Play Fair

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One
Please look up coding and programing and what an algorithm is. Really not trying to be mean or rude but the algorithm is coded into the game and it tells the sits how to randomly generate the numbers. Its two whole different aspects. Im talking about in the coding for the game itself vs walking up in game and pulling.
ok am sorry i donut know how programming works
im just a subpar accountant

Ok so lets work this out. Say just for the scenerio you have 30 pins but fate has decided pin #25 wins. No matter who pulls it that number is whats decided (since its through the stone not the pin, as quoted) if I sit there and pull 24 pins; it does not matter who pulls the next pin because fate had decided what number is the winner even though that person does not know it. Thats how random generation works. NOW if someone comes up and buts in, it doesnt change how the fate has it. It will still be that pin. It doesnt change that fate like the next person as long as its not (insert person already pulling sits here) the next pin will be rare. And yes I understand you never know what number fate decided BUT its the what if.
Not to be rude, but there's a communication error here.

She's saying the pin does not correspond directly to the prize, which I understand to mean that you're not awarded a winning/dud pin, BUT she doesn't say anywhere that the stone is setup like an arcade machine where every X player gets a prize. It's not that pin #25 wins, it's that each time you use a pin the odds reset. If you were entering a raffle and you had a 1/25 chance of winning, that doesn't mean the 25th person automatically wins.

Point being, it's not rude at all. It's the same situation as the pirate treasure room, you use your pin, you win/lose, you move on.

hotcorndog

Okay so I think ppl are v confused. There are two ways that most people think the sword in stone works:
1) u go up use ur pin, ur pin will randomly generate if u get the prize or not. Basically the pin triggers a "random dice roll" or something and whatever number you land on determines your prize. If this is the way it works, it doesn't matter who cuts in front of who or who rolls first because other people will not change the outcome of your prize. each SIT is an individual thing that doesn't have a relationship to other SIT. Just like how if someone were to roll a dice before you and get a 5 doesn't mean If you rolled instead of them you woulda got a five too.
2) the game randomly generates a number, let's use 5 as an example. If you are the fifth person to use the stone, u get the super rare! If this is the case, then you don't want anyone cutting you because you coulda got the super rare if you were the fifth person and not the sixth.

I think it's #1 which is why I don't care if anyone cuts anyone or if we roll at the same time. But I can understand why people gonna be mad if it's way #2. Pretty sure it's #1 tho.

Okay so I think ppl are v confused. There are two ways that most people think the sword in stone works:
1) u go up use ur pin, ur pin will randomly generate if u get the prize or not. Basically the pin triggers a "random dice roll" or something and whatever number you land on determines your prize. If this is the way it works, it doesn't matter who cuts in front of who or who rolls first because other people will not change the outcome of your prize. each SIT is an individual thing that doesn't have a relationship to other SIT. Just like how if someone were to roll a dice before you and get a 5 doesn't mean If you rolled instead of them you woulda got a five too.
2) the game randomly generates a number, let's use 5 as an example. If you are the fifth person to use the stone, u get the super rare! If this is the case, then you don't want anyone cutting you because you coulda got the super rare if you were the fifth person and not the sixth.

I think it's #1 which is why I don't care if anyone cuts anyone or if we roll at the same time. But I can understand why people gonna be mad if it's way #2. Pretty sure it's #1 tho.
According to the quote in the original post it's #2 and that's what the point of the post was to be about

goobie

violent delights
Ok so lets work this out. Say just for the scenerio you have 30 pins but fate has decided pin #25 wins. No matter who pulls it that number is whats decided (since its through the stone not the pin, as quoted) if I sit there and pull 24 pins; it does not matter who pulls the next pin because fate had decided what number is the winner even though that person does not know it. That's how random generation works. NOW if someone comes up and buts in, it doesn't change how the fate has it. It will still be that pin. It doesn't change that fate like the next person as long as its not (insert person already pulling sits here) the next pin will be rare. And yes I understand you never know what number fate decided BUT its the what if.
This would the case be if the pins were assigned an order. So like if Amy decided "hey, the 5th person, 47th person, and 125th person who pull from the sword are going to win this super fabulous pin." But most of us seem to be under the impression that this is not how it works. Of course, we could just ask @Amy

This would the case be if the pins were assigned an order. So like if Amy decided "hey, the 5th person, 47th person, and 125th person who pull from the sword are going to win this super fabulous pin." But most of us seem to be under the impression that this is not how it works. Of course, we could just ask @Amy
No if you continued to read my other comments I mean that computers run "random numbers" by using an algorithm that's coded into the game without anyone knowing.

hotcorndog

According to the quote in the original post it's #2 and that's what the point of the post was to be about
That is correct, the prize is decided by random odds that are set at the time you use each pin, the prize is not attached or predetermined by the pin in any way

I don't agree. "odds that are set at the time you use each pin" makes it sound like once you use the pin the dice is rolled and your prize is picked instead of each pin being worth a predetermined value.

The computer will basically spin numbers that come up and give true false on the prizes. it will of course be coded in that for example ash is given more often than a rare pin. but this doesn't mean that the computer choses before hand what number pull it is going to be.

littleone

Say what you might but "butting in" happens to me all the time even when I go to any empty instance.
I am tempted to start posting the names of players who do this all the time.

The bottom line is - IT IS RUDE!

You wouldn't cut in a supermarket queue, you would wait your turn or go to a different checkout (instance), otherwise the other shoppers would be really really annoyed with you. That is the main point of the OP. Manners cost nothing, whether it is real life or virtual. Sheesh!

I always go to a different instance... and still get people coming into that room. I just growl and most leave lol

I am not talking about whether they would have won that special rare or not if somebody else hadn't cut in, or random odds, or whether they would still have won in a different room. I am just pointing out that if somebody didn't wait their turn or go to a different instance it is rude. Pure and simple. I thought we were all adults now, with the ability to wait until others finish what they are doing or go to a different room if they really really cannot wait.

I nearly always go to a different instance because I don't want to be interrupted but if I have the odd one that I really want to use then I wouldn't interrupt another player who is using the stone, I would wait until they move away from the circle so I know they have finished. Otherwise it is rude. Not a difficult concept to understand I would have thought.

Last edited:

hotcorndog

but you can't cut in? the sword isn't like a grocery store where you can cut people in line or go to another line, its more like online shopping. Multiple people can check out at the same time and they don't affect each other. It was rude when only one person could use a SIT at a time, but it's not like that. Multiple people can use it at the same time. I am trying to understand why it is rude for you. Do you not like the multiple chat bubbles that appear when people pull at the same time? Or do you want to see your individual animation and not be confused if someone else is pulling?