who else hates disney??

Azimuth

scatcat's gang
I think we can all agree that new Disney shows are absolutely awful, and I think they are awful for a few reasons. I do agree that Disney seems to be lazy, formulated, and un-creative. The shows are all the same, the only difference being the character's names. And of course they all have to sing, dance, and act (and they have to be terrible at all 3, for the most part). However I also think that Disney isn't as good as it used to be due partially to the fact that people are soo easily offended these days. If you watch old shows or movies, I'm sure you'll spot a couple of things that Disney probably couldn't get away with today without someone making a huge deal out of it. I also definitely think that these new shoes are only directed at young kids, whereas old shows slipped in jokes that only older audiences would understand (I do see these in movies, though).

From the new movies that I've seen, I personally think that Disney is still creating good movies. I've only been to WDW once and that was 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't know how the parks are right now but they seem to be doing fine and just as good as ever. I didn't play Toontown or POTC or PixieHollow, so I can't really judge how their new games are either (they seem well-liked though).

I think I can say that I do hate Disney Channel, but I don't hate the rest of Disney. Even if all of Disney turned to garbage, I don't think I could ever truly hate it since their old movies will always make me happy (and nostalgic). :)

Disney is made up of several sub-companies. Disney Channel, Disney Parks, Walt Disney Animation, Disney Interactive, and Walt Disney Pictures (along with Pixar, Touchstone, ABC, etc.) are practically independent of each other.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone hating all of Disney on the grounds that the Disney Channel has ******** shows or that they've shut down online games.

Disney is awesome. :D
I get what you guys are saying, especially about the Disney Channel. But it's not like there's one head honcho that greenlights all of the Disney productions. While yes, I agree that I don't really see much in the new Disney Channel shows... I feel the need to point out that many many many people work on these shows, bringing them to life. Disney Channel is constantly updating to keep up with their growing up audiences, so the shows are constantly being cycled out. As long as there's a channel, there has to be a show. If the show's not a hit, it's okay because a new one (and hopefully better one) will come along in a few years. And to be frank, it's a kids' channel & Disney is a business. Personally, I think they can get away with cutting corners in their TV programming a lot easier than with a film or theme park attraction. Smaller, rapidly changing audience vs. global audience of all ages.

Stories are difficult to write. Why? There are rules, guidelines, but at the same time, there is no 'formula'. Scripts and TV pilots are constantly floating around from studio to studio (sometimes for years) awaiting a greenlight. The quality of a show mostly depends on the writing.

(I'm a film major.)

BriarRose

☉ taurus ☽ aquarius ↑ leo
I am in love and obsessed with Disney. And although I am not a fan of the new Disney Channel shows we have to keep in mind that they ARE targeted at younger kids. My little sister loves Ant Farm and Jessie and such. They're not really meant to be enjoyed by teenagers and college students.

Ok coming from a huge Dis-nerd here's my take. Like most of you I totally agree that Disney Channel has become nothing but trash, with the few exceptions of Phineas and Ferb and Girl Meets World. I don't think that it will ever change( at least not for the better ). They don't just makes kids shows like they used too, no matter what company is producing them. Oh and don't even get me started with their "Original" movies either.

One of the worst decisions they made(in my opinion) was getting rid of Toon Disney and 1 Saturday Morning. Those were literally my childhood and decided to replace them with Disney XD??? and ABC Kids(which is now educational programming) If you don't remember One Saturday morning watch this:
I'm not sure the reasoning behind all this but it really made me mad at Disney for a long time. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

Another issue I have with Disney is that they decided to no longer do hand drawn animated films. You can hardly tell the difference between Pixar and a regular Disney movie anymore. It's like they have gotten lazy just because their last one failed (Princess and the Frog). Hopefully in the future they wise up. We NEED more 90's Disney type movies.

Now I know this seems like a lot of complaining but honestly I will ALWAYS love Disney. Sure they are a big corporation that is out to make money, but with all the wrong they do there seems to be 10x of better stuff happening. Going to WDW is just a pure magical experience. There's nothing that comes close to it at all. Disney literally transports you into a whole new world (:yay:) and because of that they will always be great. So instead of hating everything Disney(which is impossible) hate the parts that you dislike and love the ones you do.

Bindingkey

I will never hate Disney. I understand things happens, eventually there might come a time when I disagree with something Disney does but ultimately I will never ever hate Disney. It's more than just about nostalgia or memories, I am physically incapable of disliking Disney for the state of its subsidiaries and subcompanies. I have a connection with the Walt Disney Company that clicks with me. The parks (more specifically Walt Disney World) are my second home. The movies (even the new releases) are fresh and amazing every time I watch them. I even flip between Disney Channel and TNT when I'm bored. Everything about my life surrounds Disney and one day I really hope I can work for them and make movies for them.

Given all of this, I'm not blind. I'm not naive, I'm not stupid. I am very aware that half the company doesn't have its ******** together. If anything, this makes me care for the company more, because I can see that a lot of the subcompanies are struggling with half-decent ideas, and I want them to start seeing the problem they're facing.

And really, the problem isn't that their ideas are bad. The shows on Disney Channel are actually not bad ideas in theory, in concept they're actually very clever and interesting. I mean, sure a talking dog with a blog, but what the dog was intended to do for the main characters is actually nice -- the parents buy the dog because their children are step-siblings and begin with a rivalry. Because they discover the dog's secret, they decide to settle their fight for his benefit. Which, if done during the golden age would've been taken to its full potential. Jessie is a nanny for the adopted children of celebrity parents, children of different race and ethnicity, which actually has been addressed a few times. Again, if it were a golden age show it would have been executed perfectly. The problem isn't that their ideas and concepts are terrible, the problem is that the shows, as well as many things in the company, are being used to their full potential and only cover generic plots because it's so much simpler to do that, and younger kids will then flock to these shows because they're just dumbed down. Personally, though, I see promise for the channel now. I mainly watch the channel regularly because I have younger cousins who have been attached to me since I was 10 and now I'm stuck in a commitment with the Disney Channel that I honestly didn't want in the first place. Recently, I have seen some of the newer shows. Liv and Maddie is the only one that will go nowhere, but Girl Meets World is the most similar to the golden age, which is SO refreshing. The last episode alone was impressive enough. While it's still basic in concept, what it's done so far (on its first season no less) has been amazing -- lessons on cultural appropriation and the definition of "pretty" among a couple topics that really stood out to me. Then there's I Didn't Do It, which has a rocky start but I'm still hanging on because of the show's plot development -- the show starts with one scene that's all chaotic and intense in some way and the kids are asked what happened that led up that point and the rest of the episode explains it, and the chain of events are actually, genuinely funny when considering how it all ends.

Don't even try bringing Shake It Up as a counterargument, please. That is literally the only show I never saw hope for. Bella Thorne's acting made me cringe, it brought up extremely problematic issues (and never even tried addressing them in a negative light) and I just felt sorry for Zendaya in every episode because the girl actually has talent and she's wasting it on being Disney Channels go-to girl. Shake It Up is a blemish in an otherwise perfect run of interesting and engaging concepts.

Where Disney Interactive is concerned, I accepted a long time ago that Kingdom Hearts, Epic Mickey and Disney Infinity would be the only real GOOD things to come out of it. The problem here is that DI has only ever focused on using currently owned properties to fuel their games, which isn't actually a bad thing... if that wasn't the only thing they relied on. Literally the one thing all three games I've mentioned have in common is that they borrow other Disney titles. Disney Interactive hasn't tried making something original separate from other the franchises, and it's not like they couldn't. They could easily be on par with Ubisoft and other gaming studios if they pulled themselves together and actually debated on what unique and innovative ideas could they do to make a hit for Disney in the video game world. I have no doubt that Disney could have a completely original fantasy game similar to Legend of Zelda or something. Furthermore, DI has also mainly focused more on mobile games, which again isn't bad... if that wasn't the only thing they relied on. Disney Hidden Worlds and Tsum Tsum are like the only things they have that are both decent and popular among their mobile gaming community, and one of them isn't even promoted as much as it could be. Like, Disney Interactive is a huge mess in even corporate handling, it's a freaking embarrassment. And don't get me started on exactly what my feelings about the Marvel expansion in Disney Infinity are. I have conflicting and intense opinions on why they are overdoing it with releasing all of the major Marvel titles and so few Disney titles within the span of three months. I repeat: a mess in even corporate handling.

Disney parks, I don't have much to complain over, since even when I went to Disneyland several years ago it was still a magical experience despite its obvious uncleanliness and it coming off as more of a side-view amusement park than a magic-filled theme park. While I agree with the whole underwhelment of New Fantasyland, millions and billions of dollars put into a C-grade project that practically looks A+. Be Our Guest and Seven Dwarfs are the only actual impressive things presented. TLM was a nice ride and I still felt the magic, but I mean, it was still a C-ticket. Over the summer my family and I used the MyMagic system and, while it still has a few hurtles and things to fix up, I honestly think people here and people in general are being dramatic, it's not a terrible system. I actually prefer it. And Fastpass+, while ultimately not necessary if you want to and can casually get on rides, it's still useful to have at your disposal for the rides you know are going to have ridiculously long stand-by times. My parents and I just used it so we wouldn't have to worry about not riding specific rides. All in all, we went on attractions like we normally would, the FP+ didn't completely dismantle the casual experience we like. I'm excited for the additions and expansions, as well. I understand why people wouldn't, but at the same time, I just really think people are so dramatic when it comes to the parks. Yes, many of the attractions replaced are classics, but Walt never intended for the parks to stay the same. He expected them to change, to take away and add. Just because you don't want something to go away, or just because want it to be replaced by what is taking its place, doesn't mean it shouldn't see change. You can be upset about it, but in the end your being upset over it doesn't matter.

Bindingkey

For its animated films, I saw someone say you can't tell the difference between Pixar and regular Disney and honestly if you can't then you have a ridiculously skewed idea of what makes an animated film, let alone a Disney animated film. By that logic then, hey, there's no difference between Brave and How To Train Your Dragon. Like, people had been having these comparisons since Dreamworks and Fox tried to battle with Disney in the 90s, so many people assumed Anastasia was a Disney movie. That argument is not new, and it's not some "oh big reveal" on the state of Disney animation, literally this has been an issue Disney has with other animation studios since forever. It may start as "wait is that Disney or Pixar" but we're coming up on that time when Disney is back in the game. After Frozen, people know the difference between Disney and Pixar. Pixar presents you a story, Disney presents you a show. People know this.

While it's a shame hand-drawn has ultimately disappeared from Disney's priorities, I mean people have a right to be upset, but honestly stop complaining. This was going to happen at some point, after Pixar practically helmed feature-length CG animation and made it popular, Disney would follow the trend and then use it to is maximum potential, which it slowly has surpassed the boundaries of. Big Hero 6 alone is going to handle the CG in its fighting sequences much more than Frozen did. I'm saddened by the passing of the hand-drawn division, but showing support for it by diminishing the quality of CG animation is so pathetic, CG animation is just as impressive as hand-drawn. You can accomplish so much with CG, details in landscaping and a person's physical features, one of the big reasons why I love Frozen so much -- CG emphasized and created its cinematography, which is stellar and honestly deserved a Grammy nom for it, and it utilized the characteristics of snow in Norway. Now, we do actually have hope in Disney returning to hand-drawn style in the Paperman animation introduced in 2012, which is a style of CG animation that blends brush strokes to make it look like a hand-drawn figure is 3D. Disney is still developing on it, though. An upcoming feature-length film was supposed to use it, but it's still in beginning stages so who knows.

Where plots are concerned, while Frozen's themes weren't used to their full extent, it doesn't diminish its quality and its charm. It definitely doesn't deserve the amount of success it's received, but again, people are being dramatic. It's not better than the Lion King, my personal opinion, but it's still a very good movie that is rich with archetypal themes and principles that make it a much more deep and emotional film than its portrayed on its surface. People complain about very second of this movie because it's immensely popular. That's not why you should dislike, guys. There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike it, the movie is not perfect. It's not perfect, yet people will prefer to join in on the fun and poke at it being a sub-par movie and act like that is its major imperfection. Every single excuse for disliking it has either been "Olaf doesn't even serve a purpose", which isn't true by the way his purpose is clearly pointed out many times, "Let It Go is just a stupid song", which is only supported by the fact that it's the only song overplayed ad nauseum, which is still not a good reason to dislike something, "It's not as good as Lion King", as if their disliking of Frozen wasn't vague enough, and "The story is so basic", as if Disney is obligated to make their movies in formats to please older people directly. The point of Frozen is to take little kids' expectations of a classic fairy tale and in the end reverse it, which it accomplished, so ultimately it couldn't have a deep, complex plotline. The only reason this entire paragraph centers on Frozen is because I'm pretty sure this was one of the main reasons this thread was made, among other things so please don't attack me for assuming one thing. I addressed other problems in this rant to show that I understand there are other reasons why someone would "hate" Disney. There are problems, I'm not denying that. Frozen is not perfect, I'm not denying that. I'm saying the reasons for hating Disney aren't fully explored. Justified in a sense, but not explored.[DOUBLEPOST=1410793186][/DOUBLEPOST]I had to break my rant into two parts that's how much I feel about this subject

aceastrofan

The one and only...
#OperationBringBackRecess

I'm also still pretty bitter at Disney Channel for filming Cloud 9 at Brighton Resort and putting a set in the middle of the terrain park.