Last edited:

VampireBoy

It would not matter who owns it, at the end of the day animals are being held captive. Captivity makes an animals lifespan very short, and Blackfish just made a movie to get everyone's attention. When you watch the show, you tend to overlook how small the pools are behind the stage. They can make the tank as big as they want, but it will never be as big as the ocean they deserve to be in.

Just my two fins.
True but still we all have to wonder how SeaWorld's ways are going to change if Universal Studios actually does buy them I mean we never know they might keep the Orcas and they might not but either way I am sure Universal will love and care for these Orcas as much as they can if they do keep them. Although we have to wonder how blackfish will react if Universal Studios does buy out SeaWorld which is are they going to try to get people to boycott Universal too. Though technically when you think about it Universal definitely would have the money and the power to try to stop Blackfish mainly with most of that money coming from the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter.

Because its kinda a problem when one of the pass Seaworld trainers that was on Blackfish feels deceived and said "Blackfish was a complete ‘180’ from what was originally presented to me and how things were sensationalize and exploited when they knew for a fact that it was not true."
The main points of the documentary are true though. I'm sure a lot of it is dramatized but can't argue with the actual facts

Sophia

From what I've noticed from you @DufusBoy you refuse to listen to any opposition, yet you're trying to encourage others to support you and support anyone that sides with you. The point of this is for debate, yet you deny all opposition. You've convinced me to change sides.... and side with Blackfish. Present factual statements and come back.
Um, he literally just said he watched the video Myth told him to watch. He is listening to opposition but is he also suppose to agree? No. You have your opinion and he has his. Also, everyone is posting these "Sea World is evil" links but I checked it out and it's just some top 10 list with no real sources.
Hmm.

Navii

True but still we all have to wonder how SeaWorld's ways are going to change if Universal Studios actually does buy them I mean we never know they might keep the Orcas and they might not but either way I am sure Universal will love and care for these Orcas as much as they can if they do keep them. Although we have to wonder how blackfish will react if Universal Studios does buy out SeaWorld which is are they going to try to get people to boycott Universal too. Though technically when you think about it Universal definitely would have the money and the power to try to stop Blackfish mainly with most of that money coming from the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter.
I know you have said that you have not watched Blackfish, but any documentary is dramatized. If you actually watch it, you can see that it is not trying to get Seaworld out of business by anymeans. Blackfish put a point across that the animals, Orca's especially are not treated fairly in Seaworld. Now what is "fair" varies from person to person, which is why this thread is completely an agree to disagree. Blackfish is not trying to "boycott". They released a documentary which gave people the insight on how Orca's are treated. Yes, if they were released right now in the wild they would not survive because they are treated/fed everyday. However, all opinions aside if they were left in the wild to begin with and not bred in Seaworld, they would live almost 3x as longer. And this can go for any park, zoo, anything.

@DufusBoy, please just make sure when your starting a thread like this, you are listening and accepting both sides whether you agree with it or not. This poll is opinionated, and I would suggest you know both sides 100% before you start another thread in this manner. People agree to disagree, you have to try to accept that :)

Myth

I could argue about this for a very long time, but it's a highly controversial topic. I hope this thread gets closed, no hard feelings. There's nothing wrong with loving SeaWorld, but the Orcas shouldn't be contained when their brains are developed to be in large oceans. Just my $0.2!

VampireBoy

I know you have said that you have not watched Blackfish, but any documentary is dramatized. If you actually watch it, you can see that it is not trying to get Seaworld out of business by anymeans. Blackfish put a point across that the animals, Orca's especially are not treated fairly in Seaworld. Now what is "fair" varies from person to person, which is why this thread is completely an agree to disagree. Blackfish is not trying to "boycott". They released a documentary which gave people the insight on how Orca's are treated. Yes, if they were released right now in the wild they would not survive because they are treated/fed everyday. However, all opinions aside if they were left in the wild to begin with and not bred in Seaworld, they would live almost 3x as longer. And this can go for any park, zoo, anything.

@DufusBoy, please just make sure when your starting a thread like this, you are listening and accepting both sides whether you agree with it or not. This poll is opinionated, and I would suggest you know both sides 100% before you start another thread in this manner. People agree to disagree, you have to try to accept that :)
I do accept that I want everyone to share opinions on here and yes I know I have to accept both sides even though I don't like Blackfish with a passion I am still willing to see every ones opinion on this but I don't want to see SeaWorld shutting down in the future because of Blackfish because that's not fair to people who are fans of SeaWorld.

Myth

I do accept that I want everyone to share opinions on here and yes I know I have to accept both sides even though I don't like blackfish with a passion I am still willing to see every ones opinion on this but I don't want to see SeaWorld shutting down in the future because of Blackfish because that's not fair to people who are fans of SeaWorld.
SeaWorld won't shut down. People are only going against them because they value Orca whales very highly and care about them so much because they want them to be back where they belong.
I can promise you if Tilikum was freed, many people would praise SeaWorld because of his incredibly long and disheartening history of captivity.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
I could argue about this for a very long time, but it's a highly controversial topic. I hope this thread gets closed, no hard feelings. There's nothing wrong with loving SeaWorld, but the Orcas shouldn't be contained when their brains are developed to be in large oceans. Just my $0.2!
That's pretty much the main argument about them being released back to the wild. Their brains are meant to function in an open ocean, not in a confined tank, but the ones who are bred in captivity are already taught mannerisms and don't know what else there is to living in a tank, which is unfortunate.

Um, he literally just said he watched the video Myth told him to watch. He is listening to opposition but is he also suppose to agree? No. You have your opinion and he has his. Also, everyone is posting these "Sea World is evil" links but I checked it out and it's just some top 10 list with no real sources.
Hmm.
The point of thread is blackfish, not the video @Myth suggested. Sorry if this sounds bad myth. And where are the "sea world are good" threads with real sources?

VampireBoy

Lets just stick a fork in it and say some people are against Blackfish and some people aren't against Blackfish but either way we all have our opinions and I know a lot of you want SeaWorld to release the Orcas but because of the fact that Shamu is SeaWorld's label and their main icon its probably never going to happen. Now I am just stating a fact and I would like to thank everyone for coming on here and sharing their opinions and giving a great debate on Blackfish Vs. SeaWorld you all did a great job with that.

The movie is ridiculous. Some scenes are exaggerated to the point where it demolishes the credibility of the entire film. They suggested that an orca (equipped with fins and jaws) had the dexterity to precisely remove clothing from a human without breaking skin. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

That said, not crazy about SeaWorld. Say what you will about Blackfish, but there are so many safety issues revolving around orcas in particular. That's part of why the criticism is aimed at SeaWorld: they're built on orcas. The Living Seas, to my knowledge, doesn't have orcas. Dolphins, sharks, and manatees, but not orcas.

As for SeaWorld's conservation efforts, I'm about 80% sure that those are subsidized by the government or donations. If they aren't, then I'm 100% sure that it's very, very effective for publicity.

I can promise you if Tilikum was freed, many people would praise SeaWorld because of his incredibly long and disheartening history of captivity.
I wouldn't.

He'd have no clue how to behave. Captivity has completely ruined any chance for this whale to live a normal, free life. It's unfortunate, but this is reality. It would be tremendously irresponsible to put him in the wild. Best thing to do is get him a bigger pool and let him live out his life as best as possible in the only way he knows how. Sad.

Last edited:

Jenner

SITS hoarder
I'm not gonna read all of the comments so I don't know if this has already been said,

but this is exactly what zoos do. Humans are guilty of "speciesism," which means that humans are less tolerant towards animals because they're of a different species. We think that we should have total control over all animals to use for our pure enjoyment.

Personally, I don't know enough about either side to support one. I've seen Blackfish, but I also know how one-sided documentaries can be, and how editing can work wonders for one opponent. If it was 100% authentic then I would support blackfish, however none of us really know if it is. I'm not sure if Seaworld really does make life better for the orcas, I'm sure it's helped some and harmed some, but personally I don't believe that wild animals should be kept in captivity solely for our enjoyment.

or maybe that's just my crazy vegan side coming out oops

edit: i read some posts and omg some of you need to take a breather, it's a debate and you can agree to disagree