My Perspective on Recent Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hurt for you, @Amy.
I hate that people are being so rude to you when you have given us this magical opportunity. I'm obviously pretty new around these parts, and I don't know Kali. I do know now that she said some pretty awful things. I wish just like everyone else that this never happened.
That being said...
I don't think you owe anyone anything or any sort of explanation. (I feel like I'll get a bit of heat for that, but so be it.) You run this game, and you have the power to choose who hosts this game. I personally would not have picked Kali for the position (only after reading what she said to Belle), but the thing is, it's your choice. Of course, it's great to have the "power of the players" thing going on. It keeps us playing because then you can give us things we want, like new themes and such. However, I think it's dangerous that we players have the ability to know the staff members well enough to be concerned with their business. And that's what it is; it's their business and yours. Perhaps the way to avoid this in the future would be to have the staff members take a small step back? Don't get me wrong, I love chatting with staff and getting to know them, but maybe it shouldn't be that way. It seems to cause a lot of drama. It would keep things like what happened to poor Belle from happening at all. That's my warm-hearted suggestion.

Amy, you have recreated a world we all loved as children and still love today! I'm forever grateful for that. These times are going to be very stressful for you, but I hope that you don't let people get you down. However you choose to smooth out this problem, know that I, and many other players, are behind you.
Thank you to all the staff members who left, who stuck around, and to "the new guys".
Keep your heads up! <3

Alyce

Younger than Dirt..Older than Disneyland
Amy,
Thank you for your response to the community's request not to be silent.

I would also like to thank you and all the staff ( current and former ) for all the time and work you all have put in bringing this little gem of fantasy back to life. A place where we can be pirates, ghost hunters, go on quests, explore imaginary lands, be master traders, design rooms, or just be kids again.

It is a gift. Oh and clothes, clothes are very important.

I know this sounds like Pollyanna or Mary Poppins, but that is how I feel.

Life itself is a confrontation......we all need a little fantasy once in awhile.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
I know a lot of people have wanted to hear from me since all of this stuff started. I wanted to avoid it if I could, because it's kind of impossible to say exactly what happened from my perspective without naming names. I'm going to do my best to hide the identities of those involved, because I can't say for sure what their intentions were. If logs of this are/have been posted without being edited or cherry-picked, they should back me up, but I can't post any of my own.

This all started a little while ago, maybe a couple of weeks, I'm not completely sure. Me and Kali were on in the early mornings, saw not many people were online, and we thought running a trivia game could be fun. So we went into one of her pirates rooms, featured it (put it to the top of the guest room list and gave it the mickey mouse staff icon you see on events), and played. It was fun, the players liked it, we liked it, and it gave them something to do when hardly anyone was online. I was in a Skype call with Kali and some friends (who I will not name, but if I mention "some friends" again it's probably the same people) the whole time.

We did the trivia event a few times over the next few days, I didn't mention the trivia events to the other staff. In retrospect, I should have, but I can't change the past. I honestly didn't think they were significant so I just didn't think about it. After one of the events, Kali had the idea for a gameshow type event. This is the big "secret event" that everyone is talking about. She set it up, we played it, it was fun. In the trivia, the first person to answer a question won. In the gameshow event, I think almost everyone got a chance to play. Kali was using the same commands I made for dreams month to randomly pick players. If someone had already played, the command would let her know, and she would skip them. The events went on for hours, and only some big prizes were given out (funny side note actually, I wanted to play so I asked to be next, so I played and won the ONLY firewall given out in that event. Me, Amy, not Amy's clone, Amy. Players who were there were laughing over it). The odds of winning something were so small, that the events that lasted hours upon hours only gave out some (I'm not sure on the exact number, but I don't think any event had more than one won... I could be wrong though).
Yes, there is very few people on during the wee hours of the morning. And the people that are on? Are the same people that are always on during that time. A lot of which happen to be friends with a certain staff member.

Oh just a side note I added after I wrote a lot of this, I realised I forgot to mention the Stitch Hat auction. It was not in one of these events, it was at a time when I think a couple of hundred players were online, in the most popular room on the guest rooms list, it was an auction room, and it had a queue. A lot of people bid on it, one of my friends just happened to be the one who won. I probably shouldn't have done it, but again, it's in the past now and I can't change that.

When there is a true and tested auction feature on the homepage? That was developed for this very reason? If you wanted to auction off a stitch hat in-game, you would have used that feature. If you wanted to give a stitch hat to your friends, you would do what you did.

Here's the thing that bothered me about it all. If we wanted to hide the events, why would we send game alerts? Why would we feature the rooms? Why would we do all of that? It's obvious that one of the players would post about it, and it's silly to assume we would try to cover it up somehow. The trivia events were spur of the moment, and the gameshow events wouldn't work if it was announced (it took hours and hours to get through every player... all 20-30 of them, and you would understand why if you saw it, it wasn't like the other events at all).
A tweet going out would be nice, so people not in-game could hop on if they happened to be awake. And making events where it takes the entire length of the event to go through 20 people? Many of those people your friends?

I don't have a huge problem with spontaneus events. Those can be fun. But why give out super-rares at them? Because your friends are there? You don't need to offer clocks and firewalls and stitch hats as prizes to make a game fun. But those were given out at these secret events. These events not on the calender, not tweeted, not posted on the forums. A firewall goes for about 40k these days. Clocks? I don't know to be honest, let's say 2 firewalls (Just a guess-timation here), so 80k. You know how long it takes to make 40 or 80 thousand credits playing minigames? I doubt it, you and the rest of the staff have never needed to grind away for hours at a time to earn credits for things you want. But it takes a long time. To give these items away to the same people who are on in wee hours of the night night after night? Makes no sense. Why can't you make these late-night spontaneus events have prizes not so rare? Recent HOST Prizes, retired items that are not worth a ton..you said you wanted to make these late-night games to make the game more fun when little goes on, but you can make games that are fun with non-rare prizes.

At some point, and again I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly where in the timeline this fits in, but it was before I knew the others knew about it or were talking about it, I saw that a certain staff member had been looking up my logs in the housekeeping. So, I looked into it, and saw he was looking up everything from that event, all of my friends, and players that were there... I asked him why. It turned out, instead of asking me, he decided he would just assume something bad was going on and look everything up. Again, a huge lack of trust there, and I don't know why.
I don't know about any lack of trust in between staff, but i can most definitely relate seeing the amount of trust between current staff and the players (the remaining players, that is. seems more are leaving every day).

So, the staff continue to argue for a long time. I had left the staff chats by this point because I was so hurt from things they had said. Kali said something (and she regrets it, and apoligized to the people involved later), they got upset, and that was it. Later on, one of the staff started speaking to me in a private chat. They told me they do trust me, but that's not the impression I got from what they were saying. It seemed like they completely turned on me because of my involvement with Kali, and that spoke much louder than what this person was saying. Eventually, they said they were going to leave. I think they expected me to try to convince them to stay. I decided not to, for the first time ever. They said it was because I wasn't going to punish Kali for what she said. I was in tears the whole time, every time I saw a message from this person, this person who I always loved (as a friend, and still do...) for so long, because I knew what was going to happen, I was going to lose two of my closest friends, and I did. They left. I said something I didn't mean, I wasn't in the state of mind to think about it much.
What she said was inexusable and immature for a person of her position in this game. Does she regret it? I'm sure she does now, given whats been going on. Do you seriously believe this is the first issue people have hard with Kali? Have you not read however many hundred replies that thread is up to now? This was not a one-time problem that we wanted an apology for. This was a series of ongoing rudeness and immaturity by someone with a lot of power in the game. Your reponse? Give them more power.

After that, the person I was talking to left, along with the person who I knew would follow them (for good reason, but I'm trying to not name names so I can't go into detail). I was distraught. After this, another staff (the one who was looking up our logs earlier) said he was going to leave, but wanted to help us with something one last time (I can't say what without it being clear who this person is.. but that had told be a couple of weeks before all of this that they were already considering leaving due to lack of time). During this time, he looked up more logs of my friends (the same friends). I ignored it for the time being. Later on, we received reports that someone was talking about the events in the staff chat (a big fight). This was... alarming, because at this point Tink (I'm naming her here because she was the first to post, and well, you all know that) had not posted her leaving post on tumblr so noone could have possibly known besides a leak (and by the way, we didn't find out about this by looking through chat logs, someone reported it). So, we investigated after we heard this, and we found a certain staff member (who I will refer to as Z, but you all know who they are) was the most likely to be involved.

At this point, knowing Grizzly was leaving, I had already decided Absolem was going to be an admin. She had looked into it and thought we had enough evidence to remove Z (it was mostly some chatlogs, and the people who were involved). I felt this was inconclusive, so I said no. Then later on, Absolem managed to get into contact with one of the people who was saying the stuff that got reported. So, she asked them. I won't reveal any of what was said, but all I can say is it was pretty clear who they were talking about. We removed Z from the staff chat, and I stated it was a measure just in case Z was leaking so we could prevent anything else from being leaked. If Z was present at the time, I would not have removed Z.

Not too long later, Z came back, after receiving a text message from one of the staff. I wasn't really sure what to say or do, I'm not good with that kind of confrentation and I'll be the first to admit it (and that's part of the reason I picked Absolem and Kali to be admins). I felt there was enough evidence to keep Z removed until further notice, but I didn't want to fire Z, I wanted to give them another chance.

Z started cursing at me, not a one time thing but she insulted me and cursed at me multiple times. I wasn't sure what to say. Not saying anything to Z was a huge huge mistake and I am sorry to Z, and the other people involved, for that. At this point, the staff who was mentioned earlier, who said they were leaving but that they wanted to help do one last thing, decided it would be a good idea to look up everything to do with the Z situation... take pictures of every single log... including the names of the person who was giving us information, and to give them to Z. That was wrong. I don't care how anyone else feels about it, if someone is giving us information and we promise confidentiality to them, you DONT just throw the informant (for lack of a better word) into the lions pit by giving the accused everything they said including their identity. The next day, this staff member was removed from the chat, after all permissions were cleared from EVERYONE the night before. They were already planning on quitting, so I don't consider it being fired, but I felt awful because they had been around for so long.

Z got mad, obviously. We ended up talking to the informant again, and let's just say we heard more than we bargained for. I won't go into detail, but we were told they had received threats and they were scared for their safety. I can't vouch for this persons legitamacy, but this information combined with how she cursed me and Absolem out, and insulted us. We decided Z couldn't come back. At this point, Absolem still wasn't announced as an admin if I remember rightly. I was in tears, I didn't want to be the one to tell Z they couldn't come back. It was a mistake not telling Z, but I always liked Z and felt terrible. So I went to sleep, and woke up to people spamming my Skype with calls because Z had blocked everyone on Skype, and threatened to release the entire staff chat (not just what Z has released so far, everything). I didn't want that, so I apologized to Z, at this point I couldn't tell her we had already made up our minds, but I genuinely was sorry for the way it was handled. Even the ex-staff were begging me to talk to Z.

After that, Z posted anyway because Z got banned from the forums. Z didn't post what we thought Z was going to post though, and Z had told people they were going to post things, the other staff just assumed the forums and banned Z from them for that reason alone.
Person i can't name did this and other person i can't named said something i wont go into detail about...

You wanna know why the other side of the story is so much more compelling? It is the raw truth, not this dodging around the facts to make yourself not look bad in front of your remaining staff members.

After this, other staff left for a variety of reasons. This post is already long enough, and there's something I need to do right now that I'm late for (a personal thing), so I won't go into detail for this.
And when like half of your staff walks out on you in the period of around a day, you don't stop and think "Maybe we are doing something wrong? Maybe we are not handling this correctly?". Or were you too clouded by your friendships with Kali to see that?

I completely stand by my decision to make Absolem and Kali administrators. They proved to me they would be able to do it, and they are doing a great job.
Yes fantastic job. After posting a post explaining nothing and letting us know our opinions don't matter, and ignoring that post until it reached 500+ replies, we get cookie-cutter apologies. That's it. And this is after all the immaturity and harassment that went on behind the scenes. Which part proved to you that they would be able to do it? The bias? The rudeness to players on both their staff and player accounts? When one of them called a 16 year old member of your staff a very inappropriate word?

We have the entire month planned out already, and we also know what we're doing next month.
Yeah, after the staff responsible for designing items and planning on the month left because of all this nonsense. "Mayhem" month is very fitting given the situation.

The staff chat has a much nicer atmosphere than it has in a long time, the people in there are talking, we have great people in there who stepped up at our time of need.
I'm sure it is. When everyone who disagrees with the incompetence and immaturity that was going on leaves, you are only left with the people who were causing the incompetence and immaturity. I'm sure everyone in the staff chat at this point is all fine and dandy.

To them, and especially to the staff who stayed with us throughout this whole ordeal, I thank you. The old staff group had a lot of anger under the surface, it felt like half of the people in the group hated eachother.
With good reason, but it is difficult to see the flaws in your friends. It's a shame that it is a requirement for becoming staff/keeping the position.

A lot of them felt they had no say, like what they thought didn't matter, and that if they spoke up they would get attacked for it. I don't think that was anyones fault, but that's how it felt. If I hurt anyone over the course of these events, I am truely sorry.
Like when multiple staff were having a reasonable and logical discussion about the prizes and late-night event, and Kali comes in and says what she said? Who gets to stay? The people having the calm and rational discussion, or the immature women who comes in, insults people, and ignores what everyone else is saying?

What will happen next? Well, we want to continue with the plans we have! There's a new custom magic being released soon, and we have some plans for some special things coming up. I'm planning on testing a new type of event soon where there are no queues and everyone gets to play at once!
So you really think that things will go back to the way they were, and everybody will simply forget whats happened? I don't know, i mean a lot of the people who do genuinely care for this game already left, so maybe soon enough nobody who cares about this will be left and you guys will have what you really wanted: A game where everybody loves you and accepts your decisions even if they make no sense and have no logical backing.

Beyond everything else, I hope you will give Absolem and Kali a chance.
Was their chance not when they were HOSTS? They failed in that regard spectacularly. The amount of hate and bias and immaturity was huge.

Some of you think I made the wrong decision, but their dedication to the game really shows to me, and they stepped up at a VERY painful and stressful time to help me. With everyone who is saying things about them, they are staying strong. I believe in them, and I hope you will at least wait to see how they do before making judgements.
So what they said in the other post was right, even when almost the entire community speaks up about how we really feel about a staff member, you'll just continue promoting them because they are your friend and you believe in them.

It's sad to see this game and this community going down this path, but it's obvious that nothing will change. You know, when the Original VMK closed, we (or most of us, since not everyone here even played the original) were all sad because we lost a great part of our childhood. This is 10 times worse. We're all sad now because a great part of our childhood is being turned into this ugly mess of hatred and drama and instead of enacting changes to help rectify the situation, you are making it worse.

A lot of staff have left. A lot of members have left. And more are leaving every day. Do you not see this? When people start jumping overboard on a sinking ship, you don't carry on like everything is normal, you find out what is causing the ship to sink, and you fix it.

If you want my thoughts on what should be done, refer to the previous thread that seems like it was completely ignored. Either my posts, or the hundreds that basically say the same exact thing.

Also, adding on (A little after i posted this): You consistently say that the past is the past and that they are sorry. Are there no consequences for the past? If there are no consequences for past actions (Especially when those actions turn into this whole ordeal), then obviously there will be no consequences for future actions

Last edited:

Lost

when you spend 2-3 days commenting on a thread that reached up to 574 posts, only to be met with this response

Thank you.

All my questions, all my posts fighting for answers and transparency and nope.

A lot of posts on that thread were thought out by many people and legitimate problems and questions and things that needed to be addressed, all ignored as usual.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
When you try so hard to do whatever you can to help make positive changes and stop the bully and get ignored it is hard not to feel victimized again. However, I am not letting that get to me. I am angry. I am angry that so many players will let the bully win. I expected so much more out of Amy. However she needs people and in her world the only people left at the admins. Sad thing is she is loosing so many people that truly care about this game and her. The punch in my stomach and those a many many players is real. The whole lets post 3 threads at the same time was manipulative and it was to draw attention. This is a highly orchestrate manipulation and it is not coming from Amy. She does not have the life experiences to pull that off.

How can Amy be so blind to all the players. I would say more but will not. I am just beyond disappointed in her. Look at the kingdom people it is empty. You have your pirate players but that is about it.

BriarRose

☉ taurus ☽ aquarius ↑ leo
I appreciate Amy and everything she has done for this game and for us. And I understand that she is being put in a tough position as it's hard to fire people who have become your friend. But come on, how could you possibly keep people on staff like that let alone promote them?????? Yes, people do make mistakes, but when you're in a position of power like that you honestly can't afford to make as many as she has. It's not even like there has been one incident there have been many and I am sure that there will be many more if she is kept on staff. Actions have consequences and it's unfair that her actions have been almost swept under a rug. Has she received any punishment at all??? Why is she being promoted for this? If a manager of a company harassed multiple staff members they would be seriously reprimanded for their actions. There's no way they would ever be promoted, whether they apologized to said people or not.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
She's proved herself to be trustworthy to me. Sure, she said some bad things, but she regrets saying them, and everyone makes mistakes. I promise pretty much everyone who is criticising her right now has said worse.

I'm not sure if we're still opening applications, it gets talked about a lot and I think we are, but I can't promise anything just in case.
Pardon me, but this is going to be pretty frank:

People make mistakes yes, and usually when you make a mistake you learn from it and work hard to do better so you don't repeat that mistake. If you recognize that you've done something wrong, you don't repeat it. Kali has done the same horrid thing's to people over and over without remorse, and I'm sorry but someone that speaks that way at her age to a minor, and publicly harasses another person to the point where they become sick because of it and then they laugh at their victim is just evil. Simply evil. Maybe the meaning of trust has changed drastically over the last decade or so, but to most of us a trustworthy person usually has other good qualities like morals, ethics, common decency, integrity, respect. These qualities Kali and Absolem are sorely lacking, and it's a real shame you can't recognize that.

The fruits of your labor are being poisoned by the company you keep Amy, and I hope someday soon you realize this because I truly think you yourself are a good person, but the wrong people are leading you astray. I hope you find your way again soon.

I wonder if any of you have ever contacted an online game provider before. Do you think they will give you the time of day? Apoligise for things you don't like, act on your wishes???????

Please I beg you all to try contacting , hmmmm, Blizzard, Riot, Valve, and demand they make change, see what the response is. Probably something along the lines of "thank you for contacting us, NO". Its their way or the highway.

You have gotten apologies, explanations, certainly more than you would get anywhere else and still demanding blood!
Wow, just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.