Unknown email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceblue

Addition: To those of you complaining about privacy - when you put something on the internet you shouldn't really have any expectation of privacy. Take this as a learning experience to use separate emails for work/school/play/etc.
Good advice, and many of us do that already. However, it is not unreasonable to expect website admins to implement basic security measures, or to expect them to take security breaches seriously.
I concur. There are apparently people that got the emails, that had no idea OVMK or MyVMK even existed. Let alone VMKU, or Uvora. I fear a security breech, but there's no real way to prove one occurred without knowing (meaning, no speculation) where the emails came from.
I also am hearing from folks who never signed up on these other websites.

Whispered

Good advice, and many of us do that already. However, it is not unreasonable to expect website admins to implement basic security measures, or to expect them to take security breaches seriously.
Not saying it isn't unreasonable. However, when you look at the fact that even major companies with hundreds of security staff working 24/7 on their systems get hacked, you can't complain when it happens to a small team of a few developers (if it did happen).

Furthermore, you can't expect the MyVMK staff to ban someone solely because they hacked another website. That'd be like Google suing someone for hacking Yahoo. (bad analogy, sorry)

dean

I want to clear up some confusion concerning these "random" emails everyone is receiving. I have worked with Jared on and off for the past 3 years. I haven't talked to him recently about these emails but from my knowledge, he has an email list from his former project VMK Unleashed. If you signed up for that forum using your email, he has that on that database. In concerns to why you are receiving an email now, I think he just wants to promote MyVMK and the work Amy has been doing since they are on good terms with each other.

I want to clear up some confusion concerning these "random" emails everyone is receiving. I have worked with Jared on and off for the past 3 years. I haven't talked to him recently about these emails but from my knowledge, he has an email list from his former project VMK Unleashed. If you signed up for that forum using your email, he has that on that database. In concerns to why you are receiving an email now, I think he just wants to promote MyVMK and the work Amy has been doing since they are on good terms with each other.
Of course he would have access to his own project's email list. That is not in question.

What is, is have you read these posts? Many have pointed out, they did not use, or even know about VMK Unleashed. So, like myself, he has acquired my email (and others) from a place where he did not have permission to use them (and probably no permission to access them either).

Another interesting point.. even if he used his VMKU email list, he should have used his own domain, not MyVMK. That too, was used without permission. So.. he not only "used" MyVMK to appear "authorized" to send the email, but accessed at least one more database to acquire email addresses. Both, in my opinion, reek of poor judgement and deceit, regardless good intention.

aliceblue

Not saying it isn't unreasonable. However, when you look at the fact that even major companies with hundreds of security staff working 24/7 on their systems get hacked, you can't complain when it happens to a small team of a few developers (if it did happen).
Of course it can happen to major companies. But at least they try to prevent it from happening in the first place, and if it does, they don't ignore it. My comment was directed at a website that may not have handled their database properly.
Furthermore, you can't expect the MyVMK staff to ban someone solely because they hacked another website. That'd be like Google suing someone for hacking Yahoo. (bad analogy, sorry)
I don't recall talking about banning anyone; that's really not my concern.

Whip

It's fairly trivial to spoof the headers.
Yes, and analogously it's trivial to spoof the return address on postal mail by writing whatever you choose. It would still not be appropriate for someone to send out a bunch of mail pretending to represent someone that they do not, in attempt to get you to open and read it.

Addition: To those of you complaining about privacy - when you put something on the internet you shouldn't really have any expectation of privacy. Take this as a learning experience to use separate emails for work/school/play/etc.
This is a fair point, and while I'm not concerned with my email address being public, people submit their email because it is required -- for example to get forum notifications or password resets. If the forum is closed, they don't necessarily care whatever oatman currently thinks is cool several months down the road; certainly not enough to warrant sending an email posing as being sent from the official domain of the game.

Not to attack oatman specifically, since I'm sure he was just trying to share information about the game to some people who might be interested, but while I feel like this method was surely an effective and technically possible way of attracting new users, it was not ethically a good way of doing so.

As many have mentioned, don't click the link. it is a phishing email. Not a good thing!
The links in the email I received appear to be fine -- they just link to the official site. Unless you've received a different message, it's an unofficial email but not attempting to get any information from you.

iamabigdisfan

He got our e-mails from ovmk. After checking, I received the e-mail from him also. When ovmk opened I opened a new e-mail just for the game and that's where I got the message from him.

oatman

i've seen two people in the tag on tumblr say they just found out that "vmk was back" and one mentioned they got an email. so thats pretty sketchy tbh.
Yes Emily that was the point ;) I wanted to get people that didn't know about this game involved! My only mission with that email was to make this game feel more like VMK did before it closed. =]

oatman

Just checked my email and I have one too. Although it is kind of weird and it does make me somewhat uncomfortable that he has my email address on a list somewhere, I don't think many of you actually knew Jared, you just knew stories about him. He could be rude sometimes, but I always enjoyed his company and I thought he was a pleasant person (in his own way). From what I was told by a friend of his, Jared left the OVMK team once he realized what Grace was trying to do. He wasn't a 'dirt bag' or a 'dirty traitor' or any of those things. He wanted to help bring the game back (after two failed attempts of his own) and it backfired.

Also, my brother and sister have received the emails too and they never signed up to OVMK or any other VMK remake site. They have only signed up on the MyVMK site. So is he getting our email accounts from here..?
You are right in regards to everything you said in this statement. Also to note, I did not get the emails from MyVMK in any way they are simply a collection like people have said from prior projects that I've been affiliated with. There is nothing to worry about or fear, they are kept in a SQL data file that is in a 256-Bit AES TrueCrypt file; I take people's personal information very serious. I just wanted to enlighten anybody that doesn't know of this website.

The spoofing of @myvmk.com was wrong, I did it so people would open the emails. I have however apologized to Amy and Kevin for this.

aliceblue

You are right in regards to everything you said in this statement. Also to note, I did not get the emails from MyVMK in any way they are simply a collection like people have said from prior projects that I've been affiliated with. There is nothing to worry about or fear, they are kept in a SQL data file that is in a 256-Bit AES TrueCrypt file; I take people's personal information very serious. I just wanted to enlighten anybody that doesn't know of this website.

The spoofing of @myvmk.com was wrong, I did it so people would open the emails. I have however apologized to Amy and Kevin for this.
Use of anyone's personal information, including email, for purposes other than which it was given, is not excusable no matter how good a reason you think you have. This was an abuse of whatever position you held on these websites, and a violation of people's privacy.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Use of anyone's personal information, including email, for purposes other than which it was given, is not excusable no matter how good a reason you think you have. This was an abuse of whatever position you held on these websites, and a violation of people's privacy.
Agreed. I embrace what your intention was [Oatman], because your intentions were good. To get the word out about MyVMK and invite other people that may not know about it to begin playing:) But, I did not appreciate receiving an email without my consent from "Uvora" to do so.

oatman

Agreed. I embrace what your intention was [Oatman], because your intentions were good. To get the word out about MyVMK and invite other people that may not know about it to begin playing:) But, I did not appreciate receiving an email without my consent from "Uvora" to do so.
How else would I have received your consent? Emailed you asking for it? lol jk. Anyhow, when you sign up for services realize that your email and any other information you give out is in the hands of those that work or are behind the company you provided it to. I happened to work at OVMK for a short while before we stole the project from Amy (Shamefully) then I decided to return some missing things like the database (which she didn't have) back to her cause she never had the chance to back them up. However I later decided to email people from OVMK informing them about MyVMK in case they never found out about it because I felt bad about what I and the rest of the OVMK team did to Amy. Honestly people are hyping this up worse than it is. :)

Jasmine

At this point, it seems like you guys are beating a dead horse.

Did he have good intentions? Sure. Was it executed poorly? Maybe so. Oh well; get over it.
Be mad if it happens again :P.

my sister and i got the email too i told her not to hit any links just in case since i have gotten emails where it said it was from a friend but it didn't look like it was from a friend. but good to know where it came from

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
How else would I have received your consent? Emailed you asking for it? lol jk. Anyhow, when you sign up for services realize that your email and any other information you give out is in the hands of those that work or are behind the company you provided it to. I happened to work at OVMK for a short while before we stole the project from Amy (Shamefully) then I decided to return some missing things like the database (which she didn't have) back to her cause she never had the chance to back them up. However I later decided to email people from OVMK informing them about MyVMK in case they never found out about it because I felt bad about what I and the rest of the OVMK team did to Amy. Honestly people are hyping this up worse than it is. :)
I understand that by signing up for OVMK that I gave OVMK consent to email me. This being said however, I did NOT give consent for Uvora to send me emails (this is the server when the emails originated from). I could understand it if it was from OVMK servers. But Uvora had no such consent. This thread should be closed actually.. There's no use in it anymore, since much seems to have been cleared up.

All in all, you're right. This got out of hand xD I understand your intentions, no worries. Can a moderator please close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.