Non-restrictive chat!

Boatguy

I totally agree that language filters are a hassle to have in place, and it would be nice for the older population if they were not quite as cumbersome as they were in VMK. However, we need to remember that even though this is not a Disney game anymore, it's nature will encourage younger players to join the game. Language filters are mainly implimented to protect those younger players so they can't accidentally give out their phone number, email addresse, or worse.
A well balanced language filter not only protects those young players, but it also limits the liability for the game creators and management team.
That said, hopefully the teen to adult players can understand that some sort of filter is not only necessary, but also an important and responsible feature.

By all means, go ahead and block and inappropriate words but please, for the love of god, do not block half of the English dictionary... We may all have loved VMK and I can admit that it taught me how to spell correctly (you don't see many old VMK users on any forums that can't spell ;D) but their chat restrictions were appalling! It took so long to type anything and some sentences looked cryptic due to people slamming words in there that didn't look right in an attempt to bypass the filter... =.=

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
I think having the chat like club penguin is actually a good idea too.
I agree too that we should have a wider range of chat.
I always thought it was dumb we couldn't say "year" or "old" or whatever.
I think the only filter there should be on are curse words/inappropriate words...(:

Shrimp

But, but, please block the word "twerk", I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE HAD TO SAY THAT IN EVERY ROOM I ENTERED. Or they go "t.w.e.r.k". It blew my brains to NASA!!

Harmony

VMK's resident friendly ghost
I really like some of the ideas said on this thread. As many hilarious memories I'm sure we've all collected from dictionary dancing, I think it's pretty safe to say we all enjoyed the unrestricted chat.

I just had an idea while reading the "mature staff" thread. Instead of an outright 24 hour or 30 day ban for inappropriate language, perhaps SILENCING the perpetrator with a minor infraction for whatever set amount of time would be better. That way younger players (or immature teens/adults?) can still play, gain credits, and learn by example the appropriate way to be part of a safe community. No warning necessary, but possibly some marker to inform others why they aren't responding with words(if they're embarrassed by the marker they don't have to play). Or limited to the drop down basic phrases.

Perfume

I'm up for the non-restrictive chat! I actually have faith in all of us to know that we all have enough common sense to not say anything wildly inappropriate. :)

Caribbean_Gal said:
I just had an idea while reading the "mature staff" thread. Instead of an outright 24 hour or 30 day ban for inappropriate language, perhaps SILENCING the perpetrator with a minor infraction for whatever set amount of time would be better. That way younger players (or immature teens/adults?) can still play, gain credits, and learn by example the appropriate way to be part of a safe community. No warning necessary, but possibly some marker to inform others why they aren't responding with words(if they're embarrassed by the marker they don't have to play). Or limited to the drop down basic phrases.
I love this idea! I'm also all for a black list if we have mature and responsive moderators who will appropriately deal with anyone who swears or makes another user feel uncomfortable in a public area.

I just read something on another post about COPPA requirements and it made me wonder. What if we could restrict chatting to users over 13? I know neopets had limited features to users under 13. That way they could still play but we wouldn't have to worry as much about them giving out personal information. We of course would still need mods and filters.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
{"This isn't Disney anymore" is a repetitive excuse. It's still VMK, and it's still based on Disney. And we still have a younger audience, we aren't all 18+ here. A lot of people have already misused their privileges of a non-restrictive chat on oVMK, and seeing with the locked threads on oVMK shows the true maturity level of the majority of us, which is dissapointedly low. Yes, there are still people who respect their privileges using the chat freely, but most do not.

-Tessa?

Reptileboy said:
It would be interesting if you could make it restricted for anyone under like 17...
i have to disagree, i am 16 and am mature enough to know what to say or not, the age should be like 11- should have strict chat rules if anything

disneyfacts

Caribbean_Gal said:
Didn't work too well for Hester...
It's a good idea, but the ban for breaking the rules is a fairly good system already (and staff shouldn't be exempted from it.) Honestly, you may have good intentions, but that doesn't exactly mean it'll work.