Pray for Paris Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would players from or who visit Baghdad, Beirut, Japan, and Mexico have to say about it? I understand the sentiment of leaving it up to the French player(s) but let's be real there's one person who lives there and isn't the voice of all of France
Reminder that last time we showed support via a pin, it was removed from game for ill intentions[DOUBLEPOST=1447641439][/DOUBLEPOST]No one's denying you of your support for Paris, there's other ways to go about it, like how Facebook is promoting changing your profile picture to the colors of the French flag. If you're really trying to show your support in game, you can change your signature or color coordinate your lanyard or again, wear the already existing French flag pins. To add a controversial pin to commemorate a tragic event in Paris is just unnecessary and politically incorrect because it's unrealistic to add heart pins for every tragedy that's happened everywhere, not to mention that it takes the happy Disney vibe out of the game entirely

Last edited:

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One
I really understand the sentiment behind this pin, and I'm all for showing support but I am completely against the idea of just making it for France.

As mentioned before in this thread, what about Beirut? Baghdad? Japan? Mexico? Everyone supporting the pin have failed to even recognized these places. You can't just focus on one group of people that died and ignore the others just because they weren't white. I'm not blaming any white people here so don't take this statement the wrong way, but this is a very real issue concerning the western media and its seemingly uncaring attitude to tragedies occurring in non-european countries.

Tragedies like this happen every single day in places like Palestine. Where's my pray for Palestine pin??

I know it looks like "oh every time we try to do something nice, someone always gets offended", well in this situation, it actually is extremely offensive. You're basically valuing one human life over another because of the region they live in.

I'm going to have to agree with @Karalora, @Stacysmom, @Gallifreyan and others due to the fact that these events have morphed into a world crisis, not just a horrific tragedy in France. For example, the night of Nov. 13th, I came home and turned on the news to try and get more information on the events that took place and all that I found, on multiple channels, was France. Don't get me wrong, my thoughts and love go out to the French and everyone affected by the events there, but I also want to show love to Beirut, Japan, Mexico, Baghdad, and also Brazil who suffered large amounts of flooding, and people have forgotten about them as well. I went through the channels and watched for 2 and 1/2 hours only to find the same stories. It's beyond upsetting to see the bias of western media in real time. November 13th was a tragic day for a large majority of the world, and focusing on the one western (and largely white populated), country is unsettling and unfair.

If there needs to be a pin implemented in-game, then let it be one representing love and support of the world, not just one country. Although, I'd much rather there not be a pin, for the sake of the tragedy and the millions of lives affected.

edit: the only other thing I have to say about this topic

Last edited:

Jacob

Professional Housewife
All I have to say is I am so sick of the immaturity and argumentative nature of everyone that plays this game, the fact everyone is saying things like "Paris isn't the only place that got attacked! This isn't fair on the other places!" is literally like saying to someone with cancer "Stop complaining! Some people have it worse!"

All I have to say is I am so sick of the immaturity and argumentative nature of everyone that plays this game, the fact everyone is saying things like "Paris isn't the only place that got attacked! This isn't fair on the other places!" is literally like saying to someone with cancer "Stop complaining! Some people have it worse!"
The way you're looking at it, asking for a support Paris pin is the equivalent of asking for a support my candidate for the U.S presidential election pin.
No one is 'immaturely' complaining of bias, people are maturely conversating on this topic up until this past post by you.
If not getting this one pin causes you this much frustration in the entire community then do you even have the right intentions asking for the pin to begin with?

I think it's a bit unfair to call people who disagree with you immature and argumentative when they're actually making valid points. Nobody is telling people who are affected by the attacks in Paris to chill because there were tragedies in other places too. The fact is that the attacks in Paris fit into a larger, very political discussion about representation of non-Western tragedies in Western media.

Of course everyone here feels sad about the attacks in Paris. I don't think we need a pin in game to commemorate it, especially since the tragedy is still fresh in our minds and a pin like this creates more controversy and division in this community than it's worth.

Jacob

Professional Housewife
I think it's a bit unfair to call people who disagree with you immature and argumentative when they're actually making valid points. Nobody is telling people who are affected by the attacks in Paris to chill because there were tragedies in other places too. The fact is that the attacks in Paris fit into a larger, very political discussion about representation of non-Western tragedies in Western media.

Of course everyone here feels sad about the attacks in Paris. I don't think we need a pin in game to commemorate it, especially since the tragedy is still fresh in our minds and a pin like this creates more controversy and division in this community than it's worth.
The way you're looking at it, asking for a support Paris pin is the equivalent of asking for a support my candidate for the U.S presidential election pin.
No one is 'immaturely' complaining of bias, people are maturely conversating on this topic up until this past post by you.
If not getting this one pin causes you this much frustration in the entire community then do you even have the right intentions asking for the pin to begin with?
the reason I chose to make a pin relating to Paris was because France is my sister country and I don't think you understand how offensive it is to just be like "why don't you make pins for all the countries???"

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I think this was blown way out of proportion.

This suggestion was not stemmed from a political stance. This suggestion was not stemmed from the desire for more in-game swag. This suggestion was not stemmed from the desire to exclude any other of the tragic accidents that occurred in the past few days worldwide. This suggestion was stemmed solely from the want to make those who were affected by this tragic incident in Paris feel comforted. So that those who lived in Paris, or nearby states, could know that even from a small remake of a kid's game, we support them. In no way did Jacob say he ONLY wanted a pin for Paris and NO WHERE ELSE. Of COURSE we all support every one of the 100,000+ deaths worldwide this week and acknowledge the lack of media coverage for the other tragedies.

Some of these responses sadden me because they're almost too focused on arguing and getting points across rather than showing support for the men and women who don't have the luxury of life that all of us should be thankful for. How would you feel if someone who lost a loved one in the accident read your posts saying you don't "feel it's necessary" because "other people died too."

A lot of these reactions to the pin also remind me of this...so I'm going to leave this here.

Please remember to always look at the root of what people say and not try and read in between the lines where there is nothing but your own opinion.[DOUBLEPOST=1447690326][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, because your U.S. presidential candidate didn't die horrifically along with hundreds of others. Not considerably close to the issue at hand.

I'm going to have to agree with @Karalora, @Stacysmom, @Gallifreyan and others due to the fact that these events have morphed into a world crisis, not just a horrific tragedy in France. For example, the night of Nov. 13th, I came home and turned on the news to try and get more information on the events that took place and all that I found, on multiple channels, was France. Don't get me wrong, my thoughts and love go out to the French and everyone affected by the events there, but I also want to show love to Beirut, Japan, Mexico, Baghdad, and also Brazil who suffered large amounts of flooding, and people have forgotten about them as well. I went through the channels and watched for 2 and 1/2 hours only to find the same stories. It's beyond upsetting to see the bias of western media in real time. November 13th was a tragic day for a large majority of the world, and focusing on the one western (and largely white populated), country is unsettling and unfair.

If there needs to be a pin implemented in-game, then let it be one representing love and support of the world, not just one country. Although, I'd much rather there not be a pin, for the sake of the tragedy and the millions of lives affected.

edit: the only other thing I have to say about this topic
With both of your logic, should people not wear pink ribbon pins in support of breast cancer awareness? Should we not have black lives matters? Does everything we say/do have to address EVERYONE suffering in the world? Or can you accept that we can single out a specific cause while still acknowledging and paying attention to other causes/lives/etc. as well? Yes there's DEFINITELY misrepresentation of the other deaths that occurred and I'm glad people like you are aware of them and care! That is important! But that doesn't mean you need to take away a small token of support to make it..."fair"? Why not just suggest pins in support for all of the affected places instead of knocking down a pin for one of them?

Last edited:

This suggestion was not stemmed from a political stance. This suggestion was not stemmed from the desire for more in-game swag. This suggestion was not stemmed from the desire to exclude any other of the tragic accidents that occurred in the past few days worldwide. This suggestion was stemmed solely from the want to make those who were affected by this tragic incident in Paris feel comforted. So that those who lived in Paris, or nearby states, could know that even from a small remake of a kid's game, we support them. In no way did Jacob say he ONLY wanted a pin for Paris and NO WHERE ELSE. Of COURSE we all support every one of the 100,000+ deaths worldwide this week and acknowledge the lack of media coverage for the other tragedies.

Some of these responses sadden me because they're almost too focused on arguing and getting points across rather than showing support for the men and women who don't have the luxury of life that all of us should be thankful for. How would you feel if someone who lost a loved one in the accident read your posts saying you don't "feel it's necessary" because "other people died too."

A lot of these responses also remind me of this...so I'm going to leave this here.

Please remember to always look at the root of what people say and not try and read in between the lines where there is nothing but your own opinion.
ty @Oreo

The only way I could see something like this get "political" and just downright evil is if someone came in and suggested we add an ISIS flag to the game.

@Jacob only had good intentions in mind when he suggested this. If you knew him in game at all, you would know he goes to Paris every chance he gets. It's his way to support the city and let our French players know we care.

the reason I chose to make a pin relating to Paris was because France is my sister country and I don't think you understand how offensive it is to just be like "why don't you make pins for all the countries???"
No one is trying to negate the tragedy in France, not in the slightest. I think you made a beautiful pin which stands to support a beautiful country in a time of great sadness. I have 2 very close friends who are currently studying abroad in Paris and the surround area, so I understand how devastating and stressful this situation is. But I also have a friend who lives in Japan, who was affectedby the most recent earthquake and another friend who's family lives in Lebanon. Just because people are suggesting to not have this pin in-game for one reason or another does not mean that they are immature and trying to tare you down. We've all spoken our opinions in a respectful manner so please, I ask you to try to do the same. I apologize if either of my posts have offended you, that was not my intent.

@Oreo, I see where you're coming from and I also believe this thread has become something Jacob never intended it to be. I support all campaigns that bring awareness to the wrong doings and unfairness of others and if you want to vouch for an ingame pin for those, more power to you. All I said was that I would love for there to be a pin representing peace around the world, not just for one country. I know this pin means a lot to you and Jacob and people who live in or around Paris, but I've grown sick of seeing only one tragedy focused on while many others go ignored. I also believe that @Stacysmom is correct when saying this event has a little bit too much political stigma involved for it to become something people wear on their lanyards. There will be no agreement between us and I respect that, so with this post, I will remove myself from commenting further on this thread.

Last edited:

Stacysmom

I've got it going on

A lot of these responses also remind me of this...so I'm going to leave this here.

Please remember to always look at the root of what people say and not try and read in between the lines where there is nothing but your own opinion.[DOUBLEPOST=1447690326][/DOUBLEPOST]

No, because your U.S. presidential candidate didn't die horrifically along with hundreds of others. Not considerably close to the issue at hand.

With both of your logic, should people not wear pink ribbon pins in support of breast cancer awareness? Should we not have black lives matters? Does everything we say/do have to address EVERYONE suffering in the world? Or can you accept that we can single out a specific cause while still acknowledging and paying attention to other causes/lives/etc. as well? Yes there's DEFINITELY misrepresentation of the other deaths that occurred and I'm glad people like you are aware of them and care! That is important! But that doesn't mean you need to take away a small token of support to make it..."fair"? Why not just suggest pins in support for all of the affected places instead of knocking down a pin for one of them?
ty @Oreo

The only way I could see something like this get "political" and just downright evil is if someone came in and suggested we add an ISIS flag to the game.

@Jacob only had good intentions in mind when he suggested this. If you knew him in game at all, you would know he goes to Paris every chance he gets. It's his way to support the city and let our French players know we care.
For starters, to say that it's only political to add an Isis pin is the exact one sided view of the situation that shows the lack of acknowledgement for the WAR that is happening.
Secondly, no one here was looking to argue and I will not contribute anymore to this conversation if it really has to become a finger pointing situation. No one was wrong here I don't know why you had to be so accusatory about this.
It's just a matter of the unnecessary political standpoint that adding this pin to game would create. Monopolizing terrorism and war is wrong and under no means would I want a children's Disney game to support that. If you feel the need to argue back to me then go for it but there is no right and wrong in this thread and I've said all that I needed to.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
No one is trying to negate the tragedy in France, not in the slightest. I think you made a beautiful pin which stands to support a beautiful country in a time of great sadness. I have 2 very close friends who are currently studying abroad in Paris and the surround area, so I understand how devastating and stressful this situation is. But I also have a friend who lives in Japan, who was affectedby the most recent earthquake and another friend who's family lives in Lebanon. Just because people are suggesting to not have this pin in-game for one reason or another does not mean that they are immature and trying to tare you down. We've all spoken our opinions in a respectful manner so please, I ask you to try to do the same. I apologize if either of my posts have offended you, that was not my intent.

@Oreo, I see where you're coming from and I also believe this thread has become something Jacob never intended it to be. I support all campaigns that bring awareness to the wrong doings and unfairness of others and if you want to vouch for an ingame pin for those, more power to you. All I said was that I would love for there to be a pin representing peace around the world, not just for one country. I know this pin means a lot to you and Jacob and people who live in or around Paris, but I've grown sick of seeing only one tragedy focused on while many others go ignored. I also believe that @Stacysmom is correct when saying this event has a little bit too much political stigma involved for it to become something people wear on their lanyards. There will be no agreement between us and I respect that, so with this post, I will remove myself from commenting further on this thread.
I respect your points and opinions and I thank you for remaining civil. :halcyon: and hugs (and Oreos) to you.

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One

I don't think anyone here is trying to be argumentative but they're just trying to bring light to an underlying issue that is clearly seen by releasing a pray for paris pin while ignoring the other tragedies that happened at the same time by the same group of people to get across the same message.
Everyone thinks this was a very nice gesture by you and we all do pray for paris because what happened was terrible. We all know someone who was affected by this and it has hit close to home for a lot people. I am not against adding a pin to support all the innocent lives gone from these tragedies, I'm only against focusing on one tragedy.

It's extremely unfair in my opinion to compare this with blacklivesmatter. Blacklivesmatter is a movement that brings to light the injustices black people face when dealing with police brutality and white privilege. What we're trying to call out in this thread is the discrimination between western and non-western countries. We're focused on all the victims or terrorism, not just the european ones. (Also btw most victims of terror are in middle eastern countries. Most people that die from the hands of terrorists are innocent muslims). We're calling out how the western media discriminates between what tragedies to show. We are not saying "hey this group of people died, well suck it up people die everyday", we're saying "it is terrible that this group of people died, but it is also terrible that this other group of people died by the hands of the same people."

The last thing I want people to get away from my message is that we should belittle the importance of paris because that is not what I am trying to do at all. My heart and prayers go out to everyone that was affected in Paris. There is nothing wrong in adding a pin to support paris, but do not say it is belittling the paris tragedy if you add a pin to honor all the innocent people that died because of the terror attacks that happened on the same day. Because as a human being I find that very offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.