The Debate: Male and Female friendships

So, I've had this debate with many friends, and we have never quite been able to come up with the true answer: can men and women just be friends?

Some say that there's no way to prevent a long-term friendship into developing into something more. One moment it's just grabbing pizza together, the next -- you're watching an '80s flick and you look down to see them holding your hand.

Others say that you can establish boundaries and get away with having an amazing friendship that will last you decades.

What do you think? And while we're at it, what about platonic cuddling? I've heard some good debates over this one, too.

Megara

no sleep club
I think it really just depends on the individuals and the situation.

I'm the type of person where if I currently have a boyfriend, I can 100% be platonic with any of my guy friends because my mind doesn't really wander like that when I'm in committed relationships. I can't really speak for anyone else, but for me, that's the case. If I wasn't in a relationship and I hung out with a guy friend frequently, I guess it just depends on the guy. If he had a great personality and was attractive to me, there wouldn't be anything stopping me from developing a crush.

I also think platonic cuddling is alright in certain circumstances, but I'd definitely feel uncomfortable if a boyfriend of mine were to platonically cuddle a friend of his who is a girl. I think it's just because of the close contact and kind of bond that forms when cuddling. So that'd make me super uncomfortable. But then again, I really think all of this is situational and depends on the individuals involved. :shrug:

I feel this question is spurred on by the "I'm a Nice Guy," or "Friendzone" debate.
Friendships can happen anytime to anyone, but the second someone is entering the friendship with the intention of being a potential romantic partner, it sours the friendship.
In essence, yes, it's possible (and it's been done, by myself and a number of my friends,) but to do so you need to be honest and up front with each other and know that there are set boundaries. If one party is unable to comply, then you probably didn't want them as a friend anyway, tbh.
(EDIT: I'm not saying be like NO THANK YOU TO RELATIONSHIPS right up front to someone you've just met, but if it verges towards romantic intentions, just say you're not comfortable with it, or you're content just as D&D buddies. If they get violent in any way, get out. It's not worth even a friendship.)
--
Platonic cuddling is great if you've both agreed it's great.
A friend of mine was in a relationship with a guy for 5 years, then they broke up. They both agree they're not getting back together, but they always cuddle and remain incredibly close even years after they've broken up.
I think once you've gotten to that level with someone, it's just not healthy to reject every inclination to do what you're being drawn to when it's not really going to hurt anyone else, you know?
Then again, I'm a pretty open person. If I was to be in a relationship with someone that platonic-ally cuddled, and those involved explained to me what was going on, I'd be totally down with it. I'd probably even try to get in on the cuddle action.

My motto is, I'll be fine with whatever you wanna do, but the moment your choices impact someone negatively, it needs to stop.

Last edited:

Oyewole

oh-yay-wool-ay
I'm going to be very honest and throw a new perspective in here. If I am not in a relationship, and I befriend an attractive girl, I will always casually flirt and show interest (unless of course they've clearly shut me down or have a boyfriend). The only reason I do this is because I find it opens more doors and relationships. I love meeting new people and being very open and flirtatious helps me do that.

However, I do have a girlfriend right now and I do not send flirts to any women except for her. This is because I have nothing but respect for our bond and I have no interest in anyone else except for her. I would be extremely uncomfortable if she cuddled up on another man so I am giving her the same respect. She does have a lot of gay friends, however, and I will never get on her case about their platonic cuddles. I know how men's brains work so I would never be okay with her cuddling with a straight guy.

I've grown up with a guy best friend since kindergarten
+ gained more great guy friends throughout the years with no problems at all, so it's very possible

Last edited:
I think it's just because of the close contact and kind of bond that forms when cuddling. So that'd make me super uncomfortable. But then again, I really think all of this is situational and depends on the individuals involved.
I think you're spot on about how there's close contact, and sometimes there can be no romantic feelings, but it's still creating that climate for feelings to develop so it's tricky. I'm cautious, I would only cuddle if the situation was black and white like if we maybe liked each other or he's cuddled with others and its clearly platonic. So I agree with you, snuggling up could lead to confusion and mixed feelings if you're not careful.

Friendships can happen anytime to anyone, but the second someone is entering the friendship with the intention of being a potential romantic partner, it sours the friendship.
In essence, yes, it's possible (and it's been done, by myself and a number of my friends,) but to do so you need to be honest and up front with each other and know that there are set boundaries. If one party is unable to comply, then you probably didn't want them as a friend anyway, tbh.
Yeah, I think that's true. You can have a lot of friends, maybe find a few of them cute, but you gotta be guarding your heart and be considerate of that other person. I think it's okay to be friends with a person if you find them cute and want to get to know them better. But it's not good to be friends with a lot of people of the opposite gender and flirt with all of them, unless it's just joking.

I don't know if you can really be friends for a long time, spend one on one time together, and there be no thoughts of transforming the friendship into something more -- one person is probably going to start thinking about it. So, I think it's really hard, especially if you're young or in your early 20's, to build relationships like these.

I think it's awkward to set boundaries, I usually agree to boundaries with myself, like I'll tell myself not to cuddle or jokingly flirt with a guy who I think is interested in me, if I'm not feeling the same way they are. It just isn't fair for that person.

With cuddling, I know it's pretty innocent, but it's not as simple as hugging. And even with hugging, you probably don't go around hugging everyone. So, yeah, knowing boundaries is key. But if someone told me they didn't want to cuddle (I'm usually the one who will deny a cuddling opportunity), I wouldn't take it personally, because everyone is different and I wouldn't want to cause any awkwardness.

platonic cuddling lol no
I feel you. It can be weird sometimes. But I still love to hug or snuggle up to my guy friends if we're really close, but never in a way where I would regret it later. I don't like to put myself out there, because I don't want them to think that I like them or intentionally cause them to like me when I don't share the same feelings.

If I am not in a relationship, and I befriend an attractive girl, I will always casually flirt and show interest (unless of course they've clearly shut me down or have a boyfriend). The only reason I do this is because I find it opens more doors and relationships. I love meeting new people and being very open and flirtatious helps me do that.
I get you on the flirtatiousness, because I can put up a pretty engaging banter and then realize that I should probably take it down a notch. I'm a friendly person, and I like to make people feel comfortable and important, and that's often diagnosed as flirting in some guys' minds, so I have to be careful and understand the person's sense of humor, otherwise it gets messy.

I've grown up with a guy best friend since kindergarten
+ gained more great guy friends throughout the years with no problems at all, so it's very possible
That's awesome! Guys are great to be friends with. But sometimes feelings develop, because I think the environment for a relationship to blossom is already there. That's why it's so hard to be friends with guys, I almost lost a close friend who opened up about his feelings once we cuddled. But, I realize now that the situation was really poor, I shouldn't have been cuddling with a guy friend alone, because that set up a problem right there. So, yeah, it's possible, but opposite gender friendships have to work with a certain kind of caution.

Last edited:

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I'm glad this conversation is being brought up because I think it's important!

I definitely think we as a culture need to stop trying to support this idea that all relationships between opposite genders have to have some sexual undertone or hidden motive attached to them. People can most certainly have platonic relationships with the opposite gender so long as there really are no romantic feelings for one another present.

For example, the person I'm closest with in real life is my cousin who lived with my family for a little over a year while her mother was deployed in Afghanistan. We became really close during that time and share a bond that's deep and personal. We've both shared what is on our hearts and really rely on each other to get through each day. We've cuddled, done most every couples thing imaginable to a point where people always assume we're dating. Obviously, we're not and neither have feelings for each other. I can understand why people would initially assume, but so many times people, after hearing that we're not dating, assume we're lying solely because "men and women can't have platonic relationships with each other." That bugs me to every degree!! I hate this stereotype that ALL boys are dumb, hormonal, sexually driven stick figures that can't carry out a platonic relationship with class! And vice versa! It just offends me almost that I can't have a soul mate with the opposite sex solely because we've brainwashed ourselves into thinking relationships between opposite genders have to be formed from sexual/romantic attraction????

Although I'm bisexual, I 90% of the time have feelings for woman (and mainly just find men more attractive). In one case I can recall, I did have feelings for one of my other friends irl. BUT this doesn't stop us from having a close friendship. The only difference in the relationship is that I'm not going to put myself in situations where we'd share an intimate moment. It's logic! I can still be friends with her, and the relationship can remain the same so long as I am aware of my feelings and act appropriately/put myself in appropriate settings with her.

To recap, yes platonic relationships between opposite genders are definitely a real thing. Just be smart and more importantly HONEST.

That's awesome! Guys are great to be friends with. But sometimes feelings develop, because I think the environment for a relationship to blossom is already there. That's why it's so hard to be friends with guys, I almost lost a close friend who opened up about his feelings once we cuddled. But, I realize now that the situation was really poor, I shouldn't have been cuddling with a guy friend alone, because that set up a problem right there. So, yeah, it's possible, but opposite gender friendships have to work with a certain kind of caution.
For example, in this case, this relationship wasn't in the end platonic since your male friend did have feelings for you he just kept private. So, when you're cuddling, etc. it means something different for both of you.

I'm glad this conversation is being brought up because I think it's important!

I definitely think we as a culture need to stop trying to support this idea that all relationships between opposite genders have to have some sexual undertone or hidden motive attached to them. People can most certainly have platonic relationships with the opposite gender so long as there really are no romantic feelings for one another present.

For example, the person I'm closest with in real life is my cousin who lived with my family for a little over a year while her mother was deployed in Afghanistan. We became really close during that time and share a bond that's deep and personal. We've both shared what is on our hearts and really rely on each other to get through each day. We've cuddled, done most every couples thing imaginable to a point where people always assume we're dating. Obviously, we're not and neither have feelings for each other. I can understand why people would initially assume, but so many times people, after hearing that we're not dating, assume we're lying solely because "men and women can't have platonic relationships with each other." That bugs me to every degree!! I hate this stereotype that ALL boys are dumb, hormonal, sexually driven stick figures that can't carry out a platonic relationship with class! And vice versa! It just offends me almost that I can't have a soul mate with the opposite sex solely because we've brainwashed ourselves into thinking relationships between opposite genders have to be formed from sexual/romantic attraction????

Although I'm bisexual, I 90% of the time have feelings for woman (and mainly just find men more attractive). In one case I can recall, I did have feelings for one of my other friends irl. BUT this doesn't stop us from having a close friendship. The only difference in the relationship is that I'm not going to put myself in situations where we'd share an intimate moment. It's logic! I can still be friends with her, and the relationship can remain the same so long as I am aware of my feelings and act appropriately/put myself in appropriate settings with her.

To recap, yes platonic relationships between opposite genders are definitely a real thing. Just be smart and more importantly HONEST.

For example, in this case, this relationship wasn't in the end platonic since your male friend did have feelings for you he just kept private. So, when you're cuddling, etc. it means something different for both of you.
Okay, yeah! I have a family member who's male and we're best friends and we've gotten that "are you guys dating??" thing before and it's so absurd!

I think that friendships don't always start with "hey, she/he's cute, I want to be their friend so we can become best friends and then become boy/girl friends." In the case with my close friend that you mentioned, we began our friendship innocently, we just always flirty with each other and we'd be like "it's cool, because you're like my brother (or sister)" But he developed feelings as we got closer, not as soon as we were friends though.

My point is, platonic is a tricky word. Male and female friendships aren't textbook, it just depends on the people. I think you can have friendships and admire that person but date other people, that's fine too. The world of boy/girl friendships is super tricky.

Zelena

So someone should post what male and female friends do for fun. I just got me a male friend and we have no idea what is appropriate to do. BTW this post gave me faith I can have a friend of the opposite gender

Bindingkey

It's completely possible, it just depends on the people, and more importantly whether or not you're willing to be or naturally are attracted to people you are close to and are aligned to your sexuality. But opposite sex friends aren't any different than normal friends. Yes, there are blatant differences, but think of it as - you eliminate biological differences, do you relate to each other? do you at least like talking to each other? can you see yourself depending on them for something? do you trust them in any capacity? these are things friends provide each other, even if a boyfriend/girlfriend can provide all of this and more, these are the basic things you should look for in a friend. As long as you understand that if you took out gender from the equation, do you think you could depend on this person genuinely? I'm friends with a lot of girls, and sure the idea of dating one of them has crossed my mind but ultimately I value my friendship with them too much to let gender-based rules dictate my relationship expectations. If it happens, then it happens, but until then I'm happy being friends with some awesome women.[DOUBLEPOST=1444051700][/DOUBLEPOST]
So someone should post what male and female friends do for fun. I just got me a male friend and we have no idea what is appropriate to do. BTW this post gave me faith I can have a friend of the opposite gender
I mean, what do normal friends do for fun? And not simply what you and your girl friends would do, like go to the movies, or make some time to just hang out at like a coffee place or something. Sure it'll be awkward, since I'm assuming this is a new friendship and you two need to find a groove. I'm not sure where he is in this thing, but you should make it obvious that you're just expecting a friendship at the moment (not to suggest you expect anything other than in the future), but just be cool??? Honestly my friends and I just hang out at my place and we literally marathon movies and karaoke Disney songs.

as far "appropriate" like, it just depends on how far into the friendship you are and at what point you feel comfortable not restricting yourself and just venting, again like any normal friendship. I've gotten used to the girl talk and I don't mind anymore.

Last edited: